Follow
Read More
GA, You can get in trouble for removing fallen branches, pine cones, needles, rocks, almost anything from a state park. However, check with the rangers, maybe the park wants to get rid of some fallen branches. Its an entire habitat and eco-system issue. Good luck!
(0)

I think searching for fallen branches after one of the big wind storms might be on the agenda.

Good thought about the branches; the places I would go are public parks, either state owned or county owned. I wouldn't want to get in trouble for cutting the branches.
(1)

Oh, if it is a forested area with restrictions then you would not want to risk breaking the law. If collecting from the ground has worked before, then have at it!!! Maybe you will be lucky to find a big branch that has fallen off a tree.
(1)

Never thought about the mold issue. I have collected pine cones from the ground, washed them in hot water and dried them at low temps in the oven, w/no mold issues. I used to gather pine needles from a few pines I had in the yard but the trees died.

Guess I need to consider adding a pine forest to my garden next year! I've always loved pines and evergreens anyway.
(1)

GA- that is awesome!! I don't recommend using needles from the ground due to possible mold. Use fresh needles from the tree branches. You can cut off sections then strip the needles off.
(1)

Sharyn, lo and behold the local supermarket chain is now carrying essential oils, or at least so the label says. I bought some Frankincense and Patchouli, with very, very mild fragrance, not the exotic aromas I anticipated.

I also bought some almond oil, at a reasonable price, but without that characteristic aroma. However, I at least have the oil; now all I need is to get the pine needles, and it's a great time to be outside amongst the pines collecting needles. I can only imagine how fresh and invigorating it will be.

However, I'm not thinking about the backache I'll have after bending down to get all these needles. Perhaps the easier way is to take a rake with me and just rake them up, then sort them out when I return from the woodsy areas.
(2)

I am sure others oils could be used...just one site I quickly looked at.
(0)

Sharyn, thanks for the information. I'm definitely going to try that. I love the smell of pine, and especially in the chilly weather. I'm wondering if any other carrier oil could produce the same effect. That's one of the few things I know about oils is that some of them are used as "carrier" oils for herbal and natural products. I also know they're expensive, unfortunately.

Maybe I can figure out how to buy the almonds and extract the oil.

Once I went shopping at an outdoor wreath demonstration - I think it was a special draw for a promotion at the adjacent strip mall, but it's been years ago. It was a brisk, chilly winter day but the area was scented by the aroma of fresh evergreen wreaths, and lots of them. As I remember, hot chocolate was being given to shoppers for free.

Even though the air was so cold and bitter, there was an excitement in the air b/c of the pines.

Reminds me that my junipers have a lot of berries that would look nice on wreaths; I'd better get going on that before the grapevines become too rigid.

Thanks for the info on making pine oil; that sounds like a nice project for the anticipated really bitter weather, perhaps after Christmas, when our weather segues into bitter cold.
(1)

GA, goog)e it, use almond oil and water with about 2-3 cups of pine needles.
(0)

That's another favorite thing...raking leaves in the dark...nice and peaceful...
(1)

GA, not an herbalists but I would think pine oil would or could be extracted from pine needles. Got me thinking...will have to research it.
(1)

Yes, Glad, it is Lavender and Twilight Jasmine...by Dial of all things. !! I will have to Google LUSH soaps too...I love soap...soap soap soap...love it.....when people ask me what I want for Christmas I usually tell them coffee or soap...they think I'm joking...NOT....Jude..Black Pepper soap? hmmm..sounds interesting.... Yes, I am afraid of using lye...it seems like it would be harsh to handle...and given my luck with things sometimes, I don't know about making my own...but I sure do love soap.

I ended up going out into the yard and raked a bunch more leaves. We almost don't have any left in the trees now..but the leaf sucker man usually comes to our neighborhood on Mondays and it's about time for him, so I wanted to get as many to the curb as possible so then all that will be left is the final winter tweaking...
(1)

Just Googled LUSH soap and found there are stores selling it not that far away from me. The names of the soaps are really unusual (Parsley Porridge, Reindeer soaps?) but one really caught my eye:

Karma soap, a spicy patchouli with lemongrass, orange oil and pine oil.

Everytime I read about one of these exotic soaps I make a resolution to study herbal creations and start making my own soap. The only thing that really holds me back is that to the best of my knowledge soaps are made with lye, which I really don't want to deal with.

Maybe trying lotions would be better; the fragrance is still there. And on that subject, has anyone ever used coconut or ginger lotions?

I wonder how one extracts oil from pine? From the pine cones or from the trees? Any herbalists here?
(1)

Molton Browns black pepper soap, but I love LUSH soaps which Im not sure you get in the USA as you walk past their shop the smell emanates mmmmm.
(1)

Dial soap lavender and jasmine?
(2)

Home made Chili on a cold rainy day when the wind is blowing leaves all over the neighborhood.

Snuggled in a warm blanket reading a good book with my cat sleeping on the back of the couch by my head and my dog snuggled at my feet.
(4)

soap
(1)

Hot water for shower, ice water for drinking. Grrr! Hot water has been luke warm, adjusted water heater to warm it up. Next time I will do it with my glasses on the first time, had turned the temp the wrong direction.

And ice water, supposedly, my ice maker was working, according to my contractor two months ago. Don't know how that is possible, does not appear plumbing was even extended to it. Grrrr!

Maybe I should be on pet peeves.
(1)

GA...I've always wanted to pet a lion...and even hug one...just seems like they would be so cozy and fluffy...also that giant bear...Bart...what a beauty! I know it's not recommended to do those kinds of things...but they sure LOOK cuddly anyway..
(1)

Jude, as I read your post I began to hum La Marseillaise and thought Delacroix's famous painting Liberty Leading the People with that famous upraised arm holding the French flag. Yes, Vive la France!
(3)

The Islamic state seriously do not understand the French. Do they honestly think a country who withstood Nazi occupation and yet organised resistance against them will flounder under the oppression of this group? They may falter but they will never flounder. Vive la France
(2)

I'm always moved, sometimes to tears, when reading about people who extend their support to those in need. This time it's the French helping the people who escaped the ISIS massacre yesterday by opening their homes to them, as well as the Americans who are also extending hospitality to stranded French here in the US.

Some people can be so open and generous in times of great need.
(4)

A grand dog? That's so cute! I wish the feral cats would let me pet them; they either adopt a posture of caution and scurry away, or turn up their noses and strut away as if they were haute couture fashion models and I'm not good enough for them.

I'd love to pet that magnificent lion in Hope's avatar - what a mane! Some of the wildlife shows feature "chuffing" lions - it's not a purr but it is amusing.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever made a tape of purring cats and played it for people with dementia? It's not as varied as music, which is therapeutic, but purring cats have their own way of providing relaxation.

BTW, has anyone ever given dogs a soft neck rub, just gently stroking/massaging their necks? I've done that a few times, including to a relative's Rottweiler. He loved it! If I stopped he'd nudge up against me and kind of softly snort, as if muttering: More! More!
(2)

It sure is Pamzim....my little pup is laying across my legs now and she feels like a cozy heating pad on those shoe muscles...im getting pretty relaxed right about now. . :)
(2)

OMG Hope those are awesome! And I also love cats purring. Even my ferals will let me stroke them, and purr when I feed them. But I also love when we have the granddog and she snuggles up in bed. She loves to lay across my throat and snuggle into my neck. Its heaven after a bad day
(1)

GA...for sure. .I love the soothing sound of a kitty purring. One of my rescue babies kind of snorts when she breathes. .she was born that way. .her thing at night is to let me get settled for the night and curl up on my back. ..and snort all night long. ...ice gotten used to it. .now I can't sleep without her.

Also those little Stouffer's gingerbread iced cookies. ..I saw a bag today and decided to treat myself. ..they sure are good. ..I've already been in the bag but about to get me a cup of hot coffee to go with them
(0)

GSA, your post brought back such vivid memories....of either or both of my 2(long deceased) loving cats crawling up onto my lap, up my arm, or snuggling around my neck, falling asleep on my legs and just being loving kitties.

I love the sound of a cat purring - I think it's one of the most therapeutic and relaxing sounds I've ever heard....like waves lapping rhythmically on a sandy beach.

Last week one of the neighbor's cats visited my father's house on its regular neighborhood strolls, and came up to say hello. It was sooo friendly, going through all the motions cats do when they want to be petted, crouching down and pointing their rear ends up in the air, snuggling along my ankles, laying down for a tummy rub.... those few moments were the perfect soothing respite after the usual hassle of dodging potential Indy 500 drivers practicing on the freeways.
(2)

Kitty walking up my body to lie on my chest, stick his nose in my ear and purr.
(2)

Gershin- the NH my dad was at had a female resident (memory care) who would ask you for cigarette. The staff took her outside a couple time s a day to smoke her cigarette.
(0)

A cup of coffee with Bailey's added. Yum. My Mom was so cute. She just loved Bailey's. I bought a bottle for her and the nursing home kept it at the desk and offered my Mom a little tiny glass occasionally to help her sleep.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter