Follow
Read More
Send, U R welcome. I'm glad you like the looks of her recipes.

My honey loves ground beef enchiladas and I found using tomato sauce and bone broth in my sauce is a great taste. The type of chili makes a difference too.

I should add that I make my bone broth separate and then we are not dealing with bones in the meal. I cook my meats in the bone broth and that richens the broth.
(3)

Thanks ITRR!
When I make a soup or stew, I can now go ask Maricruz how to make it.

The bones from the pork shoulder were useless in there.

I used to make wonderful enchiladas, but forgot how. It was a huge deal, placed on a great cookie sheet to make lots. But not authentic mexican.

Thank you for the resource.
(3)

Send, that's scary that your pozole looked like cocido. One is a spicy soup and the other is a stew, in Tucson anyways. Look up Maricruz avalos for the type I make. It is easy but, takes time to cook. Our pozole is always red.

My cocido has beef, carrots, potatoes, Mexican squash, corn on the cob and string beans. There is no chili's in the broth, however, there is a Spanish stew that is similar with chili's.
(1)

We had Pizole (Mexican Stew) last Wednesday. It was made with pork shoulder and had a bit of hominy and cabbage in it. First time eating that.
Bones were a major presence.

Looked just like the cocido soup!
(1)

Still cold and rainy so we had some cocido and flour tortillas.
(1)

Pizza delivered from Toppers.
A creamy garlic sauce, chicken & veges.
Antipasto Salad.
Oh what a treat, splurging!
Half went in freezer to store.

An atmospheric river before and after the pizza delivery.
(4)

Avocado, salsa and some rotisserie chicken.
(4)

Cold and rainy today, so we had comfort food. Cream of tomato soup, made with bone broth and grilled cheese sandwiches.
(5)

Crockpot chicken with homemade noodles and salad.
(3)

Tonight was some garlic potatoes with beef sausage.
I will be starting the walls in the kitchen next week.. They are bead board. So, there are someplaces that will need the grinder, then sand, then patch, then sand, set trim, and finally paint.

Strangely enough, my working on the kitchen seems to have caused a rally with my Mom. It's exciting that there is something happening and she wants to see what is next. The hospice nurse said she won't take a dementia patient off of hospice due to a rally. So, that's good. the extra care she gets is helping, as well.
(4)

I'm still working on the kitchen. Today, I moved a couple of outlets and put outlet plates over the dead outlets that will be behind some cabinets. A little swearing and a bit of sawdust later...it looks good.

Tonight will be a simple hamburger and pasta dish.
(5)

ITRR. The lobster pounds don't ship. There are Kiosks at the Bangor and Portland airports that ship, Prices vary by destination. It's fairly expensive. Im sure there are others on line.
(3)

😄😄
Must be secret?

Kraut dog!
(3)

ITRR Yes for 3lbs. of claws. Bodies are more expensive. Grocery store has whole lobsters for $4.99 a pound - sometimes on special for $3.99. Summertime they're more expensive with all the tourist restaurants open.
(3)

Bridget, do they ship?

I am drooling! 7.00 for 3#.
(2)

Bridget,

Enjoy and please take a bite for me!
(1)

Lobster is cheap at this time of year in Maine. Especially at the pounds on the coast. Cheaper than ground chuck. My DIL paid 7.00 for a 3 lb. bag of claws. I love all seafood and we have it all.
(4)

Bridget,

How wonderful! I love lobster! I wouldn’t know how to cook them though. We don’t have lobster here. We have tons of other seafood but no lobster 🦞.

The best lobster I ever had was in Maine while on vacation.
(2)

My DIL was over at the coast today. One of the lobster pounds had cleaned their tanks and she brought me a 3 lb bag of lobster claws. Made a batch of lobster salad and a pot of lobster bisque.
(5)

Need: Freezer containers from Amazon. Had gotten rid of old ones.
(1)

Llama,

What freezer containers did you buy?

I generally use zip lock bags for freezing in order to save space. I am moving away from plastic storage containers for the fridge and buying glass containers.

I did see some stainless steel ones on Amazon that I thought about but that knocks out defrosting in the microwave. I could defrost by leaving containers in the fridge for a day or two.
(1)

Need: It contains one tablespoon of sour salt, aka citric acid. I plan to freeze a bunch as I bought new freezer containers. We are only two people here.
(1)

Lama, beets are so healthy and delicious.

Do you do a sour Polish soup or a classic Borscht?

Looking at recipes, I am going to have to make this. Looks so yummy!
(2)

A crab pot of red beet soup is what's for dinner for many winter nights.
(3)

ITRR,

I got the combo of veggies and steak, and chicken. They were delicious but there is no way that it could be considered a single serving! You’re right, we can enjoy the leftovers.

When I do Japanese. I do sushi and I love the green tea. We order a couple and share them. I can’t eat leftover sushi. I don’t know why but it grosses me out.

My daughter will stick sushi in the fridge for the next day, but personally I only eat it freshly made. I love other leftovers but not sushi.

I agree that if a place isn’t up to par and raised prices too, they will go out of business because they have plenty of competition.
(1)

Need, that is the nice thing about going out to eat, leftovers! What kind of fajitas do you like? My favorite are portabella mushroom and mesquite grilled steak

I have noticed though that shrinkflation is getting to be a bit over the top in some restaurants. One of our favorite Japanese restaurants has made the portions so small now you aren't even full when you are done. And they raised the prices almost 50%. They will end up going out of business if they don't adjust the portions. We aren't big eaters, so I can't imagine how big eaters feel having to order multiple things just for 1 meal.
(1)

Restaurant portions are so large. My fajitas were enough for three meals! I ate a third of it, one tortilla with filling and put the rest in fridge.

I can understand why my friend who is divorced saying that for her, it isn’t worth cooking large amounts of food. She’s like I am, doesn’t eat a lot and the food has to be frozen or used for leftovers for another day.

Chinese takeout is the same. One meal is enough for three or four servings
(4)

Pam,

Your husband sounds like a good cook and a sweet guy.
(2)

Having a beefy, rice, veggie soup. Just leftovers in a nice bone broth. Works well to clean the fridge for the week.
(3)

Ive been wanting spaghetti and meatballs, and hubs made it so I am happy! and leftovers for lunch at work tomorrow. We are dogsitting Bella and she had turkey lunchmeat. She's happy. DD is babysitting her old room mates son for 4 days and they have 2 cats ( out of our feral pack,, they are living the good life these days) and getting him off to school and her to work and then to her condo to walk B is a stretch, so we babysit when she does.. LOL We found alot of freezer burned meatballs so those went to the ferals,, they don;t care!
(3)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter