Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Soup works in the instant pot. I have done that. I generally do soup in a crock or stovetop.
(2)

I don't think I would make a good instant pot cook. I enjoy taking the time to cook, the smells to enjoy and savor for a few hours when making a soup or chili, especially.

My son has one he was so proud of wings he made. I didn't tell him the truth, but I thought they were awful.

Since my kitchen is packed, I will have to see if I can find wings to buy tomorrow.

I had Progresso chicken noodle.I

I wonder if those uncooked beans should have at least been soaked overnight or canned?
(3)

Sounds good, cw!
(1)

Soup should work. Let us know.
(1)

cwillie,
I hope you have chickens to feed it to.
(2)

OK I have a plan - tomorrow I'll cook up some more ground beef, add a bunch of mixed veg and beef broth and turn the whole mess into a chili vegetable soup. I think that should be pretty good!
(5)

Sorry, cw. Guess you need to trash that recipe and find a new one!
(1)

I tried an instant pot recipe for chili that I found on line and it's..... not good.
I was skeptical when they said you could just toss the uncooked beans in with the browned meat and veggies and I was right to be because everything is cooked to mush except for the beans. Oh, and the step where you thicken things up with some masa or cornmeal really exacerbated the whole mushy thing.
And I have a whole pot of this stuff.
(4)

Sendhelp,
I know the cost is insane but right now, Mom is dying. So, I ordered delivery.
I'll be able to shop again soon.
It was a flip on the app that happened to the delivery driver. No harm, no foul...lots of eggs.
(2)

Cashew,
To solve the delivered to the wrong address problem, under delivery instructions, add "Check with the resident to confirm you are at the right address".

We are forced to go in person to shop now. The prices are not just higher with instacart, it is price gouging and fraud. It was a luxury we could not afford.

How do I explain this?
Simply put, the exact same groceries at Costco were $64.00 less in person shopping. (Order was $142.52).
That was without the tax, service fees, tip, and membership fees for free delivery via Instacart.

Even if you shop the "In store prices", like Sprouts, they charge you more by mistake when you buy at the butcher counter. ($17.00 is now $20.00).
Difference was refunded but had to get it corrected.

Who wants to spend $250.00 per month extra on groceries, ever?

Hindsight is 20/20.
(1)

Make some into pickled eggs Cashew, they last a long time and are yum!
(2)

Yesterday I ordered instacart delivery for groceries. They left me someone else's order by mistake. So, I tried to contact them and the guy somewhere in corporate land said they couldn't pick up the wrong order but will send out my order, again.
So, I would be left to try and find time and use my gas to donate or dispose of what was left on my porch. It was obviously for a superbowl party..a lot of crappy food. lol
Later, the lady who dropped off the wrong one came to swap...great! I got my order, they got their order...all is right with the world. Until, I went to get the mail today and there was another order matching my first one on the porch. LOL
I will be making egg dishes because I now have 4 dozen eggs.
(5)

Rotisserie chicken, raw spinach, and strawberries. Loving strawberries these days.
(3)

DD got us a great gift certificate for our fav Gettysburg restaurant and BnB, so today we went for lunch and to book a stay for Feb right after Valentines day. Our usual room is booked so we got the other suite with a private porch, and we are excited! Plus enough left to book another overnighter later in the year. Since hubs still can;t eat alot of stuff he got baked onion soup and a crab cake app, and I got a crab cake sammy. We were stuffed! DD will watch our dog and the ferals and we can relax, sleep in, have a fantastic breakfast that is included,, and putz around our favorite town for 2 days!
(5)

Pizza dinner with favorite son and new DIL!
(4)

Going out for Indian food tonight. Yum!

Enjoy your dinner everyone.
(2)

It depends on the brand of sour cream. For instance, Daisy brand ingredients list only cultured cream. That is the only brand that I use.

I do love Greek yogurt! It can be a great substitute for sour cream.

Cashew,

Thanks for the tip!
(2)

I like to use real cream in things. So, if I need to use sour cream...
I usually just add a bit of vinegar to some cream and poof...sour cream
(3)

Lite sour cream isn't real food, it's a chemical soup of ingredients made to imitate the bland, thick profile of full fat sour cream. Even higher fat sour cream usually has a list of starches, thickeners and whatever that other stuff is - in contrast my favourite Greek yogurt contains just two: milk and bacterial culture.
(5)

CW, what did you learn?
(0)

I was just looking up the differences between lite sour cream and greek yogurt because sour cream is constantly on sale here. I understand the demand for real sour cream but I still don't get the appeal of the 5% stuff or why sour cream is usually cheaper than greek yogurt... maybe people just grab what they're used to using without thinking about it?
(1)

avocado, cheese quesadilla with plain yogurt and salsa.

I am really liking substituting yogurt for sour cream!
(5)

I had chocolate covered pretzels!
(5)

cw - sounds good. Cabbage family veggies have so many health benefits. My oldest grandson and I love brussels sprouts. I finished off one container of braised red cabbage at lunch.
(2)

All the cabbage talk inspired me to make some german(ish) sweet and sour cabbage with my own little twists. I stir fried shredded cabbage, sliced onion and matchstick carrots and a clove of garlic until wilted, then tossed in some slivered pickled beets and a little of the pickle juice, covered and let it all simmer together until the liquid evaporated. I dished it up with some perogies. It might have been enough for two meals but I ate it all - it's just a bunch veggies after all.
(10)

Max.

Of course, I don’t mind if you chime in! Happy to hear your thoughts. From what I have heard the induction cooktops or stoves are the most efficient way to cook these days.

Whenever we replace our cooktop, I will look into purchasing one.

Thanks for your help.

I can tell you a funny story about gas appliances. My parents had a gas refrigerator! I don’t know how common they were. This is when I was young.

Hurricane Betsy happened when I was 10 years old. It was a pretty bad storm and my parents were the only ones on our street that had a gas refrigerator. I remember all of our neighbors bringing milk, eggs, and other food to store in our refrigerator.

I don’t think that I have known anyone else that has owned a gas fridge.
(4)

Hi Max,
Yep, induction cook tops are great.
(1)

Hi Cashew, read my comment to Need Help about the induction cooktop. I love mine too!
(1)

Needhelp,
I don't even have a stove.
I removed mine after my folks started walking away while it was on. It
was electric and I even had the electrician remove the outlet for the stove.
I use an induction cook top that I keep in a drawer when not in use.
An Air fryer for baking and reheating, and my Instant pot.
I can make everything with those simple and compact appliances while
using a lot less electricity.
(3)

Hi Need Help, it’s Max - I hope you don’t mind me making a comment regarding your conversation with another poster, but I use an electric induction cooktop on top of my flattop ceramic electric range. I have a brand new range and haven’t used it I love the induction one. You can control the temperature so easily and it cooks so evenly. We’re sorry we didn’t purchase the regular size stove.
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter