Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
My mother has been on hospice for about 3 weeks now, started out in hospital as she was transferred from ICU to Hospice, not sure if she would make transition home or not. As I said that was about 3 weeks ago. I have been giving Morphine for turning/cleaning purposes as she has too much pain when moved. I have not yet opened the ativan but it is available in comfort pack. today I gave her benedryl for severe itching and morphine when visiting nurse came. She has been pretty much sleeping all day, rousable, but declines to eat or drink. I keep watching to make sure she is not having any distress or difficulty with breathing/pain. I know as a nurse what these meds can do when used incorrectly, but in hospice comfort is comfort and we have to do what is necessary. No one should beat themselves up thinking they hastened anything.
(4)

don't know why I started to not get notices for this post. I do need to follow.
(0)

Motherof5,
Here's what I found from Alz.org. Hopefully it will explain the differences.

Vascular dementia is a decline in thinking skills caused by conditions that "block or reduce blood flow to the brain, depriving brain cells of vital oxygen and nutrients" (my italics). In vascular dementia, changes in thinking skills sometimes occur suddenly following strokes that block major brain blood vessels. Thinking problems also may begin as mild changes that worsen gradually as a result of multiple minor strokes or other conditions that affect smaller blood vessels, leading to cumulative damage. A growing number of experts prefer the term "vascular cognitive impairment (VCI)" to "vascular dementia" because they feel it better expresses the concept that vascular thinking changes can range from mild to severe. Vascular brain changes often coexist with changes linked to other types of dementia, including Alzheimer's disease and dementia with Lewy bodies. Several studies have found that vascular changes and other brain abnormalities may interact in ways that increase the likelihood of dementia diagnosis.Vascular dementia symptoms may be most obvious when they happen soon after a major stroke. Individuals at highest risk include those who have had a stroke or a transient ischemic attack (TIA, also known as a "ministroke").

Alzheimer's is a type of dementia that causes problems with memory, thinking and behavior. Alzheimer's worsens over time. Alzheimer's is a progressive disease, where dementia symptoms gradually worsen over a number of years. In its early stages, memory loss is mild, but with late-stage Alzheimer's, individuals lose the ability to carry on a conversation and respond to their environment. Alzheimer's is the sixth leading cause of death in the United States. Those with Alzheimer's live an average of eight years after their symptoms become noticeable to others, but survival can range from four to 20 years, depending on age and other health conditions. The most common early symptom of Alzheimer's is difficulty remembering newly learned information because Alzheimer's changes typically begin in the part of the brain that affects learning. As Alzheimer's advances through the brain it leads to increasingly severe symptoms, including disorientation, mood and behavior changes; deepening confusion about events, time and place; unfounded suspicions about family, friends and professional caregivers; more serious memory loss and behavior changes; and difficulty speaking, swallowing and walking. It's the "destruction and death of nerve cells" (my italics) that causes memory failure, personality changes, problems carrying out daily activities and other symptoms of Alzheimer's disease.
(Me speaking) So in vascular dementia there is a loss of blood flow to the brain cells, in Alzheimer's dementia, there is a loss of nerve cells in the brain.

(Alz.org) Anything that damages blood vessels anywhere in your body can damage blood vessels in your brain, depriving brain cells of vital food and oxygen. Blood vessel changes in the brain are linked to vascular dementia. They often are present along with changes caused by other types of dementia, including Alzheimer's disease and dementia with Lewy bodies. These changes may interact to cause faster decline or make impairments more severe.

I'm sorry this couldn't have been better news. How sad for all of our loved ones and ourselves.
(2)

Hi Thanklessjob, Just wanting to pick your brain right now regarding my father in law. Also, should add you hospice nurses were a godsend when my own father died of brain cancer. Bless you and all you do! I am truly thankful for your service to others.

Anyhoo, my poor husband is 'blessed' with five sisters who are in varying degrees of denial regarding FIL's condition. Background: 85 year old, morbidly obese, with prostate cancer with bone mets throughout his body. Has had a few fractures. Last weekend he suffered a mild heart attack and subsequently discovered a tumor on his spine from the MRI for his heart. He declined an angiogram but accepted targeted radiation therapy on his spine - once a day for three weeks. Have in home PT for him three times a day, but that is it.

My husband and I think he should move to respite care or NH for his treatment plan. Sisters are bullheaded, idiots or who knows??? They think he can live alone. They say they are respecting his wishes not to move to a NH. They are delusional in my mind. He could die in excruciating pain from a bone break or his unresolved heart issues.

I guess I answered my own question. It's just extremely frustrating having what I view as a not wanting to be the informed person in charge. She has no idea of his finances which is her responsibility as executor of the will. Child of the 60's, darn it. Still in the smoke cloud. Gah! I'm known on here for taking care of my own mother. It's tough, but I'm responsible.

From what we have gathered from hub's dad, he could afford respite. Medicare would pay for transit to radiation. Girls don't want to do it because dad wouldn't want it. Time to parent your parent girls. No one wants nursing home.
(3)

You said it in your last sentence. FIL does not want to go to NH. He would rather run the risk of a potentially painful death at home, then a NH. He has probably thought this through and has come to the decision to stay at home. Good for him, seriously.
(0)

Windy town,
Thanks for the kudos for hospice. Nice to know we're appreciated by some.
It sounds like your FIL is clear in his mind, (without dementia). Given that, he has a right, as we all do, to call his own shots. If he has been properly informed of his conditions AND what the outcome CAN be and he still chooses to be at home, that's his choice, however poor we believe it to be.

Since he has made his desires known, would he be receptive to have a caregiver help him in the house? Would any family members be able to take turns being there throughout the week? Can a neighbor check in on him? You could offer a bedroom in his home to a college/university student (rent free) in exchange for being there at specified hours.

He probably has visions of the dark, urine smelling nursing homes he visited relatives in when he was younger. I remember how awful the conditions were. Dear Lord, I wouldn't want to end up like that either! That's probably why he says no to any facility. He's not aware that we have progressed by leaps and bounds in facilities for the elderly/ incapacitated.

IF he would go, take him on a tour of whatever facility would be appropriate for his care needs. Maybe he'd change his mind. Many elderly also think they'd be abandoned by family if they lived there. I'm not sure you'll be able to erase his perception of what a care facility is like. It's part of his generation.

I would suggest in investing (very little money) in a push button alert system. I had one for my mom when she lived alone before her dementia got bad. It's around $20./month. The person wears either a necklace or bracelet (waterproof for the shower) and can push the button if they fall, chest pain or any other problem. An ambulance is sent. There is a key to the house in a lock box somewhere on the property, so they can go in and get him. It sure gave me peace of mind. It connects through the phone lines and can be heard all through the house.
I wish you all well and hope it all works out.
(4)

Motherof5,
I don't know why your post showed up on my "wall" (whatever that is?) instead of on this thread. Your question was;
Since your mom seems to be doing better, can she come off hospice?
Usually, that is determined by the RN assigned to her case. The nurse's decision is based on Medicare guidelines. If she doesn't meet the requirements set by Medicare, she would be discharged from hospice.

It's not a bad thing to stay ON hospice because the hospice pays for many things, with no cost to you. The hospice is reimbursed by the government. The hospital bed/mattress and air or foam topper mattress, the medications, the diapers and bedpads, wipes, urinals, bedpans, any suction equipment, oxygen tanks/or concentrator and tubing are all covered free of charge. All of these benefits are not available if you cancel hospice.

You have a doctor visiting occasionally, an RN overseeing the care, an LVN for treatments, a Home Health Aide for bathing, a social worker for any information/services you need for your mom, a chaplain for spiritual needs, our hospice employs 2 music therapists for patient relaxation/comfort and a dietician, if needed. Our hospice even sends nurses for crisis care-when family can't handle the caregiving or when the patient has intractable pain or vomiting. We cover 24 hrs./day UNTIL the crisis has passed. (That's the job I do!)
All these services are available through one company and all without cost to the patient/family.

Talk to the RN assigned to your mom's case. If you really want her off hospice care, she would be the one to speak with. Of course, you would be able to put her back on hospice if you needed to. I'm glad she's doing better.
(3)

My brother in law put my sister in a hospice. She requested that all methods be used to preserve her life. He told her she was in a nursing home. He told us the hospice was a temporary situation. When all of her food and medicine was stopped, I asked the nurse why she wasn't being fed. She told me she couldn't tell me, but to discuss it with her husband. He told me the doctor told him her body needed to rest. When she didn't wake up, I asked if she was in a coma, I was told, "No." He called the nurse while I was there and the nurse then told me she was okay, she just appeared to be comatose. She died 6 days after she entered the hospice. He told me he left at 8. She died at 1 am alone. I wish he would have been honest with us, we would all have been there with her. Right now, I am going to hire a lawyer because I want to see her hospital records. I just want to know why she was in a hospice, and what her prognosis was. This will give me some kind of closure.
(1)

Carol, it is my understanding when a person's body is starting to shut down, that food and water is no longer given because the body can no longer process, and instead of food/water going into the stomach, it will go into the lungs which is very painful.

As for dying alone, you'd be surprised at the number of patients who wait until their love ones have left the room before they depart.

By the way, only a doctor can place a person into hospice. It depends on the medical condition and if the person is within 6 months of passing. Sounds like your brother-in-law didn't want to communicate with the family what was medically going on with your sister. He must have had his reasons.
(4)

Carol567, it sounds like you BIL, was given a very sad and unfortunate diagnosis /prognosis, that your sister would be dying very soon, and being that he was probably her MEDICAL POA, the recommendation and decision was made by him to have her in a care facility with Hospice care, and though you were sadly not given clear information, it probably was the best place for her, and certainly for him, as dealing with the intense sadness of losing someone, especially in your long term home together, is so so dificult. Believe me, I've been there.

Imagine if you will, receiving this sort of information about your life partner. Sometimes it is very difficult to wrap your head around, that you WILL be losing your Loved One within 2 weeks, due to her terribly difficult ilness or disease process.

He may well have felt that he could not manage her alone at home, by himself or even with the help of other family members and Hospice there helping to care for her, or perhaps he couldn't face her dying in their home. Hospice comes several times per week, plus their awesome support staff, but they are not there 24/7, and very likely in those last hours and minutes, you are alone with your LO dying in your arms, and not everybody is able to manage this sort of pain, and some people are often terrified of going through it alone.

So much goes through your head when you are faced with these life ending decisions, and depending on your family dynamics, relationships, closeness, his own fear, personality, or even what thay well may have discussed Privately over the course of their marriage, sometimes couples want to keep things private to spare others or their own feelings.

I understand how saddened you are and losss you must feel, to be left out of that loop, being that it was your sister, when it could have been so very different had he confided in you. I do know, that Hospice in No Way, nor would any Dr, allow your sisters life been taken in haste, that is against the law and against all of Hospice's intentions, to ever take someone's life, before their time. They are only here to help with end of life support and to keep people comfortable and in as little pain as possible, in the event of a life ending illness or disease. I imagine his decision was difficult, painful, and obviously a very private thing that he did, keeping others out of the loop.

Your sister has now passed away, and for that I am very sorry for your loss, but if I were you, I would give it a little more time before trying to figure out the reasons why, but instead, celebrate her life as best as you can. Perhaps when he is in a better frame of mind, he will be able to discuss his decisions that he made on her behalf, but please know that it was probably very difficult for him, and he is grieving just as you are, maybe more so. If the situation is handled correctly, he may in time discuss this with you. Again, and you may understand his reasonings. I am so sorry.
(4)

fredflyer

Hospital can place a patient in Hospice as well. I know this, because they did this for my mom. Her NH PCP, "ditched" her 2 days before this happened. He did not come back to see her after this.
(0)

carol567

You're right, something fishy is going on. You're a family member, the nurse could have told you what was going on. Seems like a CYA situation with the place your sister was in.
(1)

staceyb

Carol567 is probably upset she died, not in the comforts of home surrounded by people she loved, but in the "cold" place where hospice was administered.
(0)

It's extremely difficult to cope with if you have no say in the POAs decision. My mother passed in 2 days on hospice alert with strong vitals. IMO hospices are being abused with overdoses of morphine and need to be investigated. A church member who was family friends with hospital administration convinced my sister POA to put my mother on hospice and tried to force me to agree by yelling and pushing in on my head "Your mother's going to die! to cover up for malpractice of my mother's thumb having to be amputated. Still waiting gor s good lawyer to take my angelic beloved mother's nursing home neglect for ruptured colon and hospital malpractice for cutting off my mother's circulation , but by all means I thank the hospital for saving my mother's life until the conspiracy to end her life on unnecessary hospice her primary Doctor didn't recommend as ICU and the imposter church member ended her life while my mother was making a miraculous recovery with strong vitals and improving white blood cell count from 3000 to 1600 ridding bacteria or sepsis as she died from respiratory failure and psychosis but she was alert during her recovery. MY MOTHER WAS KILLED UNDER THE GUISE OF HOSPICE IMO. Please set up an hospice investigation or request it if you have true love for the aging and elderly and their right to quality of life and aging in place. Please help resolve my mother's murder. My God may all who read put their burdens in your hands at the altar in the name of Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour.
(0)

Zytrhr, it really helps IF you know a bit about "the system".

You posted; "Her NH PCP, "ditched" her 2 days before this happened. He did not come back to see her after this."
When a patient is put on hospice, the PCP (primary care doctor) or doc in charge of the NH, TURNS OVER the care of his/her patient TO the hospice doctor. I doubt that her doctor "ditched" her. He referred her to hospice and failed to inform you that he would no longer be the head honcho. His mistake. Usually the hospice informs you of that, but maybe they thought that he had already made you aware.
You also posted;
"You're a family member, the nurse could have told you what was going on."
I'm not sure which country Carol is in, but here in the U.S., there is a law about how, when and with whom to share a patients' private and medical information called HIPPA, Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act. It's designed to provide privacy standards to protect patients' medical records and other health information given to insurance companies, doctors, hospitals and other health care providers, (like nurses.) Basically, that means that the ONLY people who have access to the patients medical information are the ones that the patient designates (her husband) and the immediate professionals taking care of them. Usually, there are only one or two family members listed, normally just the closest of kin, in Carol's case, her sister's husband. We nurses sign binding documents, at any nursing job, that we will NOT give out patient information to anyone but the authorized POA or Custodian. I could loose my job if I was caught doing so. THAT is why the nurse didn't share the information with her sister. Most probably, her sister's husband was the only one on the list with whom the nurses and doctors could divulge her medical status. The nurse was following the law. Surely, you would want her to do the same with you and your loved ones.
And lastly, you said; "Carol567 is probably upset she died, not in the comforts of home surrounded by people she loved, but in the "cold" place where hospice was administered." I think Carol is more upset that her sister's husband kept the truth from her and she wasn't allowed to be part of her sister's dying process.
P.S. Hospice can be administered anywhere... the patient's home, an actual hospice building, a nursing home, the home of a family member, a memory care unit, a hospital room, etc.
(5)

I'm going to say this as a person who signed the Hospice papers. Carol, he didn't tell you because he wanted to avoid you going to pieces while she was dying. The last thing a dying patient needs is an emotional outburst from the bystanders. They want a peaceful departure, not a room full of sobbing relatives fighting with one another.
(6)

Momlover, I'll reply to each sentence you wrote, (being a hospice nurse).
"It's extremely difficult to cope with if you have no say in the POAs decision." Yes, it is, but the dying patient has a right to have whomever they choose to be their POA.

" My mother passed in 2 days on hospice, alert with strong vitals." Your mother must have been very close to passing when put on service. This often happens. Are you aware that "vital signs" can stay strong up until the very end? I have had patients that I knew would be passing THAT DAY with blood pressures of 110/60. All vital signs don't have to go wacky as death nears.

"IMO hospices are being abused with overdoses of morphine and need to be investigated." The medication regimen is fully discussed with the patient and family. We have a standard routine medication sheet. It contains Morphine 5 mg. (a nominal dose) usually ordered every 4 hours., more Morphine for 'breakthrough' pain 5,10 or 15 mg. (up to the nurse's discretion, depending on the patients weight and pain level.), a medication to dry up excess secretions (in case the patient has a large amount of mucous), a laxative (if needed, to aid in relieving the constipation caused by narcotics), an anti-anxiety medication (to help with the agitation that can be present near the end or with dementia), and any other med that might be needed to make the patient more comfortable (Tylenol suppository for fever, anti-emetic to control nausea,etc.). I will agree that Morphine can make patients sleepy, to the point of being difficult to arouse, but it's not enough to kill an adult.

"A church member who was family friends with hospital administration convinced my sister (POA) to put my mother on hospice and tried to force me to agree by yelling and pushing in on my head, "Your mother's going to die!" ,to cover up for malpractice of my mother's thumb having to be amputated." I seriously doubt that the church member wanted your mother dead so she wouldn't sue the hospital. Your mother designated your sister as POA to make her medical decisions. I don't think she would have done that if she didn't think your sister would have her best interests at heart.

"Still waiting for a good lawyer to take my angelic beloved mother's nursing home neglect for ruptured colon and hospital malpractice for cutting off my mother's circulation"... Yes, by all means, contact a lawyer and see if you can get the nursing home and hospital charts and make a case, if you really suspect foul play.

" but, by all means, I thank the hospital for saving my mother's life"... So they DIDN'T plan to kill her!

"until the conspiracy to end her life on unnecessary hospice (that) her primary Doctor didn't recommend." Then which doctor did? I'm sure it was discussed with your sister, being the POA. This is the problem we see in hospice, where the family members don't communicate with each other.

"...as ICU and the imposter church member ended her life while my mother was making a miraculous recovery with strong vitals and improving white blood cell count from 3000 to 1600 ridding bacteria or sepsis as she died from respiratory failure and psychosis but she was alert during her recovery." Oh my! Your mom would not have been on hospice unless she met the Medicare guidelines. Most often that means the person has 6 months or less to live. If the doctors would have thought she was making a "miraculous recovery", they would have made discharge plans. PLEASE get a copy of the information sheet outlining the treatment from the hospice that took care of her or from your sister. A person can have improving lab values or good vital signs and pass away from cardiac failure, renal failure, cancer, stroke, etc. A normal WBC count for a woman is 4,500 to 11,000. (I'm assuming you forgot a 0 at the end of your lab values) At 16,000, she was still septic. Also, people don't die of psychosis, which is loss of contact with reality.

"MY MOTHER WAS KILLED UNDER THE GUISE OF HOSPICE IMO. Please set up an hospice investigation or request it if you have true love for the aging and elderly and their right to quality of life and aging in place. Please help resolve my mother's murder."
You and your sister should talk to the hospice that cared for your mom. As the POA, ask your sister to ask for copies of her records or to read the files they kept. It has everything documented. Hospices aren't in the business of killing people. Really, it would be more profitable to keep them alive to continue to receive government money. We are in this business to HELP RELIEVE suffering at the end of life. Would you have preferred to see your mother writhing in pain? Or severely anxious as she neared the end? Or vomiting uncontrollably? I don't think so. I don't kill patients, I make them comfortable so they can live their last few hours on this earth in a medicated peace. Your mom died when God took her (IMO). If you want to blame someone, talk to Him.
(3)

Thanklessjob Thank you for your comments. I have a decent understanding of the system. The disappointing part was the NH PCP did not notify me, it was the head of ICU. He was adamant to get her off life support and went as far as to make mention that she was "dead" when she was readmitted to ICU 5 days prior. The day I did go to take her off life support he made sure to be around, then quickly left. The nice nurse, Nancy,really was the saving grace. I wish her the best. After my mom was taken off life support she passed 7 minutes later. Nurse Nancy, not the NH PCP, or even her first PCP,who she had been seeing for several years, called. to let me know she had passed.

I feel bad for Carol, since she did not get a chance to say goodbye to her sister. I have seen and know about the patients medical privacy.
(1)

I believe that morphine giving to both my inlaws, made the die more quickly. My father in law knew it too, he begged me not to let him die there, that was the last time i ever talked to him, the last time he spoke period. That will bother me til the day I die.
(3)

The Morphine doesn't kill Hospice patients, it only relieves ther unbearable symptoms!!! Why can't you people get that through your heads!!! If you are living with guilt or shame, then that is on you!
The fact that you weren't there at the time of death, does not mean that you let them down, they may well have preferred to be alone! Your FIL may have been scared to die, and was begging you to Save him, but do you really think that you had that capability? Many people are afraid of dying, bht they are generally in a facility who is carefully monitoring them, and if they slip away quietly when nobody is around, that is often cardiac/respitory failure, and not a painful way to go. I only hope that I can quietly slip away in my sleep, under the comfort of a Morphine haze. What do you people expect for end of life, devine intervention? People die in their own time, not controlled by Drs, Nurses, clergymen, or yoyr brothers and sisters, and certainly not by the title of POA! The dying patients enlisted POA because they trusted that they would abide by their wishes. End of! Tge reason the dying patien didn't choose you as POA, is because perhaps they felt that you might fall apart and make poor choices based off of unrealistic expectations. They are on Hospice because their medical professionals determined that the end of their lives was near, and that comfort care was the very best option! The medical professionals didn't set out to kill them, that's not normal thinking! You can't change the inevitable!
(4)

Stacey, very well said and explained.
(3)

Thankless, you also wrote a very cogent, RATIONAL and logical explanation of the hospice process as well as a counterpoint to the sometimes illogical and irrational positions of people who don't really understand the hospice process.
(2)

We like to put blame on anyone, any place or anything that we believe has messed up our plans, desires or wishes. The car isn't running because the company makes bad cars. Oh, it couldn't be that YOU neglected to get the oil changed and have the necessary maintenance done, (it's not MY fault, they make bad cars!)

We know we all will die. We can inform ourselves as to what our options are, we can put our wishes in writing and tell our loved ones too. We can designate one person to carry out those wishes. We, however, have no say in what maladies befall us. One gets cancer, another COPD, another Alzheimer's, etc. The "chosen one" (POA) had to navigate through the illness to try to carry out their loved ones wishes. No one wants pain, now or at death. It can be difficult for the family to manage the patient's severe pain at home. Many family members are uncomfortable giving medicines. That's where hospice comes in.

Now the question I have for the "blaming ones" is, Why didn't you do any research into what the POA agreed to with hospice care? You want to blame us for "killing" your loved one but did you ask us for a copy of the admitting contract, what the hospice doctor's orders are? Did you speak to the POA about your concerns? Probably not. It's just easier, in your sorrow, maybe anger, maybe denial, to blame someone for for loss. (Read any writings/books by Elizabeth Kubbler-Ross. A good one is "On Death and Dying"). Have you ever witnessed a painful or struggling death? Probably not. It's heart wrenching.

I'm sorry your family member has to die. Mine have to also. And you'd better know, that when my mom's time comes, I'm NOT having her suffer or struggle as she departs this earth. I hope the same is done for me.
(6)

What you posted does not happen in all scenarios, staceyb, and definitely not in mine. Carol probably understands about hospice, what is probably upsetting her is that she was "kept in the dark" when it came to the condition of her sister.
(3)

Zythr, I understand the pain of losing our parents, we lost 3 in 14 months, it was rough! I'm so sorry you had a bad experience, and I don't believe that there is ever a great experience, but we have to let them go, and do our best by them. Very difficult times in our lives! And yes, I very much sympathize with Carol, but we'll never know the underlying story there. I'll bet is was very difficult the husband of her sister. I agree, she should have had a better understanding of the situation, sad on all fronts! I just think that we should look at all possible sides of every scenario. Life is difficult when faced with these types of decisions! Very difficult!
(4)

AgingCare.com is a God sent to a lot of us. No one is all good or all bad. No one is all right or all wrong. We all have had good experiences and bad. Same with the many Hospices. I know my experience with Hospice was terrible. I understand what hospice is suppose to do. Yes I am able to get the concept in my head. Things don't work sometimes the way they are suppose to work, well sometimes things do work the way they are suppose to work. Just trying to say they we should all support each other and respect each others experiences. Especially on this site.
(4)

I am glad there are other hospices nurses on the forum who are just as exasperated as I am at the senseless and negative rumours being circulated about hospice care.
Of course there are bad outcomes and unforeseen events.
Did the mule that kicked your relative in the head, gave her a concussion, that sent her to the hospital where they operated and she never recovered consciousness get paid by the hospital to drum up business and make money?
That is a ridiculous argument and so are some of the recurring comments on this thread.Nurses and Drs are people too some good and some not so but they are not in the business of killing people.
(6)

Here are the FACTS. Hopefully, this information will settle the subject that hospice nurses DON'T kill their patients by giving Morphine.
According to Wikipedia;
"A large overdose (of Morphine) can cause asphyxia and death by respiratory depression if the person does not receive medical attention immediately. The MINIMUM lethal dose is 200 mg. TWO HUNDRED MILLIGRAMS!!

We start the patient on 5 (FIVE) mg. every 4 hours. More Morphine can be added for "breakthrough" pain (pain not received with the 5 mg. routine dose). The breakthrough pain dosage can be 5 mg., 10 mg., or 15 mg. every hour. So, for every 4 HOUR period, IF you give the maximum dose, the patient could receive a maximum of 65 mg., a far cry from the 200 mg. minimum lethal dose.

So, for the accusers, do the math. We hospice nurses deserve an apology.
(7)

staceyb

Thank you for your comments. I'm sorry for the loss of your parents in such a short time. I'm not upset with Hospice at all. They were very nice and caring. I was disappointed of the lack of notification that my mom was on hospice, until a couple days later. Ironically, the NH PCP found the number and even called the police when the Hospital wanted her body removed, but could not do the same when it came to Hospice.
(2)

Thanklessjob

You do know in some hospitals, depending on the condition of the dying patient, regular nurses would still care for a patient, even in Hospice, don't you?
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter