Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Thanks for all of your comments. I really do appreciate them.
(2)

Thanklessjob, thank you for the medical information regarding the doses used for Morphine during Hospice. Hopefully that will help clear up any misinformation about Hospice rushing someone's death.

I know when my Mom [98] passed, I was so glad Hospice was there to help her smoothly pass into the next life without any pain. I was there when she passed and it was very peaceful for her. The Staff at long-term-care was wonderful, and later came in to pay their respects.
(4)

I FOUND AN INTERESTING ARTLICEL ABOUT MORPHIEN AND END OF LIFE CARE - AN EXTRACT READS AS FOLLOWS:

Sometimes people think that taking morphine or other opioids is akin to giving up or admitting defeat. However, the primary aim should be to make the patient's final days as pain-free as possible. This isn't giving up -- it's giving comfort.

If every attempt to relieve pain fails, a doctor may suggest palliative sedation. A large dose of drugs will put the patient to sleep, with the goal of helping death to come painlessly. This procedure is rare, and it's never done without full permission of the family and, if possible, the patient. Palliative sedation is not euthanasia, and it is not intended to cause death. It is designed to make the patient unaware and unconscious as the disease follows its natural progression to death. The decision to allow palliative sedation is never easy, even when, as Dahl says, "the alternative is unacceptable suffering."
(5)

My experience has been that hospice patients in a hospital or nursing home are cared for by the regular staff because hospice does not provide 24 hour care except in their own facilities.
The hospice RN will still visit the patient as she would in the home and the 24 hour service is still available to the facilities nurses patient and family. Hospice is informed of any changes in condition and the need to change medications. The hospice nurse does not however have any control of medications as she would in the home and has to rely on facility Drs for changes in medication needed which is very frustrating for the hospice nurses when their orders for home care are written with discretion to increases doses.
The hospice also has to have a contract with a facility before they can be part of the care team for a resident.This means a patient on hospice at home may have to give up that service if no contact is in existence. They can of course still go ahead with their admission and if discharged continue with hospice at home.
Terminal sedation while often requested by the patient or family is a really hot button and very difficult to arrange. The patient must be an inpatient and be constantly monitored as the dosing is very sensitive for each person. Most Drs are very reluctant to authorize it.
Another issue is the so called "comfort kits" If the policy of the individual hospice is to provide these kits on admission they will consist of very small doses of medications that can be used in an emergency and will include such things as morphine, anti nausea medication and other commonly used end of life medications. The hospice will have standing orders that allow a RN to administer these drugs without contacting a Dr. I must stress that the amount available is only sufficient to keep the patient comfortable for a reasonable number of hours till a Dr can be contacted and a pharmacy is open. In many rural areas 24 hour pharmacies are a wishful dream.
Some families are very upset by the provision of these kits when the patient is admitted because it perpetrates the myth that hospices kill patients. I can not tell you how many times as a hospice RN in the middle of the night I wished we had them. We did have a couple of Pharmacists who were kind enough to open their stores in the middle of the night. However it usually took at least an hour before the patient could receive their medication.
Not for profit hospices are run by an Executive Director who reports to an Executive committee of lay people from the community. I don't need to describe the frustration this causes. One example was that we wanted laptop computers.
New desktop computers were purchased! A few months later a big local company donated their caste off laptops that all needed new batteries at $1000 a pop. These being purchased it became apparent why the donating company had given away the laptops. Nice tax write off for them. After many months new laptops were provided for the nurses. In the meantime $13000 was found to re-carpet the entire office building. All the while there were still loose electrical cords running across the floor of the nurses' office. So be kind to your hospice nurses they are at the bottom of the food chain!
(7)

Thanks for everyone's post..I am so understanding so much better..about hospice..I need to stop listening to my family and listen to everyone on this post..because y'all are so much help and very very encouraging to me and make me see things different..thanks😀😀..
(2)

Mo5, maybe you can provide some factual information for you family members.
(1)

How long can a person live with respiration so of 80
(0)

All depends on why their respirations are that high.
(0)

Absolutely Glad, my parents had an amazing support system, and I still wasn't prepared to lose them, but that's what happens, people do die, and we grieve, it's awful, but it is life! I would love to have my parents back, whole and Healthy, but I would never want to live through those years of pain and sorrow again! Hospice made my Moms life bearable, thank God for them! I don't know how we could have done it without them!
(3)

below is information written by a writer, on the forum last month. Please read.

"Here are the FACTS. Hopefully, this information will settle the subject that hospice nurses DON'T kill their patients by giving Morphine.

According to Wikipedia; A large overdose (of Morphine) can cause asphyxia and death by respiratory depression if the person does not receive medical attention immediately. The MINIMUM lethal dose is 200 mg. TWO HUNDRED MILLIGRAMS!!

We [Hospice Nurses] start the patient on 5 (FIVE) mg. every 4 hours. More Morphine can be added for "breakthrough" pain (pain not received with the 5 mg. routine dose). The breakthrough pain dosage can be 5 mg., 10 mg., or 15 mg. every hour. So, for every 4 HOUR period, IF you give the maximum dose, the patient could receive a maximum of 65 mg., a far cry from the 200 mg. minimum lethal dose.

So, for the accusers, do the math. We hospice nurses deserve an apology."

I rest my case.
(4)

"Hospice" is not a place. It is a service. And it usually is provided at home.
(3)

In support of Stacey's suggestion.
(2)

I first wrote on this thread in January 2015 when my sister passed away. She was in a hospice facility for only 3 nights when she passed. I to thought hospice rushed her death. I understand now it was just the grieving process. I wanted someone to blame. My sister was diagnosed with glioblostomia in Feb 2014. We were told by the doctors there was only a couple weeks if that left. Since its been over a year and a half now I can see the suffering she went through. Yes, hospice did give her morphine for the severe headaches she was having due to the tumors growing in her brain. Ativan was also given because without the steroids she would have had continuous massive seizures. Hospice made her comfortable and she went peacefully. She died 11 months after diagnosis. She was only 53 and left behind an 18 year old autistic son. I miss her dearly. I am thankful hospice was there.
(3)

I have a love/hate thing with this thread- mainly cause I am shocked a lot.
Honestly, a lot of times it seems like 2 different groups talking at each at each other. Some of the grief I see on here is overwhelming. I also get the feeling there is a unspoken political agenda with the one hit posters
(1)

I should also add I have learned a lot about Hospice here
(2)

Long past time to euthanize this thread.
(7)

Sty, I'm sure you'd love to die a slow agonizing death at home with limited painkillers. Just a few short years ago, people with cancer were condemned to die in agony because doctors said that " patients would become addicted".

Well, some very smart and compassionate folks, many of them quite religious started thinking " what does it matter if dying folks are given levels of pain control that might be addictive? These folks are Dying and don't deserve to die in agony.

Thus, the Hospice movement began. Yes, sometimes there are Hospice facilities, but those are few and far between. Most folks who go on Hospice remain in their homes, or in the nursing homes or Assisted Living places that are their residences. Hospice folks are trained medical professionals.
(0)

Ok: there is a problem out there. There are professionals in all walks of life who do not do their job as they ought to, who fall short of standards, even who engage in practices which are anathema to their vocation. I agree.

Please acknowledge in return that not only are these individuals not the norm, but they are also actively pursued and weeded out by their supervisory bodies. Regulation is not as effective as anyone would like it to be; but then neither is law enforcement.

We still need to find ways to care for and comfort the dying, and it isn't like we have the luxury of waiting for improvements in practice before we decide which route to pick. The hospice movement is the state of the art as far as it has been possible to develop it thus far. It's better than hospital. It's better than families having no support. But no, it can't stop death often being a terrible event; and no, it can't give us the comfort of certainty in every decision that we make for our loved ones.
(3)

I think we might be talking at cross purposes. By "hospice", I mean end of life care which can be provided in a clinical setting or can be made available at home - as it was for my mother, although in the event she didn't require any medical or nursing interventions.

My FIL was admitted to A Hospice, as in the organisation with its own building, though. He had oesophageal cancer, non-operable, and had been discharged from hospital. He was in his late eighties, had had serious heart disease for many years, was diagnosed with MS at about 80, and had already rejected the option of chemotherapy to prolong his life.

Had he been returned home for care, he would have been under pressure 24/7 from family members to reconsider his decision. Two of them found it impossible to accept that he could not endure further treatment; and their constant distress would have given him no peace at all.

I think there are people for whom the seclusion of a good hospice is vital in helping them accept and prepare for their own end. Others will need the security of their own home. The only thing I can't think of is what sort of person would want to be in hospital; and yet until hospice services are more widely available that will continue to be where the majority end up, like it or not.
(2)

Sorry, I mean radiotherapy. Not chemo.
(1)

Sty, you say your dad had lung cancer. Walked to the bathroom and dropped dead. Did he have a heart attack? A stroke?

What "bean counter" was involved? It sounds as though your sisters, with whom you don't get along, had PoA for your father. Was your father able to participate in the discussion about hospice? In general, patients themselves need to sign off on the hospice decision.

Doctors need to certify that a patient, untreated for an incurable disease, has a projected life span of 6 months or less. Some folks die soon after entering hospice because they've waited until the very end of an illness to sign on. Others improve on hospice and "graduate"; they become ineligible because they improve.

I'm sorry that you don't accept the fact that your dad had a terminal illness, and that your defense against your grief is to lash out at your sisters and the hospice that cared for him. Unmedicated death from lung cancer is a terrible thing. Perhaps having your dying parents at home was simply not feasible. Please look a little more dispassionately at your dad's end of life desires, and get some help with doing the necessary grief work.
(0)

I'm sorry that my attempts at understanding and compassion are lost on you. Again, I'm sorry for your loss, but you misunderstand the purpose of this board.
(0)

Well wouldn't it have made more sense to delete ALL the comments from the last couple of days, now you all are shouting at nobody and sound as if you have gone around the bend.
Oh why won't they just kill the whole thread.
(2)

Cwillie, Maybe the administrators see this thread as educational. There have been some outstanding explanations and defenses of hospice on it, as well as moving positive personal experiences. Some hospice skeptics have been convinced to moderate their positions or take another look. And the most virulent hospice haters, on the whole, have shown themselves either to be trolls or simply unbalanced. It would be interesting to boil down the useful responses into an article, or collection or special feature, "How hospice helped my loved one --- and me."
(5)

My mother died in a hospice and they gave her pain relief to ease her passing. The drugs may have quickened this by a few hours but I would sooner that then seeing her suffer. I remember her for the active years of her life not the last few weeks confined to bed. When my time comes, as it does for all of us, then I will happy to have hospice care if required and will willingly sacrifice a few hours of clinging to life in pain for a swift and more dignified exit.
(7)

dear loved ones, Its' been a year now since my dad died under hospice care. I don't believe it hasened his death, only helped with his comfort. I grieve for you all, and join me in a memory eternal of our loved ones, not grieve their pain and suffering.
(5)

God relieves all burdens if we believe. If not, we suffer His wrath IMO in my opinion. Leave your burdens at the altar and you'll feel God's blessing and healing. God promises that my mother is in The Kingdom of Heaven. Amen.
(2)

Rosie23 like your loved one my mother went from alertness to death in about 2 days after recovering from major surgery in 2 1/2 weeks. She had no terminal illnesses. No question in my mind that my mother lay helpless and euphanized under the POA without my consent. In God's hands now.😇
(2)

Hospice can read the signs of death quite well I believe. My mom just died two weeks ago. 97 years of age, but awake and not hungry. According to hospice she was in decline. Hospice then called me at home to tell me mom had 24 to 48 hours to live. I asked if I rushed over would she know me they said ,no she was
Comfortable but comatose. Comatose I said? Yes we have her on drugs for the pain. What pain I said my mother had no pain. Oh well, heavy breathing as she is close to death, it can be hard on them. I received a call a few hours later. Mother was dead.
(5)

Sorry for your loss Mrsg169. I know only God 's hands can take away the gut wrenching pain when loved ones die suspiciously or non terminal on hospice. God is a merciful God when you leave your burdens at the altar .😇
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter