Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
I find it odd that we don’t eat rice pudding here because we grow rice.

You will never see rice pudding on any New Orleans restaurant menus or served in our homes.

Bread pudding is very popular and delicious!

Food is very regional. The food in northern Louisiana is nothing like the food here in New Orleans. They are known for ‘meat pies.’ We don’t cook meat pies in the southern part of the state.

If you visit Natchitoches, Louisiana you will see meat pies everywhere! They filmed Steel Magnolias in Natchitoches, Louisiana.

Speaking of rice, look at how sushi became popular everywhere! I could never get my mom to try it. LOL 😆 She totally grossed out when she saw it.
(2)

LOL BurntCaregiver, I thought the same thing as you about rice and bread pudding, liking one doesn't exclude liking (and making) the other.
(1)

@Riverdale

Cool that you're learning Greek. I can't speak it but I am Italian-speaking. I took Hebrew also and am getting back to that. I'm really starting to think I'd like to relocate to Israel.
I'm just going to throw this out there. I love both bread and rice pudding.
(3)

River,

I have never had rice pudding. We make bread pudding here in New Orleans.
(1)

Burnt, I am half Greek on my fathers side. I love all things Greek too. My favorite pastry is Galaktoboureko. I just made my grandfather's recipe for rice pudding a week ago for friends who came over. I grew up speaking it some from hearing my father and being around my grandmother but I couldn't read or write it so now I am taking an online course with a woman in Athens. It's tough at this age to learn so much but it is slowly getting easier. I also did alot of the dancing growing up.
(3)

Burnt,

The Greek church puts on our Greek fest too. It’s a lucrative fundraiser for them.

I tour the Greek cathedral every year at the festival. It is beautiful. I have gone to a service there. I couldn’t understand any of it because the priest spoke in greek. I did say the Our Father prayer because that was said in English. The singing was magnificent.

I remember as a child the Catholic Mass was said in Latin. They changed it to English later.

I love all of the Greek pastries. I buy a box with a dozen different pastries and share them with everyone so I only eat a couple of them. It would be easy to eat a ton of them though because they are so delicious!
(2)

@Need

We have a nice Greek festival in the town I grew up in. The church puts it on. There really aren't Greek people in this area anymore though. The Italians, Jews, Portugeuse and actual Spanish left too. I cannot state the reason for such an exodus because I'll get cancelled if I say so.
The houses of worship for these groups remain and the members still keep an active cultural community through their churches here. They also host the cultural celebrations like our Greek and Italian festival. They don't live here anymore and the spectacular restaurants they used to operate here aren't around anymore either.
I cook the Greek food because I love it. Not too often because I've finally taken the weight off I put on from Covid and my years of miserable servitude living in my mother's house.
My favorite pastry of course are loukoumades. Those pastries that look like donut holes that are fried and coated in honey and nuts. My son and I had a contest of who could eat more of them. I won that.
@golden
I'll find where Julia said about half the recipes in 'The Joy Of Cooking' not even being tested. It may be in one of the forwards of a cookbook.
(3)

I love Julia Child. Such a great person. So was her husband. They were well matched!
(2)

❤️🙂

“If there’s a recipe for success in life, it starts with picking the right ingredients.“
(3)

Burnt,

We do have great food. We have everything from red beans and rice to gourmet dishes!

Do you cook moussaka? I love it! Spanakopita? Greek salad is awesome! The lamb is my favorite! They do a wonderful job with lamb at our Greek fest.

The pastries are to die for! I know all of the pastry ingredients now but when the festival first opened many years ago and I had questions about them, the women who served them couldn’t answer me because they only spoke Greek! LOL

I will order the wine but I don’t do the shots of ouzo! I do love watching the Greek men dance after downing a few shots! Hahaha 🤣

Look it up online, it’s a great Greek festival. gfno.com
(4)

burnt - that's interesting. I would like to see a reference to that information. My information is different.

(after her husbands suicide) Rombauer's children, Marion Rombauer Becker and Edgar Roderick ("Put") Rombauer, Jr.,[4] encouraged her to compile her recipes and thoughts on cooking to help her cope with her loss. Rombauer spent much of the summer of 1930 in Michigan, creating the first drafts that would later become Joy of Cooking.

The Joy of Cooking became a bestseller originally due to its readability for the middle classes and Rombauer's unique style. Her recipes were designed specifically for middle-class people doing most of their own cooking for their family. She specifically tested and practiced the recipes to ensure they could be produced easily in a relatively brief period of time without much complication

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joy_of_Cooking

Also

Julia Child learned to cook from The Joy of Cooking and Gourmet magazine. She enjoyed "Mrs. Joy's Book" and believed it taught her the basic principles of cooking.

Child, Julia (2006). My Life in France. New York: Knopf. pp. 126. ISBN 1400043468.
(2)

@Need

Yes, I cook Greek food too. In my opinion New Orleans has the best cuisine in the world. There is nothing else like it. Now mind you, I've eaten all over the world, but if I had to choose the best place to eat, my answer will always be New Orleans. Laissez le bon temps rouler!

@Golden

You know half of the recipes in the original 'Joy Of Cooking' cookbook were not even tested.
Julia Child really went after that cookbook. You can always trust Julia and any one of her recipes.
(3)

real - It's about the best cookbook I have ever had, but don't try the sugar cookies. They are a flop. A friend warned me but I did try them and they ere a flop. Just tasteless. Anything else I tried was excellent.

There is a great recipe for a cake made in two layers - each layer with cake and meringue on top baked together, Then you filled it with a whipped cream and fruit filling meringue side down for the lower layer and meringue side up for the top layer and piled more whipped cream and fruit on top. I got many compliments for that one and it really wasn't difficult but was delicious..

I don't have the book any more. I know you can get some recipes on line.

Just found it - "Cream Meringue Tart Cockaigne"

Her Yorkshire puddings are excellent too.

Tonight, I am roasting garlic heads to have with hot Italian sausages, and asparagus.
(3)

Hey, ITRR

Good to see you. I would eat anything that you make. You make the best meals!
(1)

Burnt,

Do you cook Greek food? We have a great Greek festival here. I love Greek food!
(2)

Golden, I love, love, love my Joy of Cooking cookbook.

I had a dear friend that believed every house should have this cookbook and made it a reality in dozens, mine included. Such a precious gift that will bless me for my lifetime.
(2)

A surprising 87 degrees fahrenheit, (about 30.55 in Celcius)
is too hot to eat just now.
Turning on the air conditioning, closing the windows.
Dinner is going to be late.
(3)

We have French and Spanish history here but New Orleans is the second largest city of Italian immigrants.

There is an Italian bakery here that I adore. Great Italian restaurants too.

Of course, many incredible home cooks, moms and grandmothers who make the very best food.

My friend’s mom makes the most delicious stuffed artichokes that I have ever had.

I married an Italian man! He is the love of my life. Married 45 years.
(3)

Burnt,

Cast iron is wonderful for so many things.
(3)

I used to make my own pizza dough too. Don't remember the recipe.

I also made my own tomato sauce and I can tell you it was easy and made such a difference to the pizza. The flavour was so fresh! The recipe was from "The Joy of Cooking" which was so popular back in the day.

I must say Burnt's recipe for pizza dough sounds good.
(2)

Hey Alva,

Want to know the absolute best and most delicious way to reheat pizza?

If you've got a cast iron skillet, put a little olive oil in it and pan fry the leftover pizza. My father and grandmother used to do it like that and OMG, it's so good.

@Need

I like a thin crispy crust too. New York style.
(2)

I like a thin crust. Some people love the Chicago style pizzas. They are all delicious but I just prefer a thin and crispy crust.
(3)

Burnt,

Yep, it’s today.

Do you use a stone to cook your pizza on? Or a metal pan?

Your pizzas sound delicious!
(1)

@Geaton and TN

My grandmother (the Greek one) used to make the pizza dough with honey and olive oil. It's so delicious because when it cooks it's just a little bit crispy on the outside, but soft and fluffy on the inside.
(3)

@Need

There's a National Prime Rib Day? Why is this the first I'm hearing of it?
When it comes to pizza I like it like the true Sicilian I am. Just really good homemade sauce and maybe a little grated Pecorino Romano cheese. Maybe a few sliced kalamata olives. The good ones from Greece.
I like a Florentine pizza too. Sundried tomatoes, spinach, and ricotta. If I've got it in the house. If I don't, then just plain.
I never bake my pizza on a stone. I use a cookie sheet or my grandmother's circular pizza pan that she brought with her to America. That thing is so old I think it counts as an archaeological artifact from the Roman times LOL.
(2)

Today is National Prime Rib Day!
(1)

Love the recipe with honey! Thank you! Gives the crust a slight sweet flavor. Pizza Crust can be made with 1/2 the salt (for low sodium). It raises faster so you need to watch the first raising time and make sure you get it formed as soon as the dough has doubled.

I read the reduced salt recommendation from a baker and first tried it with homemade yeast rolls. Cannot taste a difference with half the salt but when I cut it to 1/3 there is a little difference in both taste and rise quality but my neighbor (who is on very restricted sodium) likes the 60mg buns and 30mg rolls. I am going to try the honey in the rolls too!

Pizza sauce made with no salt added tomato sauce and your favorite spices (oregano, basil, pepper, garlic and onion power) gives you lots of sodium to use on the cheese and then some veggie toppings. I use great value seasoning mix (onion and peppers) for a fast "supreme" half and leave the other half just cheese when I split with the little boys... usually make pepperoni or ham for the older ones. I also usually cheat and make them on cookie sheets because I can bake 2 or 4 at a time (depending on whether I use both ovens) and still get a crisp crust.
(4)

Burnt, thanks for the pizza dough recipe. I've tried many. My personal preference is a very "yeasty" tasting crust, and sometimes I add seasoning into it. The honey as a yeast activator is interesting (I love honey). Again, thanks!
(4)

Thanks for posting a crust recipe, Burnt.

What toppings do you prefer on a pizza?

Every now and then I will do a seafood pizza. I go to a place that has a simple crabmeat and artichoke pizza. Otherwise I do a variety of veggies.
(3)

I haven’t eaten pepperoni on pizza in a bazillion years. It’s too salty for me. I don’t like any meat at all. I only order veggies. I like a Mediterranean pizza a lot.
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter