Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
PCVS, Neither The Connecticut Hospice has been marvelous. Every hospice use the same method, Morphin, lorazepam. If your mother is going to have six month evaluation pure soon they are going to tell you she is going to graduate from the program. The politic of the silence murders, they doing that to cover the murders.
(0)

I've already been told there is little chance she will be graduated as she id shiwing real and measurable decline, pasalire. I guess we'll see.
(0)

Such a difficult topic and so many different experiences. I have posted before about my own conflicts regarding my father's death in hospice and my feelings of guilt that he passed so quickly (6 days) when we thought he had 3 to 6 months. It was more confusing when my son and some of my Dad's friends visited him on Sunday and thought he looked fine as he talked about the things he wanted to do before he died. Yet, a day later, after a night of what someone on the board called "terminal agitation" we decided to heavily sedate him and he passed away 2 days later. He was and had been in pain and there was little that could be done with the various cocktails he received, to make him both comfortable and lucid. He had been in pain for some time and had been dealing with it stoically. I have not shared my feelings with my mother, who had been with him on several occasions where he was "out of his mind" due to the pain meds, and finally when he had a nightmarish night of agitation. I was comforted this week when my mother began talking about a few situations she knew of where spouses lingered on for months in pain and the effects that had on the families. She told me that she felt we were so lucky that he passed quickly in hospice care and was out of pain those last few days and didn't linger in an agitated and painful withering state. I am trying to reassess my feelings about this. I know that it is never OK to lose someone you love and death usually come too soon for those who remain. However, I am soothed by the thoughts of my mother, who was on the front line with my Dad, and who is at peace and is grateful for the comfort care he received.
(5)

If one has a love one who has late stage Alzheimer's/Dementia, please note that the person may not be able to communicate that they are in pain. One has to do what is best for the patient, not for his/herself.

I know I wouldn't want to be that patient, who is in pain, who has no memory left, just a shell, let me go with dignity and comfort. Even if it was possible for me to live another month.... for what? The same discussion among the family would still be there.
(3)

freqflyer, each case is different. And there are tells. For example shaking, shifting, grimacing, etc. In my mother's case, I can definitely tell when she is not feeling well or in pain. I believe this is because of the Lion's Mane mushroom extract I have been giving her (for a very long time, actually). Without this extract, she withdraws completely. Because she can still somewhat interact, I can read her tells for pain and discomfort. Thanks for the reminder, though.
(0)

In my experience on February 2014 my father was predicted six month of life, the doctor wanted to send to hospice. I refuse the idea, so I brought home. Please don't let the destiny of your loved ones in the hands of the hospice. If the doctor says six months of life the hospice will kill them in less than two weeks. On February 2016, again the doctor sent the hospice to my house and brought a small box with morphine, lorazepam, haloperidol, bisac-eva, cp prochlorper, cp hyocyam. As soone as I saw the box I knew it was bad news. I searched and found out that it will not help my father. The nurse insisted to medicate him, but I refused because he wasn't in pain. Plus, my father said that the medication is used to kill the elderly. So, for the second time we saved my father's life.
(0)

You know I am really really tired of being referred to as a "murderer' on this thread.

I am a retired hospice RN and my only goal was to bring comfort and peace at the end of life.
(9)

The murderers can not see cruelty because they see normal method of ending life, but no one can know or predict the time of anyone's life . how can they says their give comfort with all these narcotic, morphine, lorazepam, haloperidol, bisac-eva, cp prochlorper, cp hyocyam. Just remember no body can take anybody's life, what goes around comes around.
(1)

Hello 126Cher , Thank you for your comment. I'm sorry for your loss. Unfortunately I had no say so in my mothers situation. My sisters kept me in the dark as to what they were doing with hospice. I'm having trouble with that now. It wasn't until the day after my mom died that a friend brought it to my attention. Her memorial was on Saturday and it was extremely difficult that I opt to leave rather then staying. My grief feels it has different parts. My emotions are of my days consist of trying to sort out how my family could have done such a thing in ending my mothers life with the drugs morphine and ativan. My mother battled lived with cancer for 16 years,no chemo and took only the prescribed medication vicodine. She was a very strong spiritual woman. A day before she was given the two lethal drugs she expressed to me when I asked if she was in pain she answered "N0 not anymore then I always have been. Ironically my sister got angry at her for getting up and using the bathroom on her own too. I should have done or said something right at that moment, when I heard the tone in her voice as she sternly said to my mom " IF YOU FALL AND END UP IN THE HOSPITAL, YOUR NOT COMING BACK HERE.It set me back as to how cold she was towards my mother. . I think about that everyday . I don't have any desire to communicate with either of them (sisters) any time soon. As family goes when my mother died my family did too.
(1)

Sorry for any punctuation or spelling mistakes . My mind is very tired.
(0)

Veronica, you're not a murderer. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What one sees as plain, another sees as beautiful. What one sees as junk, another sees as treasure. This is the same with hospice. I'll bet that man in the hospital who kept shouting in pain for hours would have welcomed hospice service to shut him down so that he no longer felt the excruciating pain of cancer. He kept begging for hours for help from the pain. He kept calling out over and over, "Help! Help!" The nurse told us that he has cancer and they cannot give him the painkiller because it must be given at set times. Poor man. He was suffering for hours in pain.

When mom was dying, we couldn't get hospice service. And I can tell you all, that mom was suffering. Every time we tried to turn her, to change her pamper, she cringed in pain. Every morning, she was struggling to breathe. Because of Medicare protocol, in order to have hospice service, mom's doctor would have to see her and recommend it. But, her clinic/insurance does not allow home visits by the doctor. We would have had to put pain-ridden bedridden mom on an ambulance, travel over dirt road in order to get to the main road. and then back. We all decided that mom is so close to the end and we didn't want her to go through needless pain. Mom passed away in her sleep without hospice service.

I tell you this much, it was terrible. Terrible to hear mom every morning struggling to breathe. Terrible to change her clothes/pampers, and seeing her cringe in pain. I would have loved to have had hospice service - for mom. To ease her to a painless death. I still feel bad that we never got hospice service in time to make mom's last moments of life, to be painless. Yeah, I would have been gungho with the meds. Anything that would have made her last days as painless as possible.

Would I feel the same when it's dad's turn? He's not in pain. But if he's close to the end, yes, I would contact hospice service. So far, the home care nurses of Dad's clinic are very nice and friendly. I value their advice and feedbacks.
(9)

Thanks for your post, bookluvr, it makes the burden of dealing with end-of-life through hospice care more acceptable. I am sorry to hear about the struggles your mom and your family went through. At the same time, your post puts the guilt that I have felt for being part of a decision that I know sped up my Dad's death in hospice, in perspective. Sometimes more time is not a good thing and that is hard to process, unless one has been through the kind of situation you have. I appreciate your post and am more appreciative of the painless last few days and peaceful death that my Dad experienced.
(4)

I am thinking about seeing if I can get a health care proxy written with instructions that they gave to follow Hospices recommendations. This really scares me that my daughter could with hold medications to easy pain because they perceive them as ending my life
(5)

Kellse, you brought up an excellent point. I plan to do the same thing.
(3)

my mom was admitted to hospice i stayed by her the entire 5 days .i noticed they stopped all her meds and gave her morphine and adivan i noticed a big change in her..she slept more and became weaker and not able to speak much..i told them no more morphine and adivan unless she asked for it..the nurses and argued with me saying it was good to keep her sadated i told them No..they then agreed to stop the meds next 2 days my mom was alert and speaking...i took her home where she wanted to die..she died 4 days later with total organ failure.she just went to sleep with no suffering.i later spoke with a hospice nurse and she advised me the reason they keep them drugged is so they will just go to sleep and pass..if you love someone and they put them in hospice watch out for the drugs they give them every 4 hrs...
(1)

Bookluvr, here in CT, all the pcp had to do was get a referral from a third party nurse (vns) and then he made the recommendation to hospice. Then hospice sent their own nurses (evaluation and intake). Took less than three days from my request to the pcp by phone to the final paper signing.

Of course, the pcp was very aware if my mother's circumstances as he has been her pcp for over a decade.
(0)

I commented on this post weeks (months?) ago when it was first posted. It has been a real eye opener, and a cautionary tale.

Hospice killed my aunt. Hospice did not "rush her death"; hospice put her down like a dog. He had had a heart attack and fallen on the floor, breaking her left shoulder, arm, hip and leg. She recovered from the heart attack and they set the hip. However, they told my cousins that they should put her in hospice in the hospital because at 94, her bones "would never heal." (Really?) So they moved her into a private hospital room with a nasty nurse, loaded her up with adivan (sp?) and morphine, and denied her water until 3 days later she died. She was parched, so I gave her water on a swab. The nurse to me not to because it would hurt her "since her organs are shutting down." How the **** were her organs "shutting down" from a few broken bones? A healthy person can only live 3 days without water, so you know when they stop giving the patient water, they're going to die within 3 days. How's that for predictive power? Then they load them up on drugs so they have no clue what's going on. When the kidneys start to fail from no water, they release a substance into the blood causing the person to fall into what they call a "peaceful coma. Yes, they kill people by denying them water when they can drink. I gave a friend of mine on hospice a bottle of water when she was dying of thirst. She was up and talking and drank half the bottle. I was scolded by the nurse for interfering. Now I know what she was talking about!!

That being said, my mother has Alzheimer's. If she reaches the terrible end stages of that disease, I will not hesitate to put her on hospice. At that point, it would be merciful. But I would only put someone on hospice if they are ready and I am ready for them to die in less than a week. That's what this post has taught me, and I thank you all for that.
(1)

Without Hospice keeping my Mom comfortable in long-term-care, she would be climbing out of bed all day long falling getting hurt each time. The reason for the climbing was because she was in pain as she was only 85 lbs, thus sitting in a geri-recliner or even lying in bed was torture for her.

Taking my Mom [98] home wouldn't have extended her life at all, and I wasn't about to put my Dad [94] seeing my Mom thrashing about. When he visited her in long-term-care, he saw a peaceful person and that was the image I wanted him to remember her final days.
(5)

Yes. My loved one was home for only four hours.We had barely got the hospital bed set up and the oxygen machine running. He had pulmonary fibrosis, diagnosed two months prior.The nurse had lots of morphine lollipops and told us to keep giving them to him. Pretty sure that shut him down, but I'm not a doctor sand there was no autopsy.
(0)

*and
(0)

There are so many experiences that prove Hospice does in fact use heavy medication to bring a persons life to an end early. I think its time our government take a better look at their services and investigate if they are Bering properly regulated. If its the person in whom is terminally ill and is coherent then it should be that person who says if they want to be sedated into death. Before hospice steps in they should have the responsibility to have a signed document stating the wishes of that person PRIOR to any administering of such lethal drug. I see no reason why the physician tending to the patient couldn't have on hand the information regarding these types of arrangements. They are the first to know a persons condition and can present those options to the person or family members. I understand their are exceptions and laws governing family members to make that choice if someone is uncommpacitated however I speak and refer to patients that are elder . Patients that are coherent and have time to make that choice. There are a lot people that want to continue being ignorant and argue that hospice is not guilty of such a vile act but as you can see there are more then one case to prove different. Its unethical to keep people in the dark simply because they are in vulnerable state and haven't the strength to stand up for themselves due to their illness. Shame on all you who represent such a company and bring forth a premature death. Someday you'll stand before a judge that will bring YOU to your knees and YOU will recognize that ignorance is not a means for innocence .
(1)

Hospice has taken the life of many people before their time, heard many, many stories. Nurses and Dr's you took a oath to save life not decide when that person is ready to meet God, thats up to God! Morphine should be given to control pain not kill. My friend who i took care of was in hospice twice, each time given only two months to live. They took her heart meds away but i had more and still gave them to her. I prayed, God you take her,if want, but dont let it be at their hands, I've had her so far, for eight more years?
(2)

Yes, there will be people who are taken off Hospice and continue to live for more time. Could it be because the patient was on too much medication to begin with? Was the patient seeing dozens of doctors and gets meds from each, thus over-dosing making themselves very sick? Then Hospice comes along and removes all those meds, gives the patient something to make them feel more comfortable, and the patient eventually gets better. Patients do graduate from Hospice.

The only stories I have heard about Hospice taking the life of many people before their time has been on this forum thread, no place else. Of course, we don't have the whole medical story and we are not doctors to analyze each individual patient. All I know, I was so glad my Mom was on Hospice, her heart was giving out because of a serious head trauma, and she stopped eating before Hospice was called in, at least she wasn't in pain during that final journey.
(5)

Maybe that's because Hospice portrays to be different and by the time someone figures out what they've done its too late. Their loved one is dead. Its comments like yours that will keep discourage people from speaking up. Bottom line is ITS HAPPENING AND SOMETHING NEEDS TO CHANGE! IT JUST ISN'T RIGHT!
(0)

Christine73, your tale sounds like something that needs to be investigated for criminal charges. Definitely not right, but also not standard practice.

That said, I think it's true that being in a facility is less conducive to any kind if recovery than being home. At home, my mother gets constant attention, she can eat or sleep when she wants during the day. She gets hygiene care as needed throughout the day. She gets kisses all the time and I can give her homeopathic and naturepathic remedies as I ses fit. I am sure that she would have passed ages ago if she had gone to some facility. Hospice or not.
(0)

Uninformed, there are over 700 answers on this one thread.... people are speaking up.
(0)

freqfler I know there are over 700 answers . But your comment sounded as if you were implying that other then this thread you don't hear about it happening. If that is what you meant possibly people don't know or understand Hospice procedures and as I stated only to find out later when its to late. Or maybe they just feel so upset over it that they don't reach out. Either way the issue needs to be addressed.
(0)

I come in and out of the hospice threads. I was once a hospice volunteer, so know how things are meant to go. Something I am not understanding is that families call in hospice when their loved one is near death. In the circumstances I know about hospice will be there for a month or more up to a few years. Family members are there the whole time and can see what is being done. They have the option to change any procedure that they are not comfortable with. I'm sure that an occasional angel of death comes in and whacks someone with an overdose. That is criminal and not how hospice works. Hospice can administer of "cocktail" of pain reliever, e.g. morphine, and sedatives when a patient is agitated and in intense pain. Often the drugs are left so family members can administer them if they are needed. In my naivete, coupled with naive experience in training and working with hospice, I wonder how a family could be unaware of what is happening. I've personally never seen a life cut short by hospice using medications, though I have seen it cut short in a hospital using a cooling blanket. The patient had AIDS and had an incurable (at that time) neural infection and severe neuropathy. I wonder to this day if he had asked the hospital to cut his life short. I was very naive at that time about what was going on. Maybe it was good that I was.
(1)

BTW, the cooling blanket episode was not hospice. It was a nurse in the hospital.
(1)

Jessie Belle you are wasting your breath. "there is none so deaf as those that won't hear"
Everything I post to try and re-assure those contemplating hospice for their loved ones receives answers that I was part of the conspiracy.
You are correct, many people call on hospice at the 11th hour. We had patients die during admission or the same night. I was invited to keep off the thread if I didn't like what I was reading!
(8)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter