Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Reading some of your answers made me happy for you, sad for me though. You are all are so lucky to have a mom with a sense of humor, someone who laughs and kids around and has a sense of humor. My mother never did and I can't remember her ever letting herself fully enjoy anything with abandon. Now she is almost 100 and sadly she has spent most of it being uptight. The only time I can remember her laughing hard is over 30 years ago. My daughters and I went with my mother to Disney World. My oldest daughter, about 12, shared a bed with her in the motel. Mom farted and my daughter started groaning "oh Nan!" and my mother laughed and laughed!
(3)

Mom and I went to the grocery store, yesterday. She usually has no energy when we're done but, yesterday, instead of going to wait for me on the bench in front, stayed with me at the self checkout to help me bag and such.

I got to the end of scanning and bagging and trying to pay, but the system is griping at me about something or another. I looked over and Mom was putting the bags in the cart and it apparently wasn't ready, so I explained it and put them back.

Went back to try to put in my credit card when the system started to gripe, again. Mom just couldn't wait and she was kind of inching one of the bags off.

We had the same discussion. I went back to put my credit card in and she started asking me, "Can I do it, now?" "Nope," I said, but she was inching it, again. It went back-and-forth with "Can I do it, now?" "Nope" and me reaching over to shove the bag back on the scale.

This went back-and-forth for a bit - good thing no-one was behind us.

Yesterday, I was getting somewhat impatient about it but, today, can laugh.
(4)

AmyGrace, since your mom doesn't do much laughing or have a sense of humor, there is a thread/discussion that you might find interesting.

https://www.agingcare.com/discussions/you-know-you-are-caregiver-if-163390.htm
(1)

As we go down the ramp this AM to the foot doctor she is moaning and groaning about how much agony her back is in and without missing a beat "and I also need to go get my hair done". Obviously not hurting that much but to hear her she is on death's door but gonna get her hair done.
(4)

"why am i going to see a neurologist tomorrow my brain dosnt need help". Oh dear she has no idea she is seeing a "shrink"?
(1)

Mom has problems with her memory. She was writing down which book she'd just read, a habit she's had for many years. Midway through taking her note, she stopped and grumped a bit about how it's probably pointless - that she'll probably forget all about this book, anyway.

My response, as a joke, was to point out that she should look on the bright side - if she totally loses her memory, she'll only never need the one book. She glared at me and and I told her that, if she thought hard about it, there could be other good benefits to total memory loss.

She then suddenly looked a bit smug and said, "You know, I think I have finally lost my memory, completely. I just don't remember having any ice cream, today," and we had actually just finished having ice cream.

Maybe it's a you-had-to-be-there moment, but it was kind of funny.
(8)

We're sitting here right now listening to Tune in radio on my laptop 40's radio.

Mom was telling me how she would waltz with her head on a fellows shoulder and she said "It's a wonder that we didn't get in more trouble, that he would get all worked up and not be able to go home"! HA I guess she means his parents won't let him in the house with a " woody"!!! Lol
(3)

A few years back, when my grandfathers were still alive, my mother made the comment to me after one of their visits, "One thing I will always be thankful for is that I'll never be an old man." Now that Dad is old and my parents live in a retirement home, whenever my mother gets down, I remind my mother of what she once said and we laugh until our stomachs ache and we cry.
(4)

My dad (with advanced Alzheimer's) just told me, "I think you're a little crazy. I just need to make a little drill into the side of your head to release pressure and I think that will help a bit."
(5)

LOL. Thanks for the laughs. It's good to be able to come into this thread to get or share a chuckle!
(3)

I set the MLB (major league baseball) game on my mother's computer everyday in her room for her and I watch it on my TV in my room. One day she came to my door and asked me to get the game back on her screen...it goes out once in a while. She noticed I was watching on my TV. She sat down on the side of my bed and said "Oh, you have a nice big screen and I can see all the players." I came back into my room after resetting the ball game on her computer. She said, "Will you buy me a nice big TV like yours or you can just give me yours?!" Ah...no you can not have my TV. She said "Then I will just have to watch TV in your room and bug you to death."

Since then she has asked me everyday if she can have my nice big TV...then she laughs so hard it hurt her stomach.
(7)

Shilo get your mum a huge tv bigger than yours! Gosh i dont have a tv in my room but the thoughts of her popping in to watch my tv would be the end.
(3)

Kazzaa - 5 yrs ago I bought her a 19" TV then my 29" TV broke. She wanted the TV in her room. I watched shows on my computer for the next 2 yrs and when I was able to buy a TV I put it in my room. It has been in my room for over a year now. I think she is just saying something because she likes to watch the ball players...the nice young good looking ball players!
Your idea is a good one and I will have to remember that when I save up the money to buy her a big TV.
(0)

Shilo mum went to bed 15mins ago! am just settling down for the night to watch "the green mile" as never seen it and i hear footsteps on the stairs YEP shes coming down again this is when i start to get BP sometimes i want to scream "get back up to bed NOW". I actually have palpatations now all day and just no "sanctuary" i think i may start to build my own cabin as im about to crack. Maybe i should get a tv in my room then what? a cooker,a fridge?
(5)

lol kazzaa - I have a mini fridge/freezer in my closet. My mom gets up during the night and pulls out food and leaves it sitting out so it spoils (lets just say I would not eat it). I know what you mean though. I put a lock on my door if she ever starts her wandering and opening doors. So far she hasn't started that.
(1)

Shilo are you ex military?? thats a strategic plan if ever i heard one. Oh yeh mum starts wandering and i am moving up into the attic with a ladder that pulls up with a rope! Guess i should start buying in the "essentials" tv,fridge,cooker,panic button for me in case someone forgets im up there!! oh its just not funny but we have to look at it this way or we will go "mad" OR maybe we really are not that funny and everyone on here is already "mad". Can you imagine your "normal friends" reading these posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they would wonder who is it that has dementia?
(0)

Well, my mom is not getting a tv in her room..... she's already talking crap to the tv in the living room!
(2)

Wait until she starts shouting at the birds to shut up singing!! yep everyone is "UGLY" on tv or fat or stupid or whatever dont know why she bothers!!
(0)

Thank you all for the laughs! Just to let you know if the tv wasn't in her room then it would be in the living room which in next to my room. My mum would be closer to my room more often and probably in my room more often which is exactly why I have no problem with the tv being in her room. I have absolutely no problem what-so-ever with her having the tv in her room as far away from my room as it could be.
(1)

I was just clearing out mother's magazines and on a fortnight-old copy of "The Week" the banner headline is "DID QATAR BUY THE CUP? The Corruption Scandal Engulfing FIFA." Then I spotted, scribbled in ballpoint pen underneath:

"& do we care if they did?"

Hee. She's still in there somewhere, then.
(7)

The 3 funniest things my mom with AZ has said that I remember are, one day I explained to her that she has been married for 68 years and has five children I am the youngest. She looked at me in total disbelief and said"no I never bothered with any of that stuff!" One day when I was picking her up at Daycare she looked at the director and said "we gotta go get a man and I dont want one!' and lastly I cut her hair super short like a crew cut and she looked int he mirror and said " I look like a boyfriend"
(7)

Willow - lol! - and yet there you are, somehow… How on earth did that happen?! :)
(2)

Mom explaining to me the difference between independent living and Nursing homes. She said, you DONT want to go there, you don't come out.
(5)

it's my husband - we were at an outdoor wedding, music playing before the nuptials & he had to blow his nose, he looked at me first to see if it was appropriate or not to blow loud or soft, he said, I can blow my nose & fart at the same time, with the music that loud no one will hear me (he's 83 ALZ)
(8)

The former in law called a squirrel a sea gull.
(5)

he says to me, "I'm deaf, I cant hear, I'm blind, I cant see, I'm crippled and cant walk" (93 years old and uses walking cane) I tell him were going to town and he tells me, "I'm driving!"
(9)

me: Mom, I'm going to the store be back soon.
mom: Do you want me to go with you and help the good careliver?....
Didn't know you were a liver dish did you?....
You will never live that one down. ...
liver lover (not)

She meant to say caregiver. I hope she forgets the liver lover part.
(3)

"YOUR FIRED GET OUT!" A day later, checking in, "WHERE THE H*LL HAVE YOU BEEN?!"... ( two doors over...) LOL go figure?, HUH??? Gotta Love?... Bless You and yours always with lots of hugs, health, wealth and just pure JOY!...
(3)

It wasn't what she said but that she started trying to talk with a bad southern accent while I was making BBQ chicken for dinner!
(3)

"Did you bring your talking machine with you?" (my cell phone... lol )
(6)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter