Follow
Read More
Sooohappy:
You let us know that Justice did prevail and that the monsters lost.
I am wondering if, after the outcome of the action, they are leaving you be in peace?
That is to say, are they no longer troublesome, and are you able to avoid them in your current life?
Understand your reticence to discuss them a whole lot, but would love reassurance that your life remains much more peaceful?
(3)

Know who to trust, and who not to trust. Stay away from the second group.
(3)

My dermatologist said "The ghost look is in" referring to me.
(2)

Geaton,

I guess it’s hit or miss. I have spent tons of time outdoors. I have to say that I wasn’t really good about wearing sunscreen.

So, I shouldn’t be surprised that my dermatologist found a spot. I went to have moles looked at and she decided to do a full body check and she found a spot on the back of my calf. Not a spot where I would easily notice it.

Sun damage is so common.

I am going to start using sunscreen and wearing a hat.
(2)

In thinking about the skin cancer thing... both my FIL and SFIL were mostly scandinavian and never laid out in the sun (plus wore hats) and both got skin cancers on their faces.

My Mom, who spent a lot of time in the FL sun before the years of sunscreen (and who is 100% Mediterranean) also has skin cancers on her face and legs (Mohs).

When I was a kid I spent time in FL pre-sunscreen and later in my teen years did the oil-slathering/baking (and I'm only 50% Mediterranean) and so far have had 1 skin cancer removed from my shoulder -- and trust me: no one has had more epic sunburns than me (purple, blistered).

My husband (a sailor and someone who spent a lot of time in the sun mostly without sunscreen) is mostly Scandinavian (and had some epic sunburns) has had multiple skin cancers removed from his face (Mohs) including a cream-based chemo peel.

His mom, my MIL, is also mostly Scandinavian and baked herself in the sun with oil in the 60s and 70s until she was brown like a berry but has yet to show up with any skin cancers. No rhyme or reason. Go figure.
(5)

Just got home from my dermatologist appointment.

When I told my dermatologist how stupid we were to lay out in the sun while slathered in baby oil, she said that her generation was just as stupid for going into tanning beds.

I suppose every generation makes their own mistakes.
(4)

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2024!!!
🙂🙂🙂🙂
(6)

golden: Happy to hear that you and R are doing well.
(6)

Beatty,

Are you a light sleeper?

Oh my gosh, I am dead to the world when I am sound asleep. One time I even slept through a hurricane! LOL 😆 I woke up and asked my husband, ‘When is the storm going to hit?’ He laughed and said that I slept through it!

I used to worry about sleeping through my children crying. Fortunately, that never happened. I think moms have an innate ability when it comes to our babies.
(2)

Golden,

The soup sounds delicious! I like a bit of heat too.

Hahaha. I am thinking about the old Doris Day movie, Pillow Talk. She was so cute!

I like pretty pillows too. My neighbor makes beautiful needlepoint pillows.

Cabbage, pork and black eyed peas are supposed to represent good luck and health. It’s a huge thing in the south. Everyone eats it on New Year’s Day.

So happy to hear that you and R are doing well.

Years ago I watched people in physical therapy after knee surgery. They all said that knee surgery was tough to recover from. I was doing physical therapy for my arm which I think is a lot easier than knee issues.
(3)

Happy New Year, everyone. May 2024 bring blessings to all.

Looking back, 2023 as a year of accomplishing things that had been "in the fire" for a while. Finally I moved and put the house up for sale, finally R sold his house and had his knee surgery. It feels good. Hoping for a peaceful 2024, reaping the benefits of the changes.

Need - I'm with you on the cabbage. Love it!!! I have a large head of cabbage from the farm and have been planning to make a recipe I found interesting - "Sweet and Sour Cabbage Soup." I think I'll jazz it up with a little heat too - make it "Hot, Sweet and Sour".

No traditions except taking it easy. As a family we rarely went out for New Years but preferred to stay home and play Trivial Pursuit. No hangovers here.

My new year's resolution - not to talk to pillows any more lol. I only did it once!

I have some pillows made from material with paintings of cats by Gustav Klimt and one of them really resembles Rocky and is life size. The light was low in the living room when I wandered in with my cup of coffee and saw "Rocky" on the floor under the coffee table so I started to talk to her then I realized it wasn't her but one of the pillows!!! Oh well. Better clean my glasses!
(8)

Nurse a hangover and vow to start a diet 🤣
(6)

🥳 Happy New Year 🎆🎈🎊!

It’s traditional here to celebrate New Year’s Day with eating cabbage, black eyed peas and pork.

My hubby doesn’t eat cabbage or black eyed peas so I always have to eat it alone.

What are your New Year’s traditions in your area?
(1)

Had the most peaceful sleep last night, briefly interupted by the boom of fireworks then again briefly by the houshold sneaking back in after going to see them.

Happy New Year to ALL of us 🎆
(5)

Amen to that way.

But Happy New Year to everyone!
(6)

Hoping next year is better for all !!
(4)

Best wishes for a happy and healthy 2024! 🍾🎉🎇🎊🎆
(5)

Thanks all for the balance exercise references.

"One, two, three, four, five, seex".
(1)

Margaret, I swear by balance exercises.

I am reading now a book free on Amazon Kindle Unlimited (Beginner Balance Exercises for Seniors by Zac Shaw) so am adding a few to my usual.

I first noticed years ago (am 81) that when I closed my eyes in shower to wash my face my balance went wonky. At the same time noticed that, though I weight 145, most I ever did, I feel like a feather in the winds on a moving bus.
Started some balance exercises then and am amazed how they have helped.

What I find fascinating in Shaw's book is the research on how the bones, tendons, muscles, neurons and synapses and even the cell docking stations for transmission ALL start to deteriorate at age 30 on. THIRTY! Who knew. My grandson is 5 years out from "starting to go rotten".
This includes even hormonal systems. I must say it is appalling to read and makes you know we were an animal designed to be born, grow up, reproduce a few kids and die before 35. Which is exactly what we used to do. It sure did avoid a whole lot of deterioration.

Anyway, Geaton always warns us we must try to stay mentally acute enough to keep up with tech as much as we can. So I will warn that we need to work on balance. You will wobble a whole lot at the beginning, but as you wobble along your brain is actually learning, adapting, exercising itself.
I well remember all my old patients who would have "BEDREST" ordered by their docs. They knew long before doctors learned that the prescribed bedrest has lethal side effects. They would just say "Oh, no, I can't stay in bed. If I do I will never get up again".
Truly, with the brain and the body, it is use it or we will lose it.
Can we make it go on forever? Nope. That's for dang sure. But we can keep it as well-oiled as we are able while it has to go on.

Happy New year to all!
(3)

Margaret, yes, do the exercises for strength and balance. I'm not a very disciplined person when it comes to physical exercise but after my knee replacement I knew I had to do it in order to return to tennis. It really amazed me how fast I made progress when I just did the prescribed exercises. The PTs called me a Rock Star, but better yet I felt stronger and confident. Keep doing a "great job"!
(2)

I posted on another thread about the 10 minute balance exercises that I had found. I did them for the fourth time tonight, and my wobbly ankles really are getting stronger. Yeah! I do like his Aussie accent, and I counted the number of times he said “You’re doing a great job”, sometimes shortened to “great job”. Nineteen times in 10 minutes, one every 30 seconds. Is this a record?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9xsYEzYNrE
(3)

Just an FYI about expired COVID tests. There is a govt website ( I believe) that list many of those tests and extends the expiration dates. Our Senior Center posted it recently when we had a small outbreak. Many of them are still good for months after the listed expiration date. Hope this helps some of you who have older tests and find pricing out of your range. Also there are still free tests available, try your library, senior center, fire or health departments. Good luck!
(1)

Re: COVID. Son (then 19, healthy, fit) caught it March 2020. Severe flu-like symptoms with manageable heart issues for 9 days. Vaccinations triggered 18 hours of minor heart issues. (we are all vaxxed)

Daughter (20, healthy, fit) caught it Aug 2023. Felt like strep throat and very bad flu for 6 days. Full recovery. Suspicious she may have been asymptomatic 2 years earlier as something triggered mild HSP. Full recovery.

Husband and I (no comorbidities) caught it from her. 102.5f peak temp, felt like a sinus infection with mild pneumonia. 3 days sick, another 2 blah, full recovery.

Quite the symptom variations within our immediate family.

We had family deaths, plus friends left with debilitating symptoms months/years later.

Sadly I have family still arguing that it’s not real, even as they were desperately ill themselves, in denial, swearing it was something else. One is still pushing ivermectin. Imagine thinking you know more than educated people with decades of field experience because you listened to a politician or watched an online video! I’d say “Darwinism” but the same crowd doesn’t believe he had any legitimacy either.
(2)

I hope that you feel better soon, JoAnn. Colds are miserable.
(2)

Burnt,

Most people in my family had Covid. I have friends that died. New Orleans was a hot spot for it. Covid broke out during our Mardi Gras!

One person that I know is so incredibly stupid. Here’s an example of what she says, “No one in my family had Covid, so I don’t believe it’s real.” And if that isn’t stupid enough, then she says, “The vaccine contains the ‘mark of the beast.’ Unbelievable that someone who has an advanced degree can be so stupid! Isn’t it?

I would be stupid if I tried to reason with a person like her. I had to walk away from her or I would have lost it. I had just lost a very close friend who died from Covid when she was spewing her crazy crap.

That documentary, Mommy Dead and Dearest blew my mind. That woman was horrible.

I was glad when the daughter was released from prison. I can’t imagine how she felt being confined to a wheelchair when she could walk. It’s shocking to see parents do these things.

The mother may have had a mental illness but I wholeheartedly agree with you that she abused her daughter her entire life. I also felt bad for the dad. She shut him out of the daughter’s life. It was good to see them reunited again. Her stepmother was sweet.
(1)

JoAnn, the only reason we paid for the tests was so we could request Paxlovid. And we only did it because it was the week of Christmas and we were hosting. Otherwise we wouldn't have cared less and not have bothered with the Paxlovid... just rode it out... because none of us (including my Mom) have worrisome pre-existing conditions.

AliBoBali, it's the mutating that causes covid to change. With every iteration it becomes more contagious and less deadly. Once you have covid you have some temporary immunity for "a while". When I had the original covid in 2021, I asked for an antibody test at CVS 4 months after my symptoms ended and I still had "some". But unless one gets a very expensive test, there's no way to know just how many antibodies and how much immunity a person has. Since we just got over our symptoms and quarantined for 5 days, we are no longer infectious and we have immunity to this variant for "a while".
(1)

I started fighting a head cold over 2 weeks ago. No fever just a cough because of an itchy throat, post nasal drip I am still fighting and that tired feeling. Lasted at least 10 days. No I did not test, we really don't leave the house that much. My government tests are gone and the last batch I ordered were expired within a month of delivery so never ordered the next round.

COVID is here to stay. Just like the flu, which still kills people. The flu, that the shot you get is just guess at which strain will show up this year. A few years back there was a new strain so that shot everyone got was useless. I am not paying $10 every time I have a sniffle to see if its COVID.

Masks, individual preference. My BIL, PHD in immunology, says they are useless but did wear them when asked to. He is not a jerk about them. The one thing they should cut out is shaking of hands. I have found no nice way of saying "I don't shake hands". I have never really liked the custom. With women, men are not suppose to extend their hand until a woman does. This is where germs are spread. We cough and sneeze in our hands. Blow our noses with our hands. A reason they should be washed a lot.
(4)

I think wearing a face mask is just considerate when you have a bug, have been around those who have them, and just in general during a time--like now--where flu and covid cases are increasing weekly.

I know some people are very averse to masks because they feel they can't breathe well with them on. I understand if they don't wish to wear one, but for everyone else, I don't get why they don't. I strangely like wearing a mask in public lately. It makes me feel safer, and I'm trying to be considerate, given I've been SUCH a sickie this fall... and with the newest of my funks, which is catching covid (probably) yet again. I had an uptick in some symptoms and felt lousy for 48 hours at the same time my SIL and niece came down with bad cases. Now I'm just dealing with the same old, very familiar, ever-present sniffling, sinus congestion, and fatigue. Ugh. I think getting the booster in early November helped keep things from worsening.

I'm starting new wellness measures all the time these days. The latest is diffusing some eucalyptus, peppermint, lavender, and tea tree oils. I might add more oils! lol The Internet says they help with wellness. SOMETHING has to help; that's all I know. I can't take this perpetual sicky business I've been going through for months. This has been the worst bout with fall bugs I've ever had.

Geaton, I agree the latest version of covid isn't as bad as 2020. Maybe people have built some immunity; maybe it's a weaker version. Thank goodness either way.
(2)

That Is all true Geaton ,
Tests are expensive . Not everyone can afford them . And yes it’s not possible to prevent all contagious disease . And yes some people can’t afford to miss days at work. That’s sad.

My gripe is with those that are consciously inconsiderate when they are having symptoms . My brother and his wife are very educated ( wealthy) people . No excuse for their selfishness of not informing their guests that they were ill .
(4)

In MN the covid test kits cost $10 and aren't reimbursable through private insurance. Not sure about Medicare since I'm not on it yet. My family alone spent $30 in test kits in a single week. Preventing contagious illnesses is NOT totally preventable, since many times people are infectious before they even show symptoms. It's a medical and scientific impossibility. That being said, if one is not feeling well, please just stay home, or wear a mask and gloves in public.
(4)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter