Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Please note that a patient with a terminal illness will pass on the same time table with or without Hospice. It all depends on if you want your love one to pass with horrible pain or not. When the body organs start to slow down, it can be uncomfortable, and painful if the patient is given any food or water. The food/water sits in the stomach, and water sits in the kidneys.

It is not unusual for a patient to have what is called a rally, where the patient will wake up, start talking, wanting to eat, etc. Then return back into a coma state. This is normal, with or without Hospice.

Also note, the amount of morphine given is no different than the morphine given to someone after they had major surgery. I got the morphine after numerous surgeries.... I am still here.
(3)

Thank you dear freqflyer and Barb, but my Mom wasn´t in pain I think, she was just breathing very fast, I thought the meds would calm her down.They were not given for pain.
And my Mom wasn´t gasping for air, she had a rapid and noisy tachypnea and was never in a coma.
This is all why I feel she died in advance and it was my fault.
I also went to bed and left her with a girl who worked there, I left her full of hope because tomorrow was another day and we had agreed with the doctor and nurse to try and save her.So while I was walking away with that feeling, My Mom knew this was the end after me causing it!
(1)

7,5 mg morphine+5 mg sedatives ( in Sweden they are named Stesolide) and 30 min later she was given the same amount.
I didn´t know this then, the nurse said she was going to give her a small amount the sec time....For an opioid naive this is too much I have learnt.
(0)

15 mg of morphine in a 30 minute period? That does not kill.
(4)

Karin, My mom was on morphine after a wrist fracture and developed pneumonia. Her breathing was terrible. They gave her a syringe of liquid morphine and I asked for additional dose when she hadn't improved breathing about 10 minutes later. Mom had a horrible look on her face that I interpreted as pain. I couldn't figure out if it was physical or psychic.

I asked for a second dose, just like you did. To make my mom comfotable. Don't feel so unique in your panic at the time of your mothers death. Many, many of us want our parents to be comfortable. I didn't think of comfort as being something evil. Why do you?
(7)

Thank you, Barb.I appreciate your answers so much.
You seem to have a clear understanding of what your Mom went through, maybe I don’t have that.
I thought I was helping her, as in to continue living, and as it turned out to be the oppsite I was in a state of shock.
Today I am so sorry I wasn’t there and that I couldn’t accept what was happening.
(0)

KarinBe, in order for morphine to kill someone, the dosage would need to be 200 mg at once. And no doctor or nurse would ever allow that massive dosage. Morphine is regulated and every mg has to accounted in inventory.

You did the right thing asking for more morphine which would have been between 5mg and 15mg depending on the pain. No one wants to see their love one in such pain. So, unless you got your hands on 200mg of morphine, which would have been impossible to do, you didn't advance your Mom's passing. No way, no how.

I have a feeling that you are hurt that you weren't there when your Mom passed, correct? A lot depends on the parent... my Mom passed when I was in the room with her right after viewing her all time favorite movie at 3 in the morning.

On the other hand, my Dad waited a couple hours after I had left the building as he knew having me see him pass would greatly upset me. And he was right.

The hospital said my Dad's passing would be within days, so then I got Dad back to his Assisted Living room and Hospice was brought in. Dad passed a couple days later, he would have with or without Hospice, but I have comfort knowing his passing was very peaceful.

I highly recommend talk therapy with a therapist who deals with passing of love ones. Chances are that therapist would be saying the same as what Barb and I have said, but at least you would have a third opinion.

Thank you for sharing your experience.
(3)

Thank you so much, freqflyer.
I have read that sometimes a double dose is enough to ”kill” a weak and dying patient.
My mom got this double dose.
First 7,5 mg morphine+5 mg sedatives and about 30 min the same amount.
I think this caused her to stop breathing.
You are right I feel very bad for leaving her bedside, but most of all I feel terrible for letting the nurse give her that second injection despite that I saw tgat Mom tried to signal no.
She knew she wouldn’t make it if she got it.
I have been seing a therapist and I will do it again.
This guilt is making me feel just terrible.
Thanks a lot for sharing your stories.Hugs
(1)

my dad died of a combination of dementia and bladder cancer. hospice came in on september 20, 2017. my dad died august 26, 2017. heres what i'm getting at so please bear with me. up until 3 days before my father died, he was talking, walking, eating and sort of doing fairly good considering. 3 days before he died, hospice starting giving my father seroquil and morphine because he was getting up at night and wandering around. i expressed my concerns about giving an dementia patient seroquil, and that the fda warns against it and has a black box warning about it. as soon as he took the seroquil, that was the end of him! he couldnt talk, wouldnt eat, had tropuble breathing, chocking, and barely responsive! i knew they were killing him early! before i had a chjance to try to stop the meds he was gone! 3 days later!!! i expressed my concerns to his hospice nurse and he replied with,"look how bad tylenol is!!" what the crap??? i couldn't believe that was his only response except that he said they give it to them all the time! something keeps saying to me,"dont let this go" and i can't! nobody can tell me that seroquil didnt speed up his death tremendously!!!!!
(2)

also i would really like to hear from anyone that had a simular experience!
(2)

I’m so sorry for your loss, Wolfgang.I don’t know what Seroquil is.Is it some kind of sedatives?
(0)

KarinBe, you wrote that your Mom didn't want the second dosage because she knew what would happen. Your Mom probably didn't want the second dosage because it would make her sleepy, nothing more. Oh please understand it would take 200mg to make a person pass early. A double dosage of a regular prescription would not do that.

Try to let your mind switch over to the fact that you were making your Mom comfortable on her final days. Mom would have passed the same day with or without the meds given by Hospice. You can be comfortable knowing your Mom had a very peaceful death with no pain.
(1)

Wolf, I am so sorry for your recent loss. When person is on their final journey, it is not unusual for that person to "rally", thus become chatty, happy, want to eat, etc. a day or two [sometimes weeks] prior to passing.

From what I have read [I am not a doctor] seroquil looks like a positive drug, it can decrease hallucinations and improve a patient's concentration.... it can help a patient to think more clearly, feel less nervous. This is a common used drug for dementia. My Mom was on seroquil when she was in long term care, as she was trying to climb out of her bed forgetting she could no longer walk or stand. It was months before her organs were starting to shut down and Hospice was called in, and then weeks before she passed.

As for Morphine, it is used to help with pain. I was given morphine for pain control after having several surgeries plus when I broke my arm.

Just now I saw the warning about giving seroquil to patients who have dementia when I searched on-line.... but that warning was for patients who have dementia related "psychosis" and are already on an antipsycophantic drug.

You can still contact the Hospice Group that was used and asked to talk to someone about the medicine, the pro and cons to get a better understanding about the uses. Keep the conversation on calm terms. This isn't Hospice's first rodeo, they have been on thousands, but it was your first rodeo thus there is so much to learn.
(0)

also i would really like to hear from anyone that had a simular experience!
(0)

dont think anyone is really picking up what i'm laying down. my dad wasn't "rallying" anything! he was eating, walking, talking and most of the time pretty lucid for someone with dementia and bladder cancer up until the very day they first gave him seroquil and 3 days latter he passed! after he took the seroquil, that was the last time he spoke, ate, walked and everyhing. that day he started choking, was breathing laborusly, couldnt communicate or anything. i've done my research on this and believe me, there is thousands that experienced the same things! fda even states that it could cause sudden death in older dementia patients and not to give it to them but the nursing homes and hospice do anyway to make their jobs eaiser and the sad thing is alot of them admit it!
(0)

Read the black box warnings of any medication and you will see the same warning about administering it to the elderly and dementia patients. My mom was on Seroquel for 4-5 years, it certainly did not kill her. She had Alzheimer's and had been on hospice for eight months when she passed on June 1. Seroquel is an antipsychotic.

Wolf, I am so sorry for your loss.
(1)

Rosie, your story sounds the exact same as mine. My mother was in the hospital, combative one day, she wanted a glass of water & all the nurse would let her have was a wet sponge swab. This made her mad, she was thirsty & I should say first she was very sick & going downhill over the course of 2 years. This day though she was determined to have water & she told the nurse she was ready to speak to someone about hospice care. I was in shock, and tried talking her out of it. She told me she was tired & had had enough of the poking, prodding & being in pain. She said I did everything right & that I was all she could ask for in a daughter & told me this was not my fault. We spoke with someone from Hospice who assured me she didn't have to stay in Hospice if she changed her mind they could begin her procedures again. They told her she could have anything she wanted to eat or drink which of course thrilled her at that moment. She asked me to please sign the papers & I said will you please promise me we'll talk about this once you are moved because of course I still wanted her to be better. She agreed, I signed the papers & they got her ready to move to the Hospice unit. They moved her & I went along till we got to the room & they asked me to let them get her settled in bed and I needed to call my Husband and tell him what was happening. After the call I headed back to her room & when I got in there she was completely out of it. I waited all day for her to wake up, she seemed like she may come to a few times when I tried talking to her or shaking her to wake her up but, she never did come to. This went on for a week, I asked the Dr to bring her out from under the medication, that I wasn't comfortable with this. They told me too that she was on a very low dosage & if they brought her out her pain would be pretty bad because she wasn't under the care she was previously under. After my mom passed & to this day which is now the beginning of the 3rd year now I feel so guilty, we never got that chance to talk about her decision. It hits me hard during the holidays because she passed a couple of days before Thanksgiving that year. I guess the guilt doesn't hit as often as it did but, when it hits, it hits hard. I will always wonder if I did the right thing and unfortunately I will never know. I can only hope I did...
(1)

KarinB, Kelly & wolf; your stories trouble me as you all feel that your parents passed away more quickly due to what you feel was overmedicating by hospice staff.

My mom died while in hospice. I too kept a vigil at her bedside.

My mom didn’t pass away because of hospice. My mother passed away because she had a stroke (her second in 3 weeks). I knew clinically that she was dying.

Our loved ones are in hospice because they have a disease that was going to take their life sooner, not later. There was absolutely nothing that I could have done to change that fact.

In situations like this, we have no control over the flow of events. We can’t predict when someone will die, just that they are on the path.

I would have done anything to have stopped my mother’s demise. Just to let you know, during those final 4 hours prior to her leaving me, the hospice nurse came in and assessed my mother didn’t need any additional medications at that time. I say this to try to help you to realize that hospice staff will not use additional medications if they don’t feel it is warranted.

Yes we trust strangers (hospice staff) to help assist our loved ones pass gently. I understand how vulnerable we are under those circumstances. But we don’t know physiologically what the dying person’s status is. In reality the death of our loved ones is not caused by that dose of morphine, seraquel or whatever, it’s caused by the terminal condition that qualified them for hospice which is having a disease they will not recover from within 6 months among other factors.

Please find a way to work through your guilt. I’ll admit I did feel somewhat guilty but only for a short time as I knew my mother would have not had it any other way. She was 89, all her sisters were gone, my dad too, and she was tired.

I knew after her first stroke 6 weeks prior that it wasn’t looking hopeful. Watching her not be able to communicate, develop the beginnings of pressure ulcers on her heals, etc was horrible.
Thus when the second occurred it was time to let her go.

I don’t think any of you hastened your mother’s death by what you did or did not do in those final days. Nothing. Neither do I feel actions of hospice staff did as well. It was our loved one’s time to leave. 

I hope it gets better for you because life is for the living. Your parents wouldn’t want you to be sad or guilty and let those feelings consume your life. Please try to let it go and live your life in honor of your parent.
(6)

Thank you so much, Shane.
My Mom wasn’t in hospice.She died in the nursing home she had been living in for the last 15 years.
The nurse who gave my Mom the 2 injections was a nurse who wasn’t working at the home full time, she just worked during some nights per week.
This leads me to believe she wasn’ capable to make the right decision about the morphine.
Yes, I know my Mom was going to die anyway, I just know that she would have lived more days without the meds.
She was totally awake and alert.
The nurse should have told me that there was no way we could ”change” my Mom’s rapid breathing, this breathing was just a normal phase in the dying process and nothing that had to be corrected.
(1)

I feel hospice and my dad's caregiver over medicated my dad till he died.3 days before he died he was eating and talking.he was only on half the syringe full of morphine.tben the last 2 days they increased it to full syringe every 4 hrs. He tried to push caregivers hand away with meds.she forced it.until he was like in a coma.he died on christmas.
(2)

Hospice and my dad's caregiver overdoses my dad on morphine. 3 days before he died he was talking and eating. She gave him.morphine even when he was passed out. Till he died.
(1)

thank you mary00!! you know what i'm saying! these other people on here that start rattling off things they dont know about and try to more or less tell us we are full of it dont need to be on here! their situation is not our situation. not everyones death is rushed by hospice or nursing homes but some are and its a known fact! dont know where all these bleeding hearts for hospice and nursing homes get their know it all knowdledge at but their situation is not ours!
(1)

A person will pass on the same time table whether they used Hospice or not.

As for morphine overdosing, it would take one dose of 200mg for that to happen. It would be impossible for anyone to get their hands on such a huge amount. Hospice uses between 5mg and 15mg to make a patient comfortable.
(4)

aint nobody talking about morphine!!!! see??? you all dont evben know what your answering!!!!! i vsaid seroquil!!!! vgo read the warnings on seroquil from the fda!!! you know, the part that says it could cause sudden death in physcotic dementia patients! they wont approve it! then go back to the first and read what i said at the first about how things went and how fast to my fathers death! you people just pull crap out of the air and make it sound any way you want! you all must be hospice workers or nursing home workers one or the othewr!! I'M DONE WITH YOU! GOOD BYE!!!
(2)

Frequent flyer..what you say is not true..and I cannot believe you would make such a broad statement..especially since conditions and situations vary..especially when you throw Lorazepam into the mixture..and other drugs..and these meds knock out a person..causing dehydration..lack of appetite..coma..confusion..cascading effect..etc..a person who is aware...and without pain..or with minimal,pain who may have weeks or months of precious life left...and perhaps with a chance to regain their life..if they are not elderly..should not be drugged into a comatose death...and then say ..it would make no difference in their time line ..time table..for life...and FYI ..some crazy lady in Texas managed to get her young son into hospice..saying he was terminal...and according to protocol..he would have been drugged to death ...when he wasn't even sick...a hospital finally figured out nothing was wrong..and reported her..through investigation..they managed to get him out of hospice and back with his father..and if had stayed in hospice..perfectly healthy..but drugged to death..you would say he died according to his appropriate time line?.!! Not all situations..conditions..are the same...but you..without compassion fail,to acknowledge this...hospice can be good..is good..but in some cases...it is a disaster for a person..just depends on the place..people..condition...and situation..
(0)

Lok, I realize some people feel that Hospice hasten death, and in those cases usually was because the family waited until almost zero hour to bring in Hospice. Thus the body was already in shutting down. Yes, there are exceptions as with anything in life.

There are patients who "graduate" from Hospice, and continue to live productive lives. That was the case of that 13 year old boy from Texas, who's mother was starving him to death [she was charged with attempted murder], which resulted in the child having a life-threatening blood infection. Thankfully he pulled through. Note that not everyone passes away in Hospice.
(3)

My dad passed away in Hospice this past week from Parkinson's. He was diagnosed 10 years ago, and at 84, he experienced all the horror that Parkinson's with Dementia brings. In his last 6 weeks, he suffered the worst hallucinations/delusions possible. He believed he had been beaten, raped, held at gun point, the staff had been shot, other residents were bleeding, and there was blood everywhere, and it was EVERY day. Nothing gave him relief until the very end -- was it the morphine? I don't know, but for the last few days of his life, he seemed to be at peace, and I am grateful for whatever gave him that before he left us.
(6)

Freqflyer is doing damage control for the hospice industry. We are well aware of this practice to counter truthful information.
(0)

Prolife you are doing damage control to your own beliefs by constantly posting to this site about hospice and murder.
(4)

My mthr who declined chemo for her cancer was discharged from Hospice last August after about 2.5 years. She was no longer declining fast enough to remain on hospice care. Here we are 5 montha later and she can no longer walk and has a lot of pain. Looks like she can go back on service and get some relief- the visiting doc does not like to give pain meds with her anti anxiety drugs. Hospice can do that because the pt has been shown to be close to death. There is not a need to look at the long term, 6 mos or more, effects of the pain meds on hospice. The end should be near.
(4)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter