Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
My ex-SIL has developed diabetes from her RA medication and is now insulin dependent living in AL. I got her a continuous monitor which makes it easier for the AL staff to help her keep her blood sugar in a good range. Like most elderly, she has a sweet tooth but seems to do well with small servings of ice cream, muffins, cookies, watermelon and cantaloupe which are stocked in her room. She eats lunch and dinner in the dining room. Sometimes she takes breakfast in the dining room but often the staff will bring her a serving spoonful of eggs and a muffin she enjoys in her room with a pot of coffee.

The only time she has serious blood sugar issues is following a visit from one group of family members. She is confused when her sugar goes high; I think the high sugar may be at least one cause of her "confusion episodes". Apparently one family member is sneaking some form of candy or other super sweet in their purse during visits, so I have (as guardian) restricted all visitors other than her daughter from taking any package or container into her room. Problem went away but now I am being sued by a family member who "doesn't like being treated this way". I don't have any "direct" evidence but common sense tells me something was going on. I hate the hassle of another court date but I don't think my solution is too inconvenient. Any suggestions on other ways to handle this? They can still visit in the common visitation room (where everything is video recorded) and keep their purse with them. I don't see storing the purse in a locker before they are allowed in her room treating them poorly, but I am a not particularly diplomatic result oriented person...
(4)

Barb, you must try the new Golden Girls pop-up restaurant and let us all know how it is!

https://nypost.com/2022/10/26/nyc-golden-girls-pop-up-restaurant-coming-to-manhattan/
(2)

So, breakfast works for dinner sometimes, right? Eggs and toast.
(5)

Cashew,

My mom ate that way. A bite here and bite there. I did the same thing. Sometimes I still do.
(4)

I cut a banana in half for my mom.... but, it was too much. So, I broke off 2 small pieces. She was full and amazed at how big the banana was. lol
I had the rest of the banana for dinner.
(5)

Isthisreallyreal,

Yep! So true.

Our minds go blank at times. I should make up a list to refer to.

I am lucky that I like a variety of things. I hate when I feel like I am in a rut, which is boring.

Sometimes I find myself doing the same thing when we eat out. I stare at the menu for a few minutes before deciding what to get. Other times I know what I will order before even arriving at the restaurant.

There are many options on restaurant menus to choose from and just to make the task a bit more intriguing, the server will list several ‘chef’s specials’ to choose from as well. My husband says that the ‘chef’s specials’ lists are becoming as long as the regular menus.
(0)

Need, for me, deciding what to cook is the biggest challenge.

My honey sent me an email with all of the things he would be happy to eat anytime. That way I can go to that list and decide.

It really works, when I remember the list :-)

We are having leftover soup, praying it is still delicious.

I went to great lengths to make only 2 servings, ended up with 4. Huge improvement, yippee. There was a time it would have been 12-16 servings. Ugh!
(2)

I have no idea what I am going to make because I don’t know what I am feel like eating.

Anyone else ever feel this way? Grrrrrr…

I guess that I will go into the kitchen and stare into my fridge for a couple of minutes. LOL 😆

If nothing jumps out at me as appealing then I will order something from somewhere.
(1)

Sounds good Pam, I have some turkey necks thawing in the fridge for browning and baking with sauerkraut. A little caraway seed goes well in this dish. Apples would work especially with pork. I have done pork chops baked with apples, prunes, and raisins. Pork and fruit go well together.
(3)

we got some home made Amish saurkraut at the market, and hubs browned pork chops and then baked them it. I will have an awesome lunch at work tomorrow!
(5)

Indian food is delicious!
(2)

Hi Polarbear - my local Thai restaurant has a pretty small menu because of our small population base but I know it used to be a popular lunch option, but since covid they went all take so out it's hard to judge how they are doing. I know their curries are very good!
(1)

cwillie- I love Thai food, such exotic and bold flavors. I love the Tom Yum soup, the beef salad. Still many more to try out. Hope the Thai restaurant near you is good.
(2)

We have a new Indian restaurant in town! That will be a nice addition, the only other slightly adventurous restaurant is Thai.... I hope locals are willing to give it a try! I stopped in to ask for a menu to take home and I've been on line checking unfamiliar items and circling all the things I want to try.
(3)

Yogurt and more yogurt. Lol! I'm addicted to the stuff
(2)

A friend of mine likes to say, “All a good cook needs are good recipes to follow.”

I don’t disagree with her comment. This is how she cooks. She only follows recipes. She predominantly bakes though, which is what she really enjoys.

She purchases prepared food in the grocery or take out from restaurants for her meals. She doesn’t want to cook a meal just for herself. She has no issue baking bread, cookies, brownies or cakes though! She loves to share her baked goods.

I told her that recipes are fabulous when a person is learning to cook but in my opinion a person becomes a great cook when they learn to be creative and can cook without recipes. That’s what makes cooking fun too, to make a dish that is completely our own.

My mom and grandmother were ‘dump and pour’ cooks who never needed recipes to create a meal and everything was absolutely delicious! I can cook without recipes too.

I still love researching recipes and will try ones that I find interesting. I enjoy reading different food blogs because I love seeing what people cook.
(2)

Homemade chicken broth or preferably stock made with bones for added health benefits is certainly the best tasting. I love omitting salt too. I have to watch my sodium intake due to having high blood pressure. Salt definitely spikes my blood pressure.

When I do buy canned I always buy no salt added or low sodium.

I prefer the flavor of spices and herbs. I dislike food that is heavily salted. I do love a bit of heat! I love peppers!
(1)

Cwillie, I think chicken has just become the go to broth. I make my own bone broths and chicken is the ONLY one that can be done in the house, everything else stinks WAAAAAY to much.

I have started experimenting with soups, we eat lots of them and the same please, same old gets boring.

So, tonight I did a pork, beef and mushroom broth, slow simmered with onion, garlic, star anise, clove, a dash of cinnamon, parsley, bay leaves and basil. My broths are premade and frozen so I only have to season them. For the ingredients I used thin sliced beef, red, orange, yellow peppers, green and red cabbage, white onion, whiting miso, hot chili oil and udon noodles. Served with fresh cilantro and green onions.

My honey loved it, I loved it and those ingredients will be in future trials. Who would have thought? Not me, I was just using the fresh ingredients I had on hand that needed used. I love when that happens :-)
(5)

cw,

Cooking is a science! I suppose that this experiment didn’t quite live up to your expectations. Live and learn. Or at least we find out our preferences for preparing certain dishes.

It’s true that sometimes the tried and true methods may be best.

I try different ways of cooking too. Some work out well and others don’t.

I always cook my stuffed bell peppers like my mother and grandmother did. They baked them in the oven. Actually, I’ve cooked them a couple of ways, one using leftover rice like my mom did or using raw rice into the stuffing mixture. Both worked.

I wanted to try making stuffed peppers in the instant pot. I found a recipe on a food blog that looked good. They came out perfectly. The recipe called for rice and it wasn’t mushy at all. Maybe you just need to tweak it a bit.
(1)

And the verdict is.... mushy rice.
The IP is certainly easy with the dump in the pot and go but you have so much more control stove top, it's a simple matter to add a little more liquid or do a taste test and adjust the seasonings as you go.
(3)

I like making egg roll in a bowl (AKA crack slaw) too, it's the same idea but different seasoning.
(3)

cw,

That sounds good! I love cabbage. My husband hates it. I only cook it when he goes out of town.

I feel the same way as you do about the broth but for some people I think they enjoy a blending of flavors.

I remember reading an onion soup recipe that said to combine beef and chicken stock or broth for a flavorful soup.

I have done the onion soup both ways. A combination or just beef. If I am out of chicken I am not going to the store just for one item.
(3)

And when it comes to on line recipes what's with them always calling for chicken broth when the meat in the recipe is not chicken? I mean, they do sell beef and vegetable broth too🤔
(3)

I'm trying my cabbage roll casserole in the instant pot. In every recipe I've looked up the amount of liquid and the time to pressure cook is totally different so I'm uncertain about how it will turn out, I half expect either crunchy cabbage or mushy rice (or both!)
(3)

Bundle,

Too funny 😁. I definitely giggled when I read your banana bread recipe.
(1)

i am a terrible, terrible cook, so please be careful when i give any cooking advice.

🍌🍌🍌
banana bread

ingredients
1 banana
1 bread

instructions:
1. add banana and bread to a bowl
2. mix well for 1 hour
(1)

I had cheese ravioli with a pesto sauce.
Mom was in argument mode tonight. She wanted a large regular meal....yeah, not happening.She is only barely eating, a scoop of ice cream is too much and she eats half or less. So, I give her pudding, yogurt, ice cream, jello and meal replacement shakes...soft things.

She managed half a cup of pudding and half a slice of soft buttered bread (not toast).
I think she just really wanted to feel like she was chewing something.
(4)

I've eaten frog's legs too. They were good and escargot in garlic butter. Yum! Bison burgers are good, and octopus but its a bit chewy, I think I had some alligator once. When I lived in Montreal a friend and I used to go for lobster feeds. Miss that and the scallops too. Slightly different but in Scotland I loved haggis and especially blood pudding. The Icky Sticky Toffee pudding was great too but sooo rich! I couldn't eat it now. One of my best meals in Europe was in a little out of the way Italian restaurant. I ordered Veal Scaloppini and it was awesome! Great memories!
(5)

I've eaten frog legs...I ordered them as an appetizer, years ago. They were tasty.
I've eaten an ostrich burger. Ostrich is red meat and it looked like a regular burger and was pretty tasty.

Tonight was a cottage pie. It's one of the few things I can still get Mom to eat. However, I have to call it a beef and mashed potato casserole. If I call it a cottage or a shepherd's pie...she claims she hates that!
(6)

It's Taco Tuesday. At least that is what I bought all the ingredients for.

After reading here, I am putting the baby vegetables (carrots, yellow squash, zucchini, french cut green beans, pattypan squash), red bell pepper, shallots, and mushrooms, in the roaster oven.

Searing the pork tenderloin, then it goes into the same oven.

While it cooks, I can imagine a gravy. I love gravy. It will help dH gain some weight back.
(6)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter