Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Naptime.
2 Big bites (not scoops) of vanilla ice cream.

Sat. nite, we had BBQ tri-tip, baked beans, and chopped salad, and a buttery
garlic roll, to go.
Leftovers on Sunday.

Chopped salad had lettuce, shredded carrots, corn, black beans, grated cheese, tomatoes,
purple cabbage, cilantro, and blue cheese dressing.
(3)

Coffee ice cream.
(11)

Roast chicken and veggies
(5)

When I took my mother to senior events in her town, people were ready to eat a complete turkey dinner at 12 Noon. I took mine to go. DH and I kept our same schedule as when we both worked nights.
(3)

Lettuce wrap turkey burger with a little mayo. I can only eat half right now. Maybe the rest later.
(2)

Golden,

Oh, yes!
(1)

need- never tired in the daytime, but by bedtime I was ready to sleep
(2)

Golden,

I can relate to walking everywhere like you did for an ice cream. We walked or cycled everywhere. Were you fatigued by exercise?

I don’t remember ever being overly tired from walking or cycling. We were in shape and our bodies were used to the physical activity.

It’s funny how kids run just for fun! I loved running or holding my arms stretched out and spinning around very fast until I got dizzy.

LOL, kids are so silly. We had fun doing stuff like that. Oh my gosh, I would throw up if I tried spinning around now!

Glad,

That sounds beautiful, ‘midnight sun.’ So very different from our environment.
(2)

Up north, yes there is a period of time in the winter where it does stay dark. It is also known as The Land of the Midnight Sun.

Dubbed as the land of the midnight sun, Norway is one of the very few locations where sunset merges into sunrise, with no darkness in between. The midnight sun only occurs at certain times of the year and is only visible very close to the Arctic.

https://www.fjordtours.com/inspiration/articles/midnight-sun-explained/

The Polar Night can last days to months depending on your location. On the North Cape, the sun remains under the horizon for more than two months, while in Tromsø the phenomenon lasts for six weeks or so. In Lofoten, the dark period is short, just under four weeks.

https://nordnorge.com/en/artikkel/the-polar-night-is-the-blue-time-in-northern-norway/
(3)

But isn't there 24 hour darkness in Norway?
(2)

NHWM, interesting. We Always had dinner early, 5ish. When my kids were young ex would get home from work 5ish. Dinner was nearly always ready. How I have a supper about 3ish if I have it. Many nights I have a midnightish snack of half a peanut butter Sammy and cookie with a glass of milk.

Our holiday meals were always 2ish at the latest.

Interesting thought, Golden about early meals in Norway before darkness.

Somewhere over the last week read that Norwegians are typically thin because they are grazers.👵👵😏😏
(2)

NHWM,
I didn't grow up eating junk food either. I am a night eater. I think it's because I always worked nights. I eat dinner around 6pm, but have a snack around 11pm or 12 am. I really don't eat much during the day.
(2)

My mother ate dinner as early as 3:30 P.M.
(2)

gershun - I think it is too. I read a study recently where obese people ate the same number of calories each day but some ate them early in the day and some later. The ones who ate earlier in the day lost more weight.

need - That's interesting, I have a Norwegian mother and I eat my evening meal early. I wonder if it had something to do with the climate and the light available for working outside. Mind you I eat all my meals early, I am not interested in eating after about 7 pm so no late night snacks I think we had a much healthier lifestyle as kids and teens than young people today. There were hardly any processed foods in my youth. Everything was cooked from scratch and we played outside all the time and walked or rode bicycles to school. I don't remember eating much in between meals - maybe an apple. It wasn't the custom. If we wanted an ice cream cone as a treat we had to walk a mile or so downtown to buy it and that certainly wasn't every day.
(5)

I just looked up who eats dinner at the earliest time. Any guesses?

I had no idea. It’s Norway. They eat dinner around 4:30. Many people around the world eat dinner much later.

Do any of you eat a midnight snack? I am thinking about The Golden Girls who were always slicing into cheesecake or some other snack late at night.

My mom did let us have an after school snack, one cookie and a glass of milk.

My mom served our dinner fairly early. We didn’t get dessert on weekdays. We were never allowed to drink soda during the week. We had our dessert with Sunday meals at my grandparents house.

Nowadays kids eat junk food all the time. It’s kind of sad. I didn’t serve junk food to my girls. I suppose because I didn’t grow up eating junk food.

I didn’t even have pizza until I went out on a date! LOL It’s a different world now. I definitely think that’s why kids are overweight. Plus, we were so active in our childhood.

I only remember one kid in my class who was overweight. I saw him many years later and he was thin! I didn’t recognize him at first.

We had physical education classes everyday at my school. I walked or rode my bicycle. Kids can’t do that anymore. It sad because it’s isn’t always safe now to do so. I walked many blocks to school starting in kindergarten.
(1)

I think it's healthier to eat a heavier meal earlier in the day.
(6)

Supper is always the evening meal. Dinner could be midday or evening and is the larger meal usually,

I remember my mother telling me that they had "little breakfast" early so the farmers could go out and work with something in their stomach and then closer to midday they had a big meal to keep them going the rest of the day.

In Britain when I was there my aunt made a big midday meal - dinner, then that would be followed by afternoon tea around 4, and a very light supper later. Another custom in the UK is high tea which is basically a supper meal in the evening. sort of combining afternoon tea and supper.
(2)

Got DH and I KFC chicken pot pies and chicken bowls much earlier today. If he goes out, he doesn't go till almost close of biz.🙄🙄
(2)

I think you are right Golden I was remembering the other way around. I found this old article regarding the difference.
https://www.rd.com/article/difference-between-dinner-and-supper/
(3)

Surely it's the other way around, glad.

from the web
"Supper was originally a secondary lighter evening meal. The main meal of the day, called dinner, used to be served closer to what is known as lunchtime,"

I tend to eat lighter at night and my heavier meals in the day time -a good breakfast and lunch (or dinner).
(4)

Hoppin John, tomorrow we are to have a high of 7 degrees F. Will get chili out of the freezer. Tomorrow will be a chili dog.

Here a topic for discussion. What is difference between supper and dinner? I think most of us have our larger meals in the evening. As such it is supper. Supper traditionally was a midday large meal with dinner smaller in the evening.
(2)

An egg salad sandwich.
(6)

A spoonful of peanut butter - crunchy natural kind - and a large mug of tea with milk. Breakfast included pizza (gluten free, dairy free), which I finished off at lunch so I am not hungry. I am sure I have had enough calories for the day! 🍕🍕🍕😁
(5)

Cucumber and tomato salad, onion soup topped with Gruyère cheese.
(6)

Eye of Round roast with onions, potatoes. carrots, turnips and cabbage in the crockpot. German chocolate cake for grandson's birthday.
(3)

cw,

I love curry! Sounds like your curry was intense! Can you request that they reduce the amount of heat? Did you eat yogurt to cool down your taste buds?
(1)

Yesterday I finally got around to trying that new curry restaurant in town, I ordered a chana masala (chickpea curry) to go. Oh man🔥🔥🔥🔥.
In order to save my investment tonight I cooked up the leftovers with an onion, potato, a handful each of green beans, red pepper and spinach and it's still hotter than I'm comfortable with, and this dish isn't even one of the ones rated as spicy on the menu. This doesn't make me eager to try something else and that makes me sad because I love the flavours of Indian curries... minus the heat 😞
(4)

I think it’s great that people turned their passion for cooking into a thriving career. Ina has done very well for herself as a caterer and television host.
(2)

I love Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa.
(2)

Shell,

I am glad that you decided not to sell that cookbook. It’s a part of history! She was a trailblazer and did open the door for women chefs in a male dominated field.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter