Follow
Read More
My kids, as did I, grew up on what we called "egg toast" which was a three minute medium boiled egg into which you dipped toast fingers. It wasn't so long ago that I gave away the variety of crocheted and knitted "hats" that I had as boiled egg warmers. I think some of them were antiques. I still have a pick to stab the eggs with before boiling to let the air out of the round end so the shell doesn't crack in the boiling water. In a degree of horror we as kids used to watch my grandfather eat a soft boiled 2 minute egg which he almost drank out of the shell. I still have a few stainless steel egg cups but haven't used them in years and years.

For my money they are easier to prepare than poached eggs and also use no extra fat.

I semi poach/semi fry eggs in a non stick pan. Start them frying, then add a little water and put the lid on to steam/poach them. It gives you a nicely cooked tender white with a runny yolk, or less runny if you prefer by cooking them longer.
(2)

I have only seen eggs eaten out of the shell on television. I don't know if anyone in the USA knows how to cook those. :-)
(2)

Dippy or dipping eggs would be soft boiled eggs in an egg cup. We used to have these a lot when I was a kid, now I think it's a fussy way to eat an egg and I can't understand the point.
(1)

cw: Heat up the stollen and good as new!
(2)

Oh, love poached eggs.

I will crack an egg into a soup if it doesn't have enough protein. Easy poached egg and adds a creaminess to the soup when you break it.

I, also, like to add raw peanuts. Crazy good!
(2)

Me too! I love dipping my toast too. I love poached eggs too.
(0)

Yep, Dippy eggs. If they are cooked right, over medium is yellow runny and whites done. That is my fave. I don't like undercooked whites. Love dipping my whole wheat in that hot runny yolk. Mmmm

My cousin eats his sunnyside up, I can't even look at those things.
(2)

Drippy eggs? That’s cute.

We didn’t call them that. We said over easy. One of my daughters says ‘runny’ though.

Pam,

My dad liked ‘over easy’ eggs. Mom liked hers cooked well done. Anything that my dad had, I wanted to try. I like them better over easy than well done.
(1)

I grew up calling them Hoagies, then in college in MD they were Subs. In New england where we vacation they are called Grinders. Do you eat "dippy eggs".. I learned that term growing up,, my hubs and DD call them that too,, I guess they are called Over Easy alot of places! We also say French Toast. Either way its yummy!!
(2)

ITRR it's Eggy Bread in this house 😝. Some folk call it French Toast, depending on your ancestoral roots.
(4)

Homemade lentil soup.
(4)

cw,

My oldest daughter loves brioche. The younger one prefers a croissant. I like both! 😊
(0)

ITRR,

Funny! We all have our own regional food language.

I can believe egg bread being a UK thing. They say a lot of things differently than we do.

When I first heard sandwiches being called ‘subs’ or ‘heroes’ it sounded funny to me.

Just like sodas. We say ‘soft drink.’ Others say ‘pop.’
(0)

Golden, all garage doors have a bypass in case of power outage.
(2)

itrr - garage door to underground parking. There is no security gate which I gather has not been a problem. It is in a pretty safe location.
(1)

Golden, are you referring to the garage door at the condo or a security gate?

Most security gates have a bypass switch near or on the reader. But the truly scary thing is that most of them can be easily pushed open. Definitely worth checking into because they really aren't secure just a deterrent.

We just built a gate and checked into the auto open. Yikes!
(1)

I heard Gordon Ramsey call it egg bread on a cooking video. Could be a Great Britain thing or a GR thing.

I saw where you can use melted French vanilla ice cream for a quick French toast, apparently it has more egg and makes it work. I find it a terrible waste of good ice cream :-)

Need, I found out the hard way to ask if I don't understand. I just didn't know that an undressed hen was not the ready to cook bird. OMLands, I am pretty sure that old country boy is still laughing at this city girl. I thought I was smart, no I don't want my bird dressed, thank you very much though. Boy was I embarrassed.

Here they ask that for dressing on the po-boy. Weird how it is so regional.
(2)

Hm yes, french toast is what we've always called it too. When I hear egg bread I think of challah or brioche.
(4)

itrr - As far as I know Canadians call it French toast. Never heard of it being called egg bread. Egg bread is made from a yeast bread dough with eggs mixed in the dough.

glad - there should be instructions with the automatic doors. Thinking of the condo and wondering what they do if the power is off.
(3)

Just a comment on knowing how to open your automatic garage doors. There were many people in the Marshall fire that lost vehicles because they didn't know how to open the doors. They had to find rides out with anyone passing by. It is very fortunate there were not more lives lost in that wildfire!
(2)

ITRR,

Isn’t food slang funny? People who aren’t familiar with New Orleans lingo look at servers like they are crazy when asking if they want their Po-boy dressed!

Well some say ‘poor boy’ and others say ‘po-boy’ for a sandwich made on French bread.

Tourists will say, “What do you mean by asking if I want my sandwich dressed?” They don’t know that it’s adding lettuce and tomato.

I didn’t know the ‘egg bread’ term. I learned new food slang!

Louisiana calls it ‘lost bread’ or ‘French toast.’
(1)

If it is stale you can make French toast or do Canadians call it egg bread?

That would be yummy!
(1)

When I was shopping I saw the last Christmas stollen left in the store was marked down from the previously ridiculous $12.99 to $4.49.... I hope it's a good one! 😋

OMG yes it is, almost as good as home made!
(3)

Golden, like glad said, you push the lever back.

Once you look at it, it is pretty easy to see what you do.

Be mindful of pinching yourself though. Not that you would, I just always warn of the things I found out the painful way.

Glad, yes, dusting the garage, not everything and not regularly, just items that could be a problem if dust gets thick. Tucson is the as dusty a place as I have ever lived. You can dust in the morning and write on the surface that night, never ending.
(2)

Itrr, dusting the garage? 😁😁

Golden to reengage the door you need to push the lever back into position.
(2)

itrr - thx. I didn't know that. Do you re-engage it by pulling the string again? I can wait an hour for pretty well anything so it's not a big deal, just an inconvenience. Re the red cabbage - I like adding a chopped up apple and a little apple cider vinegar and sugar. It gives it a sweet and sour flavour, but any way is good for me too. I like to chew on a chunk of raw cabbage for a snack.

glad - no it doesn't freeze shut. Going out today would have been fine. it's nice out. Anything above minus 20 C (minus 4 F) in January is a bonus here. Should be OK now. We don't lose power very often these days and usually for less than an hour. I still tend to cook larger quantities. No I don't get tired of eating the same thing for a few days. Dd and I are the same. if we like it we are happy with it and it makes life easier.
(2)

Glad, I have a double door and I find that once the first roller goes around the curve it is super easy to get the door up.

If it is difficult, check your runners, they can get yucky and make the movement heavier. You would hear this when your motor is lifting, it sounds like it is working to hard.

Ours doesn't get used very often. It stores toys and our vehicles are parked in the driveway, so a couple of times I had to dust the runners, that's how I even think of crazy things, like dusting the garage. ;-)
(2)

Golden, doesn't sound like a good time to go out anyway. Does your garage door freeze shut?

Like ITRR said, you should be able to disengage the opener motor by pulling on the rope that drops from the motor. But, in my case I have a double door, it is heavy and I don't think I could open it by myself.

Red cabbage sounds good. Do you get tired of making such large batches, having them in the freezer and eating it so often? I do. Gives me an idea.....
(1)

Golden, if your electric openers are like ours, you need to pull the string that hangs down to disengage it from the motor, then you can just raise the door easily but, not until it is disengaged.

Oh my, I love red cabbage, any way, any time, any any but, especially with onions and Bacon fried up. Mmmmm!
(1)

I got the mother of all red cabbages in my last grocery order. It fills the crisper. I want to make braised red cabbage with apple, onion, bacon and caraway seeds. I think I will cook up half first which will be enough to give me some to eat and left overs to freeze and still have some raw cabbage for eating. Worst comes to worst I can cut up the other half, blanch and freeze, and use it for cooking. Braised red cabbage is one of my favourites.
(4)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter