Follow
Read More
Oh! oh! oh! I found some pumpkin pie to go with the ice cream... pumpkin is a vegetable 😉
(2)

I hope you feel better soon, cwille.
(0)

I'm thinking ice cream sounds good LOL
(who needs balance)
(4)

Feel better soon, Cwillie.
We add fettucini or large elbow mac to our chicken and broth, always.
(1)

I picked through a pot of chicken bones I'd cooked for broth but that can't really be considered dinner, I should find something to balance things out but I'm still not feeling 100% from whatever virus the kids gave me and haven't got much of an appetite and even less desire to cook. (I tested again for covid because I have almost every symptom currently listed but it's still negative🤷🏻‍♀️)
(5)

Eggplant casserole
(1)

Made 4 pans of breakfast casserole for the high school graduates and football team members that stayed overnight in tents at the lake. Grand-nephew says there isn't a crumb left and he doesn't expect any leftovers from the chicken and dressing casseroles I left for dinner either. They still have about half the hamburgers and hot dogs (and associated goodies) left (from after last night's graduation) so he thinks they're okay on eats.

I'm available if needed in my semi-attached one room cottage behind the lake "house" common rooom (open kitchen and large table with TVs and game system, two baths on one end and a laundry/storage room) but the graduate is hosting. It's perfect for a party and a big reason I invested in this place. The fun and memories are worth the effort. First Sunday in July is a family reunion- the first since my parents stopped hosting one about 20 years ago. I don't have my parent's home with its big shade trees but I will have shade from a few tents and pavilions. By the time the pecan trees are big enough to shade everything well I will probably be too old to host but maybe someone will keep it going.

BTW; it was fun watching the foster son and two older grand-nephews making hamburger patties out of 30 lbs of fresh ground sirloin Friday night! They made 122 patties. I figure what isn't eaten at the party can be put in the freezer and enjoyed later this summer.
(3)

TNT, that cauliflower sounds delicious. We enjoy it baked and tossed in Buffalo hot sauce as an appetizer, it is so yummy you can make a meal of it.

Strawberry shortcake!!!!! YUMMO!!!!!!
(3)

Baked Cauliflower: a head of cauliflower cut into bit sized pieces then covered with a yogurt, parmesan and cheddar cheese, minced garlic and onions sauce and baked in the oven for about 30 minutes. A little pepper added on top while it cools a bit. Then I pig out - eating about half while the boys are enjoying burgers (from the grill along with some corn cobs) and golden fries (deep fryer). We will all enjoy the strawberry shortcake with fresh strawberries from a local farm; even some strawberry milkshakes! Love having one boy on the grill and another manning the fryer.
(4)

Spinach lasagna and salad.
(3)

I have a chicken roasting with potatoes and carrots. I am going to make a salad in just a few minutes.

Enjoy dinner, everyone!
(4)

I have 2 types of onions, sour cream, bacon... what’s that bag in the freezer? We’re having pierogi!
(5)

Veggie soup and salad.
(2)

Recently tried some shelf stable milk - and it does taste as well as "real" milk on cereal or a glass with a piece of cake. It costs about twice as much as "normal" refrigerated milk but it has the same calories and sodium content and works well for an "emergency" backup. I've placed a cartoon in the back of the fridge to stay cold.

I'm adding a couple of gallons worth to my rainy day pantry; figure I can rotate that much through in a year or less. I do not trust the stability of cartoon storage for longer term so I'll stick with the canned evaporated milk for longer term cooking milk.
(2)

ITRR,

I use red wine vinegar in salads too. I do like it in salad dressing. My glaze was, eh…not great.
(1)

Golden,

I do use a fruit based pepper jelly, either peach or pineapple. Unless I find a fool proof glaze recipe I am going to go back to my pepper jelly that I buy at the farmers market.

Apricot on lamb sounds amazing! My favorite lamb dishes are from our Greek festival. Oh my gosh, so delicious!
(1)

I just sprinkle a lot of rosemary and garlic. For me both flavours really work with pork and it's easy and always on hand.

I once did a lamb roast with an apricot glaze which was great. I can see the pepper jelly would be good on pork. I tend to buy extra of things I can't get easily in the supermarket.
(0)

ITRR,

I could use your help! This is the second time I’ve screwed up my pork loin. Oh well…

Maybe, I shouldn’t have tried to cook this evening, kind of bummed out by a few things and my heart wasn’t in it.

I love to cook and I am a pretty good cook but I goofed this time.

I can’t seem to find a glaze that works. The other one didn’t even stick to the loin. This one didn’t taste the way I wanted it to.

Next time I go to the farmers market I’ll be buying 6 jars of my favorite pepper jelly because that makes a great glaze for my pork loin.

Thanks for your suggestions. They sound better than what I cooked! LOL 😆
(1)

Need, I haven't tried that combo, however, I am thinking it would be good. I use red wine vinegar as my acid for dressings and it sweetens just great.

I was wondering if pineapple, crushed maybe, would be a good sweetener with red wine vinegar on pork, maybe apple sauce or both, hmmm, love both with pork, now I will need to try this idea.
(1)

I saw a glaze recipe that has balsamic vinegar in it which I don’t have. I looked up a substitute for it and saw that if I used red wine vinegar with maple syrup it would work. Has anyone tried this as a substitute for balsamic vinegar?
(0)

Does anyone else get bored with their own cooking at times? I do!

I am getting ready to bake a pork tenderloin. The last time I made it I wasn’t satisfied with the glaze that I made for it. It was a honey mustard glaze that looked good but for some reason it came out kind of bland.

I usually glaze my tenderloin with pepper jelly from a vendor that I love at my farmers market. I’m out of the pepper jelly right now. It comes out delicious when I use the pepper jelly.

Does anyone have a favorite recipe for a glaze suitable for a pork tenderloin?
(0)

It’s spring. Allergies are horrible. I’m not even hungry but I’m thinking of a spicy bowl of gumbo at a nearby restaurant to clear my sinuses! I may even stash some ‘Slap ya Mama!’ seasoning in my purse! LOL 😆 I think that I am growing immune to Tabasco!
(2)

Recall on Gold Medal flour due to a potential salmonella contamination.

I don’t use Gold Medal. I buy King Arthur flour.
(4)

My grandfather was a wonderful gardener. I loved helping him in the garden when I was a child. I always thought the purple eggplants were so pretty in the garden.

My grandmother never did any gardening. She did her needlework, crocheting and knitting, etc.
(1)

Send,

Order take out!

I guess I am so accustomed to bread pudding that I don’t even think of eating rice pudding. My husband would think that I was insane if I served rice pudding. LOL 😆

I don’t cook chili. I do love it. I don’t really have a preference on beans or no beans but my friends in Texas would never eat it with beans!

I keep saying that I want to try making Chili. I probably wouldn’t put beans in it.

Our favorite beans in New Orleans are red beans and rice. Preferably Camellia Brand or Blue Runner as they are local brands.

Now, if you travel to Cajun Country, such as Lafayette, Louisiana, you will find that they enjoy white beans and rice. (Great Northern or navy)

I love all kinds of beans, black beans, white beans, Lima beans, pinto and red beans. Also, lentils and split peas. It’s funny, I only eat black eyed peas on New Year’s Day.
(2)

Tonight, I could not possibly cook with gardening dirt under my fingernails.
(3)

NHWM,
Can I please pull your leg some more about the rice pudding?
You spoke with such authority about what people in New Orleans do not eat,
that it struck me as a bit funny.

It's great to be enthusiastic about your home town, and you are!

So, in all humility, I offer you this:

Authentic Italian Rice Pudding
Let Cooking Italian with Joe show you how to make my grandmother's authentic Italian world's best rice pudding! Truly smooth and silky texture that fills your taste buds with yum. Garnish with chopped nuts, cinnamon, and whipped cream.

Maybe put bread in it when you cook it for your dH. Lol.

However, you are right to be proud. New Orleans is famous for the best food anywhere!

BTW, do you put beans, or no beans in your Chili? And, do you use steak?
Really asking, not fighting.
(2)

cw,

Oh, I edited my post just before your response. Sorry! I love reading food blogs too.

I figured that you were joking but I started thinking about all of the different opinions on food. It is amazing how different we all cook and eat.

My husband has a coworker who came to our home for dinner once. I made coffee after dinner. Well, coffee and chicory. He didn’t drink it. He said that he could not get used to chicory. He only drank pure coffee. Poor guy was going to get coffee from McDonald’s! 😆 because he didn’t want to drink the coffee and chicory.

I do drink our local coffee and chicory but I also drink coffee without chicory.

I was bored one day and looked up cities with the best and worst food. It was so funny! Apparently, we all have different tastes.
(1)

I've read enough food blogs to know that beans or no beans in chili and who has the most authentic bbq are fighting topics NHWM.
And I was just pulling your leg about the bread and rice puddings, the way you worded your reply struck me as funny 😁
(2)

cw,

Of course, people can make and eat both rice and bread pudding, but rice pudding just isn’t a thing here at all.

We are so fond of bread pudding that we wouldn’t give rice pudding a second thought.

Variety is the spice of life. It’s great if people enjoy both rice and bread pudding.

I am a purist about my coffee though. I hate different flavors. I also hate sugar in my coffee. You won’t catch me ordering a pumpkin latte! LOL
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter