Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
1 2 3 4
Risengrot traditionally served with a bit of half and half, a pat of butter and cinnamon and sugar. No raisins necessary or even allowed.

Takes about an hour and a half in a double boiler to prevent milk from scorching.
(2)

Thanks glad~I wondered what that white thin sauce was that Mother put in it and it was either milk or half and Half.Mom always made it,so I didn't know,but the way you make it ,sounds like how we had it too ,but with raisins.Finding the almond was always fun until my Nephew started cheating and looked for it,then pretended he got it and that took out all the fun.Mom always just called it the rice dish,so I never knew the name of it.
And Send~I Love rice pudding and Tapioca.It's SO smooth,comforting to me.
(3)

Anyone ever have Forcemeat? No
kidding - that’s what it’s called.

I think might be a UK thing. Mainly, because it was my dads idea that my mom start making it - he presented his mothers recipe, she was London born and his dad was from The Shetland Islands.

Forcemeat is a kind of stuffing. But it’s not loose or fluffy - almost more the consistency of a really, really thick paste. It’s packed inside the bird and I guess the magic of it is that when you slice the turkey the forcemeat stays together and slices right along.

Unfortunatly - there was no magic to be had in the several years my mother attempted forcemeat. Whether by accident or - l suspect sabotage on my mother’s behalf- the forcemeat would fall apart and crumble away. My father would practically have an aneurism trying to slice the perfect held together slice. Eventually, he’d start swearing... yeah, always a good time - holidays at our house.

BUT. Making matters worse - the stuff was heinous. Really awful. Personally, I don’t even like regular stuffing - but God forbid, if my dad did manage to slice you up the perfect held together slice of turkey and forcemeat - then you better damn well eat it.

The pressure and punishment of forcemeat was more than my kid psyche could take! So, no - no forcemeat - or wire hangers - EVER!!!
(3)

It's always fun googling the stuff you guys mention :)
The forcemeat stuffing recipes I've found all sounded like something you would have to grow up with to love - the addition of livers, red wine, odd seasonings would not be appealing to me!
Risengrot recipes sound like the rice pudding my mom used to make regularly, sometimes in a double boiler but most often in a casserole in the oven. Being a picky child I wouldn't eat it if mom put in raisins, but I liked the cinnamon sugar topping.

Happy Turkey Day everyone🦃🍗
(4)

Reinstating deviled eggs in my Thanksgiving menu...Martha Stewart I am not!

Here, have some!
(2)

Yum, I love devilled eggs!
(1)

Here, have some more!
That is Chili powder, not paprika.

Hubs is not hungry. I am really hungry.
(1)

fruitcake ,

what the hell is wrong with people ? it seems every bite blows worse than the last .
(2)

OK I'll admit it, I LIKE fruitcake. But not the awful stuff that gets sold in 99% of the grocery stores, it has to be soft and boozy and nutty and fruity, preferably with a nice marzipan icing on top.
(7)

Cwillie: My mother and my sister make fantastic fruitcake, it tastes like you said.

Captain: I used to be that way with fruitcake, then I had my sisters and my mothers---What a difference. It is that good when it's prepared right.

And call me a weirdo, I love canned cranberry sauce that slides out of the can, not the sauce that is all broken up in small fruit, etc.

But I do agree with some of the others regarding mincemeat: Been there, tried it and will never do it again.
(3)

When it comes to xmas foods, I am rather picky here: I like shortbread cookies but they can't be way too thick and it's got to be like sugar cookies; thin with lots of frosting. The thick shortbread tastes like all flour to me. I am glad that mom doesn't make plum pudding with the hard sauce anymore. (She used to do it during the few years of courting my father and the first couple of years when she was married to him) It just doesn't taste that good to me. I am still in surprise whenever I see Bob Cratchit and his family get excited over it in "A Christmas Carol." If I was there, I would bring frosted sugar cookies to them.
(1)

My parents always served the wine (?) Cold Duck at holidays. Thanksgiving and Christmas....everybody got a glass of Cold Duck at the table. Even as kids we were allowed to have a very small amount. Ick! Do they even sell that anymore??
(1)

Isn't plum pudding the one that gets ignite? One Xmas my father's arm went up in flames.
(4)

Riverdale 42: Yes.
Luckily my father's arm did not go up in flames
(0)

Send - I love deviled eggs! Made them for my little holiday today. 😃

Monica - Cold Duck!! Woooo - that took me back to my childhood! Yes, the celebratory beverage of Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Yucky, indeed.

Now I am having a memory of the distinctive glassware we used for the Cold Duck. Haven’t seen anything like it since. Maybe I’ll scrounge around on eBay tonite.....

Thank you for the flashback!
(3)

Boiled Brussels Sprouts. Little grey brains that taste terrible.

Roasted ones are yummy, but upset my digestion, so I just leave them for the rest of the family.
(3)

We had roasted brussel sprouts today. I don't eat turkey so I put the cranberry sauce from Whole Foods on them. My 20 month old grandson refused almost everything but a little turkey. Wouldn't even go for the pumpkin pie with whipped cream. How I wish I had his appetite.
(2)

Our holiday drink was always egg nog. Pretty sure the adults may spiked their egg nog. As a kid.....that first glass around thanksgiving signaled the start of the holidays. And now I can’t stand the stuff! I bought some when my daughter was a baby for old times sake but no one drank it. It too is a thing of the past! And I don’t miss it at all. I don’t think anyone in my husband’s side drinks it either because they’ve never served it in the 20 years I’ve been part of the family.

The last 2 years my holiday drink was a shot or 2 of Smirnoff peppermint twist mixed mixed with a mug of hot chocolate. This Smirnoff stuff is pretty weak, low alcohol content which is good if you are a lightweight like me, I rarely drink. But I just had to try this peppermint vodka 2 years ago and got hooked. We even got fancy and threw in some frangelico & Godiva White chocolate liquor last year & all the adults had “adult hot chocolate” in Christmas Eve. Unfortunately (or may not) I made my first “adult” hot chocolate of the season last week and found it way too sweet.....and I have no desire to make another cup so these 2 bottles of Smirnoff peppermint twist I’ve been hoarding all year might just go to waste.
(1)

Mmmmm! Starbucks Eggnog Lattes always signal Holiday Time for me. Made with real eggnog I’m sure there are a zillion calories in each grande’ red cup. But I have no will power when it comes to these.

These and Haagen Daz Holiday
Peppermint ice cream - the one they only do this time of year. Heaven.
(3)

Riverdale: I have a 3 1/2 year old step niece that gobbled down the cranberries, ate a little turkey and had to be forced to eat mashed potatoes today. If she didn't eat her entire very small serving of mashed potatoes, she would not get any chocolate cake (She LOVES chocolate cake). She wanted chocolate cake so she ate the mashed potatoes. She wasn't thrilled about the MP, but loved the chocolate cake.

Sorry to hear about your dad's mishap with the plum pudding.
(0)

I agree with Isthisreallyreal on the yams. The canned yams are not at all like fresh baked yams or sweet potatoes. Those are like dessert to me! Yum!

No canned cranberry sauce for me. I do like real cranberry sauce made with whole fruit.

I never could bring myself to taste the canned sauce. It just looks weird.
(2)

Pumpkin Pie. I just don’t like it. I ate it every year to be polite.
Midnight Mass - can’t stay awake that long anymore.
(1)

My dad always wanted mashed turnips (the yellow kind) for Thanksgiving dinner, so we always had that, plus squash and mashed potatoes. I think it's a New England thing. After my dad passed away, no one in our family has ever again had turnips for a holiday dinner. We once had Thanksgiving at the home of an aunt and uncle who grew up in the midwest and I had candied yams, marshmallows on top, for first time. I prayed never again!
(1)

" yams and marshmallows "
that oughtta be final meal fare for death row convicts .
bletttch !!
(0)

Although I didn't grow up in MN nor am of Swedish heritage (my hubs is) every holiday there was... lutefisk. All lutefisk should be packed into a rocket and launched at North Korea and ISIS. Blech. Then in a close second place: fruitcake. Launch that also. Back in the 60s and 70s my Aunt made it using that horrid genuine simulated citron that seemed to be concocted in a chemical factory and probably caused a lot of cancer and insanity. Also, many comments about eggnog but just want to say homemade eggnog is incredible and nothing like the slime sold pre-made.
(2)

No lutefisk in my memory. Not many care for it. But, Sons of Norway clubs have a lutefisk dinner every holiday season.

What we did have was herring in sour cream. I don't know how close that is to lutefisk. Mom loved the herring, I to enjoyed it. But, haven't had it for a limited ng time. Mom's hubby like the pickled herring.

Just a link to an interesting article on lutefisk.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2016/12/15/505389094/whats-a-holiday-without-lutefisk-and-a-little-white-lye
(2)

What a waste of sour cream! Uggg - herring?

To be fair - I don’t like fish of any type. Never have. Every now and then I try it. People always say “Oh, but you just haven’t had it cooked correctly”. So, I try it. Nope. It’s always just tastes so.... fishy.
(1)

yea , fire that fruitcake into the sun . dont want to take any chances of it spreading .
(1)

the jello with fruit cocktail .
also my sisters used to make salad dressing with mayo and sugar . pretty lame .
worse was the homemade pancake syrup -- sugar / water boiled .

im not meaning to fuss . we were pretty poor and just doing the best we could but some of that crap was pretty skus - ted .
(0)

Captain,

Those were old recipes. I don’t think people some people were very creative with cooking. Some food that doesn’t cost a lot done by creative cooks is actually delicious. My grandma had very limited funds but everything she made was absolutely fantastic.

I do hate those stupid cooking contest shows on Food TV where they give weird ingredients and hardly any time to cook a meal and chefs judge the meal afterwards.

I prefer watching cooking shows on PBS that are instructional shows made with proper ingredients and everyone can learn something and enjoy the show. The other goofy shows are only entertainment. No one is going to cook with ridiculous ingredients.
(0)

1 2 3 4
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter