Follow
Read More
Yes good old Gregg Shorthand. I took 3 years of it in HS to get certified at 120wpm. Never used it on any office job I had, dicaphone was replacing it except for the legal field.
(0)

GA, oh the metal lunch box featured popular cartoons or Tv shows!!! I often wondered as I git older about spoilage since our lunches were kept at room temperature. I would have a sandwich, tuna, bologna, ham,etc. All had Mayo involved, and soup in my thermos. Remember the fruit pies??? Where the made by hostess or some other company, I always had the chocolate cream or hostess ho-ho's, lol!!! I loved tether ball, 4-square, monkey bars!!
(1)

BlackHole, I remember those old shorthand books - we used them to record court hearings. I remember also learning how to position my left hand so that I could flip them in a second or so w/o losing momentum as the hearing was taking place. Even a few seconds could put a court reporter behind, and it was often hard to catch up.

LuckyLu, we too used to read the comic pages together. I remember sitting next to Dad as we read them on Sunday morning. I had forgotten all about those times until reading your post. It really brought back memories.

Sharyn, I had also forgotten about cokes sitting in buckets of chilled water.

Anyone remember changing into those one piece gym suits we had to wear for gym activities? We barely had time to get out of them though and change back into school clothes.

When I was in grade school, either once a week or once a month (so long ago I don't remember) we had treats: ice cream in little cups, eaten with a small wooden spoon. It was accompanied by a hot dog and potato chips. Thinking back, it was certainly an unhealthy meal.

But it was a treat as we otherwise had to bring lunches from home every day. Which reminds me....what kind of lunch box did you carry? I remember holding my little lunch box as I walked to school. I wonder now how we managed to do w/o refrigeration - must have had sandwiches that didn't need to be refrigerated.

Remember the horses at Texaco (?) gas stations? There's one in a small community far west of me. It always reminds me of those old gas stations when "fill 'er up!" was the common request.

Susan and LuckyLu, I remember the old Woolworth and Kresge stores in the downtown area of one of the "big" cities back in the old days. I especially remember the card section, but primarily the Valentine assortment. For some reason the Valentine cards were very special.

I also remember the squeaky wooden floors.
(1)

Blackhole...I remember being able to charge things at certain stores and then they'd send the bill in the mail and it was no big deal...atleast to me.Mom and Dad ended up paying my tabs......Ahhh,the good ole days.
(1)

Had 2 of those old-fashioned stores in my hometown. They both had a bell that jingled when you opened the door.....and ancient wooden floors.

The smaller store was long and skinny. Had penny candy. Wax lips! Wax soda bottles filled with sugary liquid! Styrofoam-ish UFOs filled candy dots! And a pinball machine that was in constant use. Ping-ping-bling-bling.

The bigger store -- which was still small -- was an old-fashioned grocery. Literally a mom-and-pop operation. Some items were on high shelves behind the counter. "Pop" was up and down the sliding ladder all day. And you could run a tab!

Ahhhh. Ancient history. The skinny store closed in the 1970s. The little grocery limped into the early 1980s before it expired.
(4)

Susan, your description brings back memories of my favorite store in my home town. When I was small our little town of about 400 souls supported two general stores (one which also sold fabric and some clothing items), a bakery, butcher shop, furniture store, barber shop (where the men also could play pool), and a shoe store. Oh, I forgot the store with the frozen food locker. All gone now.
(3)

Luckylu - we still have one in our small town. It's called a "variety store" now, but it was always called the "five and dime" when I was little. We could go in there and get fresh, hot roasted peanuts, fresh popcorn, bulk Brach's candies from the glass-front bins at the counter and a rainbow of penny candy from the candy aisle. They're still open, and when you walk in, it's like stepping back in time, physically. The creaky old wooden floors are still there, and the smells of popcorn, chocolate, mixed with various cleaning supplies, stationary, yarn and fabric all mingle to take you back about 40 years. They still sell all the things I mentioned, plus things you can't find in any big box store these days - like nice ladies' handkerchiefs.

Sadly, the folks that own it want to retire next summer, and if they don't find someone to buy the store, it will close. :-(
(1)

Remember Dime Stores?Like Ben Franklin's and WoolWorth's?And the smell of popcorn when you walked in the door and the cotton candy machine and the esculators and mechanical,moving Christmas decorations in the windows?
And how about when you could take clothes home on "approval",try em' on at home and if they didn't fit you could bring them back.
(5)

Does Canada still have their recycling centers?
(0)

This should probably be on the Caregivers behaving badly thread, but it pertains to the Coca-Cola deposits on glass bottles that they used to charge, back when we were kids. Well my husband tells of when he was a kid (about 7 or 8), he and his little friends would distract the corner store owner, while tge other ones used to load up a wagon of empty (already recycled) Coke bottles from behind the store, anf take them back into the store for the recycling credit! Little thieves! Lol! Boy's behaving Badly!
(4)

Yes GA!!! remember the coca-cola refrigerated chest with water?? We reached in the cold water pulling out an ice cold coke??? What did they cost....25 cents with a .5 cent depoist when you returned the bottle back when we recycling was was in its its infancy. Great memories!!!
(2)

Sharyn, I haven't even seen wax lips for decades! I remember the peanut shaped candy confections, and vaguely remember other wax treats. Your comments brought back some real memories as I envisioned where we used to live, the corner stores, and even recall when we walked over to the store to get bread or a wax treat from the smaller store across the street.

I also remember the gold wrapped chocolate coins; they were a real favorite at Christmas.

That seems like a century ago!
(2)

lucky, your post brought back memories of the neighborhood mom and pop market. Every Saturday I would go with my .50 cent weekly allowance for chores (around age 6-8). I would buy my favorite milk chocolate Hershey eggs. Back then they were single and wrapped in a football designed foil for .1 cent each. Good ole penny candy. Wax lips, etc!!!
(3)

When I was a kid,one of my favorite things was being with my Dad.One of the best things we did was on Friday nights when Dad would take me to Git n Go and he'd buy me comic books and an Icee and $1.oo in penny candy and back then,it was a hundred pieces.Then go home,read the funnies and eat candy.I still enjoy my comic books today....and candy!
(1)

When I was a kid, I was fascinated with my mom's old Gregg shorthand books. Loved how they opened upwards. Loved all the squiggles and symbols. Tried to teach myself.....but not really....because I kept getting distracted by Shaun Cassidy, Charlie's Angels and such ;-)

Long into her life -- and long after shorthand had fallen out of favor -- mom would inject the occasional symbol into her to-do lists and such.

So pleased that this thread cracked open a long-dormant memory. Because I primarily rant and vent on this site, most folks probably think I had a lousy past with my mother. Not entirely true. As I was growing up, there were aspects of our family life that sucked sh*t. There were also good times. Including some preferences and traditions that I've carried into my adult life.

In fact, one day last year, I intended to start a thread titled "It Wasn't All Bad." And share some positive stories about my mom.....things I appreciate about her (that got lost in the fog of her decline and my stress). Came home from some errands that afternoon, and my landline had a string of missed calls/messages from the police, EMS and county coroner. You can guess the rest.
(5)

Book, one of my credit card has points that I can use as payment on Amazon, too. Just noticed it today! Pretty nice side benefit!
(2)

Hot chocolate and warm chocolate chip cookies.
(4)

Favorite things: first freeze of the season. The yards are covered in Mother Nature's frosting, lending a lovely, soft touch and compliment to the leaves rapidly departing from their lofty perches and moving to their winter home on the ground, or eventually as mulch.

It's time to treat myself - spend the day relaxing, cuddling up in warm throws or quilts, drinking hot chocolate or hot cider, and of course thinking about which rib-sticker stew to make today. Homemade bread would be a perfect accompaniment if I can muster up the energy.
(2)

MsMadge, I have to jump in here and talk about Gregg shorthand!

Early in my career when I became bored with secretarial work, I moved from law firms to the county and became a court reporter. At that time, ALL court reporters in that particular court used Gregg shorthand. After practicing and practicing, I qualified at 200 wpm, the requirement to be a court reporter.

Years later, my fingers still wiggle and move and take down conversations automatically. People might think I have a medical disorder, but the practice of recording became so ingrained that my right hand automatically starts "recording."

I probably couldn't tell you how to write specific characters - I'd have to watch to see what my fingers do as they have better patterning memory than my brain! It's a good thing I can hide my right hand sometimes so it doesn't begin jumping around recording social conversations.
(4)

Amazon gift cards from my credit card points. I just discovered today that the credit card I use for paying my car gas has reward points that I can use on Amazon. I tested it today and used the reward points to buy a used book ($4.00). Another card for bills and house supplies - I've already exchanged points for 2 $100 gift cards for this year. I'm so enjoying ordering 'free' and/or inexpensive books/ebooks this past year using these points. =)
(1)

We've missed you, Mina !

Executive secretary positions were big deals back in the day - I wonder if anyone knows Gregg Shorthand anymore?
(3)

:)
(1)

It is a food then, not a spelling game, scrabble?
(1)

BH.....I was totally w/you until you got to scrapple......threw me back to childhood. Dad was sick and couldn't work. Mom went out to earn the bread. Got a great job (for a college-educated woman in the 60's who now had to support her whole family).....Executive Secretary to the VP of Amour Foods.....turned out he was the nicest person in the whole world.....

He would leave his exec office, go down to the plant (yeah....back when exec's actually had a physical connect to the plant and the workers) and pack up a big box for Mom: Camay soap, Dial soap, Armour bacon, and.....yesss.....crates of .....Spam.....

LOL....we were, I guess, pretty poor at that point, BUT....we were d*mn near willing to starve to death before we had to survive on SPAM.....

Sorry.....for whatever reason, "scrapple" which I will admit, I do not even understand and have very possibly, never tasted, just reminded of that SPAM.....

I love your cutting wit and incisive posts, BH......thank you for this strange but welcome memory of my very recently late, wonderful Mother.
(1)

sorry no scrapple here but I do like creamed chipped beef
(0)

Also.....scrapple, anyone??
(1)

Sorry to roll back to last month......but liverwurst, oh yes! On rye. Braunschweiger (sp?) on crackers. And the mention of olive loaf sent me reeling on the "way-back machine." Haven't given it a thought in 30 years or so, but I could sure go for some right now. Shout-out to summer sausage, too. (Extra points if it's venison.) Sardines....anchovies....oh how I love my salty-stinky "old guy" foods!
(1)

one of my favorite songs can be found on Youtube..

I can see waters ragin' at my feet
I can feel the breath of those surroundin' me
I can hear the sound of nations risin' up
We will not be overtaken, we will not be overcome
I can walk down this dark & painful road
I can face every fear of the unknown
I can hear all God's children singin' out
We will not be overtaken, we will not be overcome!

The same power that rose Jesus from the grave
The same power that commands the dead to wake
Lives in us, lives in us
The same power that moves mountains when He speaks
The same power that can calm a ragin' sea
Lives in us, lives in us, He lives in us, lives in us!

We have hope, that His promises are true
In His strength, there is nothin' we can't do
Yes, we know, there are greater things in store
We will not be overtaken, we will not be overcome!
(2)

One of my favorite things to listen to on TV on a Saturday night is The Lawrence Welk show.Mother always had to see it and now,without her here,it somehow brings me closer to her for that hour and the music is happy and sweet and I Love the ending song"Good night,Sleep tight and pleasant dreams to you...".
(3)

Cant sleep..but feeling blessed by the private messages I am getting from people who miss working with me.
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter