Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
gladimhere, those ice cream bars sound delicious. One of my favorites is very similar is raspberry ice cream dipped in dark chocolate! And another favorite flavor ice cream is lemon!
(1)

Haagen Daz pomegranate ice cream dipped in dark chocolate. Mmm! Found at wally world, haven't seen them since Xmas 2015.
(2)

Dear Sendhelp and Gershun,

Thank you for the poem and joke. I needed that tonight. I'm still tearful tonight, so I needed this thread to cheer me up.

I think my contribution for favorite things is a simple chocolate sundae with peanuts from Dairy Queen. Its one of my favorites. And reading or watching a good romantic comedy.
(1)

I love that poem Send! It is one of my favorites.

It reminds me of that joke about the man stranded on a desert island. He prays to the Lord for help. A little time goes by and then:

Along comes a big yacht. He turns it away and says thats okay. My Lord will help me.
Then along comes a helicopter. Same thing, No, my Lord will provide.
This scenario happens a few times. Finally, in anguish, the man cries, Lord, you said you would help me. Where are you, my Lord?
All of a sudden he hears this big booming voice. "What do you mean? I sent a yacht, and a helicopter etc. etc. "
(3)

A Poem to carry you through the difficult times..
One night I dreamed a dream.
As I was walking along the beach with my Lord.
Across the dark sky flashed scenes from my life.
For each scene, I noticed two sets of footprints in the sand,
One belonging to me and one to my Lord.

After the last scene of my life flashed before me,
I looked back at the footprints in the sand.
I noticed that at many times along the path of my life,
especially at the very lowest and saddest times,
there was only one set of footprints.

This really troubled me, so I asked the Lord about it.
"Lord, you said once I decided to follow you,
You'd walk with me all the way.
But I noticed that during the saddest and most troublesome times of my life,
there was only one set of footprints.
I don't understand why, when I needed You the most, You would leave me."

He whispered, "My precious child, I love you and will never leave you
Never, ever, during your trials and testings.
When you saw only one set of footprints,
It was then that I carried you."
(4)

I remember this movie:
Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood

I think I enjoyed it.
(1)

Yes, "Who's Line Is It Anyway?" was hosted in the US by Drew Carey - it was spinoff of a UK version of the same show, but I think the US version was better.

Want a laugh that will keep you going for a while? Look up the episode with Richard Simmons. I almost fall off my chair laughing at that one every time I see it - and I've watched it SO many times. It's good for what ails you.
(1)

Gund Bears are great - I got one for mom's roomie and it talks - says I love you baby
Roomie loved it and lit up when she saw her teddy
(1)

I remember that show, I hope. Was it hosted by Drew Carey? I'm glad it gave you a good laugh. Tonight I'm searching for a teddy bear for my baby niece. I love the Gund bears, so hopefully I can find the right one for her.
(1)

Remember the improv show Whose Line Is It Anyway? I just got done watching some funny segments on youtube. ROFL, I had forgotten how funny they all were!!
(3)

Thank you Sendhelp for that beautiful poem by Kipling.

Being tearful about my dad tonight. I wanted to contribute something positive. Some of my favorite things is a good book! Good chocolate! And good friends. I think I will go and visit my favorite French bakery this weekend.
(2)

I didn't get my annual prune paczki. T_T
(1)

The pancake thing goes back to the concept of fasting during Lent. In days before refrigeration, all perishable foods would be used up in a day of gluttony (ie Fat Tuesday) so that they would not be wasted because there was no way to store them without spoiling. So milk, eggs, meat, butter - things like that would all be used up in whatever dish was possible on that day to avoid the waste of food and to avoid breaking the Lenten fast. So things like cakes, pancakes, donuts (Paczki) would be made in large batches to use up those items.
(3)

If You are a caregiver!
If
by Rudyard Kipling

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too:
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or, being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise;

If you can dream- -and not make dreams your master;
If you can think- -and not make thoughts your aim,
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same:.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build'em up with worn-out tools;

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings,
And never breathe a word about your loss:
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on! '

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings- -nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much:
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And- -which is more- -you'll be a Man, my son!
Rudyard Kipling

You are a caregiver, my friend!
A man or a woman
(3)

Spent Fat Tuesday evening at the hotel California watching hello dolly and eating cream puffs - mom had a chocolate all over her face
(4)

Yes, I have to agree those pancakes sound delicious! And nothing like real maple syrup to pour over them. I might have to make some this weekend.
(0)

cwillie,Our church served pancakes,sausage and bacon but your pancakes sound ALOT tastier...Banana and chocolate....Yum!!!
(1)

I have never understood why people traditionally eat pancakes on the day before Lent begins. I mean, there is nothing terribly indulgent about pancakes, even if you eat a huge stack drenched in butter and syrup it really doesn't rate that high on the scale of sinful excess, and the simple ingredients wouldn't likely clear the pantry of foods that someone would have to put aside for their Lenten fast.
And of course I made pancakes tonight. Banana ones with chocolate ganache. Oh, yeah, now that was indulgent!
(2)

Luckylu, it was great and healthy!! Now I want ice cream tonight some chocolate therapy : ). 
(1)

SharynMMarie...Your blueberry slush sounds great! I Love slushes!
(3)

Oh, ok. I watched the video of the ordeal at Oscars, but still wasn't clear on what happened. Then I read an account of what the problem was and... Beatty seems sharp as a tack in light him having opened the wrong envelope. He realized it was a problem as soon as he read it. He shouldn't have been reading someone's name. That would be for a Best Actxxx category.

I don't know if he has any memory issues or declining health. I thought I read something a few years back, but celebrity tabloids love to create a rumor, anyway, so who knows.

I get it now -- why the mix up. Funny!
(0)

Much as I love her, I have to say I blame Ms Dunaway for this omnishambles. If she hadn't been so quick to "figure it out" for Warren Beatty when he was puzzled by the card, the two of them could have asked everyone to wait a second while they checked with the organisers.

I'm with you though CW - nothing brings a grin to my face quicker than a huge, public fiasco (with no bodily injuries).
(1)

Doesn't Beatty have dementia...? For some reason I thought Annette Bening (wife) was caring for him and he had onset with Alz/dementia. Hm.
(0)

Gershun, you are too funny. I cannot believe that actually happened. I could see Warren Beatty was puzzled, but to just show the card to Faye Dunaway and let her make the announcement! I guess it was live TV and he wasn't sure what to do I that moment. It was surreal. I just couldn't believe that happened. In all these years no one gets the wrong card! But they somehow did. I guess it made the 2017 Oscars memorable.
(2)

I have a new favorite thing. Watching Faye Dunaway and Warren Beatty announce the wrong winner on the Oscars. LOL, LOL, LOL
(3)

I have not had creme brûlée either, always wanted to though. I picked up an anti oxide today drink called Bai with brasilia blueberries. I love to partially freeze these drinks so the are icy and slushy, yum!
(0)

Thank you Sendhelp. I appreciate this positive thread. Makes me smile. A bit of a tough day. Visited my dad at the cemetery. Then visited my granny at the nursing home. Reason I needed the crème brule to comfort myself. I think I will watch a bit of the Oscars tonight! I look forward to reading more of everyone's favorite things. I for one appreciate all of you - kind people will always be one of my favorite things. Hugs to everyone.
(3)

That's right cwillie....we gotta get eat up ALL our good stuff.
(2)

All of this crème brûlée talk is making me envious, and hungry. I think I'll go into the freezer to see what I can find, we're supposed to clear all that sinfully good stuff out of the house by Wednesday anyway, right?
(4)

Sharyn, That day sounds just wonderful!
Hope your day is good too, CDNReader and Luckylu!
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter