Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Suffering now from a Mondergreen, when reading the post by Amygrace that said "anything by Andy Williams,
Everytime I read it, it looks like:
"Anything but Andy Williams".
(2)

Posted about Mondegreens, however it was erased.
From memory, Sylvia Wright misunderstood a scottish ballad's words, she later wrote about it in 1954, it became popular to refer to mishearing a poem, ballad, song lyrics (or any ??) as a mondegreen. For more, google "Mondegreens", see the funny funny examples there.
(1)

Why is it called a Mondegreen?
(1)

What do you mean, Churchmouse?
(0)

Oh? Why? After whom?
(0)

Misunderstanding song lyrics is called a Mondegreen.
(1)

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.
Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rarely ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect in it's weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

(Sauce unknown)
(1)

Oh yes - anything by Andy Williams! And church music - the original songs - not the new ones that have been doctored with "inclusive" language. Each time I hear Amazing Grace I get shivers up my spine!
(2)

How great Thou art and Cabaret, Lu? That's what I call a good broad range of musical tastes!
(0)

It might be the same song, Gershun, that had a line, "Oh, for Grace to love Him more..." My grandmother's name is Grace. When I was young, I used to wonder why my grandmother didn't love Him enough? I really worried about her.
(1)

I love some of the old church hymns like "Swing Low,Sweet Chariot" and "Do Lord...Do you Remember Me".When the Hospice Chaplain came to visit with Mother he would always sing for her in the most beautiful voice.She always requested him to sing "How Great Thou Art".And I love Broadway songs too like "Cabaret" and ofcourse "Phantom of the Opera" especially "Music of the night"and "Masquarade".......Funny story Gershun!
(3)

Speaking of misinterpretation of words. There's this old hymn called Jesus Loves Even Me. My Mom had a sister named Eve and she used to think the song was Jesus loves Eve and Me. LOL. So cute!
(5)

Oh Chari, what a cutie pie! And I'm not one to think you have to be brave about losing pets - I still mourn the Siamese cat we lost to a road accident - goodness, was it? - nearly forty years ago. Besides, your mother's companion has a special meaning for you.

The vet is right: you'll know when. Meanwhile, gather the memories. Big hugs x
(2)

Yes, Send, they are - the genius is that faintest note of exasperation as they survey the mess. Oh dear oh dear oh dear (wiping eyes)...
(1)

I don't think this has anything to do with your conversation. At least I don't think it will cause anyone to have to change panties or giggle for a month. I put up a picture of what used to be my mom's long-haired Chihuahua. Hubby and I inherited her after mom passed away, and she has us wrapped around her little paw! I won't leave it up long; I just wanted you to see her. Mulata will know what her name means. It might cause some laughter? There is a restaurant in the north named ChiChis. This little prissy baby just looked liked ChiChi, so that is her name. I knew the slang meaning in Spanish, but I didn't care. Mulata will know. It is a slang word for "breast." It is like our restaurant named "Hooters." So, a Mexican guy might say a woman has a nice set of "Chichis." When ChiChi was young, she could ready strut her stuff; she was so pretty. She is like the rest of us now. She is getting old. I thought she was going to leave us a few weeks ago. I grabbed her up in a blanket and rushed to the vet and cried openly in the waiting room. The vet said she could give her a shot and I could give her a pill for her joints, and that might give her a little time; but, she said ChiChi was like a little person...her body was wearing out. I asked if she would be in pain. She said no, but I would be able to tell when. So, with my husband telling me that he is not going to last forever and trying to prepare me for his death and looking at ChiChi and wondering if today will be the day to take her back to the vet for the last time, maybe I do need to be singing your song, "Alone, Again?" I have to remind myself, as I am sure all of you do, that people and pets are not ours to keep; they are only loaned to us for a time. We should be thankful for the time we had and not complain about the time when we have to give them up. I can surely talk a good game, can't I? Let's see how I am when something happens to one of them. Nothing could ever hurt like my mom's death, though, so I know I will survive. I think that leads into another song from a few nights ago, "I will survive..."
(3)

Churchmouse, Picking myself up off the floor and choosing a new pair of undies, now I can finally post that Jessebelle's music interpretation is better than the original words.
(2)

Jessie I am squealing with laughter so hard I can barely type. No point in us repainting! - oh my goodness I'll be giggling about that for a month...
(1)

When I was watching Andy Williams T.V. show, looking back now, he almost grew up the Jackson Five (Michael Jackson) and the Osmond Brothers (Donny and Marie) during the several years span of his show. Then Donny and Marie Osmond
had their own show, singing "I am a little bit country, he's a little bit rock and roll".
Even though it was mostly corny, I enjoyed the little bit aspect of country; and little bit of rock and roll because too much of either was not my taste. However, when Andy sang with the Righteous Brothers, he could keep up! (They damped down)--it was a very conservative show, after all.
(1)

I remember the first time I heard the song "Alone Again," I figured I misunderstood the lyrics. They were so weird, especially because I misunderstood the first verse about jumping off the tower. I thought it said: "My God, that stuff. She stood him up. No point in us repainting." I had this vision of blood and guts everywhere.
(3)

Andy Williams did quite a lot of covers, which was great in that he had a fabulous, melodic voice. What wasn't quite so great was his self-confessed lack of interest in the lyrics' meaning: "I just sing the songs," he said in interview. The subject came up because another song he covered was "Every Step You Take" by Sting, which as you realise when you pay attention is the diary of an incredibly sinister stalker - news to Andy Williams, evidently. I was very surprised by his attitude, in such a marvellous singer.

Alone Again Naturally was released when I was seven or eight and it made me sob my heart out. Still does form a lump in my throat. It was that verse:
"I remember I cried when my father died
never wishing to hide the tears.
At sixty five years old
my mother, God rest her soul,
couldn't understand
why the only man
she had ever loved had been taken,
leaving her to start
with a heart
so badly broken. Despite encouragement from me
no words were ever spoken;
and when she passed away
I cried and cried all day...
Alone again, naturally."

You can imagine the horror hearing that would cause an insecure little girl. Gilbert O' Sullivan was phenomenally successful in the early 70s then dropped off the radar, apparently as the result of getting caught out by a rat-bag business manager who essentially robbed his considerable fortune. He was back, though, a little while ago. Don't know if there have been new releases.
(1)

Guess there are several songs entitled, "Born Free". I also liked Kids Rock.
Thanks for sharing your time with me, Jesse!

The fireworks seem like they are right out front! Stiil loud, 9:16 p.m. Doubt very much the drunkest, loudest revelers even know what the holiday is for!
(0)

Chipmunks rule!
"Glad to be an American, where at least I once was free!"
"O, Say can you see, by the dawn's early light"

The spirit is willing, Jesse, but the flesh is weak.

Looking up Born Free-I think Andy Williams sang that too! Or, was it the BOSS?
(0)

Just went on a spree listening to some of my favorite you-tube video songs. Ended it with Kid's Rock "Born Free." Song inspires me. I remember when it was true for me. What in the world happens as we get older that the spirit just gets so tame?
(1)

Jessebelle, Loving the Chipmunks rendition! In walks dH, says, can you even understand the words to the song? I belt out: "You've had a bad day!" as if I could understand the chipmunks lyrics, ha ha ha, and he says, "I don't like the Chipmunks!".

Wait til he hears the chipmunks sing, "Oh say can you see!" by the stars early light, happening NOW, 8:17 p.m. So. Cal.

Happy fourth, even if anyone is alone and lonely tonight!
(1)

I found it. The video said Andy Williams sings Gilbert O'Sullivans "Alone Again." It is the first I've heard of it by him. Cool.
(0)

Really, it is Gilbert O'Sullivan's song. Not Gilbert and O'Sullivan. Did Andy Williams do it, too? I never heard his version. I'll have to look to see if I can find it online.
(0)

It's okay Jessebelle! Just a quick sadness, dissipating even quicker, would never do that, but I feel better after singing that little ditty to myself. I imagine if Andy made it to elder-age, so can I. Maybe he just sang Gilbert and O Sullivan's song.
(0)

When I feel like that I balance it out with the Daniel Powter video "Bad Day."
(1)

No!!!

That was Gilbert O'Sullivan and we need you here, Send.
(1)

Andy Williams/Alone Again, Naturally
"In a little while from now,
If I'm not feeling any less sour,
I promise myself to treat myself
To visit a nearby tower"
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter