Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Sharyn, Wow, son saved a whole lot of wrapping paper that year!

What did you do, or say after that?
(2)

One of my favorite Christmas memories of my children was when our son was 4-1/2 Years old and our daughter was born one month before Christmas. Hubs and I went Christmas shopping when our daughter was 2 weeks old. We left our son with the my hubs parents. We were gone about 2 hours and everything we bought we left in the trunk of my car until I could wrap it.

The next day I woke up at 6:30 am, it was still dark and rainy. I walk into the kitchen, there is our son....he is dressed in one of the new outfits we bought the day before........I ran to the kitchen window, my trunk is open. I run outside and sure enough, ....everything we bought was gone. The car keys were hanging in the lick on the trunk....to high for our son to close. I went back in the house walked to our sons room. Under his hex were all the things we bought. The toys were removed from the boxes, clothes were stuffed under the bed.
(2)

They're the bits when he switches suddenly to French, Jingle. Quite a time of it he had, young Samuel. The BBC did a radio dramatisation of the diaries which brought them to life entertainingly but without completely ruining the language, you can probably download them if you feel like it.
(2)

kellse: Do you mean Samuel Pepys? I didn't know there were any dirty bits. Must have read it in high school or something ... ;=)
(1)

OOOH ,I just got a late birthday gift. A set Pepys - I think its the edition with all the dirty bits left in lol
(0)

micalost - YUM!
(2)

Favorite thing: this time of year is the one time I treat myself to Panettone Italian christmas bread
(2)

I bought a pair of leggings that I also wear to bed. They are the favored brand bu all the young women...I only bought because dd hosted a party. I do remember the leggings of my youth with stirrups and little black ankle boots with black fays fur.

I am enjoying watching the 4 new movies on Netflics of Gilmore Girls.
(2)

My memory of leggings is great, because I am wearing them to bed tonight!

Except, these don't have stirrup straps on the foot.
(4)

Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Guide us to that perfect light.

A beautiful rendition....
(3)

Sarah and the bare naked ladies do the most amazing version of God Rest ye Merry Gentlemen - it has become my favorite Xmas tune
(1)

Anyone remember wearing leggings to school?

SendMe, interesting... I've been thinking about how much we enjoyed ice skating when we were growing up. Last week I passed by the Rolladium, an indoor rollr skating rink that's been remodeled recently - brought back such memories. I could remember the sound or organ music that played as we skated round and round the rink.
(2)

Send, Sarah McLaughlin does a good version of that song too. It always makes me a little melancholy but strangely happy at the same time.
(2)

River
by Joni Mitchell
It's coming on Christmas
They're cutting down trees
They're putting up reindeer
And singing songs of joy and peace
Oh I wish I had a river
I could skate away on
But it don't snow here
It stays pretty green
I'm going to make a lot of money
Then I'm going to quit this crazy scene
I wish I had a river
I could skate away on
I wish I had a river so long
I would teach my feet to fly
Oh I wish I had a river
I could skate away on
(2)

It's coming on Christmas,
and I wish I had a river to skate away on.
(2)

Despite all my moaning and groaning about Thanksgiving, I love pumpkin pie! LOVE.

Just made the filling in a giant Pyrex measuring cup that was my mother's. One of the few valuable (to me) things I salvaged from her impossible hoard.

RIP, mom. Just like you, I can pass on storebought and (most) bakery sweets.....but get of my way if it's homemade! I'll have a 2nd piece of pumpkin pie for you.
(9)

Suppose to be astronauts ^
(1)

Of my gosh!!! I would wear shorts under my dress! Lol!!! We were allowed to wear pants to school in7th grade. I was such a tomboy and I have never looked backed to wearing a dress unless I absolutely have to such as a family wedding! LOL!! I wad a latch key kid, came home after school to my parents at work. I did my homework, some chores.

We stayed out until 10 pm in the neighborhood block with the other kids during summer. When you heard your parent yell your name, you came home. I remember when astronaunts landed on the moon, it was in June, I think, in our I bicentennial, we laid on the lawn with binoculars looking at the mo
on to see if we could see the astronaunts, lol!! There a day when an earthquake was predicted and California would drop off in the ocean, we all hung out with neighbors who had boats!!!!
(1)

OMG, not being allowed to wear pants, we're going back to the dark ages now! Girls used to wear pants under their skirts/dresses when the weather was freezing and take them off once we got to school. One day a girl pulled off her pants and oops! she had forgotten her skirt so she had to keep her pants on. Clever girl. Seems to me we all started to wear pants shortly after that.
(2)

Sharyn....We played Hide N Seek in the neighborhood all the time growing up and we had ALOT of kids too in our neighborhood THEN but not now and I really Loved the Music room and singing all those silly songs and sometimes we even got to play the triangle.I really loved playing kickball with the boys at recess but back then,we weren't allowed to wear pants to school,so I had to bring pants to put under my dress at recess.Finally,in 6th grade,we could wear pants.Do you remember Kulots?and Gouchos?And making clothes for trolls?
(1)

Yes MsMasdge too!! Candy necklaces oh my!!! Yes I remember playing 7-upsuch innocent times thumbs up on rainy days. I loved the music period....the teacher played piano and we learned folk songs like the boll weevil in the cotton fields and seasonal songs, thanksgiving and Christmas. Such innocent times, playing hide n seek with the neighbor kids. At one time we had about 35 kids on our block which was amazing for a small rural town back then with a population of about 8,500. My bike was my transportation, it was also a horse when younger, lol!!!
(1)

You,and I AND MsMadge woulda made the Best team!I remember the TV being brought in for the astronauts too and other big history making stuff it seems and staying in on rainy days at recess and playing 7-upThumbs Up and Board games too.Do you remember getting Weekly Readers and being able to order books at school?I Loved that but I sure didn't Love having to eat my lunch on the stage in Front of everyone because a group of us got in trouble for shooting peas at lunchtime.That was SO embarrassing!
Did you ever have a teacher read to you from a certain book?I Loved it when my 4th grade teacher read to us from "Little House On The Prairie" after lunch and we'd have to lay our heads on our desk....
(3)

luckylu, thanks for bringing such good memories. Plain milk ws 3 cents and chocolate was 5 cents. Favorite sandwich was baloney and mayo on Wonderbread. Favorite lunch to buy was pizza made with English muffins, tomato sauce and a slice of American cheese. A quarter spent at the little family corner store near my grandparents got me a whole little bag of candies...Bit o Honey and Tootsie rolls, candy buttons on paper and candy necklaces.
(4)

Lucky, we would have made a great pair on the blacktop with the tether balls, LOL!!
(1)

Lu
I loved tether ball
I remember having a tv brought into the classroom to watch the astronauts launch into space
You clearly were deprived not allowed to walk or ride your bike to school - we got to go over a freeway overpass

I only got to buy lunch on special days like Salisbury steak day

On rainy days we sat inside and played thumbs up 7 up
(2)

SharynMMarie....I would have loved playing with you as a child and I loved tetherball too and I always loved the cherry fruit pies from Hostess.And I also remember when it was an honor being milk monitor too.Do you remember when milk was 3 cents?
And GardenArtist...you really brought up more good memories.Oh,How I hated those awful gymsuits(1 piece) ours were navy on the bottom and striped blue on top,and I wouldn't change my clothes in front of the other girls and changed in the toilet and got marked off points because of it every year.And I remember that Sinclair gas station had dinasour soap and there was a toy in the middle of it and I remember getting Ethel in my '69 T Bird on the side of the gas station.Do you remember when we only had a choice to take Home ec. or Shop class?And driving simulators?So many memories of way back when...Thanks everyone.
Sorry MsMadge,You were the one who talked about it being an honor to be milk monitor.Do you (or anyone) remember hamburger gravy or dream cookies the cafeteria served at school?And my Mom wouldn't let me Bring lunch so I didn't have a lunchbox.I always had to "Buy".And even though we lived close to school,I was never allowed to walk or ride my bike to school.:( :)
(4)

Haah!! I was a hall monitor in 5th grade for 1st and 2nd graders while they ate their lunch. I walked the hall checking on the kids of about 4 classrooms. Can you imagine that!!! Not in today's schools could a 5th grader monitor 4 classrooms for 30 minutes. Lol!! Great memories!!
(2)

As I recall we left those metallic lunch boxes outside along the wall so we could grab them heading out to lunch !

I remember it being an honor to be the milk monitor in the 3rd grade

My favorite was the Helm's bakery man who drove a yellow delivery wagon around town and sold pastries - applesauce cake was great and on Fridays I was allowed a jelly donut around the same time as the air raid sirens would go off - remember those signs for fallout shelters ?
(2)

I'm not missing the squeaky floors and stairs in my parent's old house, they made it very hard to sneak in at 4 or 5 in the morning ;)

I had an ugly plain blue plastic lunchbox with tape on the corner from the time I threw it at my brother, the kind with the thermos in the lid (nope, never got a replacement). And I never heard of anybody getting sick from their unrefrigerated school lunches either SharynMM.
(4)

Squeaky wooden floors in Woolworth's and Kresge's, in my g'mother's house, and now in my daughter's home -- I love them.
(5)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter