Follow
Read More
Hot chocolate.
(0)

New favorite: pest control using lint rollers. Would it work for ants if they ever came back? Remembering something old-fashioned, they were called fly strips? Something sticky hung up to catch flies? Anyone remember?
(2)

Favorite things - the fragrance of evergreens in cooler weather. Wandering through a lot full of freshly cut evergreens ready for sale.

Hot chocolate after being outside in a blustery, windy day when the wind chills plunge down into the teens.

Waiting for gardening catalogues to start arriving right around Christmas.
(2)

I have a cockroach story. I was looking for something in my junk drawer and there was this huge cockroach in there. So I sprayed it but suddenly saw to my horror that it had babies. You know those lint removers that have the sticky strips you pull off. Well there were all these dead baby cockroaches stuck to it.

I had noticed occasionally a little bug on my kitchen counter but just killed it and moved on. Turns out it was baby cockroaches Yuck!
(2)

I don't think the NYC cockroaches fly (good lord I hope not), but they are at least one inch long and there were *hoards* of them in one place we lived. Fortunately we didn't live at that address very long. Once we moved and I found them in my suitcase and in the sofa.

I forgot to mention -- I'm with you on the book thing -- now I see why your userid is bookluvr! I love cats and once had two named Jingles and Boots, hence my userid.
(1)

jinglbts, I soooo agree about cockroaches - hideous Stinky things that actually Flies or Runs towards you - when you turn on the light or try to swat it. I'm curious about the NY roaches. Are they like at least 1 inches in length, thick black wings, and can fly very very fast (faster than my eyes can track it - until I feel something land on my clothes - and you see me jumping and waving my clothes trying to get it off.) I'm more afraid of roaches than spiders and indoor lizards (geckos).

Oh, my favorite things are books, books and books...
(3)

And count your blessings if you've never had any experience with cockroaches. Hideous things. [[[[blargh]]]]
(1)

I fixated on Central's mention of spiders, of which I used to be deathly afraid but long since left that particular phobia behind. OK, I love chocolate cake, cats (any cat), Beatrix Ost, my kids, my grandkids, Christmas, and style, in no particular order. Or perhaps in some order depending on my mood.

My mum died in 2001 and I think about her a lot, and sometimes despair of the way I treated her and the way she treated me -- that haunts me, I think. My dad died in 1997, a true alcoholic to the end. I don't know why I'm even saying this except that it's three o'clock in the morning and I'm a bit lonely. But my kids are coming for Christmas so that's three of my favourite things right there! :)
(0)

Hey jingle, this is supposed to be about your FAVORITE things, not creepy crawly things lol. I've never had any experience with roaches, but I'm right with you on the earwigs, any bug that can run away after you cut it in half is just too gross!
(2)

I hate cockroaches. Had them in New York (almost all of Manhattan is built on them and if they ever left, the city would crumble) and whenever I see one I run screaming from the room, which fortunately is NEVER as I don't live in NYC anymore. We do have occasional infestations of earwigs, which in my opinion look exactly like cockroaches, so when one of those appears, I just quietly leave the room, altho' the first one made me yelp. I really loathe anything that moves "en masse", so to speak -- in NY there were always masses of them (and I mean MASSES), hence my post-exposure phobia. [[[[shudder]]]
(0)

Oh yes. I like your post. My favorite things: my poodles, my husband, the first cup of coffee in the morning, a beautiful colorful fall day, the sound of a brook babbling, a good book, silence, a nice hot shower. Wow!
(3)

Can't help but comment on the topic of spiders. Gross, yuck! I do know that there is a spider spray you can buy. I think it's by Raid. I bought some last year when our garage had some, and I sprayed around the whole perimeter of it. It seemed to help so I did the same this year before they got a head start! Good luck with keeping any critters out! Thanks also for sharing - I love the variety of things shared on this site!
(2)

If you did mean manure I think my avatar's face says it all.
(3)

Lovely ideas Jude but I have two cats I adore and I live in a condo so I think I'd have an eviction notice on my door as quick as you could say "fire safety hazard"

When you say horse chestnuts are you talking manure? Please say no..........
(1)

??????????????????????????????????!!!

Jude, do the Health & Safety Executive know about you? Christ on a bike, girl. Mind you, I don't suppose you have much of a problem keeping the weeds down, either.
(4)

OOOh spiders I can't stand them. Now I don't know whether it works over there but over here our spiders don't seem to like horse chestnuts (we call them conkers real name and yes I did have to look this up Aesculus hippocastanum). I have one in each corner of every room and NO spiders. now they tell me it is coincidence but if I don't put them down the devils come in within days. They have to be fresh (i.e. you collect new ones each year)

As for ants when it comes to that time of year when the bloody things come into the house I paint a 2-4 inch band around the house using gasoline (no I don't smoke while I am doing it) Even when it seems to have dried the toxins kill the ants. We don't have pets though and you shouldn't use it if you do and I suspect it would be really unwise if you had a wooden framed house too. It may not be friendly for the environment but I am pretty green outside of this one labour so I figure its OK..ish Too late to tell me its not good for my health I have been doing it for 30 odd years
(1)

I don't know what kind of spider it was Garden. But in the bedroom......Arghh is all I can say. I went through my place and tore it apart one day sealing any holes where something could get in so how this little bugger got in is beyond me.

I hate to kill anything but spiders in my bedroom i just won't have.
(1)

Actually, the spider might help control any other little insects. But I too wouldn't be happy to find an ugly spider in my bedroom. Do you know what kind of spider it is?

And on the subject of insects, I've had an invasion of ants during this unseasonably warm weather. Much as I like it, I think a colder spell might be good for chasing the little buggers back into their burroughs. I do plan to give them a going away present though - some 20 mule team borax to take back to their friends to injest along with a little bit of sugar to make sure they don't just discard the borax.
(2)

Garden Artist ugh...........I just bought a basket for my bathroom stuff and found an ugly spider in my bedroom last night. Hmm.......now you have me thinking.
(1)

Jazzy, I loved baskets until I discovered that the ones from China can contain unwanted tiny guests.

One year I took home an empty basket after all the goodies donated by a client to the firm had been eaten. A few years later I found evidence of some kid of insect. They were about 1/16" long, brown, and looked like slimmed down fleas, narrow and elongated but without as many legs. After getting rid of the basket I still found more of them, in the basement, first floor and second half floor. They were worse in anything that was powdery chocolate.

I found them primarily in baskets. I think there were some larvae in the reeds that the Chinese used to make the baskets which were exported to the US, and during certain conditions they hatched and chomped on the reeds.

I still have some good basket that haven't been attacked; I don't know what the little munchers favorite choice of reed is, but light colored or bleached reeds seemed to be their favorites.

Your post reminded me that I'll need to tell my father to get rid of the basket quickly before the little buggers hatch and set up housekeeping.
(2)

Gladimhere, truly a wonderful surprise! Enjoy your tree.
GardenArtist, yes it is wonderful when people show kindness to the senior population. Really like the idea of baskets. Baskets would go over big in my area....hmm.
(1)

Basking in the comfort that others we don't even know are reaching out to help seniors, throughout the year and during the holidays:

For the 4th time that I can remember, someone paid for our meal the last time we were at our favorite restaurant. it's still a mystery every time it happens who the resident Santa is.

Meals on Wheels volunteers, who bring not only packaged meals but a short time of companionship, comfort, cheer, and other good things (not the Martha Stewart type of good things): cards from school children, gifts, and holiday greetings.

Today my father received such a basket, including a blanket from the local utility company as well as cards from members of a Girl Scout troup and some school children.

It's comforting to know that there are still people who care for others in their older years, as well as teachers who are teaching children how to develop that caring attitude.
(3)

Sendme2help: I loved reading your comments about Christmas and the full moon. It reminds me of a story I used to read to our 2 boys - Goodnight Moon. I used to think it was the cutest little book, and now I look forward to reading it to my grandchildren (someday)! Thanks again, and blessings to you and yours during this special season. P.S. I'll be looking up at the moon on Christmas Eve!
(2)

Never have dreams. 3-4 times a year I have a nightmare if I take any meds a doctor prescribes. No dreams can be ok!
But thanks, Cwillie, I will go to sleep now, because you said so!

Another favorite movie, with Diane Keaton, 'Because I Said So! Lol.

Thanks for looking after me.! I am okay.
(0)

Send, GO TO BED ....lol
Sweet Dreams.
(1)

Love going to bed when everyone else is just getting up. This time only.
Talk later!
(0)

All movies and series about ALASKA!
(1)

Goodnight Gershun!
(0)

Looking forward to the beauty of Christmas eve 12/25, when there will be a full moon that night. It is a rare occurence to have it fall on 12/25, a Christian holy day in which the birth of our Savior is celebrated traditionally, even though historical facts do not support that day occurred in December. Whatever day it was, I celebrate it. For those persons who do not celebrate due to another faith, it will still be a beautiful full moon night for you too!
(1)

Yeah, it was going to be a good night, but forgot to do my bedtime ritual. Up again, those dishes won't wash themselves.
(0)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter