Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Well the family reunion part went great,, but my Aunt is still in the hospital. Turns out she has stitchs on her eyebrow and chin, broke her arm, got dizzy getting dressed so the are keeping her until Mon for more tests,, hopefully she'll get out after them, She sounded good this morning. She has passed out/ fallen before and now she is afraid they may take her liscence . They have been playing with her BP meds so maybe they just need adjusted. We didn't get to see her but told her DD and I will go up in the next few weeks once she's settled back in. At 89 we all agree she probably doesn't need to drive but she only goes to church and Wal mart. Looks like she went 10 rounds and lost! We zoomed her this morning and she understands our not coming as it would have added at least 2 hours to our drive, and we got no sleep last night. She has 6 living kids and about 30 grands,, and can only have 2 visitors at a time,, and so while I feel bad, we did go see her a few weeks ago.
(2)

So, I found this super easy crockpot recipe. I’m glad that I tried it! It’s pretty good.

One and a half lbs of chicken breast.

One packet of low sodium taco seasoning mix. Or use your own blend of seasonings.

One jar of salsa

Cook on high for four hours or low for eight hours. When chicken is done, remove and shred, then place shredded chicken back into the sauce. Remove cover on crockpot and cook on high power for an additional ten minutes to thicken the sauce.

Serve in taco shells, tortillas, on top of nachos or make a taco salad. Add any toppings that you like, cheddar cheese, avocado, shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, sour cream, etc.

I made this for lunch today. This recipe will freeze well.
(2)

Anabanana, what time is dinner?

Sounds so yummy!
(1)

My child #2 is home this week from university, so I made a lasagne, heavy on her favourite layer, the middle, of ricotta and Parmesan. Cheeses are our comfort foods. Now to toss a salad.

Pam, I hope your aunt’s injuries are superficial and heal quickly.
(5)

Heading off to church for our fish dinner.

Enjoy your supper everyone!
(5)

Geeeez, Pam

She took quite a tumble! Poor woman. I hope she won’t be horribly uncomfortable and will recover as soon as possible.
(4)

so she is awaiting the CT results,, but they took the c collar off. Stitches on her chin and above her eye. Sore arm and will need new glasses. She is posting now and thinks she will get to home. I know if she goes home my one of my cousins will stay with her, Just posted they are putting a splint on her arm for a possible FX. Its always something with my family,, and I have no idea where the Tx family is on their travels,,, JUst texted them
(5)

Pam,

I am sorry to hear that she fell. Accidents happen! Oh gosh, your aunt will have a gash on her head for pictures! Is the cut on her face or on her head and will be covered by her hair?

One time, mom fell while I was at the grocery and she cut her face. Older people’s skin is so tender. They bruise and tear their skin so easily.

Anyway, my oldest daughter was home with her and she ran to the bathroom to get a bandaid. My girls always loved those character bandages.

So, I think my daughter placed a Mickey Mouse bandaid across my mom’s forehead. My mom was extremely vain and wasn’t too happy with wearing Mickey Mouse on her face!

I have to say that we all shared a good laugh afterwards, even mom giggled about it.

Some falls are crazy! Mom fell right in front of me in the bathroom. She got up from the toilet and for some reason turned herself around.

She fell backwards which isn’t unusual for Parkinson’s patients and hit her head on the faucet in the bathtub. I freaked when I saw red blood flowing through mom’s beautiful snow white hair.

I immediately took her to the hospital and she had to have staples placed in her head. Thank God there was no brain bleed.

A handsome hospital staff member scooped mom up and placed her on an examination table and mom said to him, “Gee, you are so strong. I haven’t been picked up like that since my husband carried me over the threshold!

Oh my gosh, we cracked up. My brothers and sister in law met us at the hospital and we all said that she surely could spot a good looking man, even in her 90’s! LOL 😆
(3)

Funny you should ask. I have some ground beef I need to use up, and I found this goulash recipe on AllRecipes. I think I have most of the ingredients, and can substitute what I don't.

I need to get back to quilting. Actually, I promised myself a new sewing table when I get my refund, and then the quilting might actually happen. Meanwhile, I have been knitting, which is more portable! And as a treat for myself, I ordered two new knitting bags from an Etsy vendor. All this is of a theme, actually, because I decided that I deserve to have proper tools and equipment instead of always making do. I think, when we are stuck in care giver mode, that we have to do whatever we can to make our lives a little easier and find things to give ourselves pleasure and forward momentum.
(5)

Hubs has spent the day smoking 2 pork butts for the family reunion, my garage smells wonderful!
(5)

Need it's "funny" you mentioned the fish dinners... my Aunt was at one tonight and fell. Off in the ambulance she goes,, cut her head . One of my cousins is meeting her at the hospital,, sounds OK for now. BUT this is the weekend we are having the family reunion because some TX relatives are coming for a week,, it"s always something! She will be the star of the show for sure!
(4)

Many local churches here have wonderful fish dinners for lent.

It’s a great fundraiser for the church and the dinners are reasonably priced.

We can choose fried or grilled fish served with a side dish dessert and drink.

We can eat in the cafeteria or get it to go.

So, it’s fish for dinner tonight!
(4)

stuffed peppers...
I've spent the day closing bank accounts and all the legal end of life things.
I told the life insurance company to mail me their forms and they sent an email..I don't have a printer. So, I'll have to get someone else to print it for me.
The bank actually wanted my brothers to come in to claim their portions of the bank account that our Mom set up for them. When I pointed out that they were
all around the world, she had no idea how to deal with that, lol.
So, the "back office" will be contacting my brothers. I'm done with the financials.
(3)

Need and cw: Sounds delicious.
(2)

Stuffed pepper casserole is easier LOL

I'm having spaghetti carbonara, I cooked a handful each of broccoli and red peppers along with the pasta.
(4)

Stuffed bell peppers and salad. I bought red, yellow, orange and green! Will have to freeze half of them. Colorful dinner!

I started cutting the peppers in half lengthwise. I didn’t do a good job when I would cut the tops off. I couldn’t ever find peppers that stood up in my casserole dish. They toppled over! LOL 😆
(4)

Pancakes of course!
(4)

Burger with cannellini beans/tomatoes/cumin.
(3)

Burgers 🍔 and sweet potato fries.
(3)

I know this is off topic but I wish we could have an aging care marketplace. I also collect vintage jewelry and have made many necklaces with vintage beads. I believe I shared our interest some time ago with LeaL as she is very into this too. The quilting topic made me think of this. I know it's just wishful thinking. Wouldn't it be wonderful if there could be an aging care convention!! At least in my opinion. There are so many of you I wish I could meet. I did meet with a poster who was local a few years ago. She hasn't been on this site for awhile. It was nice to share our mutual aging mother's situations.
(3)

ITTR, I an also sorry for your loss. I am dealing with a mother in hospice who is living on and on despite much suffering. I know I will feel bad once she is gone but it is so hard to see week after week. In the 1990's there was this wonderful quilt shop in Williamsburg,VA that amongst many items sold amazing round quilted pot holders. They would generally use 2 color themes. I gave many as gifts. Have never been able to find these again. They were so interesting they could be hung on a kitchen wall in my opinion. They also did red and green versions that were great for Xmas. Good luck with your endeavors quilting.
(3)

ITRR & Need -
My first quilting project was a queen quilt. I figured breaking it down into blocks was easier, so I purchased block-of-the-month kits from JoAnn’s. Got tired of feeling behind after several months, and created this with the blocks I had completed
https://m.facebook.com/CreativeCasuals/photos/a.146789992119832/146790002119831/?type=3

Yes, start with a table runner lol.
(4)

Need, oops! Press and seal Saran wrap.

It sticks to the cloth and doesn't leave any residue when peeled off.
(2)

River,

I like seeing things in person because I hate having to return.
(1)

Oh my gosh, ITRR

You started quilting with a king sized quilt. That’s ambitious!

I can sew but I have not quilted anything. I’m a bit intimidated by the process. I have always admired quilted items.

I will definitely take your advice and start with a smaller project. I like the idea of doing a table runner.

What is peel and stick?
(1)

Need, I love my quilted table runners. I put Peel and stick on the table side to stop any spills from sitting on the wood. It works great.

If you can sew, you can quilt. You will be surprised at how easy it really is. You can hand stitch them or you can tie them or my favorite the crow stitch. Start with a small project, my first project was a king size quilt and I really recommend something smaller to sort it out first :-)
(5)

NHWM. I love WS too and they offer free shipping which is great for my out of state children. Our Bed Bath and Beyond seems to still be going but I often can't find what I want. Always use their coupons. My kids too do mostly online shopping. They have busy work schedules and are raising children. I prefer stores or at least be able to talk to someone. I have something coming from CA and it is in transit somewhere. I always have to remember what should be coming when I order online. Our middle child always had stacks of boxes in her entry. Except for Costco she rarely shops in stores.
(2)

Started a ground turkey white bean chili this morning. Soaked and slightly cooked beans last night. Chopped heirloom fresh tomatoes. It is smelling wonderful. We are having cold weather here in SC so this will be perfect for several days.
(5)

went to Montgomery Inn for ribs. busy but the line wasn't as long as usual for Friday night
(1)

Any Bed, Bath and Beyond shoppers? We have one in Metairie, La., which is a part of the greater New Orleans area. I see where they are closing four stores in Louisiana. That will make six closures so far in Louisiana.

Bed, Bath and Beyond is supposed to be filing for bankruptcy. I have bought some things from them because of the coupons and a great return policy.

Sometimes, I go to the ‘going out of business’ sales. It’s hit or miss though to find deals. They probably sell most things off to other discount retailers.

My daughters tell me that I am out of the loop going into stores to shop. They rarely do and buy most things online.

I suppose more and more people are buying online.

I love Williams Sonoma for housewares.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter