Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Remembering Ben's in Montreal and their fabulous smoked meat sandwiches. Those were the day!!!
(3)

ITRR,

The other thing that I found online that I want to make is a table runner that is filled with the same material that is used in pot holders.

I do have a drawer filled with trivets but I like the idea of using a pretty runner and not having all of my mismatched trivets on the table!

I love some of the quilted table runners but I never learned how to quilt. My mom did some quilting and my daddy’s mom did too. I didn’t know my father’s parents. They died before I was born. Daddy had two of his mom’s quilts.

My grandmother’s quilts were destroyed in mom’s house in Katrina. I think homemade quilts are so special. It’s a beautiful labor of love to be passed onto family members.
(1)

Haven't seen any post from Bridget for a couple of weeks now. Anyone knows what's going with her?
(1)

ITRR,

Funny you should mention this. I was just reading about that on a sewing blog that I read.

I can print out the pattern. The blogger said exactly what you said, to use only cotton fabric, thread and batting.

Thanks for the feedback on these. I think I am going to make some.
(2)

Need, I love those coozies. The biggest thing to think about is using a microwave safe stuffing. Not all of it is safe, found that one out from my cousin. Who would have thought?

I recommend them!
(1)

Barb,

That’s one of my husband’s favorite dinners. Swordfish isn’t common here. Once in awhile we will see it on a restaurant menu.

He orders it often when he travels to California.
(2)

Swordfish marinated in rice vinegar ad sesame oil, vermicelli rice noodles with peanut sauce, green beans and salad.
(5)

Does anyone use those fabric bowl cozies when heating up food in the microwave? I keep seeing these and tempted to buy them or make some. I use a pot holder to remove a hot bowl from the microwave.
(0)

I’m being lazy tonight and doing grilled cheese sandwiches!
(2)

I'm making a faux reuben sandwich - no sauerkraut so I'm making up some sweet & sour cabbage, I've got montreal smoked meat instead of pastrami and cheddar rather than swiss. All on pumpernickel.
(4)

cw,

This is true. It is a fundraiser activity. They don’t make a lot from selling their cookies.

Some people freeze their thin mint cookies to make them last longer. Ours never made it to the freezer!

I have eaten frozen Peppermint Pattie’s at my friend’s house. Those are great frozen!
(1)

You all need to keep in mind that the girl guide cookies are meant to be a fund raiser, think of it as making a donation to the organization not buying cookies.
In my area the cubs and scouts have apple days where they shine up apples and go door to door or set up on the sidewalk "selling" individual apples... I think the whole concept is flawed because people don't understand that the apple is really a reward for their contribution and many think handing over $1 for an apple is generous.
(2)

LuckyLu,

That stinks. I haven’t bought any GS cookies this year. I hate that they have changed though.

I remember camp being a big incentive for us to sell cookies also.

sp, those are good.
(3)

If you like thin mints the keebler grasshopper cookies are just as good.
(4)

They sold for a quarter when I sold them in the mid 60's. I do remember the price increasing to 75¢. My favorite are the Tagalog peanut butter patties.
(2)

I had to hide the cookies.
Every night,my dH grazes thru the kitchen looking for chocolate or anything sweet.
How he doesn't have diabetes or a weight problem is beyond me.
I just look at the cookies or candy and gain 5 lbs.
I wish my metabolism was faster.
(4)

Bandy - I can easily eat half a box of the peanut butter sandwich cookies, probably a whole box if I don't stop myself. But don't feel bad, half a box isn't that much.
(4)

I agree, luckylu. GS cookies used to taste better. Now, they are made with cheaper ingredients, so the taste goes down. The boxes are smaller, the cookies are smaller, but the prices are higher.
(4)

NHWM,
The taste was about the same but the cookies didn't have much filling and the cookies were smaller and there were only 2 sleeves.
When I sold Girl Scout cookies,if you sold a certain amount,over a hundred boxes,you got to go to camp for free for a week or two.
The little girl's Mother did mention that their troop was saving to go to a special camp out of state so I think they're still doing some kind of fundraising.
(1)

LuckyLu,

I wonder if they changed their recipe. I love Girl Scout cookies!

I can’t remember what I sold them for. It wasn’t a whole lot of money. The scouts don’t make a lot of money on selling cookies.

They need to come up with additional fundraisers.
(2)

Dessert showed up at our door tonight~
A little Brownie was selling Girl Scout cookies and asked if we wanted to buy some.
We ordered the Thin Mints and peanut butter kind and then she went out to her wagon and grabbed them so we got the cookies right away....at $6.00 a box.
They're tasty but nothing like they were when I used to sell them and they were alot cheaper then too,,,$1,25 a box,I think I remember....
(2)

Faking wings. I had some rotisserie chicken in the freezer. Took out a baggie, put some Red Hot on it wrapped it in foil to warm in up. Sweet potato will be done in about 20 minutes will put the chicken in in ten minutes or so. Maybe have some just cold salad/spinach with it.

I am rooting for the Eagles they are going into half time up ten points. Half time show just getting ready to start. Can't root for the Chiefs, they are the same division as the Broncos!
(1)

cw - freeze some. Soup keeps well in the freezer. Surely there is some soup-type cold weather coming in this winter yet.
(3)

The soup is good.... but there sure is a lot of it 🤣
(3)

I am really debating on whether I want to go out to pick up wings somewhere. Maybe I should just think healthier and have a salad with a sweet potato for supper. I don't care to get into the mess that the grocery will be, or go out and wait in line to pick up wings at the bar.
(2)

That's good to know, cashew. Thank you.😊 I was planning on getting an air fryer once I move and R loves baked potatoes. I would never have thought to put them together.
(2)

gladimhere,
for crispy skin on a baked potato you can use an air fryer.
(3)

No, they don’t but the inside is moist, soft and fluffy. I use them for baked potato soup, so I don’t need the crispy skin for that.

I do like crispy skin too.
(2)

Do baked potatoes come out with crispy skin? That is how I like mine.
(2)

One of my favorite things to cook in the instant pot is baked potatoes. They come out perfectly every time!
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter