Follow
Read More
freqflyer

In the movie "The Wedding Planner" someone used the phase "Is there's a problem in the room", and since then my best friend and I will use that whenever there is a situation, such as a boss who is being unreasonable, only we understand, and start giggling.
(2)

GardenArtist

Great topic!

Unfortunately, chocolate tops the list for immediate gratification and redirection of thoughts, but it generally results in a headache later.

Best of all therapy though is getting out in the yard and gardening, or even just puttering around. Years ago a little rabbit became so friendly it accepted whole wheat bread from my hand. Then one day it moseyed up to my foot and just took a nap! The contact and connection with this furry little creature was just so soothing.

Once a butterfly landed on my hand. It was an amazing experience.

Music is of course high on the list. Reading, whether garden magazines or favorite author's novels is right up there.

Garden crafting, needlework (embroidery and quilting) are also favorite activities, as are cooking and kitchen puttering. Especially enjoyable is just impromptu activity - making something special - hearty soups in the winter, fresh veggie salad combinations in the summer.

Sometimes just a glass or cup of heated cider is enough to rechannel thoughts.

Sending cards to family and friends is a nice way to start the day. Just looking through beautiful cards is relaxing, writing the message helps the "reach out and touch" need, and the envelopes after decoration with lovely address labels, coordinating theme stamps to the extent possible, and other colorful stamps are nice just to view and indulge in some real enjoyment of the blend of colors and objects.

I usually choose a theme especially for the person. A relative who also loves military planes get a card with a Purple Heart or similar postage stamp, VFW or other military charity address label, with plenty of either stamps or glued on cut-outs of our favorite planes. It's not quite as exhilarating as going to an air show, but it creates that same sense of excitement.

Rubber stamps used to be a favorite for decorating envelopes. I had two of a charming Victorian cottage, in the summer and in the winter. For summer correspondence, I used rubber stamps and various colored ink pads of flowers; for winter I used reindeer, snowflakes and sleighs. Sometimes the envelopes were so pretty I didn't want to send them!

This is a little off the chosen topic, but I'm speaking also to those things that give me pleasure and induce relaxation.

I'm anxious to see where this post goes, thinking it will around and around as we each share and stray a little bit from the original questions.
(0)

PhoenixDaughter

Watching the birds as they feed their chicks
My very old clock that I managed to fix
Having a clean tidy room that I like to be in
These are a few of my favourite things

Tightly made beds with crisp ironed sheets
A week that goes by without people to meet
Watching the swans as they glide silently away
This is a favourite of mine every day

Mulling over albums with pictures of Dad
Remembering all the fun times he and I had
Laughing and giggling and speaking pig latin
While mum scowled and snarled in her blouses of satin

When she kicks off
When she starts to scoff
When I'm feeling blue
I'll simply remember that this is a phase
And then talk to all of you

Because you really are my life line xxx thank you

(10)
(0)

I'm really lucky to have a friend that works at a popcorn place here in town.She gives me a discount on whichever kind I want and she gives me huge trashbags full of old popcorn to give to my birds,she calls "chat".
My favorite kind is caramel,but even the plain is delicious.It's all good~
(2)

LL, you can substitute powdered sugar for the brown sugar and use a bit more salt and have the best ever fresh kettle corn.

I used to buy it until I discovered that it is made with corn syrup and I try to avoid that as much as possible. I worry about anything corn nowadays.

Let us know how you enjoy the caramel corn.
(1)

Smeshque and isthisreal: Now I want some of the yummy caramel popcorn! I use this Kettle Corn Company in the next county over from mine. It's only like $10 for a 2.5 gallon bucket. I just sent some before my friend had lost her 4 year old disabled child to her.
(2)

Isthisreal- Thank you, I will definitely try that out and I will let you know. Maybe Saturday I can make some. :)
(2)

I use 1/4 cup oil, 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon Celtic sea salt and 1/4 popcorn.

5 quart pot with a steam vent.

Add oil and start on medium heat, I cook with gas. Once the oil gets hot, usually within 3 minutes add sugar and salt and stir, add popcorn and shake the pan, pretty continuously. This will pop within 3 to 5 minutes depending on how fresh the corn is.

Keep the pot moving and dump after it stops popping or the sugar burns.

Let me know how you enjoy it.
(3)

Isthisreal- I will definitely try that. Roughly how much brown sugar would you add to the oil? If that works for me that would be so much easier. I like that.
(2)

smeshque, yummmmmmmie, caramel popcorn.

I make a cheaters caramel corn with brown sugar in my oil and then pop the corn in it. So much easier and almost as delicious. Just like making kettle corn, just brown sugar instead of powdered sugar.
(2)

Send, the thread says anonymous 281963 how do you start a thread under a different name?
(1)

New car smell, caramel popcorn( which is why I do not make it much :), and when everyone is asleep for the night.
(2)

Of course there are other beliefs, other religions, and even believing in nothing can be a religion.
We never hear from anyone else what they believe, except in the context of hating christians. I am sincerely interested in hearing what others believe.
But not hate towards any christians or any religions, or any peoples. No hate!
And, please take your discussions to another thread/discussion, as the topic of this one is MY FAVORITE THINGS. I designed it that way. This thread is my thread, this thread is your thread, this thread is made for you and me. There is a sense of a hostessing responsibility when someone starts a thread, either a discussion, or a question. Don't make me come back here when I am busy, please. I love you. We all have a good track record of positive comments on this thread.

And as anyone can see, us caregivers are a loyal bunch, sticking together on this forum for years. We don't bail just because of a disagreement. If any troll or hater tries to cause division among us, some of us will track you down and expose your lies.

Thanks Gershun for your comments, as well as everyone else. My hubs says others will take offense if I don't name them. NOT.

CWillie,
You are loved and respected, one of our favorite members. Always.
(3)

I'll admit I can be judgmental and short tempered - I know I've made posts I later regret - but I don't think I've ever gone out of my way to be mean to anyone, if I have I apologize.

As for my previous comment on religion - I don't care about the occasional religious reference, but when they have nothing to do with dealing with caregiving and they show up in multiples it begins to sound like proselytizing I think it crosses the line. And nobody can deny there are a couple of threads devoted to christianity where those who are like minded can sing praises to your hearts content.
(7)

One of my favorite things is my bathtub! I have love bubble baths since I was a little girl. Soaking in a bubble bath is like a warm hug 😊
(3)

"No Try, Do or no do" Yoda in Star Wars

"Make it so. Captain" Picard in Star Trek The Next Generation.

My Tae Kwan Do belts and Samurai swords

My power lifting trophies

My library

My Man Cave
(4)

C Willie, I take offense at the "you have your own threads" As far as I can tell from posting on this forum for a number of years now, most threads somehow end up branching off into all sorts of different topics than what the original OP asked. So those of us who love God are supposed to stay within some invisible margins that no one told us about?

If the what's for dinner thread can branch off into talk of what have you or the whine thread or the Dysfunction thread, etc. then I guess every thread is fair game right? Or am I wrong?

I've always let people say what they want within reason on any thread so what's good for the goose as they say.

I say this to you Willie with much respect.
(3)

Seriously! I am shocked that you would be so critical because regular posters are posting honest answers on a thread that specifically asks what are your favorite things.

I know that I was not made welcome when I first came here and you were one that went out of your way to ensure that I didn't feel welcome. So be careful accusing others of the very thing that you do.
(4)

Well, I'm a Christian and as a Christian have just as much right to talk about God as a football lover has to talk about football or a gardener has to talk about gardening, etc. etc. In fact I hate football but if you want to discuss it on here or any other thread who am I to stop you. Same goes with God. You might hate God but I have every right to talk about him as much as I want. So does Send or anyone else on here. So if it bothers you that much turn to another thread where they talk about things you do agree with but be forewarned, this is a free country and someone might possibly bring up another topic you don't care for on that thread. That's called living in a free society in case you haven't figured that out yet.
(5)

Hey, Sanchez:  I'm not a Christian, but I see no need to criticize it, or any religion or its practitioners.  

You need to analyze why you're fixated on this issue.  

I think you need to find something to do that's helpful to people; there's a tremendous reward in that, and in being generous and helping people (and animals in need).

Think about what you can productively do with the time you're spending on being critical and offensive.
(7)

BO SANCHEZ 415:
FULLTANK by Bo Sanchez 415: Why were you born? Why do you exist?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voc_Rn5OPBY
(0)

Sanchez may be a troll but s/he's not wrong about the inappropriateness of so much christian fervour on AgingCare, this site should feel welcoming to people from all faiths. Come on you guys, you have your own threads.
(7)

Warm mornings breezes filled up with bird song.

Knowing Jesus, my Savior and Lord!

Trusting that Jesus will see me safely through today.
(3)

I have a lot of favorite things, including when posters recognize a troll for what it is, and call its bluff.    Those kind of people need mental help.   To me, they reflect aberrant personalities, inability to get along with people, and obsessive focus on themselves and their need to manipulate.

On a more positive note, today is one of those quiet peaceful days, with only an occasional rain drop breaking that silence.  The snow has been melting, revealing more of the precious earth that supports us, in so many ways.    Little black squirrels are scampering around, perhaps either finding more space to hide their precious acorns, or retrieving them for today's meals.

The temperatures hover around freezing, creating tiny icy crystals of some of the raindrops which sparkle like diamonds and remind us of how much beauty exists in this season.

Today is a good day to wrap up in a quilt and read a gardening magazine or a good book.  I'll do both, accompanied by a cup of hot chocolate, or coffee if I'm not too lazy to make a pot.

And so, good Saturday morning to all (except trolls).
(9)

Send - thanks for the heads up. I just skipped reading the 2 comments from that poster. Saved me some time.
(3)

Thank you for your negative take on the thread MY FAVORITE THINGS,
Sanchez, aka Mckimball, aka Salutem.

Not your favorite god, I guess.
(4)

Let's keep this going! Great Sendhelp and smeshque. Without HIM, we can do nothing.
(2)

Jesus, our Lord and Savior!
(3)

Jesus, Our Lord and Savior!
(5)

Jesus, our Lord and Saviour.
(4)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter