Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
I answered this question once before, but since then, I have had an additional experience I would like to share. My great aunt, 93, had a heart attack and fell. The fall broke her shoulder, ribs, hip, and leg. They repaired the hip to stop an internal bleed, but I don't know that they re-set the other bones. The hospital recommended hospice, and her daughters, my cousins, agreed. The hospital's position was that it would take a long time for her bones to mend, they may never, and she would be in a lot of pain. I not only feel that they rushed her death, I feel that they killed her by not giving her water or IV fluids. She begged for water. They gave her morphone and adivan instead. I asked the horrible "hospice" nurse about giving her IV fluids and her response was that if organs are shutting down, making them process water just makes it harder on them. Thing is, they had no evidence that her organs were "shutting down." But they certainly did after 3 days without water. That kind of barbarism would kill a healthy person! It would have been one thing if she actually were dying, unable to drink for herself, and on her way out, but that's not the case! To boot, this was hospice in a hospital, not a hospice facility, so in my opinion, it was more a case of "medicate and neglect." I see hospice so differently now. I had a friend who died in hospice and the experience could not have been more wonderful, but she had been battling cancer fir years and had finally decided to discontinue treatment. That's entirely different, as she was actually dying.... I think our healthcare system is terribly broken. My mother's in a nursing home, and to say nursing home care is less than ideal is a profound understatement. OP, I'm sorry. I think in some cases, they definitely rush people's deaths.
(1)

Christine, I understand your pain, but giving her fluids by mouth when she is bleeding internally would have had bad results. So would IV fluids.
Both animal and human studies indicate that administration of large amounts of intravenous crystalloids prior to controlling bleeding is associated with cardiac dysfunction, abdominal compartment syndrome, harmful inflammation, acute respiratory distress syndrome, multiple organ dysfunction syndrome and increased death. It would have been very painful.
(1)

Kate in MO, a support group is a very good idea.

JeanneGibbs, I'm not going to get into a p**sing contest with you. We were told by the HOSPITAL, not the hospice that this was it. There was no choice, I have no reason to make this up.

In fact it was so horrific that when my father was dying in the ICU one year later after my mother I and they started in with the hospice(there was only one in the area) I refused and was told "well than he can die in a ward here with a nurse who has 8 other patients but he can't stay in the ICU". They were strong arming you into this was going to be the way it was.

I told him to go join mom, she was waiting, and he did about 90 minutes later. While I was brokenhearted it was a relief to not put him through that.

This happened in FL, the joke of the nation. Thankfully I moved back home to CA, and will never step foot in that toilet known as FL again.

But it happened exactly as I said it did, there was no choice there, they won't let you die in the hospital room. My father was in the ICU in a private room and here they are telling me he has to go to hospice.

It may not happen in some states but Floriduh is like living on another planet when it comes to any type of normalcy.
(0)

Whoever says hospice doesn't kill was just tired of taking care of their "loved" ones. If you give a baby benadryl to sleep because you're tired that's homicide. If you keep them sleep to the point that they can't get water or food...that's homicide.
(0)

Every day you wake up...you're dying. And if they treated them well, they wouldn't hide the fact that they are withdrawing necessities behind pain meds. If they have a smile on their face while doing it...it's called killing them with kindness.
(0)

Christine, the issue of whether drinks should be offered to dying people has caused so much misery over the last decade or so. The BMA (British Medical Association, I'm in the UK) published new, definitive guidelines two weeks ago - these were the conclusions of a committee set up in the wake of the Liverpool Care Pathway controversy two or three years ago.

The committee included lay people as well as doctors and lawyers and ethicists. It interested me that in the summary this point - about oral care, hydration and assistance to drink - was rammed home two or three times. Clearly, it is the single nightmare that keeps more people, and especially more family members, awake than any other.

So: it is now made crystal clear to all involved in end of life care that if a patient requests a drink, or if family members are anxious, it should be given - with assistance, and with cautionary advice in case of swallowing impairment. Where patients do not request drinks, still great care should be taken to swab and rinse the mouth routinely to minimise discomfort.

The sadness is that this has to be spelt out. It reveals that - not news, perhaps, but horrible to contemplate - not all nursing and medical practice has in previous years not done the obvious, and kept patients comfortable. "Quiet" has sometimes been good enough.

Well, that has *not* been the practice everywhere, ever; and it is also made clear that such poor practice has happened because previous guidelines were misconstrued or misapplied. In any case, I'll be watching this space and hoping to see better reports in future.
(5)

CM thank you for sharing that. I have refrained from further comments on this subject because I have very strong feelings and experience in end of life care and so many people have been misinformed, misled and in some cases subject to having to watch their loved ones being mistreated.
(1)

Mortician24, you certainly have a right to your opinion about hospice. Absolutely.

But when you accuse me and many other caregivers on this forum of just being tired of caregiving and of guilty of homicide, well that is going entirely too far. Make your own decisions based on your own beliefs. Share your beliefs. But judging and accusing others is way out of line. Shame on you!
(4)

Well said jeannegibbs. I thought the same. Is this a troll?
(1)

Probably someone who had a horrible experience, I'd have thought. Very hard to get over; and unfortunately the exceptional communication skills needed to reassure and explain things to someone who's already incredibly upset and grieving are thin on the ground in the health and care sectors.
(1)

Tacy, in answer to your question, most hospice organizations are very good at explaining the process and services they provide. Hospice can be done at home, in a nursing home, hospital or hospice center. Keep in mind hospice does not take over all caregiving duties. For patients at home whatever caregiving is in place must remain. Hospice can provide respite care to give caregivers a break. Good luck to you. This is very hard.
(3)

I've seen hospice in a nursing home. The patient died a long agonizing death with inadequate meds and no compassion. It was a large 5 - building facility and 1 hospice nurse and 1 hospice aide were running from building to building. Frazzled, they admitted that none of the patients were getting adequate coverage. I've seen hospice in a hospital, which consisted of "medicate and neglect." The nurse was nasty, and I never saw an aide. The only good hospice experience I've ever seen was in a hospice center. Word to the wise.
(1)

If you are responsible for your loved one and don't like the way they are being cared for or not as the case may be . Speak up, speak up and then SHOUT AND GO UP THE CHAIN OF COMAND. YOU DON'T HAVE TO STAND BY AND WATCH YOUR LOVED ONE SUFFER.
(2)

Hi Veronica, I did speak up, and then I shouted, then I went up the chain of command. It was like fighting city hall. Easier said than done defending my 90 year old Father. Got in trouble when I got caught giving Dad ice chips the night before he died. He was thirsty because I put a wet clothe by his mouth and he tried to suck on it. I went up the chain of command in tears. My heart is broken and sleepless nights thinking of the way he died. I was the one who signed the hospice papers. I have to live with that.
(0)

Cher report this conduct to your States health board. Try not to feel guilty. be thank full Dad is at peace and away from suffering. You can't undo what happened but you can make those who did it very sorry for their actions. If you have names use them. They will turn that hospital upside down. Do it for Dad and other peoples Dads.
(2)

You don't have to stay with any service provider you don't feel comfortable with.
(2)

I'm Katinmo and Ron's mom and was with him since Thanksgiving and also found this forum by googling info about hospice, not knowing Kat already posted.

I do NOT feel we euthanized Ron! He was able to make his own decision about receiving hospice care as well as the DNR.
Kat: You didn't see how much pain he was in since Thanksgiiving. Can you imagine not being able to sleep for more than 2 or 3 hours at a time, waking up screaming, crying & cussing because of the pain. The first pain prescriptions weren't helping; he got another and the pain patches from the oncologist. When he was in this pain, probably caused by the fractured pelvis from the spread of cancer to his bones, he wanted it to be over.

Yes, he had a few good days, usually followed by horrible days - probably because of the toll it took to be "okay" to be there for his family and loved ones on the "good" days!

You were there when he started throwing up buckets of blood and none of the meds seemed to be helping. WE NEEDED HOSPICE!

The only problem I had with the whole thing is the part Kat mentioned about pushing the IV button for morphine and then, later when the nurses kept asking us if we wanted Ron to have the meds. Since this is my first experience with hospice, I'm wondering if this is the norm? The hospital contracts with some of the hospices for inpatient services so, like Kat said "WTH?"
(2)

From memory I don't think Kat thought Ron was euthanized, he just had substandard care. He should have been given ice chips or sips of water. Too late for Ron but for others insist that pain is better controlled. The nurses may have been asking if you wanted pain meds to be sure that you wanted Ron to continue to receive the narcotics. They were very conscious of the fact that many people feel that hospice overmedicates their loved ones and hastens death. I am sorry your family had such a horrible experience surrounding Ron's death.
(0)

I understand the toll it takes on you physically and emotionally trying to fight city hall. In heath "care" you encounter people who are pure evil, networks and cover ups you never imagined, and unspeakable cruelty and onslaught against you. If you've been there, you understand. If you've never been there, you probably can't imagine I'm telling the truth. These people are not professional. You take it to the higher ups andthey bounce it back to the very people you have the problem with. they take it out on your loved one and they threaten you. You fight with all the strength you can muster, but it feels paralyzing. And as far as finding a "better" place is concerned, they falsify medical records to blacklist you, and remember, the new place has to accept you. If it looks like you don't have much money, or you will be any trouble at all, they just won't. And that's a fact you have to navigate. I'm talking about nursing homes here, but I'm sure it applies to all.
(0)

Hospice is paid for by medicare. And a non-profit hospice should not be turning any one away. The one I am using certainly never once mentioned money and I believe they don't ask for any. But then not all hospice providers are equal. It's a sad state of affairs when profit overwhelms compassion.
(0)

Hospice is paid for by medicare and some private insurance. No ins and too young for medicare then you pay on sliding scale and it is very little. A not for profit is required to supplement it's funds by such things as plant sales and craft bazars. Memorial contributions are also a big source of funds. Medicare pays a set amount per day which often does not come close to covering the patient's expenses, especially given the price of drugs and equipment. Equipment is usually rented but things like commodes have to be brought outright and can not be reused for another patient because of infection control laws. It is a real problem making ends meet. So given the financial constraints it is in fact better to keep patients alive rather than hasten their end. When hospice care for someone in a hospital or nursing home the hospice has to share the daily allowance with the facility.
(0)

My sister had copd which led to other complications. When my brother put her in a hospice, he led me to believe this was a temporary situation. She was alert the first two days, then, she seemed to be in a coma. When I asked him about this, he said her body was just resting. When I asked the nurse, she told me she couldn't discuss this with me because she could get in trouble. But,I had to ask her husband. He kept telling me she was not being medicated. She was taken off all food, water and her copd medication. He told her she was in a nursing home, not a hospice. He was her medical advocate and made her medical decisions. They swabbed her mouth and asked me to leave the room when they gave her oral medication. I don't blame the hospice--they did their job. I just wish he would have told me the truth. My sister died 8 days after entering hospice. He left me a message that she had died. He didn't even give me the correct time of death. I wish I was there with her when she died. She died alone. Her daughter and husband left the hospital early that day. He put on her obituary that she died in a nursing home. Thanks for listening. I am now trying to get her medical records--I just want to know what happened. Her daughter told me that she was wondering if they made the right decision. I wonder what the other choice was.
(0)

Carol, I'm so sorry for both your loss of your sister and the way it happened.

It was your brother-in-law who made the decision to place your sister in hospice care, yes? - rather than your brother?

Perhaps he hoped it was temporary. That would be a misunderstanding of the term hospice, but isn't it possible that he misunderstood? That he was thinking wishfully himself?

The thing about all of this mis-communication, which has been so additionally hurtful for you, is that people do just get things wrong. I don't suppose your BIL was thinking very clearly or focusing very well himself. I don't suppose your niece will ever know whether she and her father picked the right choices when they were asked to make difficult decisions.

One would have thought that, ideally, they could have included you in the process better. They might have considered that you would like to be kept more fully informed, and allowed to have a voice when it came to those difficult decisions. Yes, it's true: they did not behave thoughtfully towards you. But can I just say gently that at the time they must have had other, bigger things on their mind. They were not thinking about you, or your feelings. Given the circumstances, can you forgive them for that?

When you say you are trying to get the medical records, how are you going about it? If at all possible, do it with the blessing of your BIL. Frame it as a request for information that there is no reason to withhold from you, rather than as a potential dispute with him.

I hope that you do get hold of the complete information, and I hope that it will give you clarity that will help you come to terms. But I want to add a word of caution to that.

Be very clear about what you really do want from this information. Wanting to understand exactly what took place is natural, and I hope that understanding will be helpful. But be careful not to let it lead to second-guessing any decisions that were made. You will have the benefit of hindsight, don't forget. It wouldn't be fair, but it could be very damaging, to go on to challenge your BIL's choices. You already know that your niece is struggling with 'what ifs' - if you add a dissenting voice now, you could really hurt her.

One last point: that other choice she mentioned? In the end, when it comes to the end of a life, there may be two or more choices - but none of them is any better than the others. We run out of good options.

I wish you success in obtaining a proper, clear explanation of what took place, and hope it will bring you comfort.
(2)

Carol end stage COPD is very distressing and it is standard practice in the hospice setting to give liquid morphine to relieve the perception of breathing distress. This will probably also have the effect of making the patient extremely drowsy. We want our loved ones to feel comfortable and not over medicated but sometimes one just cancels out the other so the lesser of two evils is followed.
Do not give yourself additional pain by pouring over those medical records. Be comforted by the fact that your sister was in a safe place,well cared for and was able to pass peacefully. Grieve for the loss of your sister but don't second guess the decisions her husband made.
(7)

I can't help but add concurrence to Countrymouse and Veronica's advice. Carol, I am very sorry for the loss of your sister. I cared for my mother in hospice & throughout her final moments. She, too, had COPD as well as lung cancer. I was instructed by hospice nurses to provide comfort measures-- morphine and Ativan at the last stage, in order to keep mom from suffering through the pain and from having seizures from mets to her brain. I was there, and I know firsthand, you do your very best with what you have at the time. I'm not a healthcare professional, only a loving daughter who needed to make sure that mom passed in peace and comfort. Was she over-medicated? Probably. But I know for sure, she was not in pain or distress, and she passed knowing her family was there with her. We should all be so lucky! If your BIL was in the same situation, I sure he, too, did his best. We never get a rehearsal for these types of things, and cannot anticipate what will happen or what we would do-- you are just in the moment trying to do your best. Communication, too, is very difficult, as the situation can change rather quickly, minute by minute! 3 months ago, I was there again, this time with my dad as he died from pancreatic cancer. He was admitted to the hospital and surprised us all when he was gone in less than 24 hours. He too, was heavily sedated, and I am trying not to 2nd guess his care. My advise is to focus on your sister , her life, & the love you two shared while she was alive. If it helps, draw comfort from those who also loved and lost her, & try not to dwell on the details that led to her inevitable passing.
(7)

Thank you for your advice and words of comfort. I just feel that she would have had more time if she didn't go to hospice. I wish he would have kept me informed and I wouldn't feel so bitter towards him. I just want the records for myself to find out what the other choice was. Hopefully, he made the right decision. Thanks again.
(1)

My husband did not want to be sedated, we were told because of his insomnia, he would sleep well for a few days. The morphine Ativan cocktail was the last thing he needed, cuz it made his breathing slower and harder. He was not supported by a catheter and had to be helped to stand to urinate in the receptacle. He kept saying "Help Me" so I knew something was wrong. He wanted to move so he would not succumb to the drugs. He was never diagnosed as 'dying' or 'about to die' - and Hospice just jumped him in my opinion. The only reason we asked the doctor to de-activate his pacemaker, because he wanted to be in a special nursing retreat which did not accept active pacemakers! The doctor said "hospice can do that' - I'll set it up! And thanks Heavens the fire department took him to hospital after I revoked Hospice services - they saved his life! They could not believe he was given morphine and Ativan given his health and heart history. I have done nothing about this. Even after he was in hospital for two days, he had a terrible seizure and almost died, jumping all over the hospital bed. I guess that was from the drug cocktail experience. He was talking, laughing, communicating with hospice nurse who "admitted' him to the program. They never asked, do you want to live or die? And the doctor who wrote the RX never met or talked to him either!!
(1)

Believe that morphine and Ativan cocktail is given by hospice, paid by Medicare to get rid of the elderly to reduce Medicare expenses. Afraid it is part of the affordable care act. Very depressed over death of Dad on Nov. 2, 2015. Will be haunted by that for a long time. Gave him morphine and Ativan right after he was diagnosed with liver cancer and than went into a comma like state less than 24 hours after liver cancer was confirmed, he had hepatitis C for years since a blood transfusion in 1969. Diagnosed with hepatitis C in 1972. Lived fine for 43 years until age 90 when he started to get symptoms of liver cancer. Believe he died more of morphine than liver cancer. So sorry
(1)

126Cher, I am so sorry for your loss. How wonderful you had him for 43 years after the hepatitis C diagnosis. He must have been getting good care and also have had a strong constitution.

Medicare began covering hospice care in 1986. It really has a very interesting history in this coutry. (You could look it up.) Obviously this was long before the affordable care act. I know that in your grief you may not be thinking clearly, and tht is understandable. But I am hardily sick of people blaming anything and everything they don't like about health care and insurance on the affordable care act, when they have no idea how their complaint is related to the act at all.

BTW, my 78 yo father died 3 days after lung cancer was diagnosed. He was not on hospice and he did was not given morphine. Cancer does what cancer is going to do. We can try to intervene to make the patient more comfortable, and in some cases to extend life for a short period. "Try" is the operative word here. We are seldom in control.
(3)

Thanks for the information. My Dad was not in pain when he went into the hospital. Never walked again after admission. Said he needed bed rest. Three days into bed rest he could not move. Put a 90 year old man on bed rest for 3 days and that is the end of him. Talking about a man who roller skated every week from age 14 to
age of 87 when he fell and broke his pelvis in 2 places. That was when we had to take his roller skates away. I will look up the Medicare covering hospice, w history in 1986. I am interested. Would like to really know when hospice started the Morphine/Ativan combo. Thanks again so much for posting and I am so sorry that your Dad died so young. That had to be very hard. They started to administer Morphine 24 hours after diagnosed with liver cancer. He went into a comma like state and could not move his legs or arms or anything. But when they put the Ativan under his tongue tears would come down his face. I was the one who signed the hospice papers so I blame myself. I never saw my Dad cry before. Once again so sorry about your situation.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter