Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Central I think there is almost nothing on these days that the whole family can watch together. I shudder to think what we will watch as a family if I ever have grandchildren.. old disney movies? Oh yes,, lets watch the programing on evening tv with sex/violence. Not that I don;t like some of those shows.. but it gets awkward with the parents.. much less with children!
(1)

After almost a year with no oven,Somehow we got a grant through Hospice and we were able to get a new oven.I was and still am Very grateful.
(2)

JessieBelle: I don't remember Fisher King, but I liked what you said about the new faucet and PVC pipes! I thought I was the only one who got excited about things being fixed around the house. For me, it was one time when we got the washing machine fixed after it flooded part of the basement! It was a fairly new machine and found out that behind the back panel, the hose was broken. Oh, I also got a new rake in the fall so I could rake the leaves. It seems like the little things in life make us happiest!
(2)

Oh, I need to relate it to a show. How about Robin Williams in Fisher King? That's what being happy with a little is like... until the Red Knight comes to steal all the joy. Eek.
(2)

A good thing about not having a lot is that little things mean a lot. Don't laugh. I got a new faucet and PVC pipes for my bathroom sink. I feel so rich with big happy.
(1)

SusanA43: Thanks! I'll have to look for it in our TV guide. I think Harvey Korman, Tim Conway, Carol Burnette were so funny, down to earth and made a great team. Even the other actress, I think it was Vicki Lawrence, who came in later, and played (I'm not sure -- Mamma?), was a great addition. I like the TV Land channel and watch a lot of the older shows (including All In The Family); they're so much better than some of the stuff on the air now. They didn't need much in the special effects area, or background either -- they WERE the show! I like discussing these things on here because there aren't too many people around the office or at home that like the same things, so it's hard to talk about them. This is sort of like a book club -- you can find people who know what you're talking about! Thanks again.
(3)

CentralMass - you should watch some of the reunion shows where they explain how all that happened. There were 2 shows done in the same night - both the same show, just one live and one recorded. They would do the first one flawlessly, and then on the 2nd one, Tim Conway would just destroy Harvey Korman by ad-libbing or really hamming it up - and poor Harvey would lose it every single time.
(2)

May Each Day
Andy Williams

May each day of the week be a good day,
May the Lord always watch over you,
And may all of your hopes turn to wishes,
And may all of your wishes come true.
May each day of the month be a good day,
May you make friends with each one you meet,
And may all of your day dreams be mem'ries,
And may all of your mem'ries be sweet.
The weeks turn to months, and the months into years,
There'll be sadness and joy, there'll be laughter and tears.
But one thing I pray to the Heavens above:
May each of your days be a day full of love.
May each day in the year be a good day,
May each dawn find you happy and gay,
And may all of your days be as lovely
As the one you share with me today.
May each day in your life be a good day,
And good night.
(1)

Sendme....I love "From A Distance" by Bette Middler.Such a beautiful song and when I lost my Dad,'the Wind Beneath My Wings" was the song I listened to over and over.Right now,there is a song out that says"I'll tell you all about it when I see you again" that I love but another song Iv'e always loved is the one at the end of The Lawrence Welk Show,The Goodnight song...I don't know all the words but I like 'from now till we meet again' and "It's always sweet sorrow to part,but you'll always remain in my heart"...something like that.Today I think I should listen to"Here Comes The Sun" by the Beatles.....
(3)

SusanA43 - I love that show as well, used to watch with mom years ago. I especially liked the fact that they had a hard time not to laugh during the taping. It seemed like they adlibbed and had a great time with the show. I never knew that the ear tug was a signal to her mom. Thanks for sharing!
(2)

Luckylu - I love that show. And the ear tug she always did at the end was her little signal to her mother that she loved her. :-)
(3)

I love the song that Carol Burnett sings at the end of her show..."I'm so glad we had this time together
Just to have a laugh or sing a song,
Seems we just get started and before you know it
Comes the time we have to say so long....
(6)

Send I love that song. "The Wind beneath my Wings" is another great one of hers. Always reminds me of my dear Mom.
(2)

From a distance, the world looks like my friend.
(1)

Bette Midler – From A Distance Lyrics
From a distance
The world looks blue and green
And the snow capped mountains white
From a distance
The ocean meets the stream
And the eagle takes to flight

From a distance
There is harmony
And it echoes through the land
It's the voice of hope
It's the voice of peace
It's the voice of every man
(3)

It's World Tap Dance Day!!!

Just heard that on good old CBC (another one of my favourite things -- couldn't live without that either). I adore Fred Astaire and will watch The Gay Divorcee any chance I get, esp. when I'm down. "It's just like looking for a needle in a haystack, searching for a dewdrop in the dew ... but I've gotta find you".

Speaking of tea and the preparation thereof, my very favourite kind of tea is Lady Grey with honey and lemon slices. Used to have any kind of tea after dinner every evening, a very long while ago, and when I got an ulcer (not from the tea), that was the hardest habit I ever had to give up, bar none (smoking? piece of cake compared to the tea). So now I savor the odd cup of Earl or Lady Grey[sp?] whenever I have it.

Who knew there was such a thing as World Tap Dance Day. Of course I love all kinds of tap -- Irish, Scottish, Michael Flatley, Bojangles (and a three-year old Shirley Temple), and Greg Hines, Gene Kelly, the Nicholas Brothers, Donald O'Connor, Sammy Davis Jr ... and Ginger Rogers.

Sigh ... I think I'll watch Gay Divorcee for the hundredth time.

Happy Tap Dance Day, everyone! [[[Hugs!!]]]
(4)

When I was in college I boarded briefly with a couple that had once cooked in the northern lumber camps. My first meal there I was asked if I would like tea, yes please. OMG, I never made that mistake again, there must have been six or eight bags left to steep for half an hour in that pot, maybe good for lumberjacks in the morning but so strong and bitter I could barely choke it down!
Loose leaf tea is for true tea aficionados (tea snobs? lol). I think most any tea can be nice if you start with boiling water and don't let it over brew, and make it in a tea pot rather than in your mug in the microwave!
(3)

There is a brand made in Boston Mass that makes excellent tea bags, if you have trouble finding loose leaf. I agree that the boiling water, and that means really boiling not just recently boiled, is critical; otherwise you end up with flavourless bathwater. You 'take the pot to the kettle, not the kettle to the pot.' George Orwell used to insist, when he worked at the BBC, that the water must be freshly drawn and used the second it comes to the boil; which just goes to show that everyone has something they feel dictatorial about.

The one per person plus one for the pot formula is correct; but of course it presupposes that you are using the right sized pot for the number of tea drinkers. So don't forget to estimate how many you think your pot will serve before you start spooning the leaves in. And yes you must warm the pot first. If you're using an earthenware or pottery pot, though, I personally would leave off the tea cosy because you don't want the tea to stew - too many tannins, it becomes rather astringent. If the pot is silver or bone china go ahead and keep it warm.

Type of tea makes a difference too. PD's made with Indian or Kenyan tea would be of the 'put hairs on your chest' type; I personally prefer China or Assam tea and brew for less time, which I call more delicate and PD would probably say 'surprised it's got the strength to run out of the spout.'

Also make sure your packet is recently opened. Tea will store well in an airtight tin or caddy, but it really must be airtight.
(1)

A cup of boiling hot water and a tea bag wont do it either Veronica!!!!!! grins

Kellse

You need to warm a tea pot first or the tea goes cold too quickly and doesn't brew properly. You need to use tea leaves - one teaspoon per person and one for the pot. Put those in the warmed teapot, add boiling water cover with a cloth (or tea cosy) and wait for at least 4 minutes then strain through a strainer (having added milk first if you like milk in your tea) I use about 7-8 cups of water for 4 cups of tea (because I like seconds and 5 teaspoons of real tea will easily do that
(2)

kellse, you can make a good cup of tea in the USA. You just need to find an Englishwoman to show you how to do it. A cup of luke warm water and a tea bag is not going to do it.
(4)

The best cup of tea I ever had was in England
(0)

From all the ravings about English muffins, I guess the store bought ones are nothing compared to what you all are raving - the real deal ones? I went to London one time. That was my very first time to have ever seen people pour cream into their dainty tea. I hesitated in doing that but... decided to follow everyone doing it. Ohhhh myyyyy Goodness!!! That was just soooo delicious! Years later, when I visited Cairns, Australia, and found out that they were serving English tea with scones, I was so excited for the tea. It was so delicious! Too bad they only limited one cup per tourist. sigh.. I can never make tea like that (tea bag).....
(2)

English muffins....similar yo a roll in size but the texture is airy with nooks and crannies for the butter or other toppings to sink in. The outside is somewhat crunchy while the inside is soft. Googled Thomas English Muffins. Great bread for breakfast with an egg. Similar to ciabatta bread or a sourdough.
(0)

Veronica....WOW....just to say, I, for one, really appreciate what you share. You have given me vivid images in just 2 short posts. Reminds me of my Mom's stories of growing up in Ireland. Thank you!
(2)

OMG....English muffins....I could eat them for B, L, D.....warm and toasted with melted butter and/or any other topping of your choice!!
Thank God, I 've got willpower or.....the toaster oven's broken....
(1)

I had English muffin for bfast today. P butter and strawberry preserves.
Cup of coffee and 2 apricots

Yum!
M88
(2)

I live in Md where there is a huge English Muffin factory .. or was for years. I Love them. with butter or peanut butter! I find it hard to find crumpets! Unless I go to Wegmans!
(2)

Cwillie i actually worked in Dickens workhouse. By that time it had been transformed into a branch of a major London hospital. Transformed is the wrong word, The geriatric wards were still vast open 30 bed units.Beds round the edge and another row down the center. The windows looked out over the churchyard.
(2)

Crumpets with maple butter are absolutely the best thing ever!!

Veronica, I can't imagine what the millennials think of your childhood, to them it must sound like something out of Dickens ;P
(3)

I want some crumpets.
growing up we had a long toasting fork hanging by the fireplace and used to toast the crudest over the member than slather with butter and jam ( always homemade in those days) Blackberry jelly was my favorite. However I did not care for the country walks to pick blackberries. I actually favored "wooding" You had to drag home any fallen wood you found for the fire. gleaning was another walk. After the harvest we went to the corn fields and picked up any corn stalks that had been missed and took them home to feed grandma's chickens.
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter