Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
The hospice nurse wanted to start taking my wife down with the morphine 0.5mg but my wife told them that she didn't need it!!! With that being said they could not give it to her!!! She was nt in the much pain yet so she was able to refuse the morphine!!! The nurse that we had was a respectfull amd honored my wife wishes!!! The one nurse we had to sit her down and tell her nt to talk that death (negative) things to my wife like it's ok if your ready to go when my wife WAS A STRONG LADY OF FAITH (GOD)!!! (MIRCLE DO HAPPEN IF IT'S GOD WILL) SHE WAS A MIRCLE AND GOD BROUGHT HER THREW SOOO MUCH BEFORE SHE HAD CANCER!!! GOD SAID IT WAS TIME FOR HER TO COME HOME NT MAN!!! NOW SHE IS AT HOME WITH OUR LORD AND SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST!!! NO MORE PAIN!!!! STAY ENCOURGE AND GOD BLESS!! Susanleigh416 PLEASE HIT ME UP I WOULD LOVE TO SPEAK WITH YOU IF YOU LIKE!! GOD BLESS YOU SWEETIE!!! :)
(0)

I'm in the UK and I specifically recall the nurse saying "this is not going to hurry anything along" when hospice offered a room when my mum was getting in a lot of pain with pancreatic cancer. I had no idea any of this stuff went on that I'm reading on this thread. But thinking back, she did say that, as if to allay my fears at the start. Is the uk different? It was non profit making.
She passed that night but as she had an obstruction and internal bleeding she would have died that night anyway, but was able to do it painlessly at the hospice.
I feel for everybody affected by all this but it is making me keep going over last years events in my head and I just hope our uk hospices are run differently. I went to see a counsellor at the hospice and we talked about all this and she said doctors were able to be incredibly accurate these days and you had to trust them ... She said maybe 10/15 years ago accidental overdoses may have occurred but would never have been deliberate as that is illegal. But these days they are able to be very accurate with their dosage.
Death of a loved one is traumatic enough to cope with, having these thoughts is just too much.
(1)

I know for a fact my 84 years old friend with COPD and my 100 year old father with tube feeding and food get to his lung were rushed to die with overdose of morphine. And I strongly believe they don't have to die. Because the family member decided to give up on fhem. Overdose of morphine can kill people within a few days.
(0)

I'd like to chime in again. Just thinking about my own mother. If I had to put her in hospice, I might be so tormented by her pain, that I'd want her to die sooner rather than later. However, I know my grief at losing her would be unbearable.
(0)

Pshu33 I hadn't given up on my mother, I went with her and stayed with her. As an only child of an only child there was nobody to help and I was afraid of dropping her as she used the commode etc, very proud lady. There was only my 91 yr old stepfather with dementia who was not a nice person anyway, meddling with meds and saying inappropriate things.... No way did I give up on her though. I was there with her every single day from her diagnosis to the day she died
(0)

HospiceRX, what you said I'm sure is true for you, but it is not true in many people's experience of Hospice. And it was not true for our family's Hospice Journey. My mother was in no pain, was able to raise her eyebrows, smile and indicate "yes"; or purse her lips, frown and indicate "no" very clearly and she repeatedly said "no" when asked if she was in any pain, or if she wanted any pain relieving drugs. Our hospice nurse shouted at me, "of COURSE she's in pain, they're ALL in pain! And because she can't TELL US, we have to ASSUME she is in pain and we HAVE to give these medications!" I had alternative therapies which completely relieved any breathing distress, but she would not wait, observe and see the effectiveness of anything that wasn't her protocol. Then she went off and reported me to adult protective services, hoping to get my mother taken to a hospice facility where she could die a properly drugged death. I could see my mother's consciousness was already crossing and elevating beyond her body, for weeks before she passed, she would come in and out of body. The gentle alternatives helped without clouding her consciousness at all. It was her death and she did it in her own way, and in the way she had requested ahead of time, in writing. And I had to defend her way of death FROM hospice, which is not the way it should be. On the sunny summer morning she died, we were standing over her, she gave a sigh and quit breathing. Then a knock on the door, and social services came in and totally freaked out when I said she had already died. One social worker kept saying, "don't we need to call the police if somebody dies? We have to report this, right?" Luckily the on-call weekend hospice nurse arrived, and was not the one who had called them, so this nurse assured the social workers that yes, this death was expected, and no, the police don't need to be called...she would alert the coroner. This whole silly unnecessary drama, although it bothered me and my family's sacred time between death and when they came to pick up her body, it bothered my mother not at all, as she was already far beyond us.
(2)

I was caregiver for both of my parents as they both succumbed to cancer deaths recently. At the very end, I, too, wondered if the heavy sedation ordered by the doctors had hastened their deaths. I had to give the medication to my mom myself- a suspension of Ativan and liquid morphine every 2 hours for 13 hours to keep her from seizing until nature took its course. Dad was in the hospital, severe nausea and vomiting blood/bile for 12 hours before he, too, was heavily sedated with dilaudid. His vitals crashed and he died rather quickly thereafter. The question still nags me, but I try to remember that for both of them at that stage in their respective illness, death was imminent, regardless of the sedation. What was achieved was an end to their suffering, and that was not only what I wanted, but for both my mom and dad-- their EXPRESS wish. So, when I'm left to struggle with the ethics of their having too much sedation, I have to remember that you have to take the "good", or benefit along with the "bad" (the guilt), and that helps. I hope it helps some of you, too, who struggle with this issue. In my case, I did do right by them in the end.
(4)

I'm just flying home from my Dad's funeral. What you stated could have been my Dad. I was pressured to sign a DNR. Afterward I overheard the nurse say did you get Mr.-----. Squared away. They walked into the room and told my sister he wouldn't make it till the next day. He died early in the morning. He was admitted for end stage Alzheimer's yet he knew us and talked until he was admitted to hospice. Not one time did he forget who we were or what was going on.
Sheila
(0)

I'm just flying home from my Dad's funeral. What you stated could have been my Dad. I was pressured to sign a DNR. Afterward I overheard the nurse say did you get Mr.-----. Squared away. They walked into the room and told my sister he wouldn't make it till the next day. He died early in the morning. He was admitted for end stage Alzheimer's yet he knew us and talked until he was admitted to hospice. Not one time did he forget who we were or what was going on.
Sheila
(0)

Sheila: Sorry to hear about your loss, I am kind of accepting life and death. No matter how they die either rush to die or die with their own natural course but the bottom line is they are gone and we can not bring them back. Join kind to every human being while we are still living and enjoy each other one moment at the time and we can not unwind the clock just remember the good memory.
(1)

Yes I sure do. My mom was the same way. We were going to transition her home as soon as we could hire help for her at home. They knew this. They would not give her home meds or water but surely administered the Ativan and Morphine, in which before she was placed in Hospice she only took 1 to 2 Lortabs a day. She was alert and talking when she got there and 7 days later she passed away. I do believe they quickened her death. Her doc said that six months would be stretching it but if he were to guess he would guess that she had 2 months to live. Well that is 2 months we could have had with her. Who are they to say when someone should die. She should have been given her home meds and she should have been given water in which my sister and I did until she could not swallow hardly anymore. I feel so guilty that I did not fight for her against them but I was distraught with losing her. But I want to let everyone else to be aware that if you are capable of seeing your loved one go downhill so fast...check into it and try to stop what may be going on that may be quickening your loved ones passing. I miss my mom tremendously. It hurts so much.
(1)

Sadgirl1, my sincere condolences on this painful loss.

I think fewer people would be so devastated and guilty-feeling if they read the hospice agreement and knew to protocol going in.

For example, it is standard procedure to remove all drugs except those used for comfort. Lortabs (I think) might come under comfort care, but it is possible they couldn't be given in addition to the stronger pain medication they administered. As I understand it, Lortabs are to eliminate pain; they do not extend life. I don't think that even if you fought to have her take them (and won) it would have extended her life span.

Hospice took my husband off almost all of his pills. They added two back in when I reported he was agitated without them. There goal is to keep patients calm and pain-free. They are not unreasonable about following their "rules" if those rules are not meeting that goal. My husband was not in pain. I did not give him morphine or ativan. Hospice did absolutely nothing that could have hastened his death. But he died earlier than we expected anyway. The hospice nurse was surprised when I called her. His autopsy revealed an extremely severe case of LBD and also that his heart disease would have taken him very soon anyway -- the doctor remarked he was surprised he hadn't died of that earlier.

Sometimes the actual causes of death is not so apparent on the outside. Even the experienced professionals are very often wrong in predicting life expectancy. Just because her doctor thought she might have had 2 months left doesn't mean she wouldn't live 5 months or she wouldn't die in 3 days. Nobody can say that with certainty.

Please, please Sadgirl, do not torture yourself with "what ifs." Do not feel guilty. Your mother was dying when she entered hospice. There was nothing you could have done to change that fact. The timing of death is out of our hands, or hospice's hands. Your mother and my husband died when it was their time.
(9)

Sadgirl, my condolences on the passing of your mother.

Please don't feel guilty about what you could've done to gain time with your mom. A doctor's guess, is just that, a guess. Cancer and other horrible diseases have their own timeline, which is why doctors just generalize a life expectancy. Each person is different and the degree and extent of their illness is so variable. My dad's doc said he would live 3 to 6 months with his brain cancer. He died in 2 1/2 months. I don't blame hospice. They kept him as comfortable as they could during those short months. Cancer killed him.
(0)

Sadgirl, I am so sorry about your mom. It has been 6 weeks since I lost my dad, and I am still struggling with the loss.
In my case, dad was not yet on hospice when they administered the narcotics that I feel eventually hastened his death. Once given, his vitals crashed precipitously. However, I have to support what windytown and others have said: no one can say for certain how much longer they would have had without the medication. My dad's own oncologist gave me an outside range of a "few weeks" when I asked him, point blank. He was gone less than 15 hours later, and no one was more surprised than his medical team when they got their report the next morning. If you knew for sure that your mom's life would have lasted a few more weeks, but she would be in unbearable pain (which neither you, nor I nor anyone else can even imagine), would you want that for her? Or rather, would you want her to have a peaceful passing, surrounded by the best care she could get. Everyone has to think about this.
In my case, even though I feel I would have had my dad a bit longer and perhaps could have told him I loved him one more time, in the end, I knew that he knew that, and he was able to go peacefully. That is my last memory of him, and one I know he would be OK with, so as much as I miss him, I am at peace now these few weeks later knowing he did not have to suffer needlessly for my own conscious.
One point to underscore here, and I find I am evangelizing with each retelling of my dad's story: Make absolute sure that your family's wishes are codified in a Healthcare POA and discussed beforehand!! This, for me, made the hardest decision of my life one of the easiest to live with. Also, it goes without saying, please do not wait until the last minute to say you love your dear ones. You never know when their time will come. That would be a true regret.
I wish you and the other peace in your mind when this issue has come up.
(2)

Came across this by accident but feel compelled to write. I'm sitting here alone at 9:41 pm 12\18\2015 a week before Christmas, only I am not alone, in the back ground I hear my husbands weak breathing and I am afraid every night he will be gone when I wake up. Hospice has been a light in my life, they help me honor his wished by keeping him home to die. Yes a few weeks ago he talked to me, now he mumbles like a child and yells at me and most of all sleeps.I do not in any way think hospice has rushed his passing. When he cried out in pain they gave him morphine and haldol to calm him down. We are still on that regime and no one knows how long this is going to go on, they have not taken away any of his other medications. Maybe you are wondering what is wrong with him. I'll make it a short story, first a brain tumor, second spinal cord tumor that left him paralized , then both legs amputated from the knee down, then a infection in the bone from open wounds on his bottom. They wanted to cut his hip off but he opted for no more. So here we are with hospice. Not only do they help with him but are helping me through. I tell everyone don't put off spending time with your loved ones, no one knows if they even have a later. This was our time, children are grown this is our later, he is only 52
(6)

I am so sorry for what you are going through. We are all bonded together as caregivers but, of course, our paths can be very different. Please know you will be in my prayers and I ask that God will continue to carry you with this heavy burden you have been dealt.
(0)

I wish you all the best and hope you can have him near you for the holidays, I wish I would of took my mom home on hospice, Because the hospital hospice upped her morphine without telling me, to where I wouldn't be able to say our proper good bye, or talk about our love for her and I regret it. I Stayed at the hospital with her day in and day out sleep on a cot and behind my back they up the morphine. Why couldn't they ask me if there were any wishes or talking to her before, Since I was in charge of her and we decided to start her on 1 mg to 2 mg, morphine, but as soon a s I went down to cafe to get a coffee is when they upped it to 8, I So Wished I took Her Home.. Now I live with regrets, Hospice seems much better home then in a hospital setting from what I have read, I'm glad they are good people to you and your husband every patient needs that care of real caring people who want the best, and I wish you all the best. I will say a prayer for your family.
(0)

The Hospice service my Mom [98] had was outstanding. They kept me informed on any medicine changes and what they were doing to keep Mom comfortable.

With Mom's condition [head injury due to a fall], both my Dad and I were sad but relieved when she did pass. Would I wanted her to live another week or two being in a coma state? Why? For what purpose? Her quality of life was gone. She passed peacefully but waited until her favorite all time movie on TV had ended.
(5)

I have recently started my mother on at home hospice with CT Hospice. They told me not to stop her usual meds and supplements if she was still capable of taking them. Her nurse is fantastic. He got me a hoyer lift, moving air matress, bolsters and pads so she wont get stuck between the mattress and guard rails of her hospital bed. They are all kind and patient with me when I call.

We are all doing the best we can. She is deteriorating because of her ailments, not because of anything anyone is or is not doing.
(3)

Hospice....no one ever comes out of it.....I guess this is a deeper topic than most care to get into. In 2013 my Dad suffered a major stroke and was paralized. Immediately without therapy or even trying to help him recuperate because he was 82 years old, his doctors recommended "Hospice." I had no idea what it was - learned about then. So, food, water, medicines for his treatments, breathing therapies, all to be taken away under Hospice. Then, within 1/2 hour a special injection was offered - Mom declined it. When Mom saw his treatments were stopped she went crazy. Hospice said he will continued to be taken care of. A total lie - they simply expedite the death of all people that come into their care. They get paid very well for that. We turned the hospital upside down and took Dad out of Hospice. We took him home and care for him, we had lots of moments with him, he talked sometimes, laughed, and hugged me with his one arm. Very especial moments. See, he never wanted to die. His motto was "one minute of life, is life!" He continued his treatments - was present for my Mom's 80th birthday, even touched my baby sisters recent baby's belly - opened his eyes and blessed the child. Alive even when still in a bed. Fast forward to May 2015 - he was still alive and conscious. Was taken to the same hospital with the same doctor - this time he recommended Hospice, rushed my Mom to signed the papers, expedited the especial shoot and then loaded him with morphin and ativan before sending him home. He arrived at the house on June 3rd and died at 10:30am on June 5th. In the care of the so called loving "Hospice" staff. If he was ready to be put down on 2013 how is it that without Hospice then he lasted till 2015? Our society got serious issues about life and death. Death is a normal process. Pain is not likely the trauma that requires Hospice to overdose patients taking away the moment to say goodby. And, if a person lasted as long as my Dad did - why was it recommended then? Doctors are not God! I believe we were created for an appointed time to end life as early as determined by our creator - not another human being. If someone wants to be in Hospice - fine. Democracy allows for that freedom and that choice. But my ignorant sister, guided by an unscrupulous physician that my Father trusted, were the ones that ended the life of a man that didn't want to die. He simply couldn't call the police when he knew they were murdering him as if he was on death row. We are instructed not to kill, yet our seniors are being 'destroyed' as dogs every day with a process being sold as wonderful - it is called Hospice. I'm sorry for all of us that have to live with this pain because we were unable to do anything - society protects the criminals not the innocent.....
(2)

I find it impossible to give any credance to the post by 2015Nightmare. Being paralyzed is not the same as being in a coma and I simply can't believe that any reputable Hospice group would withhold nourishment or necessary meds simply because a person was paralyzed. I suspect there is a lot more to this.
(3)

2015Nightmare, I am very sorry for your painful experience. Why do you suppose Dad appointed Sister to make this decision, if she did not share his views about end of life care? Why would your mother sign the papers after the first experience with Hospice? No one is required to accept hospice care.

"Hospice....no one ever comes out of it." My mother did. Of course everyone dies eventually, but not necessarily the first time they are on hospice care. Mom, not expected to last the week, "graduated" from Hospice after a few months. I really think the extra care and attention she received from hospice contributed to her getting better. She may need to be on hospice again. (She is 95.) Perhaps next time she will die. With or without hospice we need to expect her to die.

My mother was not destroyed by hospice. My husband, who died after 5 weeks on hospice, was not destroyed by hospice. He was dying from a disease, and the autopsy confirmed the causes of his death.

I agree with you that everyone has a choice to use hospice or not. Your mother signed the paper to use it. She was in the position to make that decision. I am very sure that it wasn't an easy decision for her. I hope your unhappiness now isn't causing your mother distress.
(4)

This is heartwrenching to read. I searched for "does anyone feel as if they euthanized their loved one, on hospice care?" and this forum was in the results.

My big brother, who was only 53 years old, was diagnosed with a suspicion of bladder cancer, shortly before Thanksgiving. After biopsy, PET scan, and other tests, he was told he had bladder cancer that had metastized to his pelvic, leg, and hip bones as well as his liver. He was told he was terminal and would be considered only for palliative chemo for pain control. After the liver biopsy confirmed that it was the same (bladder) cancer, his oncologist told us we did not need to come to our next appt. and that he had "days to three to six months." We home hospiced him until we needed 3 days of respite care to stabilize his meds. Being in a rural area, they did the respite hospice care through a contract with the hospital, so he was admitted to the hospital, as a hospice patient. Hospice stayed in touch daily.

We had to demand an I.V. for morphine. (basic saline mix, not fluids) were given. We also ended up demanding oxygen. My brother was DNR, but strictly no heroic efforts to be made, such as vent or defib. IV and oxygen, YES! We were immediately told that my brother had to be the one who pushed his pain (morphone) pump, or we would be committing a felony. The nurse later said, "If he vocalizes to you verbally or through his eyes, you can push it." (WTF?!) Eventually we had them remove the pump and go to the nurses injecting, but we STILL had to be the ones who asked for it, every time. They would come in to the room and ask us if he needed more pain control. They suggested adding Ativan, but made US feel we were requesting it. The entire time, we were asking each other (myself and my mother), "WHY are they asking US what to give him...we are not nurses or doctors?!"

On January 1st, 2016, my brother took his last breath, almost immediately after a dosage of morphine. The nurse had told me in between doses, that she could tell his respitory rate was slowing. (I think this is when we decided on oxygen)

I cannot rid myself of the feeling that *I* euthanized my brother. I am completely devastated and having anxiety attacks and horrible dreams that make no sense. My brother went from being in pain & with little energy, to a couple of great days where we actually went out. Three days before passing, he ate three full meals. He had not urinated or had a bowel movement in days, however. He was completely aware when checking into the hospital, though he slept frequently. He woke and always acknowledged me, held my hand (tightly!) and spoke some. After the morphine and Ativan for 24 hours, he had a "rattle" to him and just went downhill. I lost it a couple of times because of how uncomfortable he seemed when it was about 10 or 15 minutes before the time he could have more morphine. But I keep asking myself, was he agitated and trying to express more...like he did not want to be drugged? I am so lost.
(1)

No Katinmo, it was not your fault or your plan in any way shape or form. He needed pain relief. Maybe they should have done a Fentanyl patch instead but you probably would have needed some morphine for him at some point. Just giving oxygen can depress the respiratory drive but again he would not have been comfortable without any. Not sure why the Ativan was needed and they should have explained what they were thinking with that - it is wonderful for anxiety but it is more sedating and depressing to respiration too. It does not sound like the hospice folks collaborated real well with you on the goals of treatment.

That said, a dear friend of mine died pretty much at this same pace and she specifically took as little medication as she could get away with. There is a wonderful New Yorker article about what hospice is really supposed to be about and how people are supposed be care more about your quality of life, finding out what is important to you and helping decide how to get as much of it as possible within the constraints of the situation. Just Google for "new yorker letting go hospice" for that...

You were there for him. You were trying to make his last hours easier and better. That counts. Try not to let the stupid statement about "committing a felony" stick in your craw - that was a total BS thing to say to you or to anyone in that situation, IMHO....just ass-covering at your expense and totally out of line. You are not a criminal, you are not a Kevorkian, and you ARE a loving sister who has lost a dear brother, and my prayers are with you.
(5)

KatInMo, please read what vstefans has written to you again, and consider it from me, too. She has it exactly right. You were doing the right things. I am so sorry for the loss of your brother.

My husband was on hospice at home, so every drug decision was on me. Once I called them about a symptom and they asked if I had given him X from the med kit they provided. I slapped my forehead. I'd forgotten that they'd left something for that symptom, and I gave it to him.

As you can see from posts on this thread, many people accuse hospice of over-medicating. As far as medications go, I think Hospice is damned if they do and damned if they don't. Apparently where your brother was they want it to be in the hands of the family, just as it would have been if he were at home. It doesn't sound like they did a super job of communicating and supporting you, but part of that could have been your high distress level.

Your brother was dying from his disease. Nothing was going to stop that. You did your best under very stressful circumstances to ease his way.
(3)

KatinMo, very sorry for the loss of your brother at such a young age.

JeanneGibbs, hospice is not always a choice. We were told at the hospital that they could do no more for my mother and a woman from hospice was coming to meet us, there was no choice.

It was an awful experience and I reported them to the state, an investigation was done and they were found to be in violation or rules and ethics. Didn't do my mother any good, but I hoped it would help other families.

But there was no choice.
(2)

Maybe it is too soon to even try to understand my feelings an emotions...but I keep envisioning how responsive and "Ronnie" he was when we were driving to the hospital in the ambulance, or went to his work so he could show us everything, just two days before. I mean...I got to his home on Dec 27th, and he was gone on January 1st.

The morphine was for pain, the Ativan was for anxiety, and there was also a med for nausea too, which also added to the equation because it makes you sleepy as well. He originally did have a pain patch, but they supposedly lasted three days and he was wearing two at once (hospice suggested) and they were not helping a lot after the first few days. I know his disease was VERY progressive and fast...but wow. :( Thanks to the three of you for your comments and prayers. I guess my next step should be a support group or therapy...as I feel this is my most difficult thing I have had to deal with...and I am not doing so well in the quiet moments. I do realize it is early...but I did not even grieve like this with the loss of my dad...though that seemed more "natural." *sigh* Ronnie was so afraid and nervous (thus the Ativan)...he truly had ZERO idea that he was passing so fast. I dunno if it ever really hit him...it was not denial...he just thought he honestly had a couple of years to fight this illness, but it would eventually take him. When I had to tell him (he was also severely hearing impaired, so we started using a wipe off board to communicate those major things!) that his doctor had said "6 months"...well, I will never lose that image of the look on his face. And I guess part of me feels I "lied" because I could not fathom telling him that he said "days to 3 to 6 months." *sigh* (Sorry for the babble!)
(2)

KatinMo, yes, absolutely - you need some serious debriefing time with people who have been there. It is sounding more like the whole thing was not inappropriately managed at all, certianly not by you and not by anyone else, except maybe the DOCTOR should have been the one telling your brother the hard truth, or at least helping with that conversation. Your brother might have realized he had something else he wanted to say or ask and couldn't - but I would bet he knew you cared and loved him. And sometimes that is all we have and all we can offer. So sorry nothing more could be done!
(2)

irishboy, Hospice is always SUPPOSED TO BE a choice. Remember that in the situation you describe the hospice was found to be in violation of rules and ethics. I am truly sorry it turned out that way for you.
(1)

KatiMo....my heart goes out to you ...I am so sorry for your loss and all of the subsequent feelings of heartache, guilt, longing, everything that goes on at this time. I am not sure my comments will be helpful...but I do identify with the almost seemingly unbearable grief you are feeling.

We had Hospice the last two years of Mama's life. I lost her just before Christmas this year and am currently going through so many of the same emotions you are describing. I am almost at a point of feeling totally debilitated at this point. While, for the most part, I have to say our Hospice team was excellent, there were some things that happened near the end that are still confusing to me, and let me say here I don't know if it is the "what wasn't done that might have been done" or just the difficulty in accepting the loss is doing me in.

First of all, and something I find myself still struggling with guilt over, Mama had broken a tooth on the Sunday about two weeks prior to her passing. At the time, Mama had been in decline, but she had also gone through this identical issue a year before....the broken tooth abcessed and finally had to be removed, and afterwards, she improved significantly....I was praying for the same this time...Didn't happen. This time, the tooth was basically removed the same way as the last time, and there were three others that were found to be very loose and as she was already numbed, they told me they might as well go ahead and get those. I did see they were loose and didn't think it would be wise to keep having to bring her in to the oral surgeons so I told them go ahead..Everything seemed to go fine....no issues, Mama was a champ and we went home seemingly triumphant.

In a few days Mama began to run a fever, the fever got worse...and I had brought up again (as I did BEFORE the procedure...why they were not doing the megadose of Amoxycillin as they did the last time. Our nurse just kind of shrugged it off and said oh well, guess they didn't think she needed it...Now, I'm not saying she did or didn't need it...but long story short, the fever spiraled out of control...Mama took a horrible downturn and exactly a week from the day they removed her teeth, she passed...exactly four weeks ago tonight...

I still have panic attacks feeling guilty that I should have demanded the amoxy...I should have done this, could have done that...what if I had done this or that...and all in all, her passing FEELS like my fault...I can't get past any of it. I will think I am doing better, but the feelings of guilt keep coming back...I attempted to seek help through their bereavement support (which they so proudly told me about the night of Mama's passing) and I have been pretty much ignored since that time...

I'm not sure where I am going with this, except that it sounds like you did absolutely everything humanly possible for your brother, and I'm sure he knows it....It sounds like your Hospice team was responding appropriately...and all in all I think mine did as well...but this guilt...this never ending guilt is going to do me in. I feel like I could have prevented my Mama's passing...and I am having trouble dealing with it...

I think grief counseling would help, but so far my efforts at seeking it have not been too successful...I will be thinking of and praying for you....the advice of vstefans and Jeannegibbs cannot be improved upon, and I think them as well...I wish I had answers...but I think this grief process is just a really really difficult thing...and all we can do is take it one day at a time....I think your brother is smiling down from above and if he could he would say thank you...I think perhaps Mama would as well...
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter