Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Please note, a person isn't placed on Hospice unless they have a terminal illness. And we have to remember, depending on the illness or if the person had memory issues, they cannot tell us they are in pain.... but the Hospice nurses know the signs of discomfort, thus can give comfort medicine to help ease that pain.
(5)

My mother had no terminal illness except for old age.
(1)

Thank you to everyone for sharing their experiences. I just left a hospice evaluation for my Mom. Over medicating is my main concern. My Mom is in no pain whatsoever but her right lung has cancer in it and therefore develops fluid in the pleural sac that makes it hard to breathe.the SNF said that she gets panicky when she has trouble with her air (and I agree) in between the pleuracentesis procedures where they withdraw the fluid. The recommended a small dose of xanax to calm her. When I am there I can calm her by talking with her. They dose her and she is completely out for 8 hours! Now when they're discussing Hospice I have the same worry. She is in NO pain and I worry about the comatose stuff for 'comfort'. I understand that morphine can relax the lung to let it expand, but the is a difference between relaxing and knocking someone out.
I'm not sure which route to take and I feel for everyone else in this same situation. It's a difficult decision and experience. Also, shame on the people that verbally abuse someone for their questions in this forum. We're all doing the best we can, this should be a safe environment.
(4)

The calming medicine xanax doesn't not take away the pain. And there comes a point where over the counter paid relievers no longer work. The stronger pain meds will make someone be completely out.

Don't forget, many of our elders will tell us they are fine, that they are in no pain, as they don't want us to worry, yet they are in some type of pain.

Both my parents went through Hospice, medically there wasn't anything more that modern science could do to cure the situation. I was glad both my parents had peaceful deaths, dying in their sleep.
(1)

Hospice may not rush death, Hospice in a hospital could, since the hospital wants that bed for someone else.
(0)

My moms has been on hospice for 7 weeks so far and at first I dnt want it or dnt want to face the fact that she was there where she needs them..I am glad because it's gives more eyes on and they have been great..she loss 14 pounds and is at the point where she not eating much she is saying now that she dnt want any more sugar..which I found that very strange..hospice just keeps saying it the alz.ehich I know that..question how long can your body go with out eating much all day every day..and I thought sweet was the last to go..please help..
(0)

Zythrhr, it is the health insurance companies that determine how long a patient can stay in a hospital room. Normally a hospice patient will be taken either back home or moved to a nursing home.

Decades ago, some surgeries required the patient to stay for a week in the hospital. Today those very same surgeries are out-patient, meaning less than 24 hour stay in the hospital.
(2)

motherof5, when someone stops eating that means that the stomach can no longer process food and that becomes very uncomfortable for the patient. You are right, sweets are the last to go. Sadly the body is starting to shut down, as to how long, that's hard to say. So sorry you are having to go through this with your Mom.

You might notice a rally with your Mom, the patient will start talking, ask to eat, will be alert.... vast majority of the time this rally only last for a day or two. My Mom and my Dad did the same thing. My Dad was sitting up in his recliner, watching TV, reading the newspaper, trying to eat a bit.... and the next day he was gone :(
(5)

Thank you for your kind words I dnt know that..that makes lots of since because sometimes when she eats just a little her stomach hurts..I just dnt want her to be in no pain and she is not..thanks again...
(2)

So you said that they stop eating because the stomach cannot process the food ..right.. Well is it also the brain that is telling her she not hungrier...because she says that she not hunger..and she says she is full because she ate all day..but she ate maybe 5% food...
(1)

Motherof5, you are correct, it's the brain that is sending mixed signals. With Hospice you know your Mom is comfortable and not in any pain which is so very important.
(1)

Yep since I got mom on hospice I feel better and I think they are great..she is not in much pain is good..thanks you so much for your comment..
(4)

Yes! You took the words right out of my mind. I haven't even been able to express these thoughts verbally yet. My dear mother just passed away a couple weeks ago. She went from a hospital to a hospice and then passed away after not even 6 days in hospice. I have so many questions. I feel I made the wrong choice.
(0)

brokenheart, so sorry for your lost. Why do you feel you made the wrong choice?

One has to remember it is the doctor at the hospital that diagnoses that there isn't anything more medically one can do to help a patient to improve. Thus the doctor will recommend Hospice so that the patient can transition with very little or no pain. Hospice doesn't speed up the passing, just makes it comfortable for the patient.
(2)

Brokenheart I can truly say that I feel your pain. I lost my mother in March of this year. She went from the hospital directly to a hospice facility and was dead in 7 days. I, to this day feel that I made the wrong decision and live with the guilt everyday. I am deeply sorry for your lost.
(1)

Virginias55, so sorry for your lost. There is no need to feel guilty, as your Mother would have passed in 7 days be it in the hospital, at home, or at a Hospice facility. It's nice to know with Hospice, she had a peaceful passing and wasn't in any pain. That in itself should erase that part of the guilt.

I know we all tend to go through the what ifs. I did when my Dad passed last month... all the if only I did this or that. In reality, nothing would have changed.
(2)

fregflyer

Doctor does state this. He/she has "freedom" as well,since once in Hospice, his/her services are no longer needed, and the patient and/or the patient's family won't see her/him again, unless they are there to witness the passing of the patient.

I know this from personal experience. Since, the doctor that treated my mom, was not at her bedside when she passed, his nurse practitioner was there instead.
(0)

Gosh darn! I said I was leaving this particular subject and never coming back (due to people accusing us hospice nurses of KILLING your loved ones). But ya'll need to be educated. Signs of pain include; frowning, tight lips, making fists, moaning or groaning, perspiration, stiffened limbs/muscles, rocking back and forth, fast heart beat (heard with stethoscope or palpated in wrist), heavy breathing, faster breathing or holding the breath. Would you have recognized all of these? That's what we're trained to do. There are many reasons that an alert patient may not tell you they are in pain. Maybe they want to put on a brave front or not worry you. Believe it or not, they may worry about becoming "addicted" to the pain medicine! We 'read' body language to determine pain. The doses of pain meds are small but can be increased. Obviously, a comatose patient can't speak. But they can suffer pain. This is when we need to use our nursing skills to figure out their comfort level.

I just had a patient on Saturday and Sunday with terminal lung cancer. I knew death would be within a day or two. Her partner had witnessed parents dying in agony without medications and told me her partner WOULD NOT suffer any pain during her death! I was in constant contact with the patient during my 2 eight hour shifts and quickly medicated her when she told me she had pain. Patients also get very restless during the final hours, (maybe they 'sense' death is coming), so I gave her medication for anxiety also. It's common to have excess throat secretions (death rattle), so I gave her meds to dry that up, to make her more comfortable. Her partner had me call the doctor because she was still slightly agitated. I got an order for more anxiety med and an increase in the pain meds, if needed. I could tell that she had only a few hours left, as she was changing her breathing pattern. You might think that the meds did that, but it happens when there are NO meds given too. I've seen a lot of people die in 37 years and that's just how it is. So, to all of you who STILL think we kill our patients, DON'T sign your loved ones up with hospice and YOU manage their pain, anxiety and secretions yourselves. My patients partner will never forget the agonizing deaths of her parents, (Your situation in reverse).
(12)

Sue C, I had also fled this thread until I read your post. Most excellent! I do some hospice volunteer work and it's hard to see all the misinformation that shows up on this never ending thread. IMO, hospice is possibly the kindest thing society has ever developed. Thanks for your insight.
(7)

Sue C Every time this thread is resurrected I tell myself I too won't answer but I just can't let the ignorance pass once again so my fingers get going so thank you Sue for your post.
(4)

Sue, I'm adding my thanks as well. It's a relief to see a well rationed, explanatory post on a thread with so many complaints and accusations and sometimes with little actual reasoning or knowledge.

I would add from a non medical person's standpoint that medicine is a very complex field, and that includes the issue of dying. It takes a lot of time and determination to educate oneself.

Hospice also seems to be a scapegoat for a variety of issues, ranging from not accepting the dying process to uncontrolled grief to just plain unwillingness to educate oneself on this aspect of life and the termination of it.

Thanks again for offering a rational and educated opinion.
(4)

I was a RN in London at the time Dame Cecily Saunders was pioneering her work as a founder of the modern hospice movement in 1967. Dame Cecily was a RN who later became an MD. I actually had the chance to visit the actual hospice building she opened when transferring a patient.
Wikipedia has an excellent article on the beginnings of hospice care world wide which dates back many centuries.
Hospices world wide are based on the resources available which in many areas are sadly limited. My own husband saw them at work in Malawi where the supply of pain medications and other supplies are sadly limited and many people die in horrible circumstances often from Aids.
We are very fortunate in the USA with the services available from hospice for the dying. Never does a nurse have to say "Sorry you are in such agony but we have used up all the morphine" Nor does she have to work on horrible wounds etc without gloves or dressings or have bedclothes to cover the patients.
When my husband was leaving Malawi he offered the house cleaner his bedding, she just laughed and shook her head and said "I don't have no bed to put it on"
Stop bashing Hospice people and appreciate what is available to you. It is a privilege not a right. Remember Mother Teresa, she gave her life to helping people and many others have devoted their lives to creating the modern movement. Although supported by Medicare and other Insurance, not for profit hospices have to raise a large portion of their funds from volunteer contributions.
The nurses you accuse of being killers are paid far less than their contemporaries in hospital settings so why would a nurse choose to work with the dying if h/she just wanted to kill people. I assure you it is not for the money
(8)

Thank you Veronica, well put!

If you don't want your parents on Hospice, don't use that option! Instead, try to care for them yourselves, at home, and in pain, or worse, struggling to breathe, and agitated! It is sometimes a very scary thing to do, all on your own! The weeks and months leading up to your parent dying, having the care and professionalism from you Hospice worker's, it's priceless! They know what they are doing far more than any lay person!

In our situation with our Mom, and even though we thought we knew what was happening, our Hospice Nurse recognized signs of our Mom entering into the "active dying phase", that we did not, and I'm so glad we had them there to guide us through that last harrowing week of her life, transferring her to the Hospice Hospital was by far the best thing we ever did! Our Mom was more comfortable, and we were all able to be with her as much as we liked, which was always! But there was not the uncomfortable situation of having her dying in my sisters home, especially since she had several small Grandchildren about, and often. It was my sisters decision, and one we all supported! Thank God for Hospice!
(3)

To put this in perspective:

The biggest problem with this thread is the title. People are grieving. They've been through hell, then they see The RUSHED TO DEATH thread. So the nurses are murderers and away we go......

As long as the name of the thread remains the same it will keep erupting with the same old stuff. Like moths to a flame.

Great comments to all the above, BTW......
(7)

The ironic thing about this thread is that the OP (Rosie) returned to say she was pro hospice, I hope she doesn't mind that I re-post her words,

"Overall, the experience was very peaceful for me and hopefully for my dad too. I have informed my son that hospice is where I want to be when my time to leave this earth nears"
(5)

Agree with all the above comments. I'm totally pro-hospice and became interested in it long before it was a 'thing' in Canada. My mum was in a hospice, the nurses were lovely and gentle; in fact mum died as they were washing her.

I'm going to mention a book that I've recommended once before here. It's called 'Opening Heaven's Door: What the Dying May Be Trying to Tell Us About Where They're Going', by Patricia Pearson. It's excellent.

Speaking of heaven's door, Bob Dylan won the Nobel prize for literature this week. Remember 'knock-knock-knockin' on heaven's door'? Love that song.
(3)

W
(0)

Would not need hospice as much, if Assisted Suicide was legal in more states.
(0)

It's a shame assisted suicide is only legal in Oregon,and assisted dying only in 5 states (Oregon, Montana, Washington, Vermont and California)
(0)

We are often reading of very the very old with multiple co-morbidities who have been admitted to hospice, yet still their loved ones can not come to terms with their death. I really doubt that these individuals would ever consider assisted dying, even if it was available.
(5)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter