Follow
Read More
OK, the crumpets I buy are definitely made with a yeast batter, and I've never seen a recipe using soda.
Mmmm, I think I should buy some crumpets when I go shopping today!
(2)

After all, crumpets and English muffins are both griddle cakes - meaning they were originally made on the stove top in a cast-iron griddle pan. They're both round and generally biscuit-sized. They both have a spongy texture full of nooks and crannies for absorbing melted butter and other delicious toppings. They're also both considered to be a breakfast, brunch, or tea food, but not the kind of bread you'd serve with dinner.

But then things start to get confusing:

• Crumpets are always made with milk, but English muffins never do. (Though there are a few recipes that beg to differ.)

• Crumpet batter is just that: a loose batter. English muffins are made from a more firm dough. (Sometimes.)

• Crumpets are made only using baking soda, where as English muffins are made with yeast or sourdough (and occasionally a little baking soda to help things along).

• Crumpets are cooked only on one side, so the bottom is flat and toasted while the top is speckled with holes (delicious, butter-absorbing holes...). English muffins are more bread-like and are toasted on both sides. (This one is actually a definite!)

• Crumpets are served whole with the jam and butter are spread right on top. English muffins are split before serving. (Unless you happen to like your crumpets split.)

As long as it serves as a vehicle for melted butter and jam, we're pretty equal opportunity when it comes to breakfast baked goods! Call it a crumpet or an English muffin, we'll give it a try either way.

From thekitchn website.
(1)

HA! CM. You do not have English muffins? They are about three inches in diameter, about a inch thick, a bread. They are crust on both sides with very bubbly texture when they are baked. They are baked before they are purchased. They are sliced in half, usually toasted for quite a crispy, yet soft bread. And they are an ideal butter delivery system, to say nothing of jam and peanut butter! We have crumpets too, but probably not what the Brit version is.
(2)

I've always wondered: what IS an English muffin?
(1)

Whose fingers?
Trump's or the buttery toasted English muffin's?

Hehehe,

M88
(0)

And his fingers.
(0)

I don't want to get into politics but I believe his hair is the way it is because he wants everyone to know that he doesn't give a cap about what they think. That is pretty obvious. People have been making fun of his hair for a long time and he hasn't restyled it yet, so I don't think he will.
(2)

Kellse, yes they are, Bays are very good too especially split and grilled! Mmmm! Toating an english muffin is cheating but is what I usually do.
(1)

I do believe Thomas' English Muffins are one of the better butter delivery systems
(1)

I am strictly talking "hair & grooming" here.

It's not even a good toupee.

It's HIS HAIR.

IMAGINE him being the country's role model? !? Hair cut please, if anyone resds this and is affiliated, acquainted, related, to him, please tell him! Hahaha!

I'm sure he's been told but he "don't care".

Hair only........... aptitude...............no comments.

M88
(0)

Trump himself has said a lot of his more outrageous comments are just an attempt to spark debate, not a blueprint of his intentions. I think the people that vote for him based on what he says will be very surprised if he wins as he has no intention of following through with most of it. In my opinion this is not a good strategy as it inflames and reinforces the radical fringe and will ultimately increase their distrust of all politicians.
(3)

I guess I'm in the minority, but I think if Trump is elected he will surprise us all and be a good president. They said a lot of bad things about Reagan. The most important thing is he loves the US. nuff said
(2)

I wouldn't mind his hair so much if he at least had a nice personality or knew what the h*ll he was talking about. You figure with all that money he would groom himself a little better though.
(2)

It's utterly ugly and long and messy.
Who would respect a character that cannot even comb his hair?
What about matters of State and World Affairs?

Sigh!
MeMuLaTa88
(1)

I wonder where he gets that particular shade of yellow for his hair. ??????? :p
(3)

He would be more believable if he spent a bit of time and money to go to the best aesthetician in THE PLANET and get a decent and proper haircut, dye, and new style.
It is his hair, but it looks RIDICULOUS.
Having the best of the best, he must change the birds nest he
has on top of his head! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Uuuggghhhhh! M88
(2)

Yes we have Justin Trudeau.............don't know what he has done yet except look cute and promise to legalize marijuana. But I'd still rather have him than old comb over Donald.
(3)

Well at least in the USA the president's term in office is limited, here in Canada they can stay on forever (at least it sometimes seems that way).

Sendme, I looked up that song yesterday, very nice :)
(3)

Gershun and all: I don't know a lot about politics either, but I've heard a lot of people say that they're going to Canada if Trump gets in. One girl that works across the hall from me said she will go back to Africa. I guess the pickings are pretty slim, and this is probably the one of the hardest times people have had in choosing someone for president. It's a little "scary" to me. Thank you Gershun and all for sharing your thoughts, input, advice and stories.
(2)

"Tell Your Heart To Beat Again"

You're shattered
Like you've never been before
The life you knew
In a thousand pieces on the floor
And words fall short in times like these
When this world drives you to your knees
You think you're never gonna get back
To the you that used to be

Tell your heart to beat again
Close your eyes and breathe it in
Let the shadows fall away
Step into the light of grace
Yesterday's a closing door
You don't live there anymore
Say goodbye to where you've been
And tell your heart to beat again

Beginning
Just let that word wash over you
It's alright now
Love's healing hands have pulled you through
So get back up, take step one
Leave the darkness, feel the sun
Cause your story's far from over
And your journey's just begun

Let every heartbreak
And every scar
Be a picture that reminds you
Who has carried you this far
'Cause love sees farther than you ever could
In this moment heaven's working
Everything for your good

Your heart to beat again
Beat again

Oh, so tell your heart to beat again
(7)

Tell your heartxto beat again
https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=F77v41jbOYs
(0)

Gersh,
I'm 54 as well.

M88
(1)

I wish I had an answer for you Send. I don't know enough about politics to even speculate a solution for the problem that is Donald Trump.
(4)

Gershun, You are still very young. You make so much sense-a very astute Canadian who knows what trouble we will all be in the U.S. if we don't wake up and get a viable candidate for the highest office in the land. Worried, I thought I should ask my Canadian friends for ideas.
(2)

I'm only 54 and I don't make much sense a lot of the time too. :(
(2)

I feel for you, Phoenix. Maybe it's not all the same kite, but multiple kites with one string? Who knows - just when you think you understand it, you find out you really don't at all...
(2)

Eileen is my Mums friend so all is sort of there just very jumbled up. I feel more and more often these days as thoughI have one of those kids' puzzles 6 children 6 kites but the strings all jumbled up and you have to find out which kid has which kite! In Mums world they all have the same kite I am sure
(2)

UPSTAIRS DOWNSTAIRS. BBC
Still, Dame Eileen, who dreamt up the idea for the original series of Upstairs, Downstairs with her friend Jean Marsh, says: “When I first heard that they were reviving it, I thought, 'well, that’s my pension sorted out.’”
Mum--
It was not Dame Eileen who had the stroke, it was her friend, Jean Marsh, at age 78, who had the stroke.
Long time ago.
(0)

Phoenix,
So funny-maybe the friend, whatever her name is, would bring along her own caregiver, live next door?
Are you recording the conversations for your caregiving book?

Cwillie, Should I be worried? The conversation made perfect sense to me.
Who is Eileen, inquiring minds want to know!!! I hope she recovers from her stroke.
(2)

Maybe it all made perfect sense and it is really just you losing your hearing? lol
BTW they are right, the queen 'is' remarkable for her age, isn't she?
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter