Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Stuffed chicken breasts sound lovely, need.

Thx llama. Not entirely better, but I had a good supper tonight anyway. Life goes on. We will see what tomorrow brings. I can't really handle very heavy meals much any more.
(2)

Chick-fil-a chicken tortilla soup. My gut cannot handle heavy meals back to back.

golden: Hope that your gut is better.
(2)

Golden,

Honey, garlic ribs sound delicious!

I am going to cook dinner in just a minute. I will be making chicken breasts stuffed with a spinach and ricotta cheese mixture. When I get tired of plain chicken I will change things up a bit.

I will probably make a simple cucumber and tomato salad to go along with it.
(1)

Yesterday was honey garlic ribs and maple bacon ribs, baked beans, baked potato with all the trimmings, sauteed romaine hearts. That was for R. I had some romaine and peanut butter as my gut was off.

Tonight will be roast pork tenderloin with onions and carrots cooked around the roast, boiled baby potatoes, gravy, asparagus, apple sauce, and brownies for dessert.

R has expressed appreciation for the meals. I guess he doesn't do quite as well on his own. I am always happy to cook for him.
(6)

I lived on Scotland for 4 years and never heard of rumbledethumps. Live and learn!!! And then there is clapshot. I've eaten it but ever knew it by that name.
(3)

Lol! Colcannon and bubble and squeak?! Never heard of either. Thanks Dr. Google!

In Ireland, colcannon is made from mashed potatoes, cabbage or kale, and onion, and it's very similar to bubble and squeak, as is rumbledethumps in Scotland.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/traditional-bubble-and-squeak-recipe-435202
(2)

Love corned beef in any form.

Is Colcannon somewhat like bubble and squeak?

Sounds good, glad.

Swiss steak, pasta shells and broccoli, muffin and yogurt for R for dessert., square of dark chocolate for me
(3)

Asparagus, spinach with hummus and fake crab with spicy cocktail sauce.
(2)

Part Irish here so we are making Corned beef, cabbage, potatoes and carrots. Smells wonderful. Irish american food at it's best. And yep,, that is what Colcannon is! And it's yummy. Top it off with lots of butter and pepper
(4)

Sounds good, cw.
(1)

I have cabbage and I have potatoes so in honour of St Paddy's day I'm planning on making colcannon, which as far as I can tell is just boiled cabbage stirred into mashed potatoes. I think I'll fry up some of the deli montreal smoked meat I have as a stand in for corned beef - not quite the same but close enough.
(4)

Grilled salmon and veggies.
(4)

Burnt,

You’re not the only Jews who don’t stick to a kosher diet in New Orleans! LOL We do have great food.

I was in a relationship with a Jewish man before I met my husband. He wanted to get married. I wasn’t ready to settle down yet. I ended the relationship.

That’s great that you learned how to make some of our dishes. I cook a variety of food. I have very eclectic taste.

I like white beans too. I cook both. I freeze the red beans in single servings because my husband doesn’t eat them.

My grandfather was a fabulous gardener who grew lots of vegetables. His flowers were beautiful too, especially his roses.
(1)

@Need

I like the white navy beans and rice, but I like my red beans more. There's no way I'm living without oysters and crawdads in my life. Or gulf shrimp.
My man too. We're jewish but don't always keep kosher in our eating. Not since we went to New Orleans years ago. Greatest party city in the world and the best food ever.
Since we don't live in New Orleans, I learned how to make the food. Some things are hard to get here. Like okra. Good luck finding that. It grows easily though and I do some in the veg garden.
(3)

Burnt,

Yep! I was born and raised in New Orleans and my mother and grandmother made the best red beans and rice. I love them too!

I don’t know how I ever ended up with my husband though. He was born in New Orleans. He doesn’t eat red beans and rice, doesn’t eat crawfish or oysters! Are you kidding me? LOL

Well, his mom’s mother and father grew up in the Cajun part of Louisiana and they eat white beans more often than red beans. So, my husband likes navy beans and rice.

His dad’s family are from Italy. So, he’s French and Italian.

You’re so right about the hambone!
(2)

@Need

You making red beans and rice? That's my favorite. I make it on the stovetop too. In an enamed Dutch oven. I there's a leftover hambone... even better.
(1)

cw,

Okay, so you and I were both puzzled by Techie’s response on your evaporated milk suggestion for her cream of tomato soup recipe.

I looked it up. First of all, I had no idea about the various powdered milk products that are available now. I only knew of the nonfat one. Now I see where they have heavy cream, whole milk and nonfat.

Anyway, I saw a site that explains how to make a substitute for evaporated milk with powdered milk. The formula is 1 1/4 cups of water with 1 cup of powdered milk. That’s it!

Mystery solved! It was driving me crazy so I had to research it to see what the heck Techie was talking about! 😆

Another sub is to boil whole milk until it is reduced by half.
(1)

Ok . Didn’t cook tonight . We went to Texas Roadhouse . We used a gift card given to us at Christmas .
I LOVE the fresh rolls . But the bread mixer machine was broken , so no rolls tonight . So sad. 😿
(4)

Burnt,

Yum! Sounds delicious. I alternate between the slow cooker and stovetop when I make soup. Once, I made a chicken tortilla soup in the instant pot which was good too.

I need to try some more dishes in the instant pot. I have heard from a few people that red beans come out well in the pressure cooker. I always cook them on the stove.
(1)

I put a nice pot of buffalo chicken soup in the slow cooker this morning before work. Came out good.
(4)

Techie,

Your posting made me in the mood for soup! I just made a big pot of vegetable soup. I use whatever veggies I have on hand.

Today I put, zucchini, yellow squash, red pepper, carrots, green beans, peas, corn, onions, celery and garlic.

I know that I make a lot of soup. I do love it. Plus, as I have said before, I find chopping veggies to be very therapeutic.
(5)

Techie,

You taught me something new today. I wasn’t aware of powdered evaporated milk. Powdered milk, yes I know about, but not powdered evaporated milk. That’s interesting.

My mom and grandma bought either Pet or Carnation evaporated milk in cans.

I remember them saving the labels to get the stainless steel can opener that a person could use to open the can and then use it for a lid.

Oh gosh, so many things are gone now. Remember ‘green stamps?’ My mother got lots of great things from saving her ‘green’ stamps.

My job was to put all of the stamps in the books! I loved looking through the toy section of the catalog. Mom never bought toys with them though.

Everybody gave away those stamps. All of the grocery stores. Maybe other businesses too, but I can’t remember who else did.
(2)

I've only heard of the evaporated milk that comes in a can Techie, powdered skim milk is not the same at all.
(3)

Cwillie and NHWM, my mother and I kept a box of powdered evaporated milk and used it for gravy and pretty much anything else where you cook the milk (puddings, sometimes in baking). This was primarily because it allowed practically unlimited milk available for cooking (reserving the "real" milk for drinking and cereal) and because for many years it was cheaper. Unfortunately about 4-5 years ago the price went up quickly for some reason and it became more expensive than real milk. I still keep it, but don't use it as much. I also keep evaporated milk for cooking (it's now cheaper than powdered) so I will try that instead of cream.

The mess of cleaning the blender and time to allow the soup to cool enough to blend it is the reason I'm not cooking the onions, garlic, and maybe some peppers for this soup. I'm thinking of cooking a bunch of onions and garlic, blend it in a little chicken broth, and freezing in small storage containers so I don't have to take the time for each batch of soup. The thing is, I usually get nearly as good flavor from the fresh powdered versions. I have to admit I really like the just throw it in the pot method of cooking, especially when I have a group of boys around asking "is it done yet?"
(2)

Techie,

I would eat your soup!

I agree with cw on the evaporated milk. Keep this product in your pantry at all times. It is reasonably priced. Our mothers and grandmothers cooked with it. It’s a tried and true ingredient. It can be incorporated as a substitute for heavy cream in many recipes.

Do add chicken broth. I do this when cooking soups.

The fun part of cooking is being able to create our own recipes for the dishes that we love.

I love inspiration from different sources, this thread, blogs, recipe sites, friends and especially moms and grandmothers!

My husband is a pretty good cook. He can do more than just cooking on the grill. So, I listen to his tips too.

I enjoy hearing my daughters say that they love my dishes but that they tweaked it to try something new. It shows their creativity.

Oh, the mistakes that I made when I was first learning to cook were awful and we laugh about them now.
(3)

If you want to go lower fat too evaporated milk is a great sub for the cream Techie. I would personally caramelize some onions and garlic and whiz it with my stick blender but I don't mind it a little chunky. A pinch of sugar can balance the acidity. You could try a vegetable cocktail instead of tomato juice for something a little different.
(3)

I'm trying to develop my recipe for cream of tomato soup. So far I have decided to use no salt added tomato juice, onion and garlic powder (so I don't need a blender to "cream" the soup) butter, pepper, paprika, and heavy cream. Options to still try include milk instead of cream, maybe some low sodium chicken broth to add some more flavor? Although a lot of online recipes include basil, I have decided to omit that in the next few iterations and maybe include it in a lesser amount later.

It already tastes far better then Campbell's and a whole pot (6 large servings) has less than a 1/6 of the sodium in one can of Campbell's. It isn't hard or time consuming to make either. It's mostly throw it in the pot and allow it to slowly heat.

Making today's version by request for the boys. School is out (although our end of the county only has flurries) and the boys want tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch. Five boys around the table means a big pot of soup and at least 12 grilled cheese sandwiches. A blackberry dump cake with ice cream for desert!
(3)

Roasted turkey breast and steamed asparagus. I put the turkey breast in the oven and fell asleep, so it was in longer than I planned but it was still good!
(3)

Shrimp creole and salad.
(3)

We were supposed to have enchiladas, southwest salad & refried beans. However, I forgot about the refried beans in the microwave. I got distracted by a good friend calling & talking for 45 minutes. Grateful my friend called though. It was a nice reprieve from what's going on around here.
(4)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter