Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
126Cher,
My dad was an alcoholic and, as time went on, his throat started tightening up. He was in his late 70's. It's very common with alcoholics to have esophageal strictures (tightening of the throat) in the later stages of alcoholism due to the acids causing scarring. Food and water started getting 'caught or hung up' about half way down. He would eat very slowly and chew real well but it was no use. It was just a matter of time before it came up.
The first GI doc he saw did many dilations to his esophagus, about 1 a month for 6 months. I later came to see that the doctor was in this for the money and he had my dad come back every month for a dilation to bill the insurance. He would not sufficiently widen the esophagus, knowing full well that he'd have to come back, so he could make more money.(Dirty b****ard) I finally questioned him on it, he told me if I didn't like his style, I didn't need to come anymore. I was recommended to another one and he was great. Only one treatment and it was done. I think he also had some kind of injection in his throat during his procedure that also helped. It was a blessing to find this GI doc. IF esophageal strictures-(not from alcoholism) is your husbands problem, there's a very good chance that he will swallow fairly normally again. He will be sedated and it will be an outpatient procedure. He will need to be driven home. The next few days he'll need to eat soft foods that are easy to swallow. Healthy shakes and smoothies with nutritional additives can help. If he has lost a lot of weight, his stomach will be smaller, so don't expect him to be able to eat the large quantities like he used to.
All in all it was a God send. Good luck to you both.
No, my dad didn't have cancer.
(1)

Thank you so much SueC1957 for taking time to write. It is a big help. We are seeing a GI Doctor at 1pm on the 26th of Oct. will tell him all about what is going on and thank you for the heads up on the Doctors who just are in it for the money. I am sure a lot are. You hit the nail on the head when you said his stomach is smaller because of the weight loss. He keeps saying that he is getting filled up fast. Even with the little bit he does keep down. Now I know why my alcoholic uncle could not swallow at the end of his life.
(1)

126Cher: Good luck tomorrow. My dad was an alcoholic too: he developed liver cancer.
(0)

126Cher,
I'm glad I could help. Having all the information (notes) ready for the doctor will make your visit flow much more smoothly. The info. I would have ready would be;
1. How long has your husband had this problem? Did it come on gradually or quickly?
2. What foods/liquids (if any) 'trigger' the throat to close up? Is it triggered by the 'temperature' of foods/liquids? Are denser foods (steak,etc) harder to swallow?
3. Where (in the esophagus) does the food 'hang up'? (Point to the area).
4. Are liquids easier to get down or the same difficulty as food?
5. How much weight has he lost since this problem started?
6. Has he taken any medications for it and were they helpful?
7. Any history of this happening before this episode?
8. Have a list of all the medications he takes or just throw all his med bottles in a plastic ziploc bag and take them with you.
Take any other pertinent information you can think of (history of smoking, severe gastric reflux disease or peptic ulcer, etc.) along with 'home remedies'.
Hopefully the GI doc will have access to his previous medical records but be prepared to state what medical problems he's had in the last 10-15 years.
Good luck tomorrow. 😊 🙏🏼
(2)

Oops, I forgot to answer your question, "How long did it take your father to be able to swallow again?" Cher, as I remember (20 years ago), it was immediately. He'll have to go easy the first couple of days as his throat will be sore from the procedure. (they put rings down the throat to forcefully 'stretch' it open. (At least that's how they did it then.) But after the first couple of days, he'll be good to go! (In my experience.)
(2)

Thanks jinglebts and SueC1957 for wishing us well. SueC1957 I am printing the list you gave us and bringing it with me. Will be in touch.Luv. Me
(1)

Did anyone bring up the case in canada where the nurse killed 8 elderly people with drugs? Were they hospice patients? It is a long term care facility, but I mean hospice treating the patients there.
(0)

From this original question, Did Hospice hasten your loved one's death..Absolutely. They absolutely did. If your loved one is in terrible pain and it's time to let them go, and you want drugs for them, the Hospice is the way to go.
If you've been told they have an illness and probably have 6 months or less, think hard. They take away anything that will help them to enjoy their life, like excercise, walking, any meds besides 'comfort only'. They bring on morphine and opiates and Ativan, etc, yes, even when they're not in pain. The nurse said these words to me, "Hospice doesn't hasten death, but by giving these amounts of drugs we can suppress the respiratory system, bring on pneumonia and other problems that will."
(2)

We don't have the kind of big business hospice 'machine' in Canada that you have in the USA, I was amazed at the number of providers that came up when I was doing a simple search for another poster. I think the rules for funded hospice care complicate the issue and too often there seems to be an assumption on the part of many hospice providers that anyone admitted is at death's door if not already actively dying. When everything moves along at a lightening pace family is too overwhelmed to make informed decisions, and any objections become pointless when you find yourself in a situation like Stressed123. I'm sorry :(
(4)

I am definitely overwhelmed. Although my Mom is at a not for profit SNF I don't know if the attached Hospice people operate that way. Hospice people are never there, just the nurses at the facility. It's a good place but they are so stuck on one course of action that it's actually killing my Mom. Using Xanax to "calm" her, but it's causing pseudodementia, memory loss, and hallucinations, crying and it's awful! So they give her more to knock her out. I'm so stressed. I want to remove her and bring her home but I can't physically manage the diapers and bathing. Hospice said they visit 2 maybe 3 times a week and that leaves just me. I don't know what to do :(
(2)

My mother suffered from melanoma cancer, it had spread throughout her entire body, The day I took her to the hospital for the last time, I carried her in my arms and told my sister she'll never leave the hospital. It was obvious she was on her way to dying. Five days later she died.
I ask the doctor if they could just relieve her pain and suffering and let her die with dignity. No, they said there was nothing they could do but let nature take it course. We sat by her side and watched her slowly die, it was a horrible death. She drew up into the fetal position, and slowly wither away.
In this case, I believe there should be a law allowing the family to decide on assisted death. But, there must be no doubt the person will never recover. Watching someone die a slow painful death is very hard on the family.
(5)

Skyhigh I am so sorry you you had to watch your mother endure such a horrible death. After such an experience I never say you should have done this or that but this time I will not say it but do say there was a lot that could have been done to ease this misery. Certainly nothing could have been done about the melaoma but the pain is another story.You are in no way to blame so don't feel you should have done anything but I hope there are people out there who do regret their actions in not caring about you Mom.
(4)

At this moment my father-in-law is in the hospital, at age 93, he is a very difficult patient. He is literally out of his mind. Blind, deaf, and now confined to a bed. The doctor has given him drugs to calm him down, but they only seem to make him worse. He tugs and pulls at his IV's, pulls at all his tubes etc. He does have pneumonia in one lung.
My wife is a small woman and it takes two people to hold him down. It seems the doctor don't know what to do with him. We know he wants to die, he has told us many times he ready to go.
My wife is worn out, her sister and aunt have been setting with him day and night, but every day seems to get worse. They have not talked about hospice so far, but if he returns to assisted living he will be put into the nursing home.
I sometimes wonder if we have come as far in medicine as we think we have.
(5)

skyhigh

I'm so sorry about your mom, and now it seems your FIL may be next to go. Medicine is now all about money, and how much can be made off each patient.
(0)

stressed123

I'm sorry you're going through this. Hospice in your mom's case is probably to come around as little as possible, but still enough to be able to bill Medicare. They probably feel your mom is going to die anyway, so why bother.
(1)

Stressed please ignore everything that zytrhr writes, she is a very negative person and her remarks are always hurtful. People have asked her to stop but she persists. You don't need this right now. Hugs
(6)

Veronica, you are so polite to this jack**. Well, I'm not going to be.
zytrhr,
How in the h*ll can you say that, "Medicine is now all about money, and how much can be made off each patient." Are you nuts? Have YOU been to a doctor lately? Maybe for lab tests or a preventative flu shot? I've had it with your ridiculous remarks. Yes, medical care costs a lot in the U.S. but we have the most advanced technology in the world. We SAVE millions of lives through treatment for existing diseases and/or prevention of acquiring new diseases. Yes, costs are high, but the technology to create new drugs, treatments and machines to keep YOUR butt healthy is expensive. People are not dying, they are living. There is no price on your or your loved one's health.

What insensitive moron would state, "Hospice in your mom's case is probably to come around as little as possible, but still enough to be able to bill Medicare. They probably feel your mom is going to die anyway, so why bother." ?
DOES THAT MAKE ANYONE FEEL BETTER? DOES IT? Are you trying to make the hurting family member feel like cr*p? Well, you're doing a good job of it!!!
You are an ignoramus and should be banned from posting on this board. There are wonderful people here, trying to do their best in an impossible situation. Go find another board to invade with your hateful remarks.
(6)

I written to the admins about this obnoxious person. You all should too.
(5)

Oh Zytrhr, please just go away with your cruel remarks! People are hurting here, and your not helping! You clearly know Nothing about Hospice or Medicine! Are you out to inflict further pain on top of people who are already suffering from grief and pain of losing their Loved Ones? Because that is exactly what you do, all the time! Please stop and think about what you are writing! Are you a TROLL?

SueC1957, Too Right! This Zytrhr person has been a menace since she/he began posting on this site! I have no idea where she gets her rediculous information, but it Always Wrong, and Always Insensitive! I am inclined to think she is a TROLL, just hanging around to get her Jolly's! I too will make a Complaint to the AC Administration! I've ad it with that poster!
(5)

Stressed, if xanax is not working have docs try another med. Xanax had the exact opposite effect as intended on my mom. Happens often med reactions cannot be predicted on those with dementia, practicing medicine.
(3)

My mom was just accepted into hospice last week. This will provide her additional services that Medicare will cover 100%. She has been very sick for a few years with Alzheimer's. Receiving the care from hospice will also free up some time for the caregivers at the memory care she is in. In a way it is sad, that medicine is extending lives of those we love. We feel that there is something that will keep them going for just a bit longer. But, I know that this is what my mom would want. She has had a DNR in place for years, she does not want the med or other measures used that would have her live a bit longer. And for her children to decide to do something else would not be respectful of her wishes. I won't even go into my wacky family because everything they have done for years would have appalled my mother.

Z. Go away, everywhere you go you cause turmoil to so many caregivers that are doing the best they possibly can.
(3)

First of all I'm a man. Second, how dare you think I come in here to make fun at people who have loved ones who are sick and/or dead/dying. I have to live with How dare you Here is the true story of the hell my mom went through. It is long, so if you don't want to read it, that's fine.

My mom went to the hospital Jan 20 of this year on the diagnosis of low blood sugar. While there, the hospital PT thought it would help if she went to skilled nursing for PT. She was released from the hospital Jan 26 going straight to skilled nursing. She did the program, passed and even graduated on Mar 5. Her joy of going home was short lived, because of a claim of C-diff. A side effect of the new medicine she was taking could be diarrhea. While thinking she had C-diff she was treated like a leper. She was released to the hospital from skilled nursing, on April 13,because of their concern about her weight (she lost 62 pounds). She was in the hospital a few more days, but was weak again. She lost almost all the strength training she had done. She went to another skilled nursing near the hospital for PT again. She rightfully felt she had done the work, so she did not do it. Instead of the PT being understanding and working with her,they got irritated with her and released her from the program. In the meantime she still was not eating and shared a room with 2 other women, one who made sure to block the lone bathroom in the room, so you would have to go past her to get to it. Back to the hospital again, She was asked why she was not participating. She said she had done the work. The woman made the comment,that was the old place this was the new one. I made the comment her primary care doctor did not want to be involved with her care, and yes it was getting heated. The woman mentioned she could understand my frustration, but the primary care doctor is not involved with the NH physician. She stated some rule or and other nonsense. So, mom was moved to an upstairs room at the hospital. She was still not eating and was now talking about suicide.

PT came to her room, tried to get her to do PT,which she did very little, She was literally staying in bed all day. He said she could probably go home, but she would still be too weak, so another suggestion to go to skilled nursing for PT. This is the decision I regret and will for the rest of my life

Agreed to PT. Picked out 3 places, 2 5 star, one 3 star near home. 5 star, no opening,3 star space. Went there, still not eating, talking of suicide She went there the beginning of May. Social worker fills out paper asking about family and sex life which was kind of inappropriate but mom said "She had a wonderful man, (which he was) and she did not want another one" Mom stayed there 10 days, back to hospital, back to skilled nursing, final time to go to hospital was June 12, a Sunday

Nurse at NH called 3 am Sun morning said mom had temp of 105 had diarrhea for a few days. Scared as heck, Went to hospital, mom in ICU, with diarrhea due to C-diff. C-diff turned to Sepsis, then Septic Shock. Of course in room,had to wear gown and gloves not to infect others. Visit Sun, Tues of that week. She was moved to another room. Visit Father's Day. Watched "Alaskan Bush People" Mom was funny and cognizant. Monday, woman from NH doctor called to state mom would be better at LTACH. Mom went to LTACH upstairs same hospital. She was moved Mon. Went Tues she would open her eyes, yell and close them. I did not know then, she was near death, since her hands were cold. Wed morning call message from nurse 1am in morning. Returned call, nurse said mom was back at ICU. Mom squeezed the nurses hand, opened her eyes, then closed them. That was it. After 5 days, doctors felt she was gone. There was no time to contact her dear friends or my brother who lives across country in Seattle to say Goodbye. Went to say see her on Jun 29. She was hooked up to all these machines, including one for breathing. Made the heartbreaking decision to disconnect life support, This is very hard, made decision after seeing blood in her fingers and back of her head had turned blue due to lack of oxygen. Hospice had been called a few days before. Hospice doctor came to offer support condolences, Priest came and a really nice spiritual lady as well. All 4 (Hospice doctor had trainee) were nice. I told the nice nurse on duty that it would be too hard to see her be disconnected from life support. She was very nice and offered her condolences as well. I left. they disconnected life support at 5 PM, she passed at 5:07 PM. That's her story

I KNOW what most of you are feeling when you lose someone you love. Mom was a lot of fun to be around and smart as well. Her stories, some were hilarious, some serious, With her gone, things aren't and will never be the same. I miss her everyday.
(0)

Don't expect to ever hear from eye doctors and their staff that she went to for several years.

Ironically police who came to the house when the hospital wanted her body out of there were nicer than Firemen who came along with the EMTs. She did live to 20 years since her retirement but passed before her 85th birthday which is in Aug.

Why I don't too much care for doctors, The NH doctor who "treated"
signed the papers to get paid July 4. Never heard from his staff or he again,and don't expect to. No call, card or condolences.
(0)

In case some of you still think I'm insensitive to the pain of others. the police visited the home with a notice to call the medical examiner's office

One of my brothers passed April 12 at 12:34am at the hospital from a heart attack. Mom did not know about his death while she was alive.
(0)

zytrhr,
I am sorry for the loss of your mother. It is a very painful thing to go through. It seems like you felt out of control in her passing, as most of us do. But we are all going to pass in our own individual way.

Your mother had nothing to do with why people are upset with you. That is NOT why people are angry. You claim to be sensitive to the dying and their families, so WHY do you write such horrible things? Maybe you don't realize WHAT you are saying and HOW it comes across to people. Maybe English isn't your first language and you have trouble navigating through the "rules of etiquette" of what to say and what not to say in this culture. Can't you see that many of us are outraged by what you write? Why do you think that we are angry? Because you have hurt and offended us by what you've said.

I will give you some tips on what NOT to say here.
1. Do NOT say anything negative about the people caring for a loved ones' family member. (The hospice isn't coming because they're just waiting for her to die anyway.) That is very OFFENSIVE and it just isn't said.
2. Try to be as comforting to the family of the dying person as possible, just like you wanted everyone (connected with your mom), to be with you. Do not just blurt out your opinion, check it first to see whether YOU'D be offended if someone said that to you. You told me once, on a different thread, that I wouldn't CARE when my mom dies because I said that we didn't have a great relationship throughout the years because she is narcissistic. How do you know what I'd feel? I might cry my eyes out in sorrow for the relationship that we never had. You need to always keep in mind if your words could hurt someone else.
3. Maybe you should read your responses to someone at home first before you post them, until you get a better "feel" for what is insulting and what isn't.
4. Maybe you could write a "disclaimer", I don't mean to offend anyone but could it be that........
5. Most of all be positive! Try to give people comfort and hope. Do NOT dwell on the negative aspects of the situation.
Most of us don't want to be around someone when we feel they are attacking us.
I am trying to understand your thinking process and get over the anger I have built against you. Please make yourself "lovable' and no one will have bad feeling toward you.
(4)

Yes the hospice nurse gave my dad a large dose of morphine when he was still talking. He even was sitting up earlier that day and ate a half of cheeseburger and a cup of coffee. He was fine the night before when my mom was asking if he was in pain and he said no. He had been on hospice just one day and was given only 25mg that day. Later when the nurse came she did not even ask my dad if he was in pain even when he was still talking. The nurse told my mom, sister, and brother that she could tell he was in pain by looking at his face but my family knew him better than she and they didn't see it in his face. She gave him a whole syringe of the activation and morphine and he never woke up after that. He died. The nurse must have thought she did something wrong because she said. "That shot didn't make him die." Then what made him die suddenly when he was only on hospice for one day and he was still talking and eating?
(2)

Yes the hospice nurse gave my dad a large dose of morphine when he was still talking. He even was sitting up earlier that day and ate a half of cheeseburger and a cup of coffee. He was fine the night before when my mom was asking if he was in pain and he said no. He had been on hospice just one day and was given only 25mg that day. Later when the nurse came she did not even ask my dad if he was in pain even when he was still talking. The nurse told my mom, sister, and brother that she could tell he was in pain by looking at his face but my family knew him better than she and they didn't see it in his face. She gave him a whole syringe of the activation and morphine and he never woke up after that. He died. The nurse must have thought she did something wrong because she said. "That shot didn't make him die." Then what made him die suddenly when he was only on hospice for one day and he was still talking and eating?
(0)

Perhaps he had a stroke. Or a heart attack.
(2)

Zytrhr sorry I got your sex wrong but that does not alter my opinion of the things you have written even though you are still grieving your mother's loss.
Calling Hospice nurses "muderers" is beyond unacceptable.
(1)

Pam373, my heartfelt sympathy to you and your family.

I agree with Babalou above, your Dad's passing was from something else, not the morphine. It could have been an aneurysm.

In Hospice care the usual dosage is between 5-15mg to help keep the pain down. In order for morphine to take a life, the minimum dosage would need to be 200mg. I hope that will give you comfort knowing it wasn't the morphine.
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter