Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
I’m not cooking tonight. Leftovers.
(0)

ITRR you can do them at 275 for longer too - totally fall apart - but I didn't leave myself enough time. And you can finish them off by grilling in the oven. or grill. I don't use BBQ sauce - just a rub or salt and pepper but sauce brushed on before grilling would be great for those who like it,
(1)

Golden, I am going to have to try that.

I usually do the slow cooker and finish melting the fat off on the grill.

Your method sounds easy and a great way to get tender, flavorful ribs.

I am hungry from these great meal posts :-)
(1)

Oven roasted salt and pepper ribs and salad. I just season the ribs. wrap them in foil and bake them at 325 till done -several hours. So easy!
(3)

Sounds good cwillie.

I prefer roasted veggies, something about stewed veggies never tasted delish to me.
(1)

Tonight I'm having what I call deconstructed stew - beef done in the instant pot paired with veggies roasted in my little cuisinart oven, with gravy ladled over it all.
(6)

Glad,

You found Prejean’s gumbo recipe!

I have not eaten ostrich. I have seen the eggs before in a museum. They are extremely large eggs. An ostrich would feed a lot of people!

My grandfather left his hunting riffle to my uncle. My uncle died shortly before my mom did. He lived to be 96. I guess he passed the riffle down to one of his sons.

Have you eaten frog legs? I think my husband tried those when he was younger. They sounds gross to me.

Polar,

Things are definitely not made the same. Yes, things are made all over the place now. That’s why it’s so hard to figure out what size clothing to buy. Nothing is cut true to size anymore.
(4)

NHWM, I totally agree with you about appliances are now made to be replaced in a few years. That’s how the manufacturers make money. I got a free crockpot from someone on Craigslist about 10 years ago because she wanted a new one. The one she gave me was made in the USA by Rival. I was so happy to get it because most if not all new appliances are now made in China or some other countries. USA made is still the best.
(4)

Ahhh, quail, pheasant, andouille gumbo?

https://www.nola.com/entertainment_life/eat-drink/prejean-s-pheasant-quail-and-andouille-gumbo-recipe/article_ff196a90-06ba-57a4-aab8-f8fa4d4d00e0.html

My dad was quite the hunter. I am sure as a kid I ate game meat, pheasant, deer for sure.

Anyone ever eat ostrich? I did once at a restaurant, quite tasty!
(4)

Polar,

It sounds as if you are confident in using your stovetop cooker. That makes a world of difference.

I was a bit fearful after my neighbor exploded her meatballs! LOL So, I went with one that had safety precautions built into it. I have the 8 quart with the sauté feature which I love!

When cwille mentioned the rocker thingamajig on the stovetop one. I could picture it and hear it all over again.

I instantly thought about the delicious meals that my mom made in hers. It was a pleasant memory for me.

Mom was like you. She knew what she was doing with it. She used it often. She never had any explosions either.

I suppose anything is subject to being defective or suddenly breaking, or parts wearing out and whether it’s a stovetop or electric it can break.

My toaster is extremely old and still works fine. My coffeemaker is rolling along.

I remember one year when my entire family was over for a holiday dinner and my microwave went out! I wasn’t very happy.

Most appliances aren’t built to be repaired anymore. Unfortunately they are designed to be replaced.
(3)

Hmm, all these stories about stove top explosions, I wonder perhaps IPs are safer. When online to search and found a number of accidents and injuries due to IPs explosions. Supposedly, IPs are safer, but they haven't been around that long, unlike traditional pressure cookers. I hope they are indeed safer.

When I use my stove top pressure cooker, I make sure the lid is secured, and the flame is just high enough so not to build too much pressure. It's been almost 10 years and no issues. Knock on wood.
(5)

Nola.com at one time printed Prejean’s recipe for pheasant, quail and andouille gumbo. Maybe it’s still online to see.

He has been a long time vendor at jazz fest. There is always a very long line to order.
(2)

The only wild game I've ever had is Bambi, mom's neighbour always promised to bring us some moose but it was always just more venison. Deer pepperoni and salami are popular🦌
(3)

I like deer meat when it’s prepared properly. I never thought that I would because in my mind I was going to eat Bambi! Same with rabbits. I had a pet rabbit and I am instantly reminded of a cute little bunny. I have tried rabbit though. It was good.

I haven’t tried the other wild animals such as caribou.

I love duck. My grandfather used to go hunting occasionally and he cooked duck and deer.

There is a vendor at our jazz fest that sells pheasant, quail and andouille gumbo. It is fabulous! He owns a restaurant in Lafayette, Louisiana, which is in the heart of Cajun country. Cajuns cook anything and everything! The men are fantastic cooks. They fish and hunt and cook all of it.

I have eaten alligator. Louisiana cuisine is interesting. There are even Chinese restaurants that have incorporated crawfish and alligator into their menu.

One thing that any Louisiana native will tell you is, ‘Don’t order Louisiana food in other states unless the owners are transplants from Louisiana.’

Unless they are a native or they have been taught by a true Louisiana cook, they are sure to screw it up and it will be awful. It certainly won’t be authentic to our region.

I love sushi and sashimi. I would have never thought that I would be eating that because I was a picky eater when I was a kid.

I eat calamari now too. The very best is served at our Greek festival. I still think the lamb dishes are the highlight of Greek food.

What food do you eat now that you thought that you would never have tried?

I don’t think I could ever eat snake! Or a rat! Certainly not a cat or dog either.

I watched a show on food considered to be delicacies. Some dishes were incredibly strange, such as duck embryos. No way! I would gag! I have had caviar but not escargot.

I think it’s all about what we are exposed to. People eat all sorts of things.
(0)

Yeah, reindeer are caribou. Pronghorn eat sagebush and it flavours the meat.
(4)

AAhhh, so good to know I am not losing it completely!

Sagey? Like sage the plant? Oh, spice? Naturally?

Is reindeer actually caribou?
https://www.exoticmeatmarkets.com/Buy-Reindeer-Caribou-Bone-In-Leg-Roast-p/reindeerboneinlegroast5to6lb.htm
(1)

Not chili, it was moose blood as R was butchering a moose in the kitchen. We did a good job. Ground up the tougher meat, and vacuum sealed it all in packages and froze it. We also did pronghorn which was too "sagey" for me. For wild meat I like caribou the best but you can't get much of it. Deer here have a "swampy" flavour to me. Moose, elk and caribou are what I like best and the bones make great soup.
(3)

Glad,

I want to hear that story about the chili. Sounds interesting to say the least 😆.

It has to be shocking to see food shooting up like a rocket and landing on the ceiling!

All sorts of mishaps happen in the kitchen.

Many years ago our friends came over for dinner. My children were really young.

My friend said to me that she smelled something burning. I didn’t smell it. I jokingly said to her that she had too much wine to drink and that nothing was burning.

She laughed and said, “No, I think you have had one too many glasses of wine before dinner because I definitely smell something burning in your oven!”

Sure enough, she was right. I forgot about the bread that I was heating up. It was more than a little toasty! The rest of the dinner was fine.

Another time my neighbor’s little boy kept telling me that my dinner was burning in my oven. I didn’t believe him because he was always joking around. I laughed it off until I saw my husband with the fire extinguisher!

I find that I screw up when I am super rushed or trying to do several things at once.

I am a good cook but every cook has crazy stories that they can tell. We always laugh about it later. It may or may not be so funny when it happens.
(2)

Seems to me I remember a Golden story about moose meat chili on the ceiling?
(1)

Cwille,

My husband would love you! He studies manuals and when something breaks he orders parts to repair them. Yes, like you, he doesn’t like waste either, plus it is the engineering part of his brain that is in constant motion.

My MIL used to tell me the most adorable stories about him as a child. She said that once he was lying down on his bed, perfectly still, and staring at the ceiling. So still, that for a second she thought that her 10 year old son may have been dead! 😝 LOL

Then she said that he got up and started sketching designs for his room. She had to bring him to the library so he could look up what he needed to do and then he proceeded with building control panels that operated everything in his room. Too funny! Yeah, I married a geek!

Golden,

Pigs feet? Oh my gosh! That beats my neighbors meatballs on the ceiling.

My dad was the only one in our family that ate hogs head cheese. I was so grossed out by the name that I wouldn’t taste it. Daddy loved it!

I believe he ate something else called liver cheese, whatever that is. 🤮 Yuck! LOL
(3)

When I was a young child our neighbour had a stove top pressure cooker. One day while cooking jellied pigs feet (head cheese) it exploded and there was semi-cooked pieces of pigs feet dripping from the ceiling. My girlfriend called me over to see it. I was quite impressed - to the extent I never got a pressure cooker. I was afraid of them.

Now I have an electric one that works well, though the top wouldn't come off the other day. The remedy was cold water on the top which worked. I guess I need a new seal.
(4)

I never thought my stove top pressure cooker was all that dangerous but I know many people are afraid of them. Mine has (had?) a rocker gauge and a safety valve, you just need to make sure you keep the heat barely high enough to set the rocker going. The problem is that the lid twists on and the handles needed to do that have broken off (I had the darndest time getting to my dinner that night!🤣). I discovered they do sell parts on line so the reluctant-to-waste-anything part of my brain hasn't allowed me to toss it yet. All the same I'm using the instant pot way more than I ever used my presto, it's just way more versatile and convenient.
(3)

Sous vide is strange to me because it is cooking in a plastic bag. Do any of you remember those frozen roast beef bags that you dropped in water to boil and eat? Sorry, I can’t remember the brand. Maybe it was Banquet or something else.

My mom got so upset with me because my neighbor couldn’t cook and she served me one of those frozen beef meals on toast. You know, an open faced sandwich. She also gave me instant iced tea.

Mom asked me what I ate for lunch at the neighbor’s house and I said that I had a delicious roast beef sandwich with wonderful iced tea. Mom was so upset that I liked it! My mother cooked everything from scratch and couldn’t imagine me eating it. She brewed her own tea.

I loved my neighbor. I hung out with her son. We watched Batman together. I think that I liked it because it was something different and my neighbor was so nice that I didn’t care that she couldn’t cook from scratch or brew tea like my mom.
(3)

I did try a weird thing in my microwave awhile back. I guess I was reading a food blog or something.

Anyway the article mentioned making a poached egg in the microwave. They even said that chefs do it all the time in restaurants.

I tried it. Yep, it works. But it only takes a tiny amount of time. I hate overcooked eggs!

I will admit that I am awful at poaching an egg in a pan! I order mine from my favorite restaurants!
(1)

Cashew,

It’s true. These small appliances are terrific! Technology is fantastic.
(1)

Polar,

Thanks.

I am not as familiar with other eye surgeries but cataract surgery is so easy. Quick and painless for me! The doctor was surprised at how fantastic my results were.

Oh, I didn’t even mention seeing colors. I hadn’t realized how dull colors had become. Colors are so vivid again.

Since I no longer have to wear glasses. I treated myself to a beautiful pair of designer sunglasses.

I never spent a lot for sunglasses before because I had to buy the ugly ones that went over my regular glasses.

You could ask your eye doctor about the surgery that you are interested in. Medical advancements are incredible.
(3)

NHWM, losing eye sight is so scary. I used to have better than 20/20 vision, but now I need reading glasses. I thought about getting laser to restore my vision but I am not quite ready. So glad your eye sight is restored. That's so great.
(3)

And yes....sous vide cooking just strikes me as pretentiousness and inane.
(1)

@Need
I don't really notice a difference between baking and air frying in flavor. However, the air fryer is better at crisping, cooks faster, is great for frozen veggies that just go to soggy messes in the microwave, uses less energy and doesn't heat up the whole house...good in summer, bad in winter ;)

I love my Instant pot. I pressure cook often and have had both stove top and electric. I liked them both but I only have the instant pot now.

I don't even own an actual stove. I took it out years ago when my folks started to wander away from it while cooking! I find that a simple induction cooktop that I keep in a cabinet, along with my instant pot and air fryer are sufficient and use a LOT less energy and no risk of Mom being able to get them onto the counter, plugged in, and activated...unlike turning a knob on a stove top.
(3)

Thanks, Polar

That answers my question. Honestly, I am a bit intimidated by both, electric and stovetop. LOL

I do feel that it is a matter of practicing. I have been enjoying my husband’s cooking with it and I haven’t really cooked with it. I was more like his prep cook, so I didn’t know how to use it.

Okay, let me tell the whole story. I was going blind and couldn’t read the thing! My glasses no longer worked on my left eye. My right eye was getting worse but I could still see some.

I had cataracts, which is a normal part of aging. The one in my right eye was the typical kind. No big deal.

My doctor explained that the cataract in my left eye wasn’t typical and that it would rob me of my vision quite rapidly. She explained that she could not improve my vision with glasses for that eye.

My eye doctor told me to schedule surgery, so I did.

I made the appointment with the ophthalmologist. They have to do pre op testing. When they tested my vision in my left eye I was totally blind.

I couldn’t see any letters on the chart at all. My response was, “Are there letters up there?” To which she replied, “I knew that you wouldn’t be able to see it but I am required to do a vision test as part of your pre op visit.”

Let me tell you, cataract surgery was the quickest and easiest surgery that I have ever had. Done in 15 minutes!

I have perfect vision now. It’s bizarre! When I went for my post op, I could see everything! I mean everything. I don’t even have reading glasses anymore. She said that most people don’t get the results that I did. Most people still need reading glasses. I am thrilled and can now read all of the letters on my Instant Pot. The thing that really shocked me was being able to thread a needle. I saw the hole and got the thread in on the very first try. Amazing, huh?

Okay, getting back to sous vide, I kept thinking that sous vide was crazy too but my husband insisted that we try it at least once. I am not fond of anything about it. I don’t care if chefs or other gourmet cooks use the technique or not. I am glad that I am not alone in my way of thinking, since you don’t care for it either.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter