Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Me too! Couldn't bear my usual daily route with no dog, but the silver lining was that it did make me drag my bike out from under its dust sheets.

I am not the girl I was, but I have rediscovered my quadriceps - they're the achy bits just above my knees.

I have a proper sit-up bike with a bell and a basket, like Dorothy's nemesis. I might even get myself a pointy hat to go with it.
(2)

There is an ongoing debate about bicyclists sharing the roads, in many towns. The bicyclists are pro-active, and are not always the victims of being run off the roads. Angry, yes.
Entitled, yes.
Some are not.
One is my very favorite person.
(1)

I would now like to apologize to any and all Vancouverites for my brother's new cycling addiction.

He was always an angry, holier-than-thou prat like that. Nothing to do with the cycling.
(3)

Send, we have some serious bikers here in Vancouver. They are always very skinny and angry looking. That's probably why building bike lanes here in the city has become such a big topic on the news. Hell, I think there are more bike lanes than regular streets here now.

Our present mayor is retiring after this term. Probably getting too many threats from angry spandex-clad Lance Armstrong wannabes! :)
(2)

Lol Gershun.
I enjoyed that way too much. Guess I do kinda want to poke fun.
Spandex clad Lance Armstrong wannabes, lol lol.
(1)

cwillie, as a fellow Canadian you are probably familiar with Stanley Park here in Vancouver. Occasionally Hubs and I would bike around the seawall until we realized that these spandex clad bikers liked to whip around the seawall like their lives depended on it yelling loudly "TO YOUR LEFT!!" If you didn't move out of their way on time you might be on your way to St Paul's hospital before you knew what hit you.

I don't know why these Lance Armstrong wannabes can't just leave the seawall to us weekend bikers and stay on the shoulder of the highways or something.
(2)

I hear you Cwillie. Take a quirky dresser with aspergers, add spandex, and what have you got? I have got pictures. Ones that I take so he can be found when lost.
Has anyone ever been asked, when your dH comes up m i s s i n g :
W h a t. w a s. h e. w e a r i n g ? Answer: indescribable, here is a photo.

This is not to be making fun of him.
(3)

There was a bike club somewhere near where I used to live, I jokingly called all those spandex clad people on the roads "professional bikers" (as opposed to the amateur ones like me who do well to make it the mile across town and back).
(2)

Do you have a bike-riding club in town, Cwillie?
Hubs is safely riding 50 miles now, with 15-30+ bicycle enthusiasts on a regular basis. He wears an outfit, just like in the Tour de France. It is amazing to see that many bikes stream by, as if they are in sync. There is a yearly Amgen tour coming through our town, quite an event to watch.
In dh's club, they ride at all levels of skill, and wait up for others to catch up.
At the end, they socialize, go for coffee.
Quite a sport, he loves it. His balance is better, arthritis is improved.
It can get expensive, just like other sports, like golf.

The other day, he was making an appointment at the bike shop to get measured for a "bike fit", costing $80. To fund this, he was going to return the bike tires we recently bought (he needs them).

O v e r. m y. d e a d. b o d y .
(0)

OK, so I really love my bike. Some of you may remember that last year I discovered that you really can forget how to ride a bike but I persevered and now I'm riding almost every day, I've even become brave enough to tackle riding on the (quiet) streets in my town. I gave up running because the pain wasn't worth it but I can get that same feeling of the wind in my hair on my bike, and mom's NH is just a 5 minute ride away.
(4)

Singing:
When the dog bites, when the bee stings, when I?m feeling blue....
I simply remember my favorite things
And then I don't feel so bad.
(2)

Everything is still there for us to read Luckylu, you just can't comment anymore. If you look through the Popular Discussions topics you will notice some that are obviously not used anymore (one started by Captain is "Failures and accomplishments today"), go to one of them and check it out.
(1)

Thanks for explaining cwillie and Send.I understand.
Do you think we will be able to look at the archives though if we want to?
(1)

Well said CWillie. I was often mistakenly duped into posting an answer on a thread as far back as 2012! It was embarrassing. Then, I always checked.

Luckylu, does that better explain the why?
(1)

Many of us commented on people tacking new comments at the end of threads that hadn't had a comment for months or years and asked that they be archived. In some cases the issue had been resolved or the people involved had died or moved on so new comments were not welcome, in other cases newbies would tack on a question that wasn't seen by anyone but the few who checked to see why an old thread had been revived. Even some popular topics tend to fade away over time, it often makes more sense to start a new thread than to revive an old one.
(1)

Well, I could be wrong Lu, but in response to complaints about older threads popping up long after the question was answered, and new posters starting to post answers there, the forum moderators I believe announced that threads older than 90 days WITHOUT A COMMENT would be archived.

Since I don't know the real reason, I am just speculating in order to answer you.
As "old timers", we can post on all our favorite threads to keep them active, imo.

Maybe the ACCM has suggestions to get some beloved threads/questions back to active. There are some grief threads that are excellent, that people would not ordinarily be posting on, but maybe only once after the loss of a loved one. The history from those who have gone before you is invaluable imo and can help a new poster grieve.

There may be a difference between a question or a discussion, but I cannot fathom if there is a difference just yet.

Take heart Lu, the moderators are on our side because they too want to help our elderly and their caregivers. Almost e v e r y o n e. has a Mom.

As a member caregiver and not a moderator, I suggest we post the title of our favorite lost threads right here, on MY FAVORITE THINGS, making the moderator's jobs easier if they decide to reinstate some archived threads.

An example would be:
"LOVE NOTES FROM CARGIVERS WHO HAVE LOST A LOVED ONE".
(0)

Why Send? This is such a wonderful thread to just sit and read and list some favorite things when you want to.
Why will it just be archived after 180 days I wonder...?
(1)

This is one of my favorite threads.
I think the threads will be archived after 180 days without a post or comment.
(1)

The Viking loves apricots

Such a short season but I got her couple at the store as farmers market didn't have any
(1)

It's the lil' old lady from Pasadena
(1)

So, in my mind, I start singing: " This is the sound, of summer."
Humming only, not finding the words. Then hum it for dH. He knows songs!

The lyrics are below-not exactly the sounds of summer, now are they? Lol.

"The Sound Of Silence"

Hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again
Because a vision softly creeping
Left its seeds while I was sleeping
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of silence

In restless dreams I walked alone
Narrow streets of cobblestone
'Neath the halo of a streetlamp
I turned my collar to the cold and damp
When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

And in the naked light I saw
Ten thousand people, maybe more
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share
No one dare
Disturb the sound of silence

"Fools" said I, "You do not know
Silence like a cancer grows
Hear my words that I might teach you
Take my arms that I might reach you"
But my words like silent raindrops fell
And echoed in the wells of silence

And the people bowed and prayed
To the neon god they made
And the sign flashed out its warning
In the words that it was forming
And the sign said "The words of the prophets
Are written on the subway walls
And tenement halls
And whispered in the sounds of silence.

Simon & Garfunkel version. 1964
(2)

What are the "sounds of summer?"
A Google search pops up the Beach Boys songs....
Surfer Girl
California Girl
Surfin Safari
Little Deuce Coupe
I get around
Fun Fun Fun
Wouldn't it be nice
(0)

Shared 5 years ago by Jessebelle
Cranky Old Man.....
What do you see nurses? . . .. . .What do you see?
What are you thinking .. . when you're looking at me?
A cranky old man, . . . . . .not very wise,
Uncertain of habit .. . . . . . . .. with faraway eyes?
Who dribbles his food .. . ... . . and makes no reply.
When you say in a loud voice . .'I do wish you'd try!'
Who seems not to notice . . .the things that you do.
And forever is losing . . . . . .. . . A sock or shoe?
Who, resisting or not . . . ... lets you do as you will,
With bathing and feeding . . . .The long day to fill?
Is that what you're thinking?. .Is that what you see?
Then open your eyes, nurse .you're not looking at me.
I'll tell you who I am . . . . .. As I sit here so still,
As I do at your bidding, .. . . . as I eat at your will.
I'm a small child of Ten . .with a father and mother,
Brothers and sisters .. . . .. . who love one another
A young boy of Sixteen . . . .. with wings on his feet
Dreaming that soon now . . .. . . a lover he'll meet.
A groom soon at Twenty . . . ..my heart gives a leap.
Remembering, the vows .. .. .that I promised to keep.
At Twenty-Five, now . . . . .I have young of my own.
Who need me to guide . . . And a secure happy home.
A man of Thirty . .. . . . . My young now grown fast,
Bound to each other . . .. With ties that should last.
At Forty, my young sons .. .have grown and are gone,
But my woman is beside me . . to see I don't mourn.
At Fifty, once more, .. ...Babies play 'round my knee,
Again, we know children . . . . My loved one and me.
Dark days are upon me . . . . My wife is now dead.
I look at the future ... . . . . I shudder with dread.
For my young are all rearing .. . . young of their own.
And I think of the years . . . And the love that I've known.
I'm now an old man . . . . . . .. and nature is cruel.
It's jest to make old age . . . . . . . look like a fool.
The body, it crumbles .. .. . grace and vigour, depart.
There is now a stone . . . where I once had a heart.
But inside this old carcass . A young man still dwells,
And now and again . . . . . my battered heart swells
I remember the joys . . . . .. . I remember the pain.
And I'm loving and living . . . . . . . life over again.
I think of the years, all too few . . .. gone too fast.
And accept the stark fact . . . that nothing can last.
So open your eyes, people .. . . . .. . . open and see.
Not a cranky old man .
Look closer . . . . see .. .. . .. .... . ME!!
(1)

Ribbit, ribbit, ribbit.
(0)

Crickets? Pshaw, I always know Fall is rapidly approaching when the crickets begin to chirp.
(1)

Today would have been my dad's 82 birthday. My daughter brought my grand babies over to my mother's house where I am caregiving 24/7 with cupcakes (CHOCOLATE-- prob on all of our lists)....

Got a really GOOD BOOK on my ereader I'd been waiting for ( mom went in early tonight without a nap)

My other and mostest favorite thing --- my 4 yo granddaughter asked me to come back home with them after our fun afternoon at great grandma's house...my daughter explained to her ( again) that Mimi is staying with great grandma until she gets better....she put her hand to my cheek and said " Grandma is lucky you're here ... you always make boo boos feel better"...

My favorite things chocolate... love of family ... a really good book !!!

Good topic !!!!!
(4)

The first day of Summer.
People used to say (Farmer's Almanac) that it is not summer until the first cricket sings.
I haven't seen any cricketers.
(1)

A lovely old yet very sturdy and comfortable patio chair I got at an estate sale a few weeks ago for $25, which is perfect in a far corner of our backyard by some trees and bushes. It is a wonderful place to bird watch, enjoy the greenery and watch the clouds go by. Can't believe I haven't set something similar up sooner. And my dad's monitor even works out there! So next time he has a long nap I can relax outside and enjoy fresh air and sunshine while keeping an ear out. (And I've been sneaking out there at other times as well.)
(6)

Good glass of un-sweet iced tea
The smell of a freshly mowed lawn, and mowing it
The sounds of happy baby chickens
A beautiful sunset
Most of all my time in Gods word
(1)

My new favorite things:

** The peaceful yet productive feeling I get when I do my affirmations every morning.
** Iced coffee when it's 90 degrees outside
** Finding out I can clear my oxidized headlights with toothpaste (Ha!!)
** Positive thinking and The Secret (or the Law of Attraction) at work in my life.

:-)
(6)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter