Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Susan.....as always, you are smart, thoughtful, informed, have a plan.....and I know you are organized and disciplined (how else could you run a business from home while cg'vng your Mom at the same time?!).....

Sweetie....I will be your biggest cheerleader......you are so smart to focus on this now.....now that Mom is sadly gone, it's time for good things for you!.....and your health and future happiness should be #1.....

If only we didn't live in the "oh so d*mn cold" North of Beyond, I'd be out walking everyday!.....well.....that's been my story for a while.....lol....

Cheering for you....and me, too....so tough!!!
(7)

Excellent Susan!
(3)

Blackhole & Send -

I'm back on track with my eating since yesterday. No sugars, no cravings, lots of water, lots of veggies and protein. Feeling better already about that. I've decided I need to discuss this with the doc at my appt. tomorrow so I have it on record that I am trying to lose weight. Many of the health problems I am having are directly related to my weight, and I know it. My only other alternative is weight loss surgery, and I don't want to go that route if I can help it. I know I can do it myself, I just have to stay dedicated to it - which will be far easier once DD moves out, because she and her kids eat TONS of junk food. If it's in the house where I can see it all the time, it's very hard to resist. (Fortunately, since I'm working from bed, I'm not in the kitchen much, so I don't see it - therefore, I don't eat it.)

Sooo, I'm going on record here and now in saying that I am giving myself 12 months - 1 year - to lose the weight I need to lose. If I can't stay on track and lose at least 75% of what I want to lose in that amount of time, then I need to look at surgery. But if I am successful, surgery won't be necessary. It's a pretty powerful motivator. I don't *want* to have surgery. One of my siblings had it and has had a *lot* of problems afterwards - and she has started regaining weight and has to be very careful of what she eats. It's not a permanent fix - you have to work at it like anything else. Sure, she eliminated the obesity-related health issues, but now she has other issues related to the surgery - so she traded one set of problems for another. So if I have to work at it anyway, why not do it the natural way and not cutting my body up and adding unnecessary risk?
(4)

Blackhole,
Went to a restaurant, ordered to go a full meal for each of us, (2), spent $44, our entire eating out budget (we usually share), and exactly what we wanted.

That cured me, it was good, no cravings because we have gone 3+ days without fast food. Wanting to return to healthy fruits and vegetables now, so will be getting a nice discipline on.....tomorrow.

The holidays are over, and I am missing nothing! Have everything we need, and too too much of what we want.
(3)

"....**had** a nice discipline going....." [Sheesh, clumsy typing.]
(0)

Having a hard time snapping out of "holiday eating mode." I has a nice little discipline going -- until my Office Potluck Day, the week before Christmas.

I always give myself some slack around the holidays. Loved ones can pull the dammdest stunts and crowded stores can be irritating, but homemade baked goods never disappoint! Nor does fudge. Or cheese.

But OK now. The social aspect has died down; the decorations are packed away. But my appetite is still in overdrive! Time to downshift.
(2)

Send,
It's a wonder we didn't strangle or otherwise maim ourselves with that tether ball
(3)

The cake walk to music in the school yard was always fun, as was tetherball-which could be played alone when it was never you who would win that cake.
(2)

You are welcome, Donna. You can always count on me to bring things down to a grade school level. :)
(3)

Gershen, thank you...lol. I haven't heard that expression since grade school.
(2)

I would, you had the good spirits to make that gesture and their products probably stole some of you joy.
(2)

Welcome to the party, Donna

Mom was asleep in her wheelchair after eating her ice cream when I arrived at the hotel California tonight so I snuck down to her room to remove the Xmas decorations and out up new stuff - the dang valentines heart garland got all tangled up so I shook it and made it worst - think I can return it to target and ask them how they have the nerve to sell something in such disarray ?
(2)

I don't have to behave badly. My Mom told terrible stories about me:
She told people I took her to Walmart and left her there without money, keys or ID. She told the people in her highrise, her healthcare/day center people. The truth is there's a police report and a video, she left her stuff in the van, then in the store... I walked away from her and she checked out, walked to back of parking lot and disappeared. I searched for 2 1/2 hours before involving police. They saw the video and told me she was on camera leaving the store 2 1/2 ago. They searched the store and was calling for reinforcements and sending someone to her appartment, when my phone rang a neighbor/friend from her building called she was at their appartment telling the tale already. They knew I wouldn't do that so they called me. TG for their call, it could've landed on the news...
I 've been trying to reenter the work force. I got a seasonal job. She told people I moved across the country and left her alone.
These are my favorites...
(3)

High in protein.
(1)

Beans, beans, the magical fruit, the more you eat the more you toot, the more you toot, the better you feel, so eat your beans at every meal.

Ta Da!!!
(4)

Ali, Another way to think about resolutions is, you don't get a pass. The holidays are past, time to put your nose to the grindstone and get to work making a great life for yourself.
Was that mean? If someone said that to me, I would cry.
Where did that phrase come from, anyway? Nose would hurt if anyone did that!

Let's all just save the guilt and cancel the New Years resolutions early, ok?
(3)

MsMadge, Thanks for the implied challenge.
Challenging all brats, where are you?
(1)

Ok, Having beans to add a little music with the blue lights.

Just knew you would come up with something, Gershun! Thanks!
(2)

Send hang the lights all around your toilet area. Nothing like a festive bowel movement............right? HO HO HO!
(3)

Both of those ideas sound lovely to me, Send. I wouldn't do them at MY house, but... lol xoxoxoxo

On a serious note, I did make 2 resolutions (really they combine into 1) and so far haven't put the slightest bit of effort or planning into them but it's been one crazy week, so I get a pass. But I resolved to read 1 hour and run (or walk/jog) 1 hour each week. Both are calming, mind-slowing exercises and I need it for my well being because I have so much going on, I should regularly practice slooooooooooowwwwwwwwiinnggg dooooooowwwnn. So far, not so good, but still hopeful. It's been such a busy busy week.

Anyone else have some things they thought about for Life Goals kind-of-thing? We don't need a New Year to make changes that need to be made, but I'm rather glad for the push to reflect and "start anew."
(2)

OR, I could hang them from the ceiling fan, or across the headboard of the bed.
Any docorators on here with ideas?
(1)

Well, as starters, I made No resolutions at all. Both Christmas and New Years came too early for me to catch up this year.
Thinking of leaving the lights up all year to save time for next year.
(3)

There are none so bratty as me....or are there, anyone?

Forget it, I can just see the answers now......"Oh, it's okay Send, we're going to let you have that one".
(1)

Goodnight Gershun!
(1)

They made a resolution to let you be the first to post this year!
(3)

Did everyone make a resolution to behave nicely in 2017?
(2)

MsMadge...How kind of you to take treats in to the hotel California.What a HUGE heart you have~I hope your rainy,cold weather didn't mess up your plans for the track...Any donuts left?
(3)

Happy New Year everyone!

Mom and my estranged adult son have been weighing heavy on my mind today. Missing Mom a lot - driving by her NH and seeing the parking lot filled with people visiting loved ones didn't help. I swear, the van wanted to just turn right into the parking lot by itself. I kept feeling like I should just be able to pull in and go see her. Then I'd have to remind myself that I couldn't. Thinking about my son as well, and calling him "my estranged son" seems strange, but it's the truth, and I need to admit that to myself. He has estranged himself from us, cutting off all avenues of communication, and has not bothered even to call or contact us on special occasions, like holidays. I hope one day I hear from him again - I sure think of him a lot.

I'm trying to look forward to 2017 with positive thoughts. I'm planning on getting rid of a problematic client that I've had for over a year that has given me nothing but stress and hassle since day 1. That alone is a positive thought! I get stressed just thinking about that client - everything about them has been a hassle and a struggle since day 1. It's high time to cut ties with them. I have a few potential clients that may come on board in January, so I'm not worried about the loss of income from the problem client (it wasn't that much income anyway). In the summer, my siblings and I will take Mom's ashes back to her homeland and scatter them where we placed Dad's, per her wishes. It will be hard, but it will also be closure.
(4)

I bought party snacks and ordered a sandwich tray to take to the hotel California this afternoon for a little NYE celebration

But it's dark cold and heavy rain is expected all afternoon and I don't want to go out - It's been so long since we've had real rain that I don't even know where an umbrella is

Maybe I'll feel better after another cup of coffee and a donut or maybe not

Happy New Years everyone
(4)

Well this might make you laugh. I made steak with gravy. Never been good on rice, used to buy it from chinese when I needed it. So, to engage my mother, I asked her to make the rice. Gave her the container that had the rice in it. I go upstairs to gather my laundry and see pot filled with rice almost done. I turned it down. I do laundry come back and there's more water in pot. So I'm like, Ma why you put more water in rice. She say its not rice its grits and insisted it was grits. The rice had cooked so long it looked like grits. So I was like, let me fix my steak and gritts to take for lunch tomarrow. Im having my lunch now, these grits taste like rice. :)
(4)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter