Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Glad, I agree with you totally. I've been here long enough to see what 24/7 caregiving does to others. Because I see it, I do my best to find time for ME.

It scares me that I've been doing full time work (one boss is sooooo much like dad that they couldn't keep employees- until I came along 21 years ago) (one boss who backstabs) and then go home to do my shift. With Emphasis on very few off island vacations. I do my best to go to the doctor when my health is compromised. I at least go to the dentist once a year and cringe at paying $225.00 self pay.

Fave niece also commented last week, several times, that my allergies are upping (what I wasn't allergic to - I now am). She was surprised that I ate the coconut stew because I'm lactose intolerant. After I ate it, she told me to take the Benadryl. I said no because I'm not allergic to coconut... That night, I broke out in hives. Is it the coconut or is it the milk? I found a small paper journal to write my daily activities and meals.

Oh oh.. while typing here, I smell poop... I sure hope he didn't...
(2)

Book, I believe you can be allergic to caregiving. I also believe stress can cause many medical problems, including allergies. You know what I think. Give yourself a break.
(2)

Too bad I'm not allergic to caregiving. Let's not be greedy. I'm willing to settle with being allergic to pamper and poop. Good excuse to find someone to do it.
(2)

Is it okay if I talk about myself now? I will admit to feeling awkward now. I will keep it short. My body has changed. Must be added stress and going overboard, crying cause I thought niece was going to die. Starting last week, I broke out with large areas of rashes on my upper legs, tiny rashes on my upper arms. Ate coconut stew with ribs. A few days later, I finished eating ice cream with Oreo cookies in it (oldest sis' ). Rashes again last night when I finished it.... 2 days ago, the palms became itchy and red while changing dad's pamper. Continued to be itchy after removing gloves and washing hands..... This morning, my hands, all over, were soooo itchy. After changing dad's pamper, both hands, were super red and very itchy- the whole hands. I immediately washed it and put on Benedryl cream. I ate ice cream last night, had rashes but not as before....

I just finished eating dinner, same food I always eat... OMG! My eyes are swelling. Slight pain on the left eye. Both were, are very very itchy. I need to download an app to keep track of my activity, meals to find where my allergies are coming from.

No news about the baby because... there's no news.
(2)

Jlm, will you be accompanying your mom to make sure she's safely settled. Please make sure. Cross your t's and dot your i's. While there, see if you can set her up with the senior citizen center.

Glad, I'm soooo happy that granddaughter's fine. Serious, yes. But still fine. I'm really, really glad she's fine. ... Great that DIL is doing fine, too. My dad was always against epidermal. He said it's never good to mess with the spinal cord. You don't know the consequences of sticking things into it. It will come back to bite you.
(2)

Granson has a mild case...i got a crash course. Glad she's doing well.
(3)

Jessie, only brimstone preaching I heard is in TV shows. I can see your mom believing it.

CM, Green would scare me. After going through mom's dementia violent stage, I'm just plain scared of old people and odd people. He must truly believed on those protein wisdom.

Onedoor, it's okay. My sibs and I can disagree loudly but we would never admit we were wrong. Because I'm right, and sibs are wrong. =). Thanks for having my back.

Pam and Barb, thanks. Niece is fine. In lots of pain. She's been pushing herself to sit up and walk because when she goes home, she will be by herself. We're all giving her tips... teacher niece about after C-section stuff, mine on after hyster surgery... one tip I emphasized is pillows, lots of pillows... remind her parents to bring 3 pillows when picking her up from the hospital. One pillow to sit on, one behind her back and one between her stomach and seatbelt. I warned her that even with these pillows, every bump and holes will be very painful. That I was still driving with a pillow on my tummy 1 month later.
(3)

Barb, thanks for PDA, that is exactly right! So much I heard was completely new to me.
(1)

Pda is patent ( aka open) ductus arteriosus. The ductus arteriosus is a hole in the aorta which normally closes at birth, allowing the blood to circulate to the lungs for oxygenation.
(3)

Book, meant, that's GREAT! NOT question mark.
(1)

Glad, im so glad the operation was a success!!

Book, baby is over 2 lbs? That's great? Hoping for the best.

Jlm, hope that it works out for your mom.
(3)

I am so thankful! The surgeons took out the part of the aorta that did not open the way it should. It is supposed to be about the diameter of a drinking straw, it was about the diameter of a paper clip. It causes great differences in blood pressure between the upper and lower parts of the body, about 30 points in this case. They sealed the PDA, whatever that is, I think a small hole in the heart. The docs said that it could have been much worse. There is still an issue with the three arteries that enter the heart, two of them are fused together, that is something that they will need to keep an eye on with regular pediatric cardiologist visits for a number of years.
DIL had some problems with the epidural, and leaking spinal fluid, which is why they kept her and the baby in the hospital Friday night. Then when getting ready to discharge they discovered the heart murmur, so we are very fortunate, things happen for a reason. They found the heart issue very quickly, had they been discharged it could have been a much different scenario.
I had not seen her yet. After the post op my son asked me if I wanted to. WHAT, are you kidding?! She looked good, good color, BP where it should be. And she is absolutely beautiful, even with all the tubes etc she is connected to. She was resting well, a combo of anesthesia and pain meds that they will monitor closely. They anticipate disconnecting her tomorrow. Then a 3-5 day stay which they say may be more or may be less. That's why they call it practicing medicine, I guess. So much depends on......
(7)

Update:
After my 92 yo mom being moved here from Fla to Lexington, and 3 full months of pounding me to move back alone, i have decided to get this person out of my life.
Sending her back to her condo, and be rid of this mean, nasty person who has destroyed my serenity. I wish i could say i was stronger, buy i have given up, and will grant her request, to essentially go and deteriorate all by herself.
Very sad, but i cannot take being driven daily like this.
She lived alone for 25 years, and thinks i talked her into moving her in a weak moment for her.
Cost me $7K to move her furniture, i moved here into a really nice place here.
I know lots of folks on forum can relate to alot of this stuff, but i reached my limit today, and have raised the white flag.

Thanks for listening....
(4)

Hopeing all the babies are doing well!!
(3)

Well now I feel just awful. Countless times I passed this poor man, and it turns out I wasn't paying the slightest bit of attention to what he was trying to tell us all...

Stanley Owen Green (22 February 1915 – 4 December 1993), known as the Protein Man, was a human billboard who became a well-known figure in central London in the latter half of the 20th century.[2]

Green patrolled Oxford Street in the West End for 25 years, from 1968 until 1993, with a placard recommending "protein wisdom", a low-protein diet that he said would dampen the libido and make people kinder. His 14-page pamphlet, Eight Passion Proteins with Care, sold 87,000 copies over 20 years.[1]

Green's campaign to suppress desire, as one commentator called it, was not always popular, but he became one of London's much-loved eccentrics. The Sunday Times interviewed him in 1985, and his "less passion from less protein" slogan was used by the fashion house Red or Dead.[3]

When he died at the age of 78, the Daily Telegraph, Guardian and Times published his obituary, and the Museum of London added his pamphlets and placards to their collection. In 2006 his biography was included in the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography.[2]

Good ol' Wikipedia, I knew they'd know :) I'm sure he did have one sign that banged on about the end of the world, though.
(2)

There used to be a very famous sandwich board man on Oxford Street, in the West End of London, who roamed up and down this street packed with shoppers bearing a placard that said 'the end of the world is nigh.' He was there for years and years and years... I will Google and see what happened to him.
(2)

Book, the TV wasn't on. She does watch religious channels a lot. Some of the preachers on it love talking about the end times. She loves hearing about them, too. There's something fascinating about the end of the world. Each generation of Christians is sure that it's going to happen soon.
(4)

Texriner1- I am sorry you had such a pitiful childhood into adulthood. But that does not give you the right to comment in a judgeful way on what Book does! I have only seen bits and pieces of this thread lately but I think you DO owe Book an apology! You should be happy for her that she has found a way to make room for herself - not ridicule her!
(1)

Jessie, was the tv on? Dad thought it was war outside and panicked. I heard the tv and it was on an action movie with gunshots. I immediately turned the channel. Dad was here during the Japanese occupation. He witnessed beheading and people shot to death... I dread New Years. The fireworks bother him the most, scares him.
(3)

Mom was talking about the end of the world by fire today. I told her that we would probably die before the end of the world happened. She said she wouldn't be so sure. So I thought a moment and said, "You mean if you have to die, you want to take the rest of the world with you?" (chuckle)

I have wondered if old people get fixed on the end of the world because their own worlds are coming to an end.
(3)

Thanks, guys. ...Mickey D's coffee? I regretted buying their hot coffee. It was waaaaay too strong for me. I ordered their ice coffee plain, still so sweet... I woke up early. Sleep is calling. I'm going back to sleep. Later.
(2)

Hoping for best possible outcomes for Glad's new granddaughter and Book's niece and tiny baby boy, and both of your families. You're both on my mind today. (((hugs)))
(3)

Sending prayers for your niece and her baby boy and for you too, Book!
(2)

Oh, and I know that Book loves her Mickey D's coffee!
(0)

Good morning Book! Hope all is well with niece and baby and you too of course. Time for me to get up. Off to the hospital in a bit.
(3)

You guys are incorrigible! I like my hot coffee and iced coffee plain, nothing fancy. Sis and nieces would let me try their ice coffees but I found it too sweet for my taste.

The past 2 ultrasounds said it was a girl. Surprise! It's a boy. I don't know much because nothing is being said until niece sees the doctor. Baby is 36cm, 1.190ml, on oxygen (she thinks, since she hasn't seen the baby yet.) That was fave sis update. I texted back - what about ur daughter? She's doing fine.

I was going to leave work on time but our system provider was late and arrived at 5:30pm, our closing time. She spent 1 hr with us showing us how to use the new reservation system. She assigned me to watch some video lessons but I'm just tooo tired to sit and watch and maintain the info.

I left the office at 630pm. It was very dark. My eyes were hurting from trying to see through the dark. I arrived at the hospital. Guard said only 2 visitors at a time, and niece has 2 visitors. I was really exhausted, grumpy and hungry. I texted sis to let daughter know that I tried to visit. I'm going home.

Felt bad. Hours later, niece messaged me that she wanted to see me. I was behind with my dinner, changing dad's pamper, etc.. I'm really tired. Going to try to sleep early - not past 1:00am. Anyway, the room is...no my body is swaying as I'm typing. So, I'm going to cut it short. I just need to answer a question someone asked me in the hospice page....oops, page is blurring...
(3)

57Twin, My mom has lived in 3 facilites over the last 6 years and it seems the majority of the men in these places have issues about being locked in...I dont know if it is because in their generation, they were the "breadwinners" and everyone in the family followed their lead...(at least in my community that was the norm) anyway, I have often wondered that they folks that were the most independent in their lives are the ones that have the hardest time.
My experience with using the facility doc have been that they do not know your parent's history like their primary care doc did...you really have to fill them in - even things that you now take for granted, they need to know. I had an experience that I wont go into now where the doc assumed something about my mom and told my estranged sisters very wrong information.
(2)

Yes it is. Also, not in coffee.
(2)

Jameson's in coffee is delcious.
(3)

Amaretto or baileys Irish cream
(5)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter