Follow
Read More
My Mum had a very elderly friend visit yesterday - now it is always amusing to listen in to two people's conversation (made even more amusing by their inability to hold the line of conversation)

Mums friend is really very hard of hearing, Mum has dementia and her speech is quite soft now (unfortunately that doe not follow through to her harsh comments but hey ho)

So overheard conversation
Started with Mum saying

Its about time you sold that house and got a flat - you can't manage it now

I don’t want to move from my house …go on say something

Well the Queen doesn’t use a stick yet

She pretty though lovely skin

Yes but she’s had the best of it all her life

Well not all her life she’s a commoner

Is she but Charles wife isn’t is she

Who Kate oh she’s lovely

And their baby is cute

Which one

Eugene

And as for Eileen well she has had a stroke

Well she wont be on duty much now then - who’s Eileen

Now when I had taken said friend home Mum said to me I like having Freda here (friend is not called Freda!) She and I have so much in common and she understands me. Its a shame she doesn't live nearer - perhaps she could live with us!

Oh and perhaps I could kill myself now!!!!!! I did say I thought caring for one person was enough to which I got the reply that I was selfish. Well I don't care .......I am a selfish caregiver!
(3)

Ever hear of SIBLING RIVALRY??

What about STIGMA against the mentally ill?
(2)

Beatles- OBADI OBADA, la la how ife goes on.....

Thanks Glad, for the millenials song.
(0)

The Carol Burnett Show collection on DVD is non-stop laughing and I find it more enjoyable now than when we watched the original shows. Definitely a must have!

M88
(4)

Right now one of my favorite things is sitting in Mom's room and watching tv with her.we enjoy Blue Bloods, Big Bang Theory, Chicago Med, Chicago Fire and Chicago P.D. For Mother's Day I got her a collection of Carol Burnett Show on DVD, so that will be another way to enjoy time together.
(3)

or, was the car in Ireland also?
(0)

Was the card a birthday greeting?
(0)

It's okay, Gershun, some people can be hit by a car, a card, or a feather and the effect would be the same. We knew what you meant. Lol.
(3)

Hit by a car, not card...........LOL
(2)

Yeah, And I should know better than to mess with an Irish blessing-it was shortly after that the wind whipped up, the electricty blew....
(0)

I also nearly got knocked down by the wind in Ireland. No lie. We heard a story while we were there about someone getting blown off a cliff. I said "yeah, right" Then a few days later a big wind gust nearly knocked me down. I guess thats why thats an irish proverb. You probably do want the wind at your back.
(3)

My eyes swelled shut when I got my first sunburn as a teen. True.

Then, just an hour ago, the wind was so strong-we heard a loud Pop and our electricity went out. My husband thinking it was a transformed exploding-but oud electricty went right back on. Very, very windy here!
(0)

The road rose up to meet me once when I got hit by a card. True story:(
(1)

May the road rise up to meet you. May the wind be always at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face And rains fall soft upon your fields And until we meet again, May God hold you in the hollow of His hand.
- Irish blessing
(2)

Lol, you all have cheered up my day, even though I was trying to cheer you! Lol.
(1)

Good point, Send!
(0)

Then there is the sun burn, with the sun always shining on your face.
(1)

I'm a klutz, Send - if the road rose up to meet me, I'd be kissing the pavement all the time, just like you said. And if the wind was at my back, I'd be straining against it to stay upright, and when the wind suddenly died down, I'd fall over backwards! LOL
(1)

LOL
(1)

Wait, how can the road rising up to meet you be a good thing? If you are falling, you will get smacked in the face.
If the wind is always at your back, t would just be too too windy-all the time!

Sorry.
(1)

Yes, Susan! I hear you, and COFFEE add chocolate, all your worries will be bad memories. May the road rise up to meet you, the wind always be at your back, how does that poem go, anyway?

Many blessings to come your way, I pray.
(2)

Trying to stay positive today in light of recent events....so.....

Least favorite things:
Cold front coming that may actually bring snow flurries. In May.

Dandelions & weeds in a yard that has never had proper care, other than mowing. (Thanks Dad....)

Clients who drop off the face of the earth without paying me for a week at a time, then re-appear, demanding everything be done RIGHT NOW. (Paid me after I refused to do any work until they did. Ha!) And then they leave the country after telling me they're going on a trip "in May" - but don't give me dates (they left TODAY) - and leave their email forwarded to an invalid email address, so I can't even access it to help cover THAT.

Vehicle that is dying of old age. How appropriate is that for those of us on this site...
Having to repeatedly explain to creditors why bills are late - because I am handling all of the expenses of this neglected house and yard, mom's private room at NH - without help from anyone.

Last remaining member of my Dad's immediate family (his sister) is very ill, in ICU and having scope done on her lungs. It doesn't look good. She's a lifelong heavy smoker and has a history of pneumonia, so they say the spot they found could be mucus....or something else. She also has repeated bowel problems (for years now), leg infections, and now she has bed sores or pressure sores - not sure which.

Ok....shaking off the negative!

Favorite things:
72 degrees in May (today, at least. Better enjoy while I can!)

Gift cards from clients and/or random surveys from vendors that give gift cards as a reward. ($50 in Amazon cards in one week!)

Free weed n' feed for the yard (courtesy of the 2 free gift cards mentioned above) - and it was $10 cheaper on Amazon (w/free shipping for a 40-lb bag!) than it was in the local big box store for the same product.

COFFEE.

Clients who refer me to their colleagues - if everything comes through the way I hope it does, all the financial worries will be a distant memory soon. I hope.
Mom's health is holding steady.

Neighbors and a brother who are willing to run me to and from the garage to take the van in.

Dealerships that sell vehicles with a financing option my budget can handle right now, since the replacement of the van was an unexpected (and unpleasant) surprise.

So, while there may be some serious negatives going on, there are also some wonderful positives to balance it out. I may not be rich (yet), but money is coming in weekly from my clients, even if I have to chase one of them all over the internet to get it. The house and yard may need major work, but at least I have a roof over my head that no one can take away from me or sell out from under me.
And....COFFEE. ;-)
(0)

Lol. That was all 7 days ago. Wash, rinse, hang on line to dry-REPEAT! My favorite thing! Except-shower daily.
(1)

Gershun - better yet if the sheets have been hung outside to dry on a bright, sunny day with a stiff breeze. I miss my clotheslines. :-(
(6)

That was me last night. Ahhhhh! ☆★☆★☆★ sweet dreams.

Mzzz88
(1)

One of my favorite things is getting into bed when you'e just washed the sheets and had a shower.
(7)

Send: He has a lovely smile -- brilliant.
(2)

My favorite things? Loved riding in a boat, snorkeling and hanging out on the beach, all things I can no longer do because of the multiple herniated disks in my back and neck. So now I love to sing in church however I can't stand and lift my hands any more. It is harder to get with the spirit when you are in pain. So what do I love that I can do that doesn't cause pain? Cuddle with my dogs!!!!
(2)

well, he is just an awesome human being. Hope his fiancee is good to him. Or else we'll toss her to "the dogs"............hahaha................!!!

M-088
(0)

He has a great smile, waves from his car. He is just engaged to be married.
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter