Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
I understand, but look at the context, the whole chapter, of that verse in I Samuel. King Saul had not fully obeyed God and was being rebuked through Samuel. That's different from Abraham's obedience and willingness to sacrifice. Hebrews 11:17 and 19 tell us a part of the story that Genesis does not.
(4)

Yoda,

You’re right. We do have to look at the entire picture. Thanks.
(1)

I am reading "Boundaries" which takes a scriptural approach to relationships with others - he shows that putting others first is not always biblical or the right thing to do. Very useful read as my extended family uses Bible passages to try to manipulate me.
(4)

Oh yes, the manipulative use of Bible verses. There's an old thread here about that. With some relatives, you have to tell them that there are also healthy boundaries in marriage which they must respect. There's a book on that too.
(2)

Yoda and everyone,
Thank you. I am trying to think of someone I can talk to. Actually, there is a man at church whom I've talked with before who I know is willing to listen, but the problem is finding the time when he's available. When my life calms down from other things and I am more settled in my own life, other than mum business, I will talk to him about it
(3)

Hope that works, but sometimes to unplug those hot guilt buttons take a little more than a good friend who listens well.
(1)

Porthcrawl,

That’s a start. It’s a good first step.
(2)

NHWM- I think that obedience may at times require sacrifice of our own thoughts and desires.

Let me explain my thoughts if I can.
I am working on being more obedient. Which in turn requires sacrifice on my part. I am trying to be more like Mary than Martha. To sit at the feet of Jesus more. We often stand above HIM rather than sit at HIS feet.
We allow ourselves to get too busy to pray, to search and study the scriptures, to meditate on the word. We can just allow all the cares of the world, including being entertained, and doing what makes us feel good, that we totally can forget about Jesus. Martha was so concerned with this and that ( I am such a Martha), and Mary was concerned with what was most important, Jesus. I am trying to be a Mary, to sit at Jesus feet and not stand over HIM by putting myself and everyone else and everything else above HIM. So in order for me to sit at Jesus feet and to be obedient in loving HIM with all my heart, mind and soul, I will have to sacrifice what my flesh wants and do what my Spirit needs. And my Spirit Hungers for HIM. Yet I do not feed my Spirit as oft as I wish. I must sacrifice my routine to gain a new routine that involves giving HIM my firstfruits, not my leftovers.
Anyway this may not make sense. But these are the things I am working on and am praying on.

And to love him with all the heart, and with all the understanding, and with all the soul, and with all the strength, and to love his neighbour as himself, is more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices.
Mark 12:33
(7)

Good explanation, smeshque

Yes, we have all been like Martha in our lives, haven’t we? To strive to be more like Mary is admirable.
(2)

NTDY
The man I talked about is also a pastor and I've had very helpful talks with him before. :)
(3)

Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;

2 Corinthians 3:5
(5)

Amen, smeshque! Thank you ❤️
(2)

Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

Ephesians 4:28
(2)

Smeshque: Thank you for that. I needed a reminder.
(1)

You do your best in the power of the Holy Spirit and He will sustain you as well. Last night I was going over the day in my mind and I realized the tasks that were required of me to care for my husband, while they sometimes feel overwhelming, God has given me strength to do.
You are not being asked to put your self aside, but realize where your strength comes from.
We all struggle with am I enough and God assures us we are.
If you literally are becoming physically ill, then you need to care for yourself before you can be any good for your loved one
(3)

I ask for prayers for my family and I as a complicated family matter has risen and we want to make the right choices and wait on God to lead us. We need prayers. Prayers for wisdom and the right words, and the right actions. Thank you.

“But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.”
Hebrews 11:6
(4)

Praying for you, Smeshque 💗
(2)

John MacArthur writes: "Why is biblical discernment important?"
In its simplest definition, discernment is nothing more than the ability to decide between truth and error, right and wrong. Discernment is the process of making careful distinctions in our thinking about truth. In other words, the ability to think with discernment is synonymous with an ability to think biblically.
First Thessalonians 5:21-22 teaches that it is the responsibility of every Christian to be discerning: "But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good; abstain from every form of evil." The apostle John issues a similar warning when he says, "Do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world" (1 John 4:1). According to the New Testament, discernment is not optional for the believer-it is required.
The key to living an uncompromising life lies in one's ability to exercise discernment in every area of his or her life. For example, failure to distinguish between truth and error leaves the Christian subject to all manner of false teaching. False teaching then leads to an unbiblical mindset, which results in unfruitful and disobedient living-a certain recipe for compromise.
Unfortunately, discernment is an area where most Christians stumble. They exhibit little ability to measure the things they are taught against the infallible standard of God's Word, and they unwittingly engage in all kinds of unbiblical decision-making and behavior. In short, they are not armed to take a decidedly biblical stand against the onslaught of unbiblical thinking and attitudes that face them throughout their day.
Discernment intersects the Christian life at every point. And God's Word provides us with the needed discernment about every issue of life. According to Peter, God "has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness, through the true knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence" (2 Peter 1:3). You see, it is through the "true knowledge of Him," that we have been given everything we need to live a Christian life in this fallen world. And how else do we have true knowledge of God but through the pages of His Word, the Bible? In fact, Peter goes on to say that such knowledge comes through God's granting "to us His precious and magnificent promises" (2 Peter 1:4).
Discernment -- the ability to think biblically about all areas of life -- is indispensable to an uncompromising life. It is incumbent upon the Christian to seize upon the discernment that God has provided for in His precious truth! Without it, Christians are at risk of being "tossed here and there by waves, and carried about by every wind of doctrine" (Ephesians 4:14).
(4)

Good word. Add to that Hebrews 5:14. Part of the problem is people still feeding on spiritual milk instead of spiritual meat by which our minds are transformed and out lives not conformed to the world as Romans 12 speaks of.
(3)

Smeshque: Prayers sent posthaste to you dear lady. I hope everything will work out in God's good timing.
(1)

Prayers for all and believing with you.

Hugs and strength to you for this journey my sister in Christ.
(1)

Obedience is better than sacrifice

Answer to trivia question
(2)

“By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.”
John 13:35
(3)

Pray for New Orleans please. Demolition of the Hard Rock Hotel that partially collapsed and deaths and injuries occurred several days ago.

Authorities have begged people not to try and watch the demolition because it isn’t safe to be close to explosions. I hope people listen. They may even have to evacuate hotel rooms that are nearby.

It’s a mystery why this construction failed. Some say the concrete. Some say the engineers. Some say the construction company. It could be anything.

Thanks for prayers to keep people safe during the demolition.
(2)

Will pray for them.

This week has been super hard on me. DH and I had a job out of town to do. It took all week and we just completed today. With our responsibilities here at home we cannot work all day or stay out of town overnight, so we drive far and can only work about 4 hours and have to drive back. Rough but thank the Lord HE helped us get it done.
Mom stayed home, I am ok with that since AB is next door and He checks on her throughout the time we are gone. They are great company for each other as well, thank the Lord.
Mom has been doing great, thank the Lord. Since I began her on moringa, her BP is good and she seems to have more better days and not alternate between good and bad. And it seems her mind has become sharper. I also have introduced sage tea. This has a great affect on memory issues and it has also been used in Alzheimer patients with positive outcomes.
So I am getting us all use to drinking it. Infused Sage with honey, lemon.
AB has also been doing better with memory issues. He was having such a hard time after his stroke, but he seems almost back to normal. I have been giving him wild lettuce for his arthritis pains and it seems to be helping his hands and helping him rest better.
Well everyone seems to be doing better, thank the Lord. But, I have been having a dreadful toothache keeping me up at night. So DH made me an appointment Monday for the dentist and has insisted i go take care of the issue.
He says if your in pain and not sleeping how can you help everyone else. I thought wow that is so nice that he connects those dots and took matters in his own hands.
So I guess I will go.
I hope everyone on AC is doing well. I have missed a lot this week.
Everyday that I wake up and I give God my time first, it turns out to be a much better less stressful day. HE gives me more patience and gentleness. But if I begin moving about and do not give HIM my first fruits, I can sure feel it by the end of day, how I neglected the most important one.
I am in training process to get myself where I never move about before I spend time with HIM. I pray you all do as well. Not because we have to. But because we are so aware of the love and grace that is bestowed upon HIS children that we want to please our Father and be as night unto HIM as possible.

“I have set the LORD always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved.”
Psalms 16:8
(4)

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Hebrews 11:1
(3)

"A cheerful look brings joy to the heart, and good news gives health to the bones.” —Proverbs 15:30
(1)

“Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.” —Psalm 51:10–12
(3)

And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.
1 Timothy 3:16
(3)

1 Timothy 6:15-16
"Which He will bring about at the proper time--He who is the blessed and only Sovereign, the King of kings and Lord of lords, who alone possesses immortality and dwells in unapproachable light, whom no man has seen or can see To Him be honor and eternal dominion!" Amen.
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter