Follow

We all have a tendency to put are selves down, I wasn't patient enough, or I should of been there more ect...
We don't give are selves enough pats on the back for the good things we have done. Most see it's as bragging. Id like to hear some bragging about are selves.

Find Care & Housing
Wonderful idea for a thread, Anxietynacy! So last month, my BIL celebrated a milestone birthday at a theme park resort, and we all made plans to go as a family. He is part of our 3 person team (hubby, me and him) + hired caregivers to care for their mom in our home. Since he was the guest of honor, we set it up for him to stay the whole week of the trip, and my hubby and I swapped out, hubby went first part of that week and I went the last part. There were a few days when it was just me and the caregiver taking care of my MIL. I am proud of myself and thankful to God for a healthy attitude as I made meals, washed her gowns and bedding, and spent time caring for her. Also, it was amid intake people coming for new hospice care, so it was busy! I was ready to play when it was my turn to go, and I have a grand time❤️
(6)

Caringin, that's awesome, it's great when everyone works together so everyone can have there fun too. Doesn't happen enough 😊
(0)

When asked about deceased...Our response was like Oh, John is cutting the grass, fixing the car, etc.. Telling them they died throws them back to initial grief. This way they think deceased is happy doing their thing.
(1)

I can't take credit for the marvelous parents I had, who kindly taught me to be a good person (would that I were good as they taught me to be; they were wonderful people).
I have been lucky to live a "lucky" life. At 82 I can still get around well and walk a lot, and that is not credit to me; that's good luck.
I learned early on to be frugal, to save, and to learn that I didn't need "luxury" to be happy, so I was never spent a whole lot, and was able to save well.
That's again good education and good luck.
I was able to make myself an RN without much expense to speak of. I absolutely loved my career. I was able to save well because of it.
I have hooked up with great people in my life after a couple of learning experiences that were trying.

I would say I have been lucky. Not especially bright or courageous. Just LUCKY.
I wonder if at least one half--probably more--of it isn't just luck?
(3)

Alva it's all about perspective, some people would have your life and pick out the negatives about it.

You make the choice to see the good in it. Amazing quality.

I enjoy being frugal, too.
(1)

I am proud of the person I was, and the person I’ve become. I look forward to seeing what other great things I’ll do in life. I have always, at all times, followed my values. One value most of all: be a good person.
(3)

I'm so proud of how far I've came the last 6 months. From a very dark place in my life to really true Peacefulness.

I went to moms, 3 times this week, yeah she is pretty miserable, yup I see back pain written all over her face.

But I've accepted the fact that I have no power to change this situation. But I do have the power to not go if I don't feel like I can't deal with it. I do have the power to not bring it home. I do have the power to be happy inspite of my mothers pain. Her and my brother chose this, not me so why was I carrying all the pain. I'm not sure, honestly.

My caregiveing journey is not over, I have no doubt that I will have bad days, so I'm not saying I'm not going to have hard times, but I'll get though them.

Many of you led me to the watering hole, but I drank the water!!
(3)

Despite getting burned out at the end with my mother , I know I took excellent care of both my parents for a decade . And when I finally had to place them I was a strong advocate .

I stepped up as much as I could to help DH with his father . Admittedly burned out faster though that time . It is what it is . We all have our limits . I accept that .
(2)

The people here in 2012-2013 that taught me the ropes when my husband and I became responsible for his parents ( FIL - double amputee, MIL - late stage vascular dementia) I listened and learned - thank goodness. They didn't survive to spend the last of their money, but we had the medicaid spend down going right on track.

Here I learned about hospices that have inpatient facilities, I searched until I found one near my son's home over a year before we found ourselves in that position. No need to rush around and make bad choices during severe stress. Thank God for this forum, bone mets and brain mets are a horrific way to die.

We lost mom in May, even though I was long distance, I was able to help my family by insisting to the other siblings that we must pay hourly wages to the family members who were insisting on taking care of our mom in her home (and convincing them to accept the money!) I did the agency and caregiver arrangements that supported those family caregivers at the end. We all know how it is, they were too slammed by the work of the minute to make a phone call.
(2)

i absolutely love the intention behind this discussion, thank you Nancy. and kudos to you for the newly found peace you've discovered <3

I am proud of myself for sticking it out as my grandpa's primary caregiver for the past 5 1/2 years. Doing this by myself, learning EVERYTHING, on my own and have managed just fine! he is set up well - in home aid services and safety measures through out home. well fed and healthy, without any serious illnesses (only one bad fall last december), thank goodness.

I've done a good job, at something i did not want to sign up for, but assumed the responsibility because it had to be done and there was no one else willing.

Pat on my back and on everyone out there! and happy labour day weekend!
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter