Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Cashew,

Yes, shelves that aren’t too deep work for me!

I find these more practical than cabinets because it seems like the item that I need is always in the back of the cabinet so I end up having to empty out other things to get to it.

Did you see the latest reports on gas stoves vs induction stoves? I am still using a gas stove but I like the way the newer induction stoves work. I wasn’t crazy about the old electric stoves.

What do you have in your new kitchen?
(1)

Needhelp,
I always wanted a walkin pantry. The configuration of my kitchen with a door going outside meant that I would never have one. So, my shelf works fine for me and the lazy susan corner cabinet.
(1)

Hi Guys, we had sushi to start then I made swordfish and red snapper in butter, white wine, lemon and rosemary - butternut squash as veggie. By the way, if you like cabbage -sautee Savoy cabbage in olive oil and garlic with red pepper and oregano or any seasoning you like and then add cannelini beans and add pasta or serve with Italian bread or garlic bread. Max
(4)

Cashew,

Your kitchen sounds pretty!

I never use our top cabinets. I can’t reach them unless I am on a step ladder. Sometimes I feel like all we need are bottom kitchen cabinets.

It is amazing how much we accumulate over the years. Several years ago I purged my excess kitchen stuff.

When my children were younger they volunteered me to do the baking for classroom parties. I had 10 muffin pans! I donated all but two.

I cooked all of the family holiday meals, so I had at least 12 casserole dishes. I got rid of most of them too.

I told the family I was done with the cooking the enormous holiday meals. So, now we make restaurant reservations!

I have a huge walk in pantry with shelves that I store most things in.
(3)

I always want to go eat at Cashew's house!
I never liked front porch grey on the porch floor but I think it sounds nice for a kitchen... sorry your mom isn't doing well :(
(3)

My kitchen is pretty much done, btw.
I painted it "front porch grey" which is a nice, pale, true gray.
Looks good with the butcher block countertops and shelf. Plus, the
dark blue lower cabinets. came out very nice.
All the activity gave Mom a rally. Now, that it is basically done, she's
back in bed for all day non-responsive.
(6)

My husband claims to hate cabbage. He can’t stand the smell. It does stink! It doesn’t smell good like other food does as it’s cooking. Oh well…

I love cabbage but only cook it when he goes out of town.

What is interesting to me about my husband’s dislike for cabbage is that he will always order egg rolls when we go out for Chinese. Egg rolls have cabbage inside! LOL
(5)

I have some left over roast beef. So, I'm going to toss it into a pan with sauteed mushrooms, onions, and peppers.
(6)

Burnt: Thank you.
(0)

I had everything on hand, so I made Golden's red cabbage dish. We all liked it. Have some left for tomorrow. Everyone should try it.
(9)

@Llama

Red cabbage has a sweeter taste than green cabbage. It's nice though.
Myself I like Savoy cabbage. It's green but cooks faster and has a lless cabbage-ey taste.
(7)

Golden, Thank you for info. I'm going to try the red cabbage dish one day this week.
(5)

golden: Okay. Thank you!
(1)

llama -similar but a touch different. I can't really describe it. I found a red beet and red cabbage sauerkraut which was good. They do work together. but it was very red!!!

glad - yes rasher is a slice. Must be my British vocab popping up.

I have to share that I was tasting different parts this afternoon. Nice mouth experience. First the cinnamon and cardamom, then the orange and caraway, then the red cabbage and bacon. I could have used more onion and will next time. Some put garlic in too which I may try. I was first taught this recipe by a room mate in Montreal who was a red haired Nova Scotian who could figure skate. It was a fun time in my life - young at the time. Good memories!
(3)

LOL! I had heard the word rasher before but had to look it up.😀😀 We don't use that term here. So a rasher is a slice?
(2)

golden: Does the red cabbage have a similar taste to green cabbage? Perhaps I can switch out the cabbage in my red beet soup, but that would be a lot of red.
(2)

Bridget - I use several rashers of bacon cut up and fried with onion as a first step.
(2)

Well I bought my hubs some blueberry danish to make up for the samosas,, he is happy
(4)

Golden, In your cabbage dish, do you add a strip of bacon or use bacon that has already been cooked? It sounds so good. I love red cabbage.
(2)

Linguini with broccoli and chicken, lite alfredo sauce, salad.
(4)

I have to say the smells coming from the kitchen are awesome. I made up some braised red cabbage and apple with onion and bacon, a little brown sugar and vinegar. This time I added caraway seeds, cardamom, cinnamon and some orange zest that I keep in the freezer. I think it is the best I have ever made. The flavours are very balanced. Usually they blend overnight and it is better the second day but I couldn't resist a small helping. It's going to be great tomorrow!!! I will try freezing a little to see how that works.
(7)

KFC chicken pot pie. Only thing is it cannot be reheated in microwave as is - in tinfoil container.
(3)

cw,

I read that book about stone soup to my children a million times! It’s a cute book.
(3)

Max,

That sounds absolutely delicious! Yummy 😋

We had grilled salmon and veggies.
(3)

Filet Mignon with Brie and Blue cheese both melted to dip in , (my version of Fondue (but not even close), Asparagus on the side and red wine to drink. Have a great rest of your evening 💋Max
(8)

Chicken pot pie sounds good too!
(3)

As my hubs still can't eat anything but soft food today I thought he might like Indian Samosa.. after all they are soft and tasty. Oh boy was that a NO !! For some reason this time the peas were crunchy.. and the sauce was too spicy for him. He ate chicken pot pie from the amish market,, more samosa for me! Hey I tried!!
(8)

Stepson brought me a twice baked potato, grilled steak and salad.
(8)

@burnt - I've never tried it with red cabbage. Let me know how it turns out. I do braised red cabbage with bacon, onion and apple, a little sugar, a splash of vinegar and a sprinkle of caraway seeds. Sort of sweet and sour-ish.
(4)

@golden

Crack slaw sounds delicious. I actually have some ground chicken and red cabbage in the house. I think I'll give this a try tonight for supper.
(3)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter