Follow
Read More
Minestrone(ish)
(3)

Mexican for us tonight. Fajitas!
(2)

I love spicy because it’s therapeutic for my allergies!

I think I am becoming immune to heat though. I’m trying to figure out which type of heat helps more! LOL 😆

Sometimes I like spicy Chinese. Other times I go for cayenne, hot sauce, etc., or if I am eating Japanese, I will eat wasabi!
(2)

My granddaughters made white bean chicken chili. Very spicy and hot, but good.
(2)

I wanted a Dane, my husband didn’t. We compromised on a greyhound. Sweetest dog in the world.

I loved my neighbor’s Danes. She had two of them.
(2)

Yes, I had a Dane that left peas behind. Licked clean, alone in his dish. Except for his ability to speak and drive, Scooby Doo is an accurate depiction.
(2)

Willie, that is funny.

I had a dog that would pile the bits she didn't like next to the bowl. She did this with the garbage can too. She would shred the trash all over the downstairs and we finally got her to stop doing that and she started making a neat pile right next to the can. She wasn't going to stop getting in the trash, she just wouldn't make a mess that made me mad. She always had to know what was at the bottom of any trash can, her entire life. That's when I started emptying trash nightly and implemented very small cans in the house. Oh, she would do this any place we went if she wasn't watched closely.
(2)

cw - They are clever at avoiding what they don't want. I was thinking that the pet talk should be moved to that thread.

I think I will have the beef tomato veg soup I made yesterday for lunch today. So good in the cold weather!
(2)

Yes
(0)

All the dog talk had me checking if this was the pets thread. It's funny how dogs manage to eat around things they don't like, I remember BIL giving his dog some leftover stew and even after licking the sides of bowl clean every single pea was somehow left behind!
(4)

Thanks for the tips Ana. I have been training dogs for 25 years and I have tried everything.

Just so you know, the cheese isn't hot when I put the meds in. I melt it enough to shape around the pill and it it never hot enough to alter the meds. I live in the desert, so things being too hot is always on our radar.

This girl is probably the smartest GS or any dog for that matter, that I have ever worked with. It makes me wonder what her previous life was, she is a rescue and she continually amazes me.

As I am writing this it just registered, the humane society had her for a while and they kept her doped up because she is super energetic and when we got her she was mean. I bet she thinks that is going to happen with any meds. People say dogs don't remember, I totally disagree. Light bulb moment!

Thank you for your work. Rescue dogs make the greatest pets because people care enough to help them.
(5)

Dialysis is over and I'm going to Sunday brunch with friends. Something I haven't done in a while. I'm going to treat myself to a drink. I'll worry about fluid restrictions later.
(3)

Isthisrealyreal, I volunteer with a Great Dane rescue and have had lots of fun giving pills to dogs. One of mine takes a pill 2x/day and I put it in peanut butter on a cracker. (Sorry to hear your GS doesn’t like pb) When I give her pb and pill, everybody gets pb. That way, if anybody else ever needs meds, they’re less suspicious, having come to expect it.

Consider giving your dog a potential pill-hiding treat (with no pill) once or twice a day so it will become part of her routine. Like a meatball, sticky cheese... I have a GD that arrived not liking pb but hustles over for it now. The heat of melted cheese may affect the meds so maybe try a jar of cheese spread.

Having said all this, yes, I’ve had to pry open a dog’s mouth and flick a pill down her throat. And put a dog in a headlock from behind. Held the pill in her mouth with her muzzle wrapped closed, rubbing her throat until she swallowed.

One final dirty trick, which rewards bad behaviour but I was desperate. Helps if your dog is food motivated. I’ve had a few counter surfers here. Put the pill in food. Abandon food, while secretly watching. Wait for dog to steal food. Immediately yell and dog will gulp said food as fast as possible. Dog thinks she got away with something, which is bad, but the pill makes it in.

Good luck!
(3)

Pork done and putting together red beet soup tomorrow. Sour cream is a stir in.
(3)

I have German Shepherd that doesn't like pills. She is bratty about it.

She will eat the melted around, chilled cheese away from the pill and spit it out. Ugh! She refuses peanut butter. I can poke it down her throat and she will spit it up. Meds are a rodeo, thankfully she doesn't need anything on a regular basis.

I am so jealous of anyone that has a dog that wolfs down treats with meds in them.
(3)

Sushi
(4)

Pam,

True. That’s what the vet recommended. It works!
(0)

NHWM at least the peanut butter holds the pills in,, LOL
(1)

Pam,

We scramble eggs for our granddog too.

We do peanut butter for his meds or a small piece of cheese.
(1)

Home made beef tomato veg soup. Mmm - so good!
(5)

We feed the dogs scrambled eggs a few times a week for their coats and to get thier meds into them,, at the price of eggs now I told my hubs they are eating gourmet food!
(3)

itrr - you are best to have egg cups to eat the boiled eggs otherwise it can get pretty messy, though some just crack the shell open and spoon the egg into a small bowl then eat. Be sure to stab through the shell on the round end of the egg to allow air to get out before putting it in the boiling water so the shell doesn't crack. That can get messy too.
(2)

Stepson and I are having breakfast for dinner. Scrambled eggs with a little cheese and veggies, grits, piece of toast. I eat eggs scrambled at dinner or hard boiled at lunch. Not vey often for breakfast.
(4)

I am going to try those eggs, the boiled ones.

The others, yeah, it just doesn't work for me. It is easy but I can't get it right. Maybe because I subconsciously want my husband to prepare them :-)
(2)

Dinner tonight...Andouille Sausage and Chicken Gumbo, (no okra🤢at least in my gumbo) And Cheddar, Jalapeno Cornbread.
(3)

itrr - yes, for boiled eggs in the shell, after the water comes to a good boil. Then set the timer right away. Timing is important. A cooked white but runny yolk takes three minutes.

For the fried/poached eggs - the eggs are already in the pan so just add a little water and cover so they cook in the steam. Just check visually. It doesn't take long to see the yolks still soft covered with a thin layer of cooked white.
(2)

Golden, do you put the eggs in after the water boils?

Send, thanks for the recommended book.

Eggs are so versatile and healthy, we enjoy them often in many dishes and many preparations.

My hubby's family owned a restaurant and they prepared the eggs with the water. He can do it but, I still mess them up.
(2)

I haven’t ever tried that way of cooking eggs, Golden. Sounds good though.

My husband will eat soft boiled eggs with toast.

We eat them cooked just about any way.
(1)

Too Many Eggs
by
Mimi Smith Dvorak
The book can be downloaded free
too many eggs . com

Too Many Eggs is compendium of all things eggs. It is the most comprehensive book on egg cookery ever written. It contains hundreds of egg-specific recipes and the background stories behind the recipes.

The hardcover book not available until April/2023.
(1)

Exactly Golden.
That is how I cook my eggs too!
I call them washed eggs, because using less butter or olive oil, then adding water to poach the eggs may help lower cholesterol.

Not sure though.
The eggs are good cooked this way.
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter