Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
1 2 3 4
NHWM, I have never bought any syrup that wasn't produced locally, and usually I pick it up at the sugar bush itself because I prefer darker, late season syrup that isn't commonly available in stores. When I was a kid mom sometimes used to give us maple syrup with bread and butter for dessert, it was considered a pantry staple.
(3)

I used to find comfort in coming to this site. Now I see a bunch of political diatribes and hatred of our President, which fine you can hate him, but take it somewhere else. There are some people here who for various reasons support the President.

I am, not going to go into why, that is not the purpose of this site.
(8)

Karsten I wouldn't presume to opine on whether or not the policies of your president are good or bad but you can not deny the man has an incredibly abrasive personality. I've made it a point to try to NOT follow American news but his constant tweets ensure he remains the centre of attention, we can't tune it out even when we want to. My god even in Canada his name is in the headlines every.single.day.
(4)

cwillie, you may be right. The point is this is not the place to talk about it when we have people from different backgrounds. Lets focus on agingcare.
(6)

cwille,

I love the flavor of maple. I would have loved your childhood snack!
(1)

Karsten and others.
Sorry to offend.
I do apologize for my ignorant attempts to make light of a very serious issue, and agree politics should be left out of AgingCare forums and conversations, because AC has asked us to.
(2)

Karsten I would hazard to say that Trump leaves himself wide open for criticism when you consider the things he says about others. Making personal attacks on others is his M O .

My comments about him have nothing to do with politics just as most of the sexist, racist comments he makes on a regular basis have nothing to do with politics. In other words, he is fair game as far as I'm concerned. So I'm not going to apologize for what I say about him until he apologizes for the hurtful things he says.
(5)

I agree, Gershun. I don’t feel like your comments are out of line. It’s your opinion on his personality. Not necessarily a political discussion.
(3)

CWillie, Gershun, NeedHelp, SendHelp and anyone else I might have missed, on this alleged political issue:

I'm the one to apologize, if that's necessary.  

I don't think Send is to blame, but I applaud her courage and sense of honor in apologizing.  I extend the same to CWillie, Gershun and NeedHelp, and anyone else who's commented on this issue.

Nor do I think ANYONE else has been out of line, especially in observations on the character, public behavior, and/or vulgar language of ANYONE in a position of power, respect, and/or in a public forum.

To Karsten and others who find offense in selected comments, I did address behavior, friction and similar issues in my first post, and those are a fact of life, even observed in some of the online reports from other countries.    It was NOT my intent to produce more detailed discussions, and I don't think that any of those named above intended that either.

Nor were my remarks on what happens in November limited to political issues.   There are derivative issues on land use, the environment, health care and more which may turn on the election.   

Karsten. I understand that  you may have read into my initial references, or others' comments, a desire to segue into political issues.   That also was not my intent; I respect your and other's desires to avoid highly charged issues.   But I also feel that public behavior needs to meet certain standards of propriety, and that applies to everyone, from public officials to inebriated individuals in public places.   That's NOT political; it's a matter of decency.

I also think that this crosses the line into respect on ALL levels of threads and posts here.    Politics isn't the only topic on which responses segue from helpful into what I consider personal attacks.

I saw this happening in the last few weeks:  friction, hostility, criticism, unfounded conclusions, and what I thought were embarrassing and unhelpful comments.    Some of the comments were worse than some political observations.   Some behaviors go way beyond political issues and reflect an individual's character.

And that's just as unwelcome and inappropriate.

And now, it's back to maple syrup issues.   

NeedHelp, CWillie, Totham, and other syrup lovers:  do any of you have access to trees to make your own syrup?   My father grew up in a rural, farm type area.  The son of one of his long time neighbors grows maple trees, gathers the sap and makes his own syrup.  

I've always thought that would be exciting and fun, not to mention healthier as it wouldn't have high fructose corn syrup.   At one time I even though about adding maples to my garden.    But I did eventually become more realistic, well, just a little bit more realistic. 

I also grew buckwheat one year with the plans of grinding it into flour for pancakes, as they did with the grain they grew on his family's farm.  But the cardinals found a need before I had a chance.   One morning I found 12, yes, TWELVE cardinals in my buckwheat garden.

Since I like cardinals and enjoy hearing and seeing them, I decided to let them keep their special buckwheat garden.    No buckwheat flour for us that year, but there's always the next year....
(4)

GA,

No apology needed. Thanks for offering. You weren’t offensive. Nor was Gershun. No blame on anyone. The discussion truly wasn’t even a ‘heavy’ political matter, just opinions on character and personality.

Besides it only was a couple of minor posts. No one went on and on and on. The topic mainly discussed was in regard to Canada and has been very interesting.

It would be so cool to make my own syrup! A lot more fun than collecting honey! Hahaha, the risk of bee stings! I like molasses as well. I’m not much on the flavor of refined white sugar. I love the other flavors. I love maple syrup and either almond or peanut butter in my oatmeal for breakfast.

I adore Cardinals too.
(2)

The Houston Astros cheated by stealing signs in the World Series a couple years back. Its true, it really is, but we don't talk about it here as it is not relevant

When Gershun calls Trump some yellow headed doofus, its not relevant. Yes he does the same thing, But you are going down to the same level

I am leaving this forum, which is a shame as there are lots of good people here and good advice.

People just seem to insist to talk about the president, who yes is abrasive, and so did the Astros steal signs.
(4)

My husband loves Agave syrup.
It can get expensive.

GA,
Love your topic for this thread. I have experienced the same inquiry for myself, immigrating to Canada. I have also explored how retirees live in other countries and on islands. They are called ex-pats and some live in specific communities with other ex-pats.

When a relative traveled to a Carribean Island and got very sick from bites on her legs, I realized the old saying: The grass is always greener on the other side. Shortly thereafter, the relatives living there had to evacuate due to a major destructive storm, moving back home to the U.S.
(1)

Send,

I have wanted to try Agave. Heard it’s good.
(1)

Karsten,

No one meant to offend anyone. Just passing comments on the man’s personality. That’s it.

It may not be of interest or relevance to you. We understand that but to many it is of relevance. You seem to be the only one that is upset.

You have not contributed to the topic we are discussing which is Canada. Your contribution on GA’s thread has only been criticism of us due to a very small portion of the conversation. We have all said more about Canada than what you are complaining about. So, I hope that puts into perspective how small of a discussion it was.

What were passing comments from us became a major objection for you. Not picking on you. I don’t have anything against anyone on this forum. We all relate to certain people more than others but I wish everyone well.

I absolutely respect that the topic does have relevance. No one asked for you to agree on anything. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

The comments were in line with the topic. Nothing was wildly out of context. People have become so overly sensitive and offended at just about everything. Just don’t visit that particular thread if it bothers you.

If you leave over a very short conversation that is sad but if that is your choice and I wish you well.

All of these women have been wonderful participants of aging forum and I thoroughly enjoy their input.

Oh, and if you want to talk about baseball, football, basketball or any other sport please do. Won’t bother me. People talk about whines, cooking, faith based topics, music, sports and all kinds of things. Hey, that’s what makes the world go around. I like people with various interests. Even if I would not personally find something relevant in my life I respect their viewpoint.
(2)

My spouse's mother was born in Toronto and was a Canadian citizen. So eligible under the family relationship rules. When checking into this, here is what I found on the Canadian government website for immigration:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/eligibility.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada.html

Did you want to become a Canadian citizen? Canada has eligibility requirements that skew heavily towards younger, high skilled workers. If you are retired, unless you have quite a pile of money to invest in a Canadian business, they don't want you.

I suppose you can buy a home and live there as a non citizen, but accessing health care would be a problem. Medicare does not cover you in Canada. If you live in a US/Canada border area, you can return to the US for medical care under Medicare.

If you have newly moved to Canada and been there for a specific number of months, you may have access to limited health care, like some emergency services, but may need to pay bills out of pocket. You don't just get universal provincial coverage by just moving there as an alien resident.
https://immigration.findlaw.ca/article/can-non-citizens-get-free-health-care/

I'd get in touch with an immigration attorney who is very familiar with Canadian requirements. It's not easy to immigrate to Canada (or any other country for that matter,) if you are a senior citizen. That's why a lot of seniors who move from the US go to low cost areas like Mexico and Central America, since health care is inexpensive enough to pay out of pocket.
(2)

BBS,

Takes some research doesn’t it? Many people do leave our country and retire elsewhere. There is a lot to consider.

Do you visit Canada? Did you like it?
(0)

Send, I won't deny that I've been influenced by the ex-pats and the groups they formed in France during WWI.    Can you imagine the intellectual stimulation of meeting Fitzgerald, Stein or Hemingway?  

During the "Beatnik" period, I frequented a local book store owned by someone who could have passed intellectually for an ex-pat.   He had a huge bushy beard, and often could be found with an employee or two and some customers, deeply engaged in conversations about Joyce and his works as well as other literary challenges.   I loved that atmosphere.

NeedHelp, good analysis and rationale on politics.  Thanks for that posting.  I would add that over the past several months folks on the other side of the aisle have compromised threads with their own political positions and the threads had to be closed.

Karsten, I vaguely remember that sometime in the last few years you lost someone, a parent, I believe, and got a lot of good advice from posters.   I think that's a better position from which to view others here.   To the best of my recollection, we were here for you when you needed it.

I also think that NeedHelp makes some very good points in terms of perspective.   However, it's your choice and if you feel you need to "leave", I wish you well in whatever your life goals are.

NeedHelp, as to Agaves, I've been thinking about getting some as I'm going to revamp my garden this year, but will have to do some research on their ability to tolerate our changeable weather, which tomorrow will bring 50 degree temps when the norms would be 20s or 30s.   

That's another issue for Canadian living: how climate change will affect the various areas.  

BBS, you raise some very good points.  I had assumed that eventually I would apply for citizenship.    I'm not encouraged though that old folks aren't necessarily desired!  I would have thought that in some ways we would be, b/c we have retirement funds, and I'm assuming that I would still get SS.   In addition, we're past the age of employment and wouldn't be competing for good jobs with the native population.

I think right now the issue is crystallizing around health care.    So, clearly, I need to do some research, and really appreciate the links you found.     This may resolve some issues before I go any farther and I may end up just visiting.

It seems I have a lot to think about.    Moving isn't quite as easy as it may seem.   At least I don't have to make a decision right away, as I still have my father's house to dispose of, and a lot of work to do on my own house.  

Perhaps that's why the issue of moving is more appealing.   Finding contractors has become a real challenge, and I don't anticipate it to be any better as I age.   There's also the lack of stimulating intellectual opportunities, but I could find that by moving west to a college town.

Thanks for your insights.  I appreciate the time folks are taking to offer insights.
(0)

BBS raises some very good points - Canada is not interested in a flood of people moving here in their senior years simply to access our healthcare, the system is already having difficulty handling our own burgeoning senior population.
(1)

cwille,

I get that. People who live there already should have preference over incoming people. The flip side, I totally get why some people want to leave our country. There are various legitimate reasons for desiring to leave. It’s not just a preference for a specific type of healthcare.

Other than the maple syrup what other food or beverages is Canada known best for? Or what’s your favorite food where you are?
(0)

GA,

Oh yeah, climate would be a big factor with gardening. What about a greenhouse though? Does that appeal to you? My MIL grew a lot in her greenhouse.

I love your passion for gardening. My grandpa had that same passion for his garden. He could grow anything!

He could build anything too. He was a master carpenter, a shipbuilder. He would build us things with the left over wood.

My favorite was a pair of stilts. I got so good I could walk all the way around the block! I was and still am tiny. I felt like a big shot on those stilts. I truly love old fashioned toys. I loved spinning those wooden tops with the string. I was really good at that but I was horrible with a yo-yo. My brothers were good at both. They did the yo-yo tricks. I never could.

Grandpa used to make those wooden puzzles. Those were fun to play with! Now everything is made of plastic. I hate plastic!

Grandpa had flowers in the front of house. Veggies in the back. I used to help him plant bulbs. It was fun helping him. He was larger than life to me when I was a kid. I was 16 when he died.
(0)

a person who _believes_ his/her tastes in a particular area are superior to those of other people

is the anathema of

due regard for the feelings, wishes, rights, or traditions of others
(1)

TN,

Don’t think anyone on this thread feels superior in any way. I know that I don’t. I’m pretty ordinary. It’s interesting to hear what everyone likes or even dislikes. Would be horribly boring if we were all the same.

I don’t want to be around clones of myself. My husband and I are very different. Some of my friends have different taste but we respect each other and it’s fun to be with a variety of people with different interest, some like ours, some different.

I do admire discerning taste or preferences. Many of us have that. I adore dark chocolate. I won’t touch white chocolate but I don’t care if others like it. I can eat milk chocolate but still prefer dark chocolate.
(1)

KARSTEN- please do NOT leave. Politics divide people. Yet, some people keep bringing it up. That's unfortunate. Trump haters (especially Hollywood elites) spew all kind of ugly comments yet they complain that he is abrasive. Go figure.
(3)

As I stated already Trump leaves himself wide open for criticism and if someone wants to leave the forum because of loyalty to him go right ahead. I doubt he would do the same for you.
(2)

Trump and ALL politicians are fair games for criticism because they are public figures. As I said, politics are divisive. I hope Admin will delete all the comments that mention politics in this thread.
(2)

And this is why I deliberately try to avoid even hearing about American politics. Bye all.
(1)

NHWM,

Canadian Foods:

Nanaimo Bars, Naa, Ni, Mo a three layer square made with graham wafer crumbs, coconut, Birds Custard Powder (no substitute) icing sugar and chocolate on the top.

Butter Tarts, yummy, can be made as a bar, but the tarts are best, with homemade pastry.

Poutine, Poo Tin, Fries, with cheese curds and gravy is the original, but there are many variations.

Relish on hamburgers.

Vinegar on fries, malt or white vinegar. I always take packages with me when I travel to the US.

Here on the West Coast foods are influenced by Asia and India. You will find Samosas at Deli counters, Butter Chicken on diner menus etc.
(2)

I am only going to repeat this once more. No one was purposely trying to offend anyone. It was not a long, lengthy ‘political’ discussion. Nothing was wildly out of context. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

The majority of the discussion is about CANADA. READ IT! Put it in perspective.

If anyone wants to place blame then blame me because I asked if the debate was watched. I didn’t even use the word ‘presidential.’ I hardly consider that offensive or a long discussion. I clearly said that my reference was to DENMARK because of the quality of living which is being discussed. We are discussing quality of lifestyles in different areas of the world. Period!

I am not personally offended if someone discusses politics in regard to healthcare. I think there are differences of opinions and some common ground needs to be reached. People need to become interested in common goals. I’m not Republican or Democrat. I’m an registered as an Independent.
(2)

The diversions on this thread are bringing up some good topics.

NeedHelp, I had a recipe for a Canadian pie, or something similar.   I haven't made it in years but remember that it was delicious.   Now I'm going to want to go through all my recipes to find it!  

I do like Canadian bacon, although I don't know if it's really Canadian or that's just a descriptive term.    I often think of the voyageurs when I think of Canadian food; I still have visions of them wearing animal hats with a furry tail and canoeing in solo on back country rivers. 

And, diverging once more, has anyone done any archaeological exploration in Canada?    My geology class went twice to a site which was fascinating, the Rock Glen Devonian geologic cut, on the Canadian AuSable River.   

It was fascinating, and  beautiful, as were other areas we visited before arriving at the cut.   Ipperwash Park was beautiful, mysterious and solitary and fossil laden.   We just plopped down on the sand, got it in our clothes and shoes, but looking for fossils was so exciting we just focused on what we could find, and felt like real archaeologists.

On the subject of gardening and greenhouses, yes, I really want a greenhouse.  I'd love a Victorian conservatory, but couldn't afford it - it's a luxury.   If I do stay where I am, I'm going to add a cold frame to my garage, and set aside some space w/I the garage for the 3 shelf flora cart my mother used to start her seedlings.

Your father and mine would have gotten along well.  Dad also was a builder.   Even during his last year he was still reading wood magazines and designing projects.    He built a beautiful butcher block cabinet and counter system which lines one entire wall of a storage room, which I now call the butler's panty (posh, posh!).    I wish I'd had the foresight to learn as much as I could from him.

And on a related subject, I found  2 trade schools interested in his tools; I planned to donate them.  One has a special day for Vets only to work in the shops.   Once I started working on cleaning the shed, I found that probably half the tools are missing.  All the drills, most of the sanders, a circular saw and I don't recall what else disappeared.

There's been no break-in, so the disappearance occurred while he was still alive.  I have 2 suspects in mind, but I know they'll deny taking the tools even  if Dad gave them permission.   

I really had planned to use those tools though.
(2)

Tothill,

Interesting. Different cuisine than here!
(0)

1 2 3 4
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter