Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
1 2 3
In the U.S.A., what you say can and will be used against you.
(0)

Gershun I guess I feel strongly about this particular topic because a) my natural mum was a German Jewess and b) I taught the holocaust and all its issues including the issues of a country being 'ready' for dramatic change after the crippling reparations after WW1 (not forgetting that about 3/4 million died from flu and starvation) and the vast use of propaganda that existed and to some extent still exists around the issue. AND GA thanks for the Lebensborn yes he used that and it was shameful to both mother and to child who had to live with the stigma of their parenthood later.

All I want is that people can, while they are able make decisions about their end of life care and their choice of death in the event their circumstances are such that THEY no longer want to continue, even though at that stage they may not be able to articulate that.

I sure as heck don't want someone else telling my family they can make that decision on my behalf and I sure as heck don't want decisions about end of life care being generalised within a policy. For me one's end of life choice are as personal and individual as the person who holds them and they should stay that way. I just want them honoured.
(2)

Well said, Falcon. I also think it should be an individual choice.
(1)

I understand that Falcon and thats why I prefaced my remark with "No offense"
I also feel that people should have a choice but I get irritated whenever this subject comes up and certain people go off the deep end about it.

Hitler was insane. I hate it when we are having a conversation about the here and now and how we would like things to change and people start comparing doctors giving morphine to sick, elderly people who have no hope of coming out of their condition to the nazi's trying to wipe out a race. It just aggravates me.
(0)

Hitler was democratically elected in a country with a constitution. That's what is scary.
(2)

Poor old democracy - we do expect an awful lot of it. Afghanistan is a democracy. So is Iraq. In Algeria, about twenty years ago, after years of horrible internal conflict, the UN moved heaven and earth to get a democratic election set up and then was so horrified by the outcome that they cancelled that one and told the people if they were going to be silly they'd have to do it again. As the African nations moved over to the system there was a standing joke in diplomatic circles that democracy was defined as 'one man, one vote, once.' And even in its modern home town, so to speak: my son did his degree thesis on democracy in America, and his (American) cousin asked drily "Did he find any?"

There still isn't a better system, it's just that people aren't reliably good at using it; and to be fair that's usually because they have more pressing matters on their minds than politics - such as feeding their families that day, or not getting blown up. We could do with a neutral authority with global reach and the powers to step in and bang heads together. Don't think we'll find one this century, or next.
(1)

It's very well to read about the very caring people contributing articles here about the high quality of care they showered on their kin.
Not only that they are caring but they must also be financially well off or have other means to sustain this care.
Now, I believe that the vast majority may not be that lucky.
And it's no walk in the park if one is elderly, immobile, sickly and needs constant care 24/7, especially if the condition is permanent - there's no quality of life, is there?
This is so even if one is staying with one's own kin because nowadays, everybody has to work to have enough to live by.
So, who will stay in the house to look after the elderly, sick and immobile?
It's also a well known fact such folks who ended up in facilities like elderly care homes were often badly neglected or even abused.
Even in the UK or the USA.
So, for many folks that choice is very stark although it's a fact of life.
I also understand that there are many in the US who feel happy that they have with them a ready supply of sleeping pills so that when their time comes, they have a choice.
(1)

Yes. And suicide is legal, of course, which makes it much simpler for everyone.

But it's like hanging on to the guy rope of a hot air balloon that's slipped its moorings. At what point do you let go? I assume the extreme difficulty of picking your moment is the main reason there isn't a great deal more of it about.
(1)

Sue the hot air balloon manufacturer, the mooring mfr, the park where the mooring stood, the rope mfr, and your knot-tyer instructor. THEN let go.
(1)

I've been on Medical Assistance and my kids have been on food stamps. So does that make me more qualified to offer my opinion, I don't think so. Maybe the fact that I was able by my own initiative should matter more (and no, givernment did not build my success, they were content to keep me down). I've also been suicidal and rushed to emergency room. And I have a parent who suffered a dread disease for almost 10 yrs, and I did visit them in lousy NH, it was no fun but yes I'm glad they were in a facility (and it cost then a fortune that I could have inherited if they had done "Medicaid Planning Secrets"). And guess what my parent ' s uncle was imprisoned in a concentration camp by the Nazi "democracy" and tortured. Iraq, Afghanistan and much of Africa are primarily Islamic peoples, so it's no wonder "democracy" was a farce with basically religious men being elected. There are way too many variables to consider, so if you want to kill yourself go ahead, it's not that hard (just stop eating). But the minute it becomes the preferred way to die, look out, the political geniuses that brought folks like Hitler to power, will size the opportunity to advance their evil agendas.
(1)

Gershun hun no offence taken at al me dear just explaining my rationale for joining in. Mallory couldn't agree more - thats why I don't want it to be part of any policy - individuality seems to be the only thing we have left. Or do we?!!!!
(0)

I hope we can just all respect each other's rights and responsibilities, which of course would include the rights of LDS, non-extrene Muslims, Catholics, Maronites, Evangelicals, Mennonites, Amish, and a host of minority ethnic/religious groups who are horrified by the way the world is becoming so anti-Orthodox.
(0)

And I have a parent who suffered a dread disease for almost 10 yrs, and I did visit them in lousy NH, it was no fun but yes I'm glad they were in a facility (and it cost then a fortune that I could have inherited if they had done "Medicaid Planning Secrets"). - End of quote

Now, what'll happen if your "fortune" runs out?
Have them dumped onto the streets?
(0)

Hitler was democratically elected in a country with a constitution. That's what is scary. - End of quote
Hitler was not democratically elected.
His "Brown Shirted" troopers took over the Chancery.
There was nothing the truly elected government could do about it.
(0)

Slightly more undemocratic than that Damocles. He laid the 'Reichstag fire' at the doors of the communist and it was only much later that it was discovered that this was in all probability not t the case - the poor man who was accredited as the fire starter was Dutch, linked to communists but probably paid for by the Nazis. In fact Goerring did such a great job of propaganda it was amazing Goebbels eventually got the job of minister for propaganda. AND Hitler's timing was perfect ...just before the elections .... oooh and he 'luckily' had a whole host of people that could suppress the imminent 'Civil War' the Bolsheviks were 'planning' but this whole thread is not about Nazism OR SHOULDN'T BE

We have to be mindful ...absolutely ....I will always be profoundly supportive of the lest we ever forget ideology for it could happen again - lets be very clear about that. One only has to look at Rwanda, Cambodia, Kosovo to see that man can still enact atrocities against man.

But that wasn't what was asked and it was why I said it MUST NEVER become a political football, it should NEVER be cemented into a policy, It must sit within the protection of the Human Rights of the individual....a right to choose at what point one's life ends is not unreasonable AS LONG AS YOUR options are not unreasonable. If for example you want to to be able to die at a specific point then that is fine (in my opinion (ONLY MY OPINION) the choice of how you die is likely to become critical though. Starvation of all nutrients is fastest yes but not without issues. SO even if they allow us to choose when we de they will still get hung up on the how.
(0)

It might be timely to bear in mind that Hitler went unchallenged for a considerable time because he was so obviously preposterous that the constitutional establishment assumed that the angry and frightened electorate would come to its senses. Oops.

Moral: before you vote, check what you're voting for.
(3)

1 2 3
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter