Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Megwin, actually most seniors don’t keep their cellphone glued to their hip. Which is why these devices come in handy. If your phone isn’t on you when you fall, it’s useless.
(2)

I find them offensive, and sometimes silly. Women simulating falls have perfectly coifed hair, dressed to be photographed, etc. They're so unrealistic.

Something more realistic would show someone who's fallen while in PJs, or in the bathtub, or painfully sprawled on the floor or on a set of stairs. But that would make potential purchasers cringe.

I do think the devices are invaluable though, cellphone age notwithstanding. A senior in need should have something with immediate and rapid response; he/she shouldn't have to turn on the phone, wait for it to load, then go through even a quick menu to call for help.

I never keep mine on or with me as I use it only rarely; it's in a case in my purse, except when I garden, just in case I tangle with an aggressive tree.

In addition, the providers of the alerts can also provide the often necessary service of notifying first responders and family, while someone laying on the floor in pain doesn't always have that presence of mind.
(2)

At least they don't show the one that much where the lady is at the bottom of the basement steps.

Besides, they show the various Colonel Penn commercials pretty often, knowing Alex is a compensated endorser.

Luminess Silk commercial is even worse
(1)

When we had mom here we had to call in monthly to 'test' the system. It seemed like it took forever for them to answer. I would hate for it to be an emergency situation!
(0)

Yes, the one with the woman falling down the stairs bothers me.

But it bothers me more that other people think this the woman is "whiney" or criticize her appearance. If you live alone with help out of reach, fall and cannot get up, you can easily feel as desperate as this woman sounds. I have been there.
Don't for a minute assume that everyone, especially a senior who may not be too comfortable with electronics, has their "phone" with them at all times! Mine is usually out of reach when I am at home. I don't carry it 24/7. And don't assume that getting up from a fall is a simple matter (it is for most people when younger, but not always for seniors). If one has had both knees replaced, it may be excruciatingly painful to even try. If the fall has resulted in an injury, e.g. a hip fracture, it may be impossible.
I now live in an independent living apartment but have a wrist (can also be a pendent) button to summon help from facility caregivers. I used it several times until I had spine surgery that mostly eliminated all falls. However, it is still reassuring to have it handy.

I am skeptical about some of these devices that can be used outside of a facility. Nice if you have family. But I do not. Certainly don't want to bother good friends, especially at night, who have better things to do than to look after me. Are there devices that just call the local fire department or some similar service?
(1)

I hate the Fleet enema commercials, showing the elderly people dancing around. Really? Dancing because you get to have an enema? Really?
(3)

Yes, I absolutely hate this commercial and that they play on people's fears this way.! I push the mute button when this comes on, or better yet just switch to another channel for a minute or so.
(2)

YOUR cell phone may be near you all the time, but dont assume this is true for less than tech savvy seniors. Most dont remember to carry their phone everywhere in their home 24/7. What about 3 AM bathroom trips? And if, god forbid, you are ever break a hip, are alone, in pain, out of touch and unable to get off the floor..."whiney" doesnt begin to describe what you will be.
(0)

Dosmo, yes, there is (at least one) device that will call first responders, but it does first connect with the company that maintains the service.   The unit I got for my father and will probably get for myself is a small pendant, with some type of vertical sensor.    Dad kept it in his pocket.   If Dad bent over, it activated and the company called him to determine if he was in trouble.

If he didn't answer, it called me, and then first responders if I couldn't be reached.   The 3 people to be called can vary; it could be arranged with the company to call first responders before anyone else.

What we also did was have a friend attach a lockbox in the house studs next to the front door.   I provided the combination to first responders so they could get in since I was a 45+ minute drive away.   

I felt it was valuable and reliable.   More than once Dad received a call while I was there; he was just bending over putting on his shoes or picking up something from the floor.

We arranged for that service through a company which made its name providing household burglary and monitoring services.   Although local to Michigan, it has expanded into other areas.  

I don't recall if it activated outside of Dad's house, i.e., in the yard, but it did activate when he was the VA once.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter