Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
My father had copd. He had good days and bad days with his breathing. I talked to him January 25th. He told me his blood oxygen was 98percent which is great but he still had trouble catching his breath. A hospice nurse told him to up his oxygen. He was not on oxygen all the time however. I talked to him Thursday afternoon and he sounded groggy bu still coherent enough to tell me that hospice had been there for 2days and that they had given him morphine. However i found out later that that morning he had coffee with a neighbor came home and ate a big lunch and was not complaining about his breathing nor has he ever been in pain while hospice was with him. I got a call friday that he couldnt stand and was glassy eyed. Hospice called in a bed and at 8:23 he was pronounced dead. Something just does not sit right with me about this. He lived in Florida at the time of his death and i live in idaho. I dont understand either why no one notified me of his hospice care going from 1 visit a week to 24 hour care. I certainly would have flown down ti be with him and be his advocate. Does any one else find this all a little off?
(0)

I'm so sorry for your loss, Stephmerm. As you know - as you've just brutally experienced, in fact - so often chronic disease goes on and on in a stable way for many years, and you get used to living with it, and then suddenly everything tumbles down and leaves you dazed and wondering what the heck happened there. It must be awful for you, too, that you feel you were denied an opportunity to be with your father. So sad.

Perhaps the best thing to do is to give yourself time, both to let the shock settle down and to get in touch with the hospice team and ask for a clear account of exactly what took place.

What occurs to me, for example, though I don't know who was telling you about it of course, is that people do like to be upbeat about things when they're talking to a relative. So the outing with the neighbour and the big lunch, while they may sound as if he was comparatively hale and hearty, don't necessarily mean that all was well.

The lack of notification is unsatisfactory, but unless your father had given clear instructions hospice may not have felt comfortable calling you. It's also possible that they asked your father if he wanted them to call anyone and, in the moment, perhaps under stress or perhaps thinking that it was a temporary situation, he said no. Even if there was a more general understanding that you were to be kept informed, that still leaves room for communication glitches. Cock-up not conspiracy, in other words.

Take your time and get all the pieces of the picture together, and I hope there will be a reassuring explanation of what happened. Again, I'm so sorry for your loss, especially happening in this way.
(3)

Yes, I feel as if in hospital hospice killed my sister, she fell and broke her hip, they did operate on her but she did not move much after operation....Ativan and Morphine was put in like an IV and she was gone in four days...... this was in Citizens Baptist Hospital in Talladega, Al..........I feel so dumb for standing by and letting them do this to my sister....
(0)

Grannycream, can you give us more information, such as were there other medical issues with your sister prior to the fall? And why was Hospice called for a routine surgery such as a hip operation? And how long after surgery was Hospice called?

Ativan is used to relieve anxiety, and the morphine is used to help with pain after surgery. I had major surgery years ago, and had a morphine pump while in the hospital so that I could adjust how much of the med I needed [to a limit].
(0)

I know this is an old post site but I was looking up that answer for myself because a loved one got moved to hospice today and is already on morphine drip and ativan. She was alert, responsive and not in pain yesterday at the hospital so why hit her with all that medication. A drip like that can kill you. So here are people expressing their grief and being unsure if they did the right thing and feeling guilty for it. There is some connection between hospice, heavy meds and early death. Maybe they weren't there at that exact moment because they had been up 36 hours straight with the family member and were taking a break.
(4)

I also feel that Hospice killed my mother in law, she was fine at the hospital , her normal self, talking , eating, etc. They moved her to Hospice that night after a 'procedure' to draw fluid off her lung, the next day she was unresponsive on morphine and ativan , the day after that she died. There is no doubt in my mind , they rushed her death, she did not need to be sedated like that so soon, It is TERRIBLE.
(1)

Hi soninlawOhio, How old was your Mother-in-law? What did they diagnose in her when fluid was drained from her lung. My Dad was 90 when they took fluid out of his lung and than sent him to hospice. Also on morphine and Ativan. died November 2, 2015. It put him in some sort of comma where he could not swallow. Then the speech therapist said that he could not swallow. Well who can swallow in a comma. So guess she was correct. Than they took him off of food and water and he staved to death in 10 days. Guess this is legal.
(0)

At 93 my mom was was alert, responsive and had a pain level manageable by Tylenol. She walked (with a walker, when she remembered it.) She liked the nursing home food and ate well. Then her hip broke. She was sent to a hospital. She was confused, unresponsive, in great pain. She couldn't eat. She could barely move her limbs. This all happened within a matter of hours.

People who say "my loved one was fine until she/he went into hospice" don't seem to realize that change can happen very suddenly. Yesterday they were walking and today they are not. But when you think about it, how could that change come on gradually? That they go through a period of crawling?

So the hospital strongly recommended hospice. Mom certainly looked like she was dying. She returned to the NH and hospice was brought in. Based on past experience she could not tolerate morphine but they kept her out of pain. They ordered a special mattress and special wheelchair. They had volunteers come in and fuss over her, doing her nails, reading to her, taking her to activities in the new comfortable chair. She used catheters. They recommended a two-person transfer with a mechanical aid when they thought she was strong enough to get up. Her appetite returned. She gained weight. Her hip is not repairable and could not support her, but she progressed so well that after a few months she was "kicked off" hospice care. She'll celebrate her 96th birthday this summer. She is more confused than ever, but she is content, has some friends, enjoys out visits, and clearly is not dying (though obviously she will within a few years, if not sooner.)

Did hospice rush her death? What earthly motivation would they have to do that? They only get paid for living patients. Same with the NH, who did a wonderful job of keeping her comfortable.

There is every medical reason to assume that people going on hospice are dying -- no matter how alert, etc. they were the day before. A doctor has to certify that as their opinion. So of course most people going into hospice care do die. Not because of hospice, but because of their disease, injury, etc.

But many people improve so much on hospice's good care that they no longer qualify for the program.

My husband was on hospice in our home for 5 weeks. They kept him very comfortable. I was in charge of administering his drugs. My only regret was that we didn't have them involved a little earlier.

The death of a loved one is a terrible thing to experience. We aren't always able to be rational about the traumatic experience.
(10)

Wonderful post jeannie, saved me writing all the same things this morning. You are such a great advocate for hospice care.
(6)

she did not need to be put in that 'unresponsive' state under the morphine and ativan at that time..... I know she was eventually going to die , but she had alot more life left in her before she went to hospice , she only lasted less than two days there , and as soon as she got there they gave her the morphine /ativan combo and was comatose after that .... which was less than 48 hours, I know in alot of cases hospice does good , but in this one , I seriously doubt it, they acted like they didnt understand why she was unresponsive , when they had given her morphine/ativan.
OF COURSE she would be unresponsive ... but they didnt tell us about the drugs until we arrived to see what was going on.
(1)

Have you ever been at the bedside of someone whose lungs are filling with fluid that can no longer be drawn off? They feel like they are drowning, mouthing "help me, help me" and nothing can be done. Go ahead, play God and condemn your loved one to suffer a terrible death. NOT my mom, not on my watch!!!
(9)

Some time ago a girlfriend died of cancer which had metastasized to her lungs which had filled with fluid. They withdrew the fluid once but do not keep doing that. She died over a number of days gasping for air and begging for help. She was fully aware of what was happening. That hospital at that time did not use morphine. Some years later another friend was dying of cancer. They put him on a morphine drip and he quietly went to sleep - no struggling. Would he have lasted longer with it? Yes. Would it have been pretty? No.
(12)

Babalou and Golden. I heartily agree with you both. I have been at the bedside of many hospice patients when their lungs filled with fluid and have used my only treatment which is the morphine. Enough to let them go peacefully but not to kill them outright .They are so scared when the fluid starts to build up and finally just bubbles out of their nose and mouth.
(7)

I just experienced my third hospice in 3 years. Mporhine was the drug of choice. While I agree with the use and it does help them to be calm I still go back to my sister (a nurse) who looked me in the eye and said I was to agree with her that they give mom more morphine and to up the amount. I couldn't answer her at the time. I have an EMS background and I knew what the outcome would be while no one else in the room understood. She wanted me to be compliant.I knew what it would do. Mom was gone just her body hanging one. Was it the right choice? I don't know. She was going and I am sure it was painful somewhere. Her brain was gone but she knew we were there. She waited until people showed up and then all left the room and she departed. I am sure the morphine helped her go quietly and efficiently. Once in hospice at that point there is no going back. I am sure it helps them to the next part of life but in the back of my mind I question. If I was in the same position I am sure I would want a little push too but there is always that question. Hospice is hard but the people there are angels. Decisions have to be made.
(3)

Just? TGE, what's happened?
(0)

I am with countrymouse...what did happen?
(0)

My sister in law 3 years ago, my mom 2 years ago and now my 94 yo neighbor who I look after (kids are West coast). His wife needed some major assistance with her financial situation (set her up with a planner, lots of assets and no direction or clue he did everything). I had him sent in our ambulance to the hospital a month ago due to major issues at home. She was trying to care for him (former nurse) but it became too much. They found major cancer in him said 6 mos, I said 6 weeks, it was 4. Helped her to get him into hospice at home. Managed a lot of it with her. Then advised to get him to the facility (then the kids showed up after ultimatums set) after he was already there and I was taking here there getting her meals etc. Then a few days. Helped her with funeral plans got the veterans cemetery and the funeral home set up before the kids arrived (then they did all the finalization after it was all done). Scanned photos for them etc.... multiple daily visits before during and after. Kids (Adults) are due to leave tomorrow and leave her all alone..... I picked her up a safe for the house to keep valuables and papers in...... It is a good thing she has 2 very honest and trust worthy neighbors to help her. I take care of the outside of the house snow plowing, yard and repairs..... it is like a set of grand parents so I don't mind. But dealing with the hospice brought back a flood of memories (plus my buddy was there in the shame place 10 years ago). So I was a tad grumpy for the past couple weeks. Too many funerals in 2 weeks to deal with as well. Need a vacation!!!!
(4)

my Dad is currently on hospice I question am I doing the right thing he is on Morphine and Ativan he is in pain but he is restless I wonder am I doing wrong for giving him these meds. Nurse came this morning says he may have a week or 2 How does she know with no meds he is agitated but he talks watches tv with them he only sleeps. I feel like im killing him. his legs are swollen and slightly weepy he is very much alivebut with the meds he is sleeping????
(1)

luvya771010, what do you think might be a better choice? Allow him to be in horrid pain for the next few weeks? Have you talked to the nurse about something for the agitation?

You are not killing him. The disease that put him on hospice is causing his death.

I know that no generalization applies universally, but as Americans we have a strong belief in progress, in our ability to control things, in "get 'er done." And when we are faced with a situation that his declining instead of progressing, that we can't control, and that is going to conclude contrary to our wishes, we not only feel sad, we tend to feel guilty.

Death is outside of your control. Alleviating pain (or not) is within your control.

This is a sad time. I hope you can focus your energy on loving Dad and mourning his loss and give up the unproductive (and unearned) guilt.
(7)

My mother has just been put in comfort care only - basically hospice here in Canada. Some of her meds have been discontinued. She is still eating and communicating though not as well as earlier. She is not in pain or agitated so there is no morphine or Ativan administered at present, but I have been assured it will be available of needed. Her body is slowly declining through disease - vascular dementia. Nothing can stop that or treat her disease so that she gets better.

I just looked up some literature on hospice/palliative care/comfort care and saw this statement which is meaningful to me,

"Hospice palliative care aims to relieve suffering and improve the quality of living and dying."

Meds at this point treat the symptoms of pain, agitation etc. that can accompany dying. The choice is to treat or not to treat, as Jeanne pointed out. Improving the quality of the dying process is valid to me. The doctor has assessed my mother as in the dying process, due to her disease. She shows the symptoms of last stage dementia. The recommendations made by the doctor are in line with that. They have removed meds that are not helping her and are prepared to add meds to treat any pain or anxiety. As I have mentioned before on this site, I had a friend whose dying process was not helped. She was aware and talking to the end - begging for help as she gasped for air. I would not want that for a loved one -or anyone.

Experiencing a parent or any loved one at this stage of their life is very difficult and painful. No one likes losing anyone or seeing them in them in final days, but it is a reality most of us have to go through.

I agree that you. luvya, are not killing him but treating him for the things that are causing him pain and distress in the final days of his life. I am thankful that there is treatment for such things.
(2)

Luvya771010, hospice nurses sometimes can tell when the end is very near. My mother's hospice nurse won't give a timeline because my mother, though declining, is at a stage where she could just not wake up or go on for some more months. Or longer.

She is off her meds. Sleeping a lot. But her blood pressure is better than it has been since she started hospice. Of course, this just means that what I am doing is making her comfortable.

You are not rushing anything. You are grieving. It's hard.
(2)

I think that most of us have no idea what a natural death looks like, our whole experience is often based on the death scenes in the movies or television. Or we may have kept vigil before with a loved one, but that only tells us one story, and every story is different. I think the reality is that dying is seldom as peaceful as we hope it should be, just as birth is loud and messy and fraught with emotion so too is dying, unless we are fortunate enough to slip away in our sleep.
There are professionals who have seen death and dying many times, and we need to let go and trust what they are telling us, they really have no motive to steer us wrong.
(6)

My husband had stage 4 cancer and Hospice came to the house to take over his care...BUT I was given the duty to administer his morphine and it made me very uncomfortable but I did not know this was not the norm..He passed away and now I have guilt because I had to administer this morphine..Shouldn't this have been done by the Hospice nurse???? It has been 3 yrs and this still haunts me...I think the nurse should have done this and not me...Please advise..
(0)

busterboy my husband was on hospice in our home, too. I was given the complete kit of medications he might possibly use, including the morphine. I think that is pretty standard practice for in-home hospice. The nurse was typically there two or three times a week ... and there was no way of predicting when hubby would need meds.

(Hospice does not service a person who lives alone in their own home. They have to have someone with them to handle the meds and other cares. They could go into a nursing home and have hospice there.)

By agreeing to stay with your husband and provide his day-to-day cares until he died you performed a wonderful service to him. Many of us fear dying alone, or dying in pain. It is a terrible and also awesome responsibility. It is part of what I meant (without understanding it at the time) by "in sickness and in health."

My husband passed away three years ago, too, on home hospice, with me responsible for his drugs. It was scary but I have no regrets and certainly no guilt. It was a privilege to take his journey with him to the very end.

I'm quite sure you will never "get over" your husband's death. I won't. But I sincerely hope you can get over the guilt. You did not cause his cancer. You did not cause his death. You did the absolute best you could with the resources available to you. You have reason to be proud and glad of your role.
(5)

when my FIL was put in hospital HOSPICE he lasted ONE (1) hour I do believe they overdosed him to end his suffering because he had been in ICU for 4 days before that on a BiPap machine however he knew what was happening and rushed everyone out of the room literally 5 minutes before he took his last breath.
(0)

I have to admit the thing that worries me the most about allowing my mother to remain home until her death is the fact that all the responsibility will rest solely on my shoulders. Most of us have never sat a death vigil before, and certainly not one where we are totally alone and unsupported. Yes, there are aides and nurses, but they come and go. There is often no one immediately at hand to hold your hand, to give us the benefit of their experience, to let us know what is normal and expected.
(3)

My mother had end stage COPD. If it wasn't for the morphine she received under palliative care in the hospital, she would have died an agonizing death from air hunger. She was taken off the ventilator, given morphine and allowed to die naturally with comfort and dignity.
(7)

Rosie 123 You will never know if your Dad was rushed into his death..Just remember that he was on Hospice and that they did what had to be done to make him comfortable in his passing..That is the main thing..We are all going to be there and I just hope that I will pass in comfort if there is no hope for living a normal productive life...So sorry about your loss..Just think of the good times and all the memories you have of him..I lost my husband in 2013 of cancer. When he was in stage 4 after all the chemo and radiation that did not help I can say that I would not go through what he endured..Hospice did what they could but you will always wonder if things went the way they should..Meanwhile, your father would have wanted you to go on and live your life as my husband would have wanted for me..But it is so dang hard to just go on but you must for the sake of the ones that you have living around you..I could go on and on but you have to grieve in your own way..Just hope that you know that you are not alone in this ....
(3)

my mom was given morphine and was dead less than two hours later. She had ativan the night before. I defiantly believe these drugs killed my mom, she had all normal stats before these were administered. I asked for an autopsy but everyone thot , why, shes old. it still bothers me terribly.
(2)

badboyz1, I am sorry that your mother's death was especially stressful to you.

Have you ever looked at it this way? Your mother's body was approaching death. In fact, she was just hours away from leaving this life, although it might not have been apparent looking at her from the outside. She was miserable -- in distress and pain. Hospice gave her morphine to ease that distress. In other words, she was very close to death and so hospice gave her morphine. Not the other way around -- they didn't give her morphine and then she got close to death.

Your mother had a terminal condition. That is what she died from.

I'm sorry that you did not have an autopsy -- it may have eased your mind. Who discouraged you from doing that? In this area they are around $800. Could you have afforded that?

Why don't you look up morphine, and see what the lethal dose is? Then compare it to the amount she was given. This might ease your mind, too.

The death of a mother is a huge, huge loss. My condolences.
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter