Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
I was Freddy Kruger, of course! Hahaha!
(2)

Which one were you, Stacey? And why were you knocking on your own door?
(1)

I just had 3 Army Soldiers, a Copper, a Hipee, Freddy Kruger and a Roman Empress knocking at my door or Tricks and Treats! The little girl who said (in her little girl voice) she was a Roman Empress was all of about 6 years old, Lol! It was Hysterical!
(4)

Does anyone think I am too old to go knock on my neighbor's door, say 'trick or treat?'. I wouldn't need a costume.
(4)

Ms. Madge,
That doesn't sound safe to live that way. It is good you have the presence of mind to provide Mom private caregivers.
What do you think aout a residential care facility near your home? An RCCFE, think they are called a six-pack often, because they take six people.
(2)

Happy trick or treating
(3)

Rooting for the Cubs, since the Jays didn't make it to the world series.

Go Cubs!!
(2)

FF
I agree - I think you got lucky with the facility where your dad was
Mom's takes all levels and I suspect some would be turned away elsewhere

The man directly across the hall is only 67 and hits his fists and on mom's birthday when I was getting her dressed for dinner he entered her room and shut the door - he was fairly new to the facility and frankly I was scared - I gently got him back out in the hall only to see his wife and private aide standing there - I gave them both the stink eye and reported it to the nurse

Since the facility has nearly doubled in size in the past year they don't seem to have any separation by stage of the disease and all are allowed to roam where they want as its their residence

Mom always locks the door but at some point she won't be able to plus the lock is a bit sticky

Just as concerning to me is that staff doesn't always know or intervene when residents get violent with each other - I have even been hit and chased a couple of times and I at least have a chance to protect myself but not my 93 year old mom
(3)

Thinking of going all grey in this wig. Wouldn't want hubs to feel bad, as he picked up lots of grey in only 4 weeks of work.
(3)

MsMadge, I would be uneasy knowing there was a person who lived on the floor who would enter rooms and not be user friendly.

Where my Dad stayed in memory care, it seemed like the quad of 6 apartments in that section of the building that the residents had the same stage of dementia and everyone was pretty friendly. One lady was grumpy and demanding all the time but only with the Staff.

My Dad kept his door opened all day long as he liked looking out into the common living room for that quad, from his recliner, as it gave him a sense of living in a larger place. Plus if his next door neighbor, another gentleman, would walk by they would chat.

Then I noticed the next quad of 6 apartments, the residents had dementia/Alzheimer's that was further along. Another quad, none of the doors were ever opened, thus probably the residents were bedridden.
(2)

Lu
Mom's memory care sometimes seems like a psych unit - when I complained about a man coming into her room and grabbing her - luckily private aid was there to intervene - the response I got was - he likes to go in there
(2)

Ali,
Fun game tonight - fingers crossed for Tuesday
(2)

They go back to Cleveland now, down 3 games to 2 in the Series, best of 7. Cubs fans are the best fans. They are singing "Go, Cubs, Go" song. It's so much fun and nostalgia. :-)
(5)

CUBS WIN, 3-2!!! Time to celebrate first World Series home game win since '45. I don't think Cubbies will win the WS, but who cares. What a fantastic series, and so great to see them being a solid team.
(4)

MsMadge....It was in a psychiatric unit this happened."Arthur" didn't have dementia,he was just mad at his wife.The lady got $25.00 to replace her pretty gown when she was released days later.
(3)

Lu
That sounds about right

Mom's room is at the end of the hall around a corner that you can't see from the tv room

When no one is around in the evening she heads for the hallway she can see and goes in the first room to use the loo

Once she opened the armoir pulled out a moo moo one got in the 2nd empty bed
The primary resident is very late stage and screams like a wild animal
When mom's purse goes missing we know which room to check first

Problem with men coming into her room is that they get physical and one blow to her at 93 on unstable feet would be a disaster
(3)

Ms Madge I think Mom could use it on the wandering men. You can just use the light or make it flash and it even does SOS (For use when the nurses take too long answering her call bell.

Luckily my hubby does that all the time, he even hid a key outside but never goes and gets it. Maybe it's time I taught him a lesson. I wonder what he does if I am not home?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(3)

luckylu, that reminded me of the time when my late Dad was living in memory care, was in his bathroom taking his time, and came out to find some woman he didn't know sleeping on his bed. He tried to wake her up but couldn't. Dad called me wondering what to do, I told him to use his alert pendent and someone will come.

Dad [95] was so worried, as he didn't want to get into trouble. No trouble, apparently this lovely woman gets confused at night and will occasionally go to the wrong room. Dad was relieved :)
(4)

MsMadge...A lady in the hospital left her group to go use the restroom.When she arrived in her room,she found her beautiful gown allcut up into shreds and when she went in her john,someone had urinated all over the toilet seat and floor below it.She was SO upset and she marched down to the nurses station to report this and the nurse on duty just said"Oh,Thay was Arthur.He thought that was his wife's room."
(1)

I set up one of those cameras in the family room when mom came home from rehab last year - I haven't looked at since she sent to memory care - wonder what the heck the password was - if I can remember maybe I'll put it on the porch - ha ha
(4)

I have these interior cameras that I can view on my phone. I have 4 of them. You could position them to look outside a window, if you wanted. They pick up really great real-time images and recording in both light and dark settings (infrared light technology for when it's dark). They're around $50-$55 each on Amazon and they have lots of functions like Motion Detection Recording and remote pan/tilt, 2 way audio.

I have a lot more peace of mind since I put those things up. Just a thought. :-)
(2)

Thanks Veronica
Haven't heard about the flashlight - is it a strobe? Can mom use it at memory care to keep the wandering men out of her room?

I still leave windows open at night - it was 82 yesterday and a little muggy -

a couple of years ago I heard some noise in the street and didn't get up to investigate - turns out thieves were stealing planters off neighbor's front porch -

then one night I hear footsteps in the driveway and see a flashlight and call the police only to be told don't worry they are looking for a domestic abuse suspect in my yard - Really?? That didn't make me feel any better

Hopefully last night it was just a bird pecking at my porch decorations 🎃🍂🍁
(4)

MsMadge, probably were racoon... they are smart little critters... some day they are going to learn how to ring the doorbell.

The raccoons in my area were constantly knocking off the flower box on my porch railing. That flower box is heavy but some how it was on the ground in front of the front porch, with the flower containers rolled everywhere. At least the plants were at the end of the season.

Wished I had my wildlife camera set up to catch it all. I really need to install back on the porch. It's interesting seeing how many cats are out in the middle of the night, along with foxes, possums, and skunks.

Oh, raccoons can climb anywhere and squeeze into the tiniest of places as they can collapse their bones. I had two who had gotten through the air vents on the side of the house, through those very thin slates. A critter company sprayed cinimmon into the attic and eventually the raccoons moved elsewhere.
(2)

MsMadge you probably are hearing an intruder but it is probably of the four legged kind.
have you considered buying one of those flashlight that they are advertising on TV. The really do disorientate attackers and give you time to get away. Apparently you need to get one of the more expensive though not the $19.99 as advertised. You could also obtain a can of bear spray. Difficult to get but much more effective than pepper spray. Failing all that you could go to your Dr and ask to be checked for hallucinations!!!!!! Sorry couldn't resist that one.
(3)

Am I imagining things ?

Thought I'd watch the 11 o'clock news - it was 20 minutes of political ads and one story about a home invasion where an elderly woman believed her husband's caregivers must have been involved as they knew there was a safe in the basement -

Around 1 am I hear banging near the front porch adjacent to my bedroom window
So I grab my cell phone and go to another room and call the police and ask them to send a patrol car around - awhile later a young officer drives up and flashes his lights around and says he didn't see anything - I swear I still hear noises outside though

Guess I'll be awake all night listening
(1)

Lu, Thanks for that, I really needed to laugh!
I am going to go pretend now!
(2)

Today,my dH locked himself out of the house.The first time,I let him in,but the second time,I pretended to be in the shower.
(6)

JUST SO YOU KNOW - the girls in the pool [of knowledge] have decided that we will take a page from Trump - we in Canada will put up a wall to protect ourselves from the refugees from Trump presidency a.k.a. TREXIT -

FYI - we expect a jump in our housing prices etc if he wins - personally I won't be spending any $$$ in TRUMPSVILLE - I'll spend more & go to Europe where I will get better history, food & service - they are so much better with others than I have found in U.S.A. - once on N.Y. turnpike they where charging rates 6 months out of date [way to their favour by 40%] -

You guys have to wake up to reality - if you can't get us [Canada ] on your side then you are sunk - look at last 50 years & every time we didn't 'get on board' you sank like a rock like viet nam, iran 1 etc

Sorry to load this here but I have had it with your election - anyone who wants to avoid notice do it in an election year because media toooooo focused on that to see what is really happening in life

I used to cross border about 6 to times a week ... no more - too many guns & idiots there & many times they are the same
(0)

No voting options in this house,we are still aliens but we can still whine like everyone else. Wouldn't know which one to pick anyway!
(2)

I didn't go towards Wrigleyville. That wasn't an option unless you know someone or don't mind being in the crush of the crowd. It was still standing room only at the 3rd place we tried in a neighborhood a couple miles away from Wrigley... "we" being my dating-site date (lovely and fun guy) and myself. All around a great week to go back to work, go out on a date, participate in Chicago culture... and live to tell. I'm grateful. Truly grateful.
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter