Follow
Read More
You can't get hebrew national hot dogs in Canada, in fact in my opinion you can't get any decent tasting hot dog brands at all in the grocery stores. Every time I buy hot dogs I am terribly disappointed after I take the first bite, they just aren't as good as I remembered. That probably explains why hot dogs are mostly covered in ketchup and given to the kids and adults gravitate to burgers and sausages.
(3)

Wallyworld - euphimism for WalMart.

What I got from that post was Hebrew National hot dogs at WalMart.
(1)

Send hun? Can you do that last one in English please for a dumb Brit?

Does it say Hebrew National are the hot dogs you get at Walmart? And what is wallyworld
(2)

He brew nati on Al are the hot ogs I get at al ma art. They used to sell knockwurst there at wallyworld too.
(1)

Adios, Amigos. Sounds like you need the four-pronged can.
Love, from Send.
(1)

No, I don't have FM. I've had two strokes: one not so bad, in the late '90s. My mum was dying then and I didn't see the point in telling her -- I said that I had a pinched nerve in my shoulder.

In 2012 I had a second one, went to rehab, and everything was coming along quite smoothly until I broke my hip in the spring. The right one -- the strokes have affected my right side.

Then I could NOT get the strength back in my right leg and my balance worsened. And I had to leave my husband, so everything went a bit pear-shaped at that point. Now I'm recovering, sort of. I'm at my place by Lake Huron.

Do you think I can get kosher knockwurst in Wasaga Beach?? And I'm certain that I can get organic celery at Walmart -- snort. Going to Toronto tho' tomorrow, so I'll try there.

Did you have one of those four-pronged canes, or a single one? Mine has four prongs. I think it helps more than it hurts. I'll try physio again too -- that might help. I just got some private benefits coverage (I worked for Nortel Networks, it went bankrupt, I lost my benefits and $350,000 worth of life insurance -- the story in a nutshell). I'll use that for my physio.

It's been so good talking to you, Send. Adios, for now.
(2)

Oh well, I confess, going after a hot dog in a hurry, I would have fallen or tripped too! BTW, Love hot dogs, but the nitrites alone in those things can re-arrange your brain, and balance, imo. Try kosher knockworst. Or stop falling for hot dogs, if you will.
(1)

You are correct, Jinglebts, the signals from your brain are not getting to your feet/legs correctly. There are degenerative changes in my spine that cause my legs to miss signals, and, plop, or flying now, I have fallen. Using a cane made it worse, concentrating on where the cane goes. Use the cane like a baton or above the head exercise instead. Rest enough when you get weak.
My balance has improved, but if balance issues arise, I continue or re-commit to the following: 1) Always look in the direction you are heading; 2) Accept your limitations if you have fallen before and concentrate on a slower, steady pace;
3) I had to discontinue gerd rx (prilosec) because it caused trouble, including dizzyness; Vit. D3 had tested low, Dr. advised this and no known side effects!
Magnesium supplement @1000 mg. helped nerve and muscle conduction and stops leg cramps.
There is no clinical proof that a slap upside the head will help, but willing to try it, lol.
Things are not returned to perfect, and mild exercise, physical therapy effort, and being more careful keeps me going. Juiced organic celery 8 oz. in a.m. before food helped with g.e.r.d. for awhile.
Do you have fibromyalgia?
(0)

No, it's full of vit D.

Cane, you noodle.
(2)

Jingle, how does a can help with balance, is it full of beans?
(0)

Send: Vit D3 is good for balance issues? I have to walk with a can b/c my balance is so bad, and last week I even fell over in a parking lot outside Canadian Tire b/c I was getting a hot dog and trying to get up to the curb (I didn't use my cane -- duh) ... but whatever, I think my brain doesn't work right when going up, and esp. down, stairs.

So I'm going to take D3 for my balance issues. I'll thump you upside the head if it doesn't work ;=)
(1)

Reading an old post from 2013, the advice was Vit D3 for solving irregular poop issues and balance issues!
(0)

Potatoe chips.. my downfall!! We are from a small town in Pa, and they make a brand called hartlys.. OMG!! My relatives bring us a case or two when they come down... not good for my waist but great for my soul!!
(2)

Mmmm, Lays classic. Thanks Send! I think they should include that as a hug along with the cookies.
Today we are having bowel problems in the other direction (thank god?) and I have decided to opt for a cocktail instead of potato chips.
(1)

DON'T google the story line. It is a major spoiler! It will tell you the whole story, rather than let you discover it along the way. If I had known the story before I watched it the first time, it would have ruined it the last part of it totally.
(1)

Today, my favorite thing is that the second set of car keys-has been found!
A burden was lifted-trying to prevent my thoughts from wandering to what the worst could be if the keys were found, by the wrong person, say, dropped in the driveway! Losing my keys-very new to me.
(2)

Cwillie, Did you get your empathy potato chips?
(0)

Churchmouse,
Yes, being careful with recommendations is something to be aware of. Entertaining another's psychotic delusions can be harmful, or so I was taught in nursing college. Ill persons may enjoy shows, but may also believe it to be true.

Does anyone remember discussions about a year ago, when jokingly, we entertained silly ideas about placing our remains in a freezer to save burial expenses? Well, in the news-a woman was arrested for doing just that! Google: Woman sells freezer with dead mother inside, North Carolina.
Re-thinking what being careful means.

(2)

pamzimmrrt: I totally agree. Makes one wonder how we ever got along with one TV, a few channels, and you actually had to get up from the chair/couch to change the channel! The shows back then were family friendly, and you only could watch the news at 6:00 or 11:00! Thanks for sharing.
(2)

Send? You'd be surprised what elders enjoy - I asked my originally German great aunt what she was doing for her birthday, and she said some friends had got tickets for an Ibsen play. "Oh! - Ibsen's so gloomy!" I said. "I *like* gloomy," she said (you have to do the irremediable Prussian accent, still there after sixty years in England).

On the other hand... I agree you need to take care with recommendations... my SIL's husband was hunting out a treat for his (unbelievable) mother, and I'd seen a review in the paper about a play that sounded promising. Until I heard myself reading aloud to him over the phone, as the review carried on: "... a turning point in his relationship with his overbearing, domineering and narcissistic mother which changes their lives forever." I said oh well, perhaps she would think it was actually about a sullen, ungrateful child being sharper than a serpent's tooth towards his saintly mother. I think they went out to dinner in the end.
(3)

M88, Not Beau Bridges. The Fisher King is a 1991 movie with Robin Williams and Jeff Bridges, but you would not want your Mom to see it. You can google the story line.
The movie has some violent scenes depicting a tragedy in the mind of a homeless man tortured by the images he replays in his mind. It actually was kind of scary.
(1)

Is Fisher King a movie with Beau Bridges?

M88
(0)

Sendme2help and JessieBelle, I'm so smiles right now. One of my favorite things is museums. I have a 60 -90 minute window once a week and I went to see Van Gogh's Bedrooms exhabit twice before it left. I dont remember ever seeing Fisher King but now its on my list.
In my old life I had the freedom to come whenever. But now I take some plesure in planing how to spend my free time.
(1)

But let me not say to much lest I spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it. Fisher King is definitely worth viewing for people who like to think beyond the most superficial level.
(3)

Van Gogh and the song about him always touch my heart. Van Gogh was a man of God, but tormented by mental demons. His work is like he saw too much too clearly and had to turn the brightness and volume down to try to keep hold.

I love the movie Fisher King. I always thought it was Perry. Now I know better. Each time I watched it -- I had the VHS for years -- I would notice a new theme. It wasn't until the last time I watched that I really understood "Forgive me." Our tongues can indeed be vicious weapons that can destroy our own lives, as well as others.
(1)

"The sadness will last forever" said another great artist, Vincent Van Gough.

Another of my favorite songs: Starry Starry Night sung by Don McLean, can be found on youtube.
"They're not listening, they're not listening still, perhaps they never will"

Drugs, pot, and suicide are just not the answer to anything, imo.
(3)

Jessebelle,
Thank you for that reminder of Robin Williams and one of my favorite movies,
The Fisherking.
On the way to becoming real, like The Velveteen Rabbit and Pinocchio, The story of "The Fisherking" in the movie is many layered. I am reminded of the Red Horse in Revelation that comes to take away the peace of the world.

In a blog, I found this (but do not have the exact reference):
"We as humans, though, search for meaning. We seek to transform our suffering into something better, something stronger, just as coal is tortured into being diamond. Through recognizing their fallible humanness, through identification with another, through suffering, through laying down their lives for someone else, through an acceptance of God’s divine grace, Jack and Parry are both transformed. "
(Jack and Parry, the characters portrayed in the movie-Parry being played by Robin Williams). Robin Williams was in real life, a man who suffered from his own demons, had a fine mind, used drugs and pot for a long time, his life ending in suicide.
(1)

You sound like our parents when they said all those drugs in music and on TV would turn us all into potheads, why next thing they'll be wanting to make that mary jane legal! No, wait... uh, ...
(3)

I still have all the old Mary Kate and Ashley videos and a VHS player. Disney too.. But I still wish there was something on regular TV. Sometimes I think all this violence on TV is part of the problem in the world today ( just my old lady rant)
(2)

pam, when my granddaughter was little, I bought a bunch of old Disney movies on VHS for cheap. As she's gotten older, we use Netflix. I was surprised that not only did they have Sherman and Mr. Peabody cartoons, but she knows who they are.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter