Follow
Read More
TNtechie, I have the same thinking as your oldest son. When we go out to eat and the food is not comparative to the price, I think, coulda made this at home for less money and better quality, then I think of the actual benefits, no dishes, getting out of the house and often trying new cuisine from anywhere in the world. Then I think of the dishes I have learned to make because of those experiences, even when the food was sub-par for the price. It keeps me going out :-)

Anyways, he has his head going in the right direction and I will pray that he finds balance in ALL things.

I am soooooo very happy to hear that it is a blessing all around. Praise The Lord! HE will guide you in everything you seek from HIM.

You are doing a stellar job with your 2 sons. Keep up the good work, food insecurity is a tough one to overcome but, you are dealing with it amazingly.

May The Lord touch each one of you and bless you exceeding abundantly!
(2)

These boys have given me a purpose and in many ways my life back much sooner than otherwise post-caregiving. There are a lot of challenges ahead and I pray to God I am able to meet them for these boys. Physically, they have recovered. Emotionally, the scars will never completely heal but they are becoming memories and I try to focus on separating knowing "why" you feel a certain way and reacting with your brain along with your feelings. One example, the younger boy does not "need" a snack drawer in his room but he still feels better having it and it doesn't cause any problems so why not indulge your feelings? On the other hand, trying to save food in your backpack that isn't shelf stable can make a mess in the backpack and may make you ill if you eat it later, so let the brain be in control and pass on saving certain types of food. We cannot control many of our feelings but we can control how we choose to act on those feelings.

We have all the drama of teenage and childhood life. Right now my grand-nephew is sorta suffering through the first girlfriend breakup. I say sorta because he left the ballgame last night with a new girl (and her mother) giving him a lift home before the varsity game ended.

A minor(?) challenge over finances with older adopted son. I give him access to all the family budgets and meal planning (hoping to teach him how to make spending choices) and he is definitely learning BUT he is questioning the weekly restaurant meal. Doesn't think its worth it since we can fix a meal that just as good at home for a fraction of the cost. He accepts my explanation that its more than a meal: its entertainment and learning public poise and appreciating other cultures and foods. If we needed more money for something else we would cut the cost by going less often or choosing less expensive restuarants but while we can pay our bills and put a signficant amount into savings - it's okay. And we save to have choices; although my example of being able to buy new shoes for his younger brother when he outgrew his school shoes before Christmas was undercut because I "took" the money from the clothing budget category... We'll have a totally unexpected expense sometime although I may have made this more difficult by estimating/ budgeting expenses into too many categories. He's a fine young man but I feel my biggest challenge at this point is to try to teach him to "balance". He wants to see everything as good or bad (home cooking=good, restuarant meal=bad) and I'm trying to make sure it he understands context (restaurant meal can be good if you can afford it). I don't want him to end up like my dad and never take a vacation or go to his kid's games because "that's a waste" of his time and money. Daddy had deprivation in his childhood that impacted his entire life; I don't want that major impact on my adopted son but I don't know if I will be able to really change the script.

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.
(3)

Tntechie, Yahoo!!! I have been praying for you and your boys. I am soooooo happy for all of you.
(4)

TN,

Yay! So very happy for you and your son! We adopted our little girl 35 years ago. I fell in love with her the moment I laid eyes on her. She was four and a half weeks old.

Congratulations on this wonderful news! You’re both blessed to be in each other’s lives.

When people told me that my daughter was blessed to be loved by us, I immediately responded with, “We are blessed to have an amazing daughter!”
(3)

Fantastic news! The judge completed the adoption process on my younger foster son today. He is mine and does not have to fear the foster care system anymore! His fear of being separated from his older brother _can_ be over, although I don't know yet if it will be any time soon.
(12)

Ana,

Yep, that’s another funny holiday movie. My favorite Chevy Chase movie is Funny Farm. I know that I have seen it at least a dozen times!
(0)

Need, tonight we watched National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation. I love how the doorbell chime becomes lower in tone and more ominous sounding as both sets of parents, fighting on the front porch, hammer it to be let in.

As the former family holiday hostess married to an eternal optimist, that movie is so relatable. An extra family of four shows up and my teeth grit along with Ellen Griswold. “We have plenty of room. Plenty of towels. Plenty of everything.”
(2)

Everyone needs an escape from reality sometimes. Just watched Elf. Such a fun movie to watch! I do love the magical spirit of Christmas!

I love the classics like, It’s a Wonderful Life and Miracle on 34th Street too, Charlie Brown and the Grinch are my favorites.

I know that Hallmark movies are popular but I find them to be mediocre and don’t watch any of them.
(3)

Need,

Yes . Time goes too fast
(1)

I can’t believe that this year is almost over! Anyone else feel like time goes by so much faster since we are older?

I remember thinking that I couldn’t wait to get older when I was a kid. Time seemed to move a lot more slowly than it does now in my late 60’s.

I look in the mirror and say to myself, where did the years go? I have a lot more years behind me than I have ahead. It makes me feel like we should make the most of the time that is left.
(3)

Burnt, having lived in Miami, FL and also just freshly returned from a visit to Chicago proper, I don't do wall-to-wall people well, either. But I don't like isolation, so the burbs are "just right" for me. The internet helps with the rural isolation but not other practical considerations.

Being in a very remote area in senior years... better hope that you can have your Depends delivered by drone or else have an entire room dedicated to a year's supply of boxes ;-) Maybe by then the medtech industry will have a procedure to fix incontinence safely and affordably. Right now it's neuromodulation, but you can't have dementia and use the controls for that device (smart phone) easily, or at all.

Living in rural areas also means very few social workers and county services, even fewer medical services and fewer yet care facilities. Fewer choices for caregivers.

I don't have anything against rural living but I'm a chronically practical person and I need to be careful about romanticizing what it will be like in my sunset years -- in my house on a hill and 2 full flights of stairs inside. My friend's Gramma (64 yrs old, so my age) just moved to a hobby farm in Wisconsin with her sickly alcoholic husband. Like hobby farms don't require much physical effort. Or money. Cue the smack to the forehead.
(2)

ITRR: You're welcome. And excuse that extra comma, but yesterday I was typing with dilated eyes.
(1)

Llama, Thank you for clarifying that, I thought you meant she wasn't backing up anymore.

You were very blessed that she decided to be safe vs. the alternative.
(1)

ITRR: I was implying that my mother willingly stopped driving.
(1)

@way

What a lovely mental image I'm picturing of a cat in a window seat chasing snowflakes. Get a picture of that if you can because I think that would make a splendid holiday card.

@Geaton

I wish I was out in rural North Dakota. I'm so tired of wall-to-wall people and traffic of a city. I hope your relative has a plan to move in a caregiver so they never have to move.
(4)

I totally understand that living in rural areas can mean less delivery options. I have a relative who lives in a very remote part of North Dakota where the nearest Target store is 80 miles and there's no Amazon delivery (to which I say just kill me now). So this is a reason to move before your elder self needs more and more help. Also, the cost of having a car is greater than the cost of paying for home delivery (loan payment, insurance, repairs/maintenance, gas) and is safer for everyone.
(3)

on near misses and caught being old….

DH had a small child dash out from a parked car after a moving van slowly passed the parked car.
Probably seemed very slow to the child. DH was behind the van. Raining. Windshield wipers on. Residential street. No one was speeding. The little boy seemed inches away to DH. He pulled up to the boy and told him Go home and tell your parents you almost got killed playing in the rain. I told DH the little boy probably told his parents an old man yelled at him if he told them anything. I asked DH what did the boy do after he was yelled at. Splashed in the water and took off running across the lawns. Obviously feeling very much alive while DH was spent with the drama of it all.

DH aunt, trying to be helpful, backed her car out of her driveway to allow for departing guests to back into her garage to load their bags more easily. Problem was, aunt backed across the street and into across the street neighbors drive which she had done many times over the years. But this time, she forgot the part where you apply the brakes and instead hit their garage door. She said to the neighbor. I’ll be right back with my check book.
(4)

First snow flurries of the season and I haven’t finished leaf raking 😬🙄.

The cat loves it . She’s on the window seat chasing snowflakes .

This means I really have to get going on Christmas , wrapping , sending cards , holiday decorating , at some point baking ……..
(6)

Lama, I busted out loud laughing about your legally blind mom making a stance on no more backing into her driveway.

I love tenacious old people that somehow just make things work and quit when they don't.

My grandpa had a close call with a very young child crossing the highway by themselves and he decided to give up driving because he knew he wouldn't have been able to live with harming another because his reflexes had slowed down. (For anyone being critical that he was allowed to drive to long, this little kid was obviously being neglected and was crossing a 6 lane highway outside of a crosswalk by themselves, it would NOT have been grandpa's fault. Praise God that he missed. I wouldn't have encouraged him quitting but, I supported his choice and got on the rotation to be his ride.)
(5)

Ali, I just want to say WELL DONE!!! You are rocking this.

12 weeks isn't so bad and you are going to rock your new classes too!
(3)

My mother, a,legally blind woman, exclaimed "That's the last time that I back my auto into my driveway." She was in her 80s and went on to live till age 94 with Geographic Atrophy.
(4)

Ali: Congratulations!
(3)

Ali,

Yeah, I know what you mean. It’s easy to take life for granted. We never know what is in store for our future.
(2)

There are times when I am whiny about something going on in my life, and I think back to just a century ago (and for millennia before that) when common folks lived very hard lives. It's easy to take things for granted, like being able to drive everywhere and not have any physical limitations that prohibit that. And, living in a big city, I have lots of options for transportation and having things delivered.

I remember my grandmother's neighbor telling me a story about how GM had gotten into a situation where she was on the wrong side of the road, and her car blocked traffic. She was so independent for so long, but she had to stop driving at some point. Macular degeneration claimed her eyesight, too, Need.
(3)

Wishing you all the best, Ali. You will do it. You’ve come this far. Anything that is worth having is worth the effort.
(2)

I've completed two MS degree classes with high A's in both classes. My advisor said taking classes one at a time is typical, and it's considered a full-time course load.

Both previous classes were difficult at times. I was also under the weather during a lot of them. But I not only passed, I have around 98% for both of them! That's not just an "A," that's a "you are crushing this, Ali" kind of A.

So... I'm doubling up. I'm taking Measurements, and, Ethics this next term. I just registered for the second class, and both start tomorrow.

It was a gut-check moment. Am I sure I can do this..? It won't be easy, but I can adjust my work schedule. I'm so fortunate to have flexible work right now.

Wish me luck. I have some dread because I know it will be non-stop reading and writing for the next 12 weeks, but I think I'll be fine once I get in the groove. And there's a Christmas break in the middle of the class, which means I will get a halfway-mark pit stop. I got this. 💪
(11)

cw,

It’s tough for people who don’t have access to public transportation.

It boggles my mind to think about pioneers who traveled from far away to attain a better life. Many died along the way. I admire them and am certainly grateful to them for blazing a trail for others to follow.
(1)

Yeah... grocery delivery is not an option for a whole lot of people who live in rural or disadvantaged areas, and those same areas are less apt to have any reliable transit options either. And of course those who must watch every dollar are not as apt to want to pay the fees associated with delivery either.
(3)

Geaton,

Very true! In today’s world we don’t necessarily have to drive. There are delivery options.

Bad weather is another cause for concern. So many things are responsible for accidents and many of them are completely avoidable.

Everyone should be aware about when it isn’t safe to drive.

If we are a caregiver, we should educate our family members that we are living in a new world with many options available for us.

No one has to get behind the wheel of a car and endanger themselves and others who are sharing the road.

We need to make public transportation more accessible for everyone for people who want to remain as independent as possible. Our city added more streetcar lines a while back.
(0)

The elderly driver issue: this is why all of us need to invest in and keep up with technology... so we can do convenient things like order our groceries and medications and everything else safely online and have it all delivered. I live in MN so if I can avoid driving to the store in bad weather or when the roads are icy, I certainly take advantage of home delivery. Also, with the advent of self-driving vehicles our hands-on driving "skills" may no longer be an issue in the future.
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter